Elite Soldiers Testing Lockheed Martin ONYX Exoskeleton

Elite soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division, a light infantry division in the United States Army based at Fort Drum, New York, will be the first to test exoskeleton technologies from Lockheed Martin that reduces the metabolic cost of transport to improve endurance and reduce fatigue on the modern battlefield.

Lockheed Martin ONYX exoskeleton screen grab via YouTube. (Source Lockheed Martin)

The U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC), a developer and tester of new material systems for U.S. Army soldiers, including the Future Force Warrior System, partnered with the 10th Mountain Division in February to prepare the transfer of the exoskeleton technology to the Army.

According to the Army Times, NSRDEC has spearheaded the movement in transferring exoskeleton technologies to the Army. One of the more advanced exoskeleton technologies that will soon be fielded is designed and manufactured by Lockheed Martin.

Army Times spoke with Lockheed officials about the next-generation powered lower-body exoskeleton, ONYX, which has demonstrated its overall capacity to enhance mobility and dramatically reduce fatigue of its users during previous pilot tests.

“Despite the variation in cost of transport difference between participants, the knee-exoskeleton consistently decreased the cost of transport of walking up an incline with a load,” said a report from the University of Michigan in a 2017 evaluation of ONYX.

Lockheed officials said the ONYX device would complete three phases of testing with the Army, starting as early as Fall 2018.

ONYX™ boosts leg capacity for physically demanding tasks such as lifting or dragging heavy loads, walking with load, or walking up or down hills. (Source: Lockheed Martin)

“The first phase will include a six-month development effort in which researchers work on the quality of life portions of making the knee- and hip-focused device fit comfortably and correctly to the soldier’s body,” said Keith Maxwell, senior program engineer of Lockheed Martin’s exoskeleton technologies.

The second phase of the program will start in 1Q19 to upgrade “faster, quieter actuators to the device,” said Army Times. Then the NSRDEC will transition into the third phase in late 2019 for ruggedized operational tests. Army officials told the Army Times that the exoskeleton could be fielded in a combat zone as early as 2021.

ONYX is embedded with sensors that report speed, direction, and angle of movement to a micro-computer attached to the user’s hip. Based on the compilation of data in real-time, the machine works with the human using electromechanical actuators at the knees, to assist knee flexion and extension with limited latency to complete a task.

Among other benefits, ONYX enforces orthopedic alignment to help evenly distribute weight and avoid skeletal overstress and pressure injuries. (Source: Lockheed)

In other words, ONYX will enable the solider to go the extra mile while carrying mission-essential equipment by boosting leg capacity. Lockheed Martin said the solider can now carry heavier weapons, increase the ability to cross rugged terrain and complete combat missions without overstressing the body.

“Despite the variation in cost of transport difference between participants, the knee-exoskeleton consistently decreased the cost of transport of walking up an incline with a load,” said Lockheed Martin in a statement.

It seems as the Army is just that much closer in turning its soldiers into cybernetic organisms, which will eventually lead to Skynet robots.

Wake me up when they are 1,000 ft tall.

How will this not wreak havoc on your joints on some level? I don't get it.

no

Soldier's joints are already fucked. Seriously, it'd be very difficult to have something worse than what we have now.
Don't ever join the military.

I'd imagine the suits would need some form of rudimentary machine learning and sensory grid to estimate stresses being or about to be experienced on the body to mitigate injury. That's always been my biggest concern with exoskeleton systems, the need to account for and predict stresses so the suit behaves as if it feels a part of you, so it doesn't move in ways the human body can't handle.

>we never forget (((who))) we’re working for
Are they even trying to hide it anymore?

vets check out meguca.org/pol

kind of cool i guess. but seems like the whole idea is a pipe dream

I wanna know how it fares in adverse conditions like in Jihadland.

We (LM) Protonex fuel cells now.

Army already spends at least $1 000 000 on gearing up every soldier (IFV Bradley for every squad). This exoskeleton retail cost is $40 000.

