John Carpenter and /leftykino/

Since there's already a /leftytv/ thread, let's have a /leftykino/ thread too.

What do you guys think of John Carpenter?
Artistically he's a great filmmaker, one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite.
Politically I think some of his movies are really interesting and it's refreshing to see American movies being anti establishment and left-leaning.

Also, what are some good lefty movies or directors you'd recommend?

Attached: TIU-noticias-John-Carpenter-Kyle-Cassid.jpg (1068x1600, 99.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Djf5uOkmhSc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi
thepiratebay.org/torrent/7785516/La.Chinoise.1967.720p.BluRay.FLAC.x264-PublicHD
youtube.com/watch?v=BvGZtGdXc4A
youtube.com/watch?v=qr1oGuOwVDk
imdb.com/title/tt0065234/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love several of his movies but not for political reasons. If Zig Forums was right and TL was about jews I'd like it anyway.

Daily reminder /ourguy/ pissed off the alt right last year

Attached: d9824ea942fa76388aa124be0c34f5042cba2b7f2f787ddea3641eb05e129c8f.jpg (1188x860, 162.51K)

I love the architecture and atmosphere of his films. Gritty portrayals of run down urban areas will always feel more real than sleek curated cityscapes viewed from a helicopter.

I love that man

Attached: thingken.gif (256x256, 697.93K)

That Ben guy won the twitter argument by virtue of the fact that every retard responding to him has no idea how to respond to him.

The Thing is my favorite movie. I like Garland's Ex Machina and Gilliam's Brazil, too. THX-1138 is an interesting watch.

Attached: TOphEKm.gif (499x205, 486.57K)

The Thing is absolutely amazing!

I really need to see Brazil.
I love cyberpunk and dystopian movies in general.

Will also check out Ex Machina and THX-1138.

I wonder how those alt right idiots manage to miss the point so badly? He was using a traditional method of indirectly conveying a message, much like H. G. Welles criticized British imperialism in the War of the Worlds by subjugating the heart of the mighty British Empire to Martian invasion with the end goal of colonization, and indirectly asked "How do you like being on the receiving end for once?"
In They Live the billboards and commercials carry a hidden subliminal message which can only be seen by wearing special glasses. The purpose is to keep the populace docile and predictable, to keep them consuming and reproducing while unknowingly acting against their own good and for the benefit of the hidden few. These hidden messages behind the ads and billboards do not however differ much from the consumerist spirit which's ingrained in the plain normal ads to begin with. The alien infiltration and manipulation of our cultural and spiritual landscape is completely irrelevant, it's existence or nonexistence changes nothing. The commercials still tell the same tale, with or without subliminal signals. No manipulation required.

In this light it is laughably easy to see that the great alien conspiracy is merely a framing device, much like in the War of the Worlds, to allow the fundamental message to seep past our knee-jerk dismissive reactions towards open and harsh criticism. Criticism, that's in this case directed towards capitalism, market psychology, and the standing cultural hegemony. It places the viewer in front of an obvious, yet ironically hidden and indirect question: "If you think alien subliminal messages and manipulation is a bad thing, you're rooting for the hero after all, why do you not hate capitalism? What's the difference?"

Attached: gd.gif (613x771 232.45 KB, 42.59K)

Have you not noticed neo-nazis conflate jew with socioeconomically dominant faction in the same manner that "intersectional feminists" conflate socioeconomically dominant faction with straight cis white male?

A really good little known documentary I've seen is East Side Story. It's about musical films in East Germany and the Eastern Bloc and covers musicians like Frank Schobel. It's pretty good and is on YouTube in English. I recommend it.
youtube.com/watch?v=Djf5uOkmhSc

Attached: East Side Story.jpg (292x475, 44.79K)

Well, yes. That's sort of my point. It doesn't matter who pulls the strings, the strings are still there to begin with.

Carpenter makes cult movies, not good movies.
And /leftykino/ is stupid, you can read every movie ever made from an anti capitalist stand point. Even movies that are made by anti communist such as pic related.

Attached: its-awonderfullife-email.jpg (639x480, 87.87K)

GitS movies, Jin-Roh and Patlabor 2 are a critical theorist's wet dream

Attached: 40198.jpg (225x350, 38.89K)

Are you trying to compare him to someone like John Ford or Andrei Tarkovski? Because as far as suspense and horror goes, he's one of the best.

He makes really quotable "cool" movies and as far as mainstream american horro movies he's good, that said I think he's contributions to the media are overrated.
His technical department is obviously top notch, but the guy himself is kind of an overplayed meme.
And no, I'm not comparing him to john ford or Tarkovsky, I see nothing bad in doing more accessible movies or more mainstream and I'm not snobbish, It's just that his movies imho are more cult movies and t shirt movies than actually good movies.
He's awesome at doing music tho

I don't really know man, Halloween and The Thing are timeless classics, which revolutionized the Genre of horror in multiple ways.

