Uber self-driving car “likely” not at fault in fatal crash

arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/police-chief-uber-self-driving-car-likely-not-at-fault-in-fatal-crash/

The chief of the Tempe Police has told the San Francisco Chronicle that Uber is likely not responsible for the Sunday evening crash that killed 49-year-old pedestrian Elaine Herzberg.

“I suspect preliminarily it appears that the Uber would likely not be at fault in this accident," said chief Sylvia Moir.

Herzberg was "pushing a bicycle laden with plastic shopping bags," according to the Chronicle's Carolyn Said, when she "abruptly walked from a center median into a lane of traffic."

After viewing video captured by the Uber vehicle, Moir concluded that “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway."

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 7.19.25 PM.png (732x426, 460.45K)

Welcome to the United StatStates of China.

Seriously though, who gets arrested if a self-driving car kills somebody?

As much as I'd like to lambaste our corporate overlords with my fellow anonymous deplorables, fuck people who wander out into the middle of the street. I fucking hate jaywalkers.

Attached: aaa2032da71e86c08a7417e079668dba2203b71d47a68e66258a356a817befa1.png (1600x674, 349.64K)

That's the point

Michael Hastings

What happened to pedestrians always have the right of way?

Nobody, since it's the pedestrian's fault apparently.

Clearly this warrants a blanket ban of all semiautomatic vehicles.

people shouldn't lay down in the street waiting for autonomous cars to run over them tbh

What happened to people using cross walks and looking both ways before stepping into oncoming traffic?

The real problem is these antisemitic mysogynist computers!!! Can't they see she had the right of way in her mind!?!?!?

What a world to live in.

A: absolutely nobody

Q: who gives a fuck about a nigger bitch pushing a shopping cart filled with plastic bags?

tbh, the AI driver is probably already a safer driver than the average human driver. and it will only become better as time passes. unless a bunch of whiny faggots like you force them to put the project on the back burner for another 10 years.

Personally I think the autonomous cars should be on the designated elevated roads with no people allowed on the roads.

Are you that faggot who got laughed out of a thread months ago for thinking that self driving cars forced on everyone is the way to go?

Makes sense.

Just learn to drive properly.

Obviously you should anticipate people you can't see entering the road. We should all drive at 5mph just in case.

Let's ban the wheel too

It was driven by a trans latinx criminal.

Obviously russians hacked the car, duh.

In order for a computer to be at fault for a car crash, it needs to be in some contrived worst-case scenario where it can't save itself without harming others.
In order for a human to be at fault for a car crash, they just need to be looking at a cell phone for two seconds.
Calling the computer unsafe because it's not an infallible future-seer is holding it to a higher standard than any human.

It was a highway. What moron would walk across a highway?
oy