Just random information. This is second off shelf exoskeleton Lockheed purchased

Designed to help kill those who threaten the drug trafficking, human trafficking, and dick mutilating (((cult))).

If it's deemed impractical as an exoskeleton, it could be modified for more agile prosthetic motor and control systems embedded into dead weights. That means if it doesn't quite work out for exoskeleton use, it could be re-purposed into designing more realistic functional prosthetic parts for humans and robots alike. Lockheed Martin definitely isn't losing out by exploring exoskeleton designs even if it is a pipe dream.

It's supposed to reduce that… this being said, it's military hardware. The last concern is the long-term health of the soldier. They really don't give a fuck about you after you're no longer an asset, and they're too stupid to give a fuck about you when you are.

Hyperborean trips of truth, confirm.
(check'd)
That's because this is meme gear as long as they're using an electric device. It needs to be pneumatic. I'll fix it though one day.

Attached: 1526577998422.png (2220x2955, 5.14M)

Fuck off back to leddit.

bump

*fittest

vet should check out the chan for operators not megadead.org

Put a spring in the heel of boots and be done with it.

Meguca is a bunch of circlejerking faggots. They even ban anons for posting a single pepe.

find and kill darpa employees

American Ziborgs incoming.

RISE MOTHERFUCKERS RISE

STORM THE STREETS

CREATE CELLS AND PLANS

DEAD DROP REDPILL AND WARFARE INFO TO NORMIES

RADICALIZE THOSE AROUND YOU

JEWISH TYRANNY AND ELITE SATANIC PEDOVORE VAMPIRISM END HERE

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

pretty much this, there is a storm coming, it isn't Trump, it isn't the commies. it's the reaction that will take place once the populace decides it's had enough.

Attached: 1 (2).jpg (382x597, 36.25K)

Checked for a 4cuck filter

This is old as shit dude, the military has been experimenting with exo suits since the late 90s. They're not practical in a real combat situation and are basically glorified carts to carry shit.

Got a month ban for making fun of larpagans. They got a new ban happy mod who wields the hammer with his feelings rather than tact and logic.
sage for off topic.

what did they mean by this?
even without the implications thats a shitty slogan to begin with

Why'd you do it user.
*Cue music, they both turn to camera*

They're gonna push loadout to levels only safe with exoskeleton, then when it inevitably runs out of juice or fails, soldiers will
A) have to drop gear and make choices of what to keep, all mid-fight ofc
B) have it fail mid stride and gain catastrophic injury ribbon

It's a fuckin boondoggle

hmmm

>we never forget (((who))) we're working for

the kikey has a new home, eh? fuck that place

Kek, had to laugh. Well done, an all too true.

this user is a vet. He knows how it works.

Real mecha would look more like VOTOMs or patlabor

Careful with all that edge kiddo.

Attached: logo.png (275x256, 62.25K)

It looks like retard leg braces

Miracles happen, user.

Attached: gump-braces.png (1044x439, 516.45K)

Back in 'Nam, we carried our own Charlie-roasters up hills and over rocks and through rivers by sheer strength and desire to roast some slant eyes while they hid in their tunnels smoking dope fucking their 6 year olds. Who needs a goddamn knee brace to carry a load up a fuckin hill? Goddamn pansies, that's who! You young bucks these days don't know what a real fight is. All a man needs are his balls and his rifle. And some napalm. Lots of that shit. But he doesn't need a fuckin knee brace. I'm 65 years old and I don't even need no fuckin knee braces. Stop looking at Chinese cartoons on the internet and go hunt down a gook somewhere and shoot him between his sideways eyes and you'll know what life is all about. But leave the knee braces at home, ya buncha Nancys

The owner is the one banning Zig Forumsacks.

I'd expect something more like what we see in Gasaraki.

Why is Zig Forums so technological illiterate? This is the future right here, the proto-space marine.

How praytell, would they hack your exoskeleton without physical access to it?

Look at this kid!
Back in my days we didn't use no stinkin rifles. We used swords, like real men. We didn't kill from distance like scared pansies - no, you'd look your opponent right in his eyes as you gutted him.
Who needs fancy-shmancy rifles? All you need is your balls, guts and determiantion.

