Bill requiring schools to display 'In God We Trust' motto passed by Tennessee lawmakers

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/379689-bill-requiring-schools-to-display-in-god-we-trust-motto-passed-by

Tennessee lawmakers have passed a bill requiring that public schools in the state put up the motto "In God We Trust."

The legislation, which will go to Gov. Bill Haslam (R), passed the state House earlier this week, USA Today reported.

"Our national motto is on our money. It's on our license plates. It's part of our national anthem," said state Rep. Susan Lynn (R), who sponsored the legislation.

"Our national motto and founding documents are the cornerstone of freedom and we should teach our children about these things."
Under the bill, schools would have to display the motto in a "prominent location" such as a school entryway, cafeteria or common area.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 7.57.40 PM.png (641x355, 292.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ellison
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Atheists btfo

Good!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Like it or not, its unconstitutional

Try again

Attached: black and white.jpg (620x620, 12.49K)

i've used this argument to blast California but in this case thank god for based Tennessee. if i had an army i would choose 10,000 people from Tennessee over all of California, and I am a Catholic.

Attached: finisha.jpg (1590x2250, 401K)

This trash was never our motto, never part of the pledge of allegiance, and never on our money. It was added later, unconstitutionally, by scumbags. Get this garbage outta here.

When God himself does not speak, politicians need to do it for him.

But with state fused with church, American government and law has been nullified.

Of course, I haven't forgotten the truth I learned when I was still curious about such things: All religions are false, and there is no god.

how many hidden pedo communities on reddit is there? i didnt even know that site existed until the fappening, and then when i looked up shit about reddit i found out one of the biggest subs was r/jailbait. imagine how many people make a sub called /19749823789274892 or some other shit and post it wherever on whatever irc, etc.

This. reddit is several magnitudes worse than 8ch's little cabal. Maybe this butthurt retardposter ought to focus on that before crying about this place.

Yes yes, but the more important part is the leftists and commies will be kvetching over this for a while.

Attached: 1ebb62fc25da1fe67257d52aacd1c8f7d8871af068c5daa422256baf00810dcb.png (1531x1723, 813.16K)

Which religion is this establishing?

thanks for the links!

I see no problem with this

Considering congress or house, forget which just passed fosta, a bill that said you can be punished post facto for things you have done prior to the passing of the bill, yet making a law like that also violates the constitution, and may be the thing to oust trump if he signs it, but if he goes down he takes all but 2 seats in congress with him.

Then shouldnt the so-called publically owned (((Federal Reserve))) remove it from our currency?

This will stop the shootings! kids just need more religion in their lives

Attached: hmmm.jpg (750x500, 61.34K)

Yeah, that'll make things better. Putting "In God we trust" on money and using Bibles and saying God in the legal courts sure cleansed out all the corruption in those systems.

Attached: 1402517424841.jpg (500x276, 35.51K)

In Zorach v. Clauson (1952), the Supreme Court also wrote that the nation's "institutions presuppose a Supreme Being" and that government recognition of God does not constitute the establishment of a state church as the Constitution's authors intended to prohibit

while you can argue it should not be done, the courts argue that the constitution just limits establishment of a state church and institutions are free to wrap themselves up as christian as they like. you'll have to wait for enough muslims get into government and propose swearing on the quran and putting inshallah on the wall for anyone to actually get a clue about separation of church and state

Already happening
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ellison

First of all, it's not "our money", it's debt notes issued by a private bank, backed by the credit (lol) of the federal government which is $62 trillion in debt when you account for unfunded obligations.

Second, IGWT has only been the "official national motto of the US" since 1956. It was originally used ironically during the Civil War when Abraham Lincoln got the US off the international gold system and allowed Congress to basically print money willy-nilly. Most money was backed up by gold at the time, but the statement "in God we trust" was somewhat blasphemously declaring the US is no longer backed by gold, but by its belief in God delivering them victory over the rebels soon. Lincoln was promptly assassinated and the US oscillated on the Gold Standard until the Federal Reserve Act put the control of the US's money supply in the hands of a private bank without gold backing.

The best solution of America's monetary policy is to end the Fed system, start printing its own money, and do so without gold. Also, we don't need IGWT on the money, it was just a sick joke at the time, and our humor has changed. Congress made it the motto because the 50s saw a rise of new evangelicalism and they decided to make the phrase unironic.

While I don't think it should be mandated I think I'll enjoy the autistic screeching it will cause.

No religion is being established.

No speech is being prohibited. In fact it would be you trying to prohibit religious speech.

Well no problem there.

See, you Marxist retard, the laws were intended to prevent the STATE from imposing its will on a religion, not to prevent a religion from imposing its morals on the state. To prevent a religion from imposing its morals would require the prohibition of free speech.

So fuck off.

Attached: 1501973588042.gif (350x233, 348.82K)

14 Amendment - "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States"

A protection from Congress also applies to all the state legislatures.

That's not what the Framers meant. The text is

…shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion…

Establishment is used here in the way you would say a company or organization. Respecting is used as in "in regards to". To paraphrase it in more simplified English

…shall make no law in regards to any religion…

Belief in God is a component of established religions. Having a law that mandates the use of a phrase which evokes a component of a religious establishment is unconstitutional.

Good!

They are FORCING speech on people, forcing all the public schools to display specific words, rather than prohibiting speech.
The speech also seems to be respecting the establishment of monotheism, a form of religion.

congress is not passing that law. so it's okay. in fact, if congress tried to STOP tennessee schools from doing it they would be breaking the constitution that says they have the freedom to exercise it.

Shit son I didn't know we were in the cOLD war still.

See
Also maybe you should try reading a Bible sometime, it'll do you some good. inb4 >berg

Attached: less of a faggot.jpg (500x477 271.35 KB, 279.5K)

I'm Christian, and I'm not sure about this. It seems very unconstitutional, and will probably cause more problema that it will solve. If the above weren't true, I'd be happy about this.

From Tennessee's own constitution, Section 3:

That all men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own conscience; that no man can of right be compelled to attend, erect, or support any place of worship, or to maintain any minister against his consent; that no human authority can, in any case whatever, control or interfere with the rights of conscience; and that no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religious establishment or mode of worship.

Important parts

Putting the motto of the federal government which indicates a preference for God is unconstitutional in Tennessee. The Tennessee motto is much better.

Agriculture and Commerce

Right on, this is like a sad attempt at right wing virtue signalling. It isn't going to make anyone become a Christian or believe in God, just like writing it on money has never done. This country needs to change its values, but this won't help one bit.

What it will do is cause outrage & resentment that religious people are pushing their belief in God on people. People will point to this as an example of how "the Christians" want to force their will on everyone, like religious SJW's.

Who is going to pay for public schools to put the words "In God we trust" on all the Tennessee public schools? Won't it be the taxpayers, and won't the money come from a budget that should be better spent?

Attached: 1519963229754.jpg (500x720, 90.11K)

There's dozens of monotheistic religions in the world so which one in particular is being established?

This is Tennessee, so really, we know it's Christianity. But why should it be one form of a particular religion? Why push the belief in monotheism and then act like expressing belief and trustful faith in one God isn't religious sentiment?

it says no preference for any god. simply saying "god" does not imply which, so you're still free to think it's any one you want , or none if that's your choice.
8ch is so fucking hypocritical. atheists and trump loving anti-immigrants are not compatible views you morons. get consistent.