And let's not forget that In The Mouth Of Madness is one of the best horror movies ever made.

Especially if you're into Lovecraftian horror.

Too bad Lovecraft as a person makes it really really hard to enjoy Lovecraft's works, honestly.

Reminder that even Zizek loves Carpenter's movies.

Zizek said he hate scorsese movies which is the worst opinion you can have on anything ever.
Zizek is not a cinephile

Zizek is a great man

I think The Thing is one of those movies that's just "perfect".

Agreed.
I love Kurt Russell, too bad he's annoyingly libertarian…

i recommend the qatsi-trilogy by godfrey reggio. it's an experimental film and actually a docu, but you can still watch it in a cinema. music by philip glass.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi

Attached: 818el54i3jL._SL1500_.jpg (1210x1500, 319.28K)

yes

oh hell no

the first one is the best one

Fuck no.

Do you mean best?

Ehhh I love Scorsese but he's almost as hit or miss as Kevin Smith tbh.

Ok no, not that bad

What are you two motherfuckers talking about?
How in the hell is scorsese a bad director? This is a /tv/ tier nuclear take

So are you faggots just going to conveniently ignore that the villain from Escape from LA was a literal /yourguy/ with an ucanny resemblance to Che?

If anything, Carpenter's most likely a lolbertarian.

Attached: 498417.1.jpg (900x600, 102.08K)

I think most people are trying to forgot the whole movie tbh

Don't get me wrong, I love Scorsese, I'd never say he's a bad director but he made some horrible movies.
Then again so did Carpenter

They Live is basically what would happen if Adorno wrote a movie tbh. If the alt right actually knew what the Frankfurt school was all about instead of just believing memes about them then they might pick up on it.

To be fair Frank Capra also made “The Battle of Russia” which is probably the ☭TANKIE☭st movie ever made.

Nah it can't beat Fall of Berlin.

It’s at the very least the most ☭TANKIE☭ movie made outside of the eastern bloc.

What about the North Star?

How intelligent do you have to be, to be a cinephile?

Attached: f93.png (898x790, 279.22K)

It's a wonderful life is anti capitalistic. The House Un-American Activities Committee tied to ban it.

There's no such movie

I've just put the Willis remake of Death Wish on. Is a mix of direct action and violent revenge right wing, as the liberal film reviewers insist?

The original was extremely right wing.

There's an Alex Jones cameo by the sound of things.

The Thing is one of my favorite movies ever, and Annihilation looks similar, so I hope it's also good. Very few films nail human interaction like The Thing did.

Fuck y'all. Escape from LA was great. You just don't know how to have fun. Che-style revolution would mean dick in that situation. Snake had the right idea in the end. Also, the fucking balls on Carpenter to portray a black trans woman as hot back in the 90s.

The ending of Escape from LA was AnPrim as fuck

Attached: download.png (1000x424, 458.21K)

Not for me tbh
Like Lovecraft was clearly a very emotionally disturbed person with an neurotic fear of the world outside his town. His racism and reactionary tendencies to me more speak to his extreme sense of weakness and frailty. I think it's part of what makes his work so good. Who better to make the universe disturbing and scary than a man perpetually in fear of the world and it's changes?

sure thing brainlet the anti-communist film that was almost banned for being too anti capitalist

I don't understand the left's infatuation with They Live. The film basically explains away late capitalism and its associated cultural hegemony with an inept metaphor in the form of an alien ploy to enslave the human race. It's typical "if only they weren't there, we could have nice things" tripe, and it's honestly not surprising that Zig Forumstards latched onto it. It's very easy to replace the alien figures with the malevolent cabal of your fancy: Jews, Illuminatis, Freemasons, Globalists, Papists, whatever. That Carpenter himself claims "it's about yuppies" doesn't change anything about the mediocrity of the worldview he centered the film around.

Carpenter did make terrific music, though.

Attached: e2baedebe8bcebac8ca4f34ab39fff02c1bc6a2e03f620d5b65d1963f637e9ae.jpg (191x234, 64.39K)

Name/link to the movie?

American censors during the Cold War were complete lunatics. They would suspect anything of communism if it contained mere mentions of equality, fairness or similar concepts — it didn't need to be actually radical. Anything that wasn't essentially a glorified ad camping for American business interests was considered potentially subversive by zealous blacklisters. Reminder that Capra's main motivation for making this film was "to combat a modern trend toward atheism" (his words).

There is literally no mention of anyone beside carpenter here man.

He's talking about La Chinoise.