Do you honestly think they'll be retarded enough to give it wireless abilities for no reason? This is supposed to go into combat, not the nearest Starbucks.

They should have never released this video. It looks gay and faggy like they're just trying to cause our adversaries to lose whatever respect and fear they have of American military men.

I'm just waiting for them to make a powered armored full body suit that would actually enhance not just lifting stuff, but also in combat also.

This is 'murrica. 1000lb fat is more likely.

This is the military. Of course they're retarded.

The army will run out of recruits under 300lbs in the near future. They need contingency plans to deal with that.

With a crusader-looking helmet with an integrated megaphone for screaming DEUS VULT! while charging at the enemy.

doesn't look like it has any external power. if an exoskeleton fails for a being with a skeleton that being can shed the exoskeleton and replace it later if needed.

it's cheaper and actually viable to repair/replace a broken exoskeleton than to repair/replace a human leg.

Attached: sandia-generator.png (2496x3232, 119.31K)

Its literally just a brace

Attached: DESTROYZOG.jpg (510x717, 188.45K)

That is going to make more than a few gimpy vets.

Does this make a solider carry more? Run faster? Run faster while carrying more? This video demonstration doesn't really show much. From what I read, its nothing more than a fancy knee brace that goes all the way up the leg to prevent soldiers from injuring their ligaments.

Obviously the tech is in fancy, but yes, it will be able to run when servo tech becomes better.

Power armor augments your strength so you should be able to carry more stuff.

The problem with exoskeletons isn't motors or control, it's fucking batteries. Without worthwhile energy storage nobody has bothered to build one. Otherwise it's literally doable with 1950s/60s tech.

Modern polymer construction would reduce weight a lot, but you are right.

It's all about that battery.

Exo-skeleton would be revolutionary for self-defense and militia building IF the government allows to have some.

The article talks about wanting quieter actuators, so apparently they are confident in battery life.

The thing I'd be worried about is the soldier's leg health after extended usage of this thing.

Idk so much about a solider but I used to play American Football a lot growing up. I doubt this thing will cause a soldiers legs to get worse. A lot of athletes have terrible legs when they get older because they did not have proper braces and they turn 50 and they cant walk anymore. Im only 23 and I had to have total knee reconstruction because I didnt wear a brace. I can only image what a solider goes through.

What's up with all the Russian comments in OP's video?

Ruskies are also testing their own exo-skeleton.

Checked

Attached: 782.png (600x1106, 563.21K)

The point where you can make an effective exoskeleton is the point you can make a robot soldier that is remotely controlled. Robot soldiers are more practical than exoskeletons 99% of the time.

Exoskeleton soldiers will never be a thing.

Yeah, my knees still make clicking sounds from carrying all that horseshit around. The hajis are running around you in track pants and sneakers, but god forbid you just wear your t-shirt under your IBA body armor when it's 100 degrees out. Meanwhile, the poge nigger attached to your company with the shaving profile is growing a velcro bush on his face.

It's sad to see Zig Forums so overwhelmingly filled with teenagers, retards and retarded teenagers.

Battery technology is constantly improving and a small ICU generator can be used to keep the batteries topped up.

Real life isn't whatever shitty hollywood film you have in mind.
Don't let the enemy walk up and insert USB sticks into the control pack.

They're only strapped onto the wearer at a few points, if you can't get them off with ease you probably also have trouble dressing yourself and tying your shoelaces.

The whole point is to ease the strain on your joints, I don't at all understand how anyone would think exoskeletons would do the opposite.

Robots aren't smart enough to act independently and in any kind of real conflict will be rendered useless by jamming.
There's no replacement for having a human brain on-site.

Anyone who claims powered exoskeletons are going to suddenly make Starship Troopers or Warhammer a reality are obviously clueless but all the nay-saying in the world won't stop the technology (once it matures) from being handy for increasing load bearing capacity and reducing joint strain for infantry.

Attached: 1449324096185.jpg (1600x1067, 246.78K)