Ancient tablet of Odyssey epic discovered in Greece

An ancient tablet engraved with 13 verses of the Odyssey has been unearthed in southern Greece in what is possibly the earliest-recorded trace of the epic poem, the culture ministry said Tuesday.

The clay slab is believed to date back to the third century, during the Roman era.

"If this date is confirmed, the tablet could be the oldest written record of Homer's work ever discovered" in Greece, a ministry statement said.

The extract, taken from book 14, describes the return of Ulysses to his home island of Ithaca.

france24.com/en/20180710-ancient-tablet-odyssey-epic-discovered-greece

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.49.31 PM.png (655x339, 341.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/n/res/643833.html#q643833
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hell yeah bitches new content

Nice.

GazzelleGash – would you mind terribly if this thread could turn into a general scientific and archeological discovery thread?

bumping for real news for a change.

waiting to see which direction this motherfucker goes

Attached: Screen-Shot-2016-01-14-at-2.26.00-pm.png (986x992, 1.33M)

This idea is approved by all mods and Jim also approves.
Even Jasalle approves, but says you misspelled his name.

Lel!

Ahhh. The wait and see approach.
Meanwhile, I'm just here sitting in my tin can, far above the world.
Well, I am sitting on the can anyway.

Attached: download_20180713_201856.jpg (540x960, 179.45K)

I didn't like any of the YouTube videos about the Volgograd Discs, because they were all made by idiots claiming they were actually UFOs

And the only video that didn't claim they were UFOs was the most boring god damed video I've ever seen in my life….

Attached: stone-disc.jpg (863x492, 74.14K)

when I read 'the wait and see approach', I almost shit myself

Tell us more. Any interesting articles about the discs you have read that you might be willing to share?

I'm glad you asked

I was able to find this one video that explains it thoroughly….

And as if that's not fascinating enough, there are the 150,000 year old pipes discovered in China near pyramid

JizzyJazz, thank you for inviting us to all join in and make your thread a better, kinder, improved bastion of information and eye opening knowledge

Attached: PicsArt_07-14-12.15.19.jpg (192x240, 16.27K)

The improved soundtrack for this video is fast becoming my favorite song.

I prefer the mellifluous voice depicted in the soundtrack accompanying this video myself.

Attached: download_20180713_201824.jpg (1138x1153, 245.83K)

In the words of Jeff Lynne and his band ELO, "well, I can't get it out of my head"

and never forget THIS> >>644855

Attached: PicsArt_07-14-12.28.04.png (1080x846, 655.04K)

I know that you're going to think I'm just making yourself or I'm trying to be cute or coy or funny or something, but I SWEAR TO GOD THIS IS TRUE:

I have been walking around singing that fucking song for days now… My friends have been begging me to stop. My son wants me to please stop singing it. Wendy has been getting Furious…

At first she was just saying "please stop", but as the days have gone by, and I Can't Stop Singing his rip-roaring rendition of 'Looking For a City', her mood has gone from bad to worse….

Now she's livid…..

And I'm not exaggerating at home when I say I'm actually humming that song right now…..

Ooops!!

I'm not exaggerating at ALL* when I say that I'm actually humming that song right now as I speak

Have you noticed they hid this thread from the catalog and will not let it appear on the front page?
Another identical article with a different title, written by "Anonymous" popular guy around here! can now be found on page 4:
I bet the mod is tickled pink with his craftiness, actually thinking we give a shit and will hesitate to defecate on any thread we choose!

I feel kind of like the YouTube video equivalent of an archaeological Explorer, having unearthed pure golden Dynamite…..

If you care to study it closely, he opens with a little story about how he became so famous singing this song.

He talks about how fortunately was to get to perform this song with a quarter on stage, very humble, and then he says he somehow 'beat them', as if it was a contest, and not to brag or anything, "but that's what happened"….

THEN, after announcing the song, a trained pianist begins playing the opening strains of the composition, but this guy seems upset, as if the pianist is an amateur… He complains "oh, I didn't know you were going to begin it with that"….

(the correct opening intro)

Then, being the showman that he is, the consummate professional, it turns to the crowd and shrugs his shoulders, as if to say "oh well, the pianist isnt a professional"

And he's so talented, he knows EGG ZACK LEE™ when to 'jump right in there', and make up for the any lack of expertise on the musicians part…

And he doesn't waste any time singing actual VERSES from the song, instead deciding to just keep repeating the CHORUS over and over and over and over, each time using the magical musical formula of raising the chorus by one semitone…

And that body posture is working all true professionals use when singing, but he decides to give the crowd what they want, and he stands up to 'get down and get busy'!!

…. They say always finished babe, and DOES HE EVER !!!

Lol @ popular haha

god DAMN!! my speech to text is really fucking up tonight HAHAHAHAHA LIKE I GIVE A FLYING FUCK!!!

*sings* "looooookin for a ceeeety"

WTF?
Won't let me crossthread either?
I'm going to dig around a bit and see what I can unearth about this.

Uh oh lol I'm in trouble now!!

Wendy is refusing to talk to me, and my son just came in and stood at my door staring at me silently as if to say "DAD, STOP SINGING THAT SHIT!!"

I think it's fair to say that for people who always say we can't 'ruin their threads', we are pretty much DESTROYING THEM, and they're getting pissed as shit

Back as top story in the catalog of /jewspus/, but maybe a Jash bread is not allowed on Zig Forums anymore!

My oldest daughter is getting quite irritated with me repeatedly playing the song too. My youngest shut her door and put on her headphones.

I reported the duplicate thread….

Attached: Screenshot_20180714-010744.png (1080x1920, 228.41K)

Kids these days…..

If there was a way to tattoo that song on my face, IN THAT GUYS VOICE, I'd be at a tattoo parlor right now

Whelp! The other thread is bumpable and is now at the top of page 1 on Zig Forums. Guess I'll head over there to post more archaeology and science news.

Oh great!
Reporting yourself now, are we?

This is some weapons-grade autism you've got going on there friend.

There's a long story behind this pic that Wendy made, but the short version is that '''This Is HAL, a 43 year old guy we met who has never had a girlfriend, not even once, still lives with his mother (who is broke because of him) refuses to get a job, and is incapable of carrying on a simple everyday conversation…

He's not retarded or anything. He's just SO LAZY that he can't think of anything to contribute to a conversation or anything interesting to say if asked a question….

So I've been bombarding him with texts and retouched pics of him with another throwaway phone I rarely use….

Attached: PicsArt_07-12-10.57.52.jpg (1850x1480, 119.43K)

I figure if there's any way to get a thread pruned, it would be to say that I created it

It's worth a try

Isn't it already Caturday where you live?

Attached: ad91cc77cccafd64d1865b62ca707428a0de903a095c35a085542ce15f5e3d21.png (929x895, 618.64K)

post discarded