Android Q will include more ways for carriers to SIM lock your phone

Since last week’s leak, it’s been clear that Android Q is going to include some positive changes for Android going forward, like system-wide dark mode and new permissions settings. Unfortunately, it’s not all good things coming in Android Q, as new code changes show that network carriers will have more ability to lock your phone down to specific networks via your SIM card.

Over the weekend, four commits were posted to various parts of Android’s Gerrit source code management, all entitled “Carrier restriction enhancements for Android Q.” In them, we see that network carriers will have more fine-grained control over which networks devices will and will not work on.

More specifically, it will be possible to designate a list of “allowed” and “excluded” carriers, essentially a whitelist and a blacklist of what will and won’t work on a particular phone. This can be done with a fine-grained detail to even allow blocking virtual carrier networks that run on the same towers as your main carrier.

more here:
9to5google.com/2019/01/21/android-q-carriers-sim-lock/

Attached: pixel_3_verizon_sim_lock_12.jpg (2500x1250, 157.37K)

These users deserve it then

…So they get to block shitters like boost mobile now. Great. I'm pretty sure a lawsuit will follow and this will get ruled illegal. All infrastructure for internet/TV/phone while may be "owned" privately quotes because all of ATTs line were paid for by the US taxpayer and given to ATT they must be leased to use as functionally identical to the "owner".

I don't use this CRAP at all. Never owned a "smartphone" and never will. Fuck off big tech.

Attached: 783332322.png (916x592, 397.52K)

(((OY)))
(((VEY)))

BAD GOYIM!

this angers the jew

should we lynch the programmer that commited this code

postmarketOS cannot arrive soon enough. Time to start supporting it.
Same fpr Librem 5. So glad they managed to get the dev kits out finally.

(also, this . IF YOU USE ALMOST ANY COMMERCIAL COMPUTING DEVICE IN ITS DEFAULT STATE, YOU ARE BEING EXPLOITED AND RESTRICTED. Install LineageOS, install MX Linux or a Zig Forums-approved OS like Void. Get MyCroft AI instead of Google Home and Amazon Alexa)

you can! god i love open source

Q is a Google developed AI experiment: Confirmed.

Stop whining & start using flip phones, niggers! Oh, so u want internet, use a fuckin laptop running unix!

unix? what is this 1990?

Fine-grained, fine-grained, boring

Literally all of you use Google I fucking know it.

Doesn't mean shit I can make my toaster a smartphone. If you use a sim card you are tapped you dumb fuck.

irrelevant, only burgers get phones from carriers, rest of the world buys them unlocked

Personally think US should do the same, that and nationwide right-to-repair.

wew

Only YouTube (increasingly Tor-ifyed) and occasionally completing captchas (not by choice)
That's it. LineageOS without gapps does not count. Searx instances dont count

I'm starting to see that Richard Stallman's a lot smarter than he looks…

Idiot