Attached: 22196150_10214384634666975_2957012681358285329_n.jpg (960x720, 72.18K)

Attached: leftyarthousen.png (1920x1080, 912.46K)

La Chinoise. Actually just watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. It's french new wave so its not a conventional film but if you are a leftist you can definitely appreciate it on some level i think. Here's a torrent link if anyone's interested:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/7785516/La.Chinoise.1967.720p.BluRay.FLAC.x264-PublicHD

Lots of french new wave films incorporated marxist concepts into them considering it was sort of en vogue at the time. IMO not a tonne of great leftist films in the mainstream.. i am not familiar enough with deep cut indie selections but there is definitely lots of great non-mainstream leftist films if you can dig. i am sure someone will have a few good lists to offer. Here's two lefty film lists i have saved.

Attached: Films 2.png (1105x1395 5.02 MB, 518.08K)

Attached: C1TgXmZWgAEFUvv.jpg (877x391, 49.86K)

How is Falling Down Zig Forums?
I love the movie but dunno how it's leftist

t. brainlet

I Zig Forums is the stupidest board ever when it comes to name /our things/ in media.
If there is a mention of something vaguely leftist, it's automatically /our/.

Attached: 3e3.jpg (488x516, 84.47K)

I love Pacific Rim!
youtube.com/watch?v=BvGZtGdXc4A
youtube.com/watch?v=qr1oGuOwVDk

Attached: 87360f6e5d919383c02d679436094a79.jpg (1198x1360, 930.01K)

I know its not made by carpenter but I hardly see any leftist bring up Robo cop. Yeah it's not really meant to be taken too seriously, but I find it to be a great satire on Reagan era neo-liberal capitalism… that and it kinda predicted how companies have found ways to privatize almost everything imaginable.

Attached: 51VBoz7p8bL.jpg (338x500, 46.75K)

Attached: Be skeptical.jpg (938x477, 50.94K)

you haven't read any Adorno have you

Attached: f6facf4a4aeb1d97ab1b884a9e88febd4ee691e9e7378cd85f9baced64ad7153.png (672x808, 158.39K)

Really, I see it brought up every once in a while. It's not exactly a classic, and the protagonist is a cop. It's pretty biting but it's such an extreme product of its time, most of the jokes wouldn't even register anymore.

Kind of an obvious one, but I'd argue that Children of Men is becoming more relevant than ever despite a lot of the imagery being a reflection of the Bush administration.

I can see where you're coming from.

Thats why I was really hopping for the remake to be a continuation of it's satire of capitalism and how it now be on modern neo-liberalism… but then again thats near impossible given the state of movies these days. Liberal Hollywood wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

And as for him being a cop, yeah no shit. But there are certain cops who can be worth talking with and may have sympathies. Murphy in the movies is shown to be a man with no prejudice (From what we see) and shown to be an all around good person. But is then broken down and turned into a machine by his corporate overlords.

I think many people go into the police hoping to be a man like murphy but the system turns them into emotionless robots.

Are you implying that a person can’t be hard working if their choice of labour isn’t commendable? Hard work has nothing to do with morality or ethics.

Not , but I don't see how hard LEO work can be. You are above the law, you can beat up people for lulz and kill any prole you feel like. Sure 'Hard work=/=ethical work', but being a cop can't really be that much work. If anyone has any insider information, feel free to correct me.

Yea. I wish Criterion would release it as a stand alone.

He killed a Nazi, other than that, ??????

Classic schizophreny of dumb alt righters caused by their extremely basic knowledge of philosophy which they think already gives them superior cultural knowledge. It's kinda the same as PJW and other alt right fags bashing Adorno for being guldyural margzizt, but actually having some similar ideas on mass culture as Adorno.

Attached: 1517155126480.png (817x443, 34.19K)

An extremely basic knowledge of philosophy already puts you in the top 20% of Americans when it comes to education level, no wonder why they feel emboldened.

Truth

Attached: peace and happiness comrades.gif (293x205, 1.99M)

True, I think it's literally on "have seen some things about it on Zig Forums" level though, even after a short wikipedia reading you can't misconstrue the ideas of supposed "cultural marxists" that badly.
I also fucking hate the fact that everything they ascribe to "cultural marxism" are utterly liberal, idpol values that many marxists don't even agree with.

Not at all, you simply need enough free time to watch the films. Work your way up to esoteric art house films slowly and if you don't understand anything just watch some pseud on youtube spoonfeed it to you.
One of stupidest friends just decided to become one and in a few months he's been able to watch a decent amount of critically acclaimed film and can now hold a conversation on the subject.

Z
imdb.com/title/tt0065234/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_20

Attached: MV5BM2JjM2MwMDAtNGRhMi00MDZiLWIwMzYtYTZmMTc0MDU1ZWU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@__V1_UY268_CR6,0,182,268_AL_.jpg (182x268, 14.96K)