Does Zig Forums like "political" pop culture or do you think it's destined to be shallow simplistic garbage?

Does Zig Forums like "political" pop culture or do you think it's destined to be shallow simplistic garbage?

Attached: 1525719135114.jpg (700x455, 85.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6WOCRDMBxrM
youtube.com/watch?v=5ffZgq3yvB0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Read adorno.
It's trash and shallow. This goes for gang of four too.
But at least gang of four is a good band

Contain this in /leftytrash/

How many times do we have to keep teaching you this lesson old man

Attached: no such thing sanic.jpg (960x960, 116.16K)

I think you totally missed the point of that meme, user.

I mean it's a fire video, for an above pop average song but it's not revolutionary, doesn't really belong here.

Maybe post it to the music thread?

Go eek and ook somewhere else, boon. This is an intellectual board, not a zoo.

So what are you doing here?

Both.

stop disrespecting the baboonposter, his contribution is extremely valuable

This. It's also fascist.

Attached: adorno.jpg (1152x864 55.67 KB, 21.8K)

hahaha everything's fascist lol

Attached: 12065954_948086851916651_1691053784725647933_n.jpg (552x524, 25.58K)

Attached: Adorno enjoying a piece of modern popular music (1).mp4 (640x360, 1.04M)

damn look at them titties

Does anyone know what he was listening to in the original video? I've only seen the meme versions.>>2516190

the latter.

Good thread.

Gambino and Kendrick IMHO are just not good and I can't get into them. I know I'm in a literal minority on this view and I'm ok with that.
The videos are thought provoking sometimes but honestly that's about it for me. Same with Drake.

I feel like this music is for the #woke shitlib left. More stupid shit about "raising awareness" and other meaningless accolades while pointing to no real concrete solutions or programs that people (especially whites) can follow. It's just a whole lot of "omg look at all this chaos and destruction" "omg ghettos = bad" … like, no shit? I guess I don't get it. We can talk all day about how bad shit is. That's easy. Country music does the same thing. None of this stuff is "revolutionary" but it always grinds my gears when I hear fans of it talking like these artists are fundamentally changing society with their music. I don't see that to be the case. It's more just putting up a mirror and saying "whoah dude everything's fucked up, man, whoaaah… ". Yeah, wow, so deep, bro. Let's go take some Xanax and talk about it huhuhuh…

false consciousness believers pls go

its cause glover grew up in suburbia to jehovah witness parents

Have you ever called considered that nįggers are just retarded as all hell, and there is no deeper subtext here?

Thanks, Zig Forums

Well I think the problem is with the commentary more than the art itself. I don't know if Gambino thinks he's changing the world with his music. Maybe he does but I don't know the dude.

I don't have any beef with artists who make music about fucked up shit since I mostly listen to turbo-edgy industrial music anyways. I think the culture industry expects black artists to save everyone. Funny enough you can see some criticism of that in the Gambino video with the black chorus trying to uplift everybody before they get machine gunned.

Well I like Gambino and Kendrick because the music they make is really really good. Having conscious messages at least to me is tertiary. I don't at all buy into the idea that songs like 'This is America' will save us. I do however respect the effort and intention behind it, especially since the song itself is great.

lol It's like when I first saw Death Grips and thought MC Ride was some really poor but talented street musician with his Tupac shirtless rapping and homeless man beard. It turns out he was just an art school kid drop-out "slumming it" like every other hipster.

Can somebody give me a Zizekian analysis of this music video?

"niggers"

It felt like 2 songs meshed together. The message is so overt. How anyone could call this deep or subtle lacks any nuance. Sure the production good but as far as audio-visual content goes, it displayed its message clearly

i think the liberal solution is to just discuss it, its ingrained in the ideology of talking in the free market place of ideas, and the whole "apologizing" for the sins of the fathers business (case in point, trudeau our favourite canadian memester)

i think that liberals believe that just talking about it will inevitably lead to a solution of some sort, by reasoning and making people aware of an issue. while talking and making people not ignorant is an important first step, they usually choke up in providing a moderate solution to problems that require more radical methods

to add on to this point of mine, liberals are okay with the status quo, which is why only talking is considered a viable solution to the problem since they dont see that the issue has deep important roots that need to be upturned

Liberalism is the new ideology of the status-quo since conservativism will die out in less than a generation

i think the original message is an anticonsumerist one to an extent, he tries to criticize the prevalence of consumerist culture in popular hiphop/black culture. while this doesnt make him /ourguy/, it is a message that we as leftists can understand and agree with. (even if it is ironic considering the method in which he expresses it) its also useful to note how he doesnt really as an individual try to solve anything - hes overall just trying to make a quick buck by making a braindead observation of american culture which we already knew was cancer.

how do we think this relates to the prevalence of more and more idpol in popular culture, especially in shows like "Dear White People" which try to make a statement on racism

Hip Hop in general at any point in its history lacks both the same level of musical subversiveness and artistry that rock had at any point from the early 70s to late 80s.

