How much do degrees make

I found out all these articles about lifetime degree earnings that have been pedaled at me for years all cite the same census data from 2000. How much do degrees actually make? Are they still "profitable" or have I fallen for prole propaganda yet again?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (443x511, 72.37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qOP2V_np2c0
youtu.be/NdbbcO35arw
census.gov/library/publications/2002/demo/p23-210.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtu.be/qOP2V_np2c0
youtu.be/NdbbcO35arw
^If you want a fundamental standing of capitalism these are a great start.

It was accurate for the time, but wildly outdated for the post-2008 economy. When I worked as a Walgreens cashier, one of the girls that worked at the cosmetics counter had a Bachelors in psychology and one of our assistant managers had a Masters in IT (poor bastard had a sick wife too). They were the lucky ones, one of my comrades who has a Bachelors in communications has literally had to go into prostitution to pay off the loans.

It's absolutely not fucking worth it unless you KNOW you have a high-paying job lined up for you by the time you graduate.

wrong thread so sorry.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (360x482, 114.41K)

My degree wasn't worth shit. But then again all the news about how degrees arent worth shit made me feel so down I didn't even try to use it. Currently I'm watching a documentary on dropouts on fentanyl falling down on the middle of the sidewalk or stumbling around like zombies and thinking, am I any better than them? Their worthlessness is just more obvious and in your face.

Degrees don't matter anymore, certifications do.

Where the fuck do you live for that to happen?

yup, this lines up with my experience too

it's not that far fetched
even for the most "in demand" stem degrees for every job that's created/opens in a year, there's roughly 4 to 5 new graduates
situation is considerably worse once you delve into the less in demand degrees

This is the thing though, I basically agree with you, but it seems that people don't see that this is creating a new feudalism - the education that ordinary people can achieve is close to worthless, all the people who make the agenda in the news, politics, economics, entertainment, and so on went to Harvard/Oxford and have had their whole future planned out for them by their rich daddies, the entire working class is being completely excluded from decision making in the world. What will happen next to us?

whats your degree

Pretty much anyone can go to Havard/Oxford.
Also every state in the US has decent schools where you can get a degree in a field that is decently profitable.
People just don't want to or they choose to "follow their passion"

Legacy admissions are 5x more likely to be accepted at Harvard and make up a large portion of admissions. The "stories" of people who rise and bootstrap themselves into Harvard are the people who literally do nothing except whatever looks good for the academics. They aren't average joes they are obedient hyper-proles

Even then, the majority of admissions are non legacies.
There is no secret knowledge to getting into Harvard their requirements are free and available to the public.
The problem is lots of people just don't want to do it mainly because its not easy by any means.

All that happens when you encourage people to ignore their interests is you end up with a lot of shitty engineers, programmers and medical professionals who really don’t give a shit and whatever made these fields lucrative to begin with is soon balanced out by oversupply.

One of the reasons Silicon Valley oligarchs are so interested in free college (especially subsidized STEM programs) is that it will check or lower wages in the industry.

I see a lot of people trying to conform to whatever degree they think will make them money the fastest and burning out and dropping out cause they really don’t give a shit about it. It’s also true that while certain degrees pay more initially that doesn’t necessarily mean they are the best fields for lifetime earnings.

It’s also exclusive by design. If everyone adjusted themselves to meet their standards they would simply create new standards or become even more selective in how they admitted people.

Their tuition is also enormously expensive too.

Depends on the degree, depends on how lucky you get, depends on how far you want to go in any given career. A lot of times degrees aren't even about the knowledge you get from the university, but showing that your capable of completing something. It fucking sucks, but it's an employers market and when they have thousands of applications they make arbitrary lines in the sand for the sake of weeding.

Attached: free shrugs.jpg (500x682, 51.75K)

And? This will never happen so it is irrelevant "if everyone" arguments are fantasy. Not everyone wants to go to Harvard or wants to put out the effort to do so. Those who do have a chance but it is also competitive.

This is mainly because of federal aid but its offset by the type of jobs they usury get

the fact that legacies basically walk into Harvard while doing basically nothing still severely straifies the student body. Harvard is a public school receiving hundreds of millions in tax breaks and subsidies. If they want to turn it into their own country club they can pay all the taxes everyone else has too and not have this gross admission process where talented poor students have to break their back while George Bush Jr sails in. The public is subsidizing these legacy students, and it needs to stop.

You want to preserve legacy admissions at Harvard, fine, have Harvard give up all their tacks breaks and then the whole campus can be their personal country club. Why should workers be required to work harder than legacy students to get into a university they are paying to maintain.

*give up all their tax breaks

I wasn't talking about shad aught to be I'm talking about was is.

Not just legacies but college sports recruitment also is highly influentisl in admissions even moreso than legacy. Not to mention minority quotas, regional quotas and real biases against asians

ALSO, not just legacies but huge donations will also get you into these Ivies e.g. the brainlet John F kennedy, and more recently jared kushner whose dad paid 3 million dollars to harvard and after whichhis son “happened” to get in and majored in sociology (a notorious brainlet degree)

Depends on the degree. If you want cash you’ll need a STEM degree, and even then you’ll have to really know the job market and have connections. You have to know people at large companies to get a good job their, or know some bankers to create a startup (which has a 80% chance of failing) alternatively if have parents with extra dough you can have them pay for you tuition, take a job for a federal agency, and take the low pay for a decade until you get promoted to a higher paying position and eventually retire with that sweet, sweet, pension and get a six figure job a government contractor.

What language is this?

Anyone ever break this data down by age? I suspect that boomers are warping the data.

This is the census data all the articles quote
census.gov/library/publications/2002/demo/p23-210.html
Looks like they calculated lifetime earnings by just taking average income * years of work (25-64) and average income was taken by averaging the incomes of 10-year age groups. So no not really.

Do you know how many people are actually enrolled in Harvard? 22,000. By contrast there are 16 million Harvard students in America. We can infer from that that just .001% of America’s college students are Harvard students. We don’t have to concoct some fantasy experiment where everyone goes to Harvard—if just 10% of America’s college students wanted to go to Harvard it would be too much; even 1% would be way too much and many, many times what they currently admit.

It’s true that many people don’t bother to apply because they don’t think they can get in and that naturally brings things down. In fact, the current admissions rate of just 6% is designed to discourage people who