It's a genre musically conservative in everything outside of maybe production, absolutely no experimentation of form even when there's room. Just wait for some pop idol to set the trend every 5-10 years and follow suite. Even the underground "experimental" stuff like jpegmafia don't do enough to shake things up.

Moron. The “liberal” protests at NFL games where the athletes took a knee led to thousands of police body cameras being introduced. All activism is good activism.

Well, if you are intent on upholding the status quo.

remind me, how well did this lead to stopping police brutality in the us?

It's like so deep man he's talking about issues that no one else is talking about gun violence in America is a real problem and he's so brave to bring attention to it he's literally a modern day Voltaire

youtube.com/watch?v=6WOCRDMBxrM

This Is America is obviously an allegory for Spectacle

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (900x900, 1.08M)

even if he was right that art cannot function as revolutionary praxis (which probably could qualify as a truism) adorno really was high off his own farts

What was his definition of art? Art is usually so vaguely defined that it's pretty hard to make any sort of general assertion about it.

honestly defining art semantically is rather unimportant for an analysis of contemporary things that call itself art unless you're some stupid asshole who thinks everything humans do is art

Stop shilling your YouTube channel.
Go take care of your toilet-nigga baby.

There's a difference between analyzing a group of things that self-categorize or an individual thing and a category as broad and amorphous as art. Claiming "all art is _" is pretty much meaningless if you can't define what art is, i.e. what you are even talking about. Even a qualifier like "commercial art" makes a huge difference because that's pretty concrete.
That would make "art" a pointless designation in general and the statement in question just another way of saying there's no such thing as revolutionary praxis, which is clearly in contradiction with the idea of designating some things that can be revolutionary praxis and some things that can't.

It triggered boomer and other reactionaries terribly. That alone justifies it.

Attached: paper mario switch teaser.mp4 (1280x720, 1.14M)

Burgers get triggered by everything under the sun, just going off of that is retarded Zig Forums-tier thinking

pic related is a good song with an entertaining video, but I couldn't care less about the message.
Essentially, if you're even remotely relying on pop culture for your political and philosophical opinion, you're trash. This is no secret. I mean, it's "pop"-culture, it's by definition the worst medium for sensible discourse. It has it's own place though, as I indicated at the beginning.

Unrelated to the question, but I somehow feel repulsed by anything Donald Clover creates. He seems "fake" or at least "inauthentic", can't say why. I like his voice though. Read somewhere that his work is more enjoyable if you don't take it too seriously, kinda agree with that. I hate to hate, if that makes sense.

pic related, I felt similarly about Serj Tankian in his solo projects.

Attached: FuckLetsFigureItOut.png (1920x1080, 830.82K)

edit: at the beginning of my comment I was talking about OP's pic not, mine

I don't think OP was talking about the song specifically, but generally politics in pop culture.

"dude wars are bad make peace lmao"
it is trash

Attached: This is Gensokyo-RA9vVDx19z0.webm (640x360, 2.83M)

On the video itself, my take was it being about how gang "culture" has destoryed traditional african american traditions: CG shoots two subjects, a street artist playing a guitar and a gospel choir, both of which are traditional features of black culture. You also see the black school children behind him get more and more warped into violence and away from innocence. Add to that the background which falls apart around him and looks a lot like the riot in Kanye West's: 'no church in the wild' video.

huh

Attached: 37d9c22e045486cdfe5c16f9f86b3a27.png (103x16, 1.01K)

isnt this that guy that pretended to have a girlfriend on twitter? what a nerd lmao

Yeah, that did it. It wasn't decades long civil libertarian activism and the wider BLM movement. No, it was a few sports superstars taking a knee on tv that did it.

This is your mind on spectacle.

literal liberal garbage and products.
This is dedicated to those “woke” crowds who know the problems of society and of the workplace , but they do nothing about it.

Attached: Ricky Berwick - this is canada.mp4 (1280x720, 1.95M)

Fuck Adorno, half of Zig Forums's success comes from their images and art used for propaganda. Art and propaganda is needed to convince people.

he's married to a red haired scottish chick

don't dare fucking post this faggot here unironically ever again.

Yes. He made her fake gf racist as well. He's famous for kicking himself in the nuts
youtube.com/watch?v=5ffZgq3yvB0

She acts like he lobotomized her and it still doesn't change the fact that he did it. If you think Coffin is seriously believing what he does and not just in for attention, you need to have a good look at this guy.

I like the video. For me it's about how entertainment distracts from the reality of lived experience. Particularly how black life is represented to the rest of America.

what? You seriously don't think it was a huge departure in sound? What is your criteria for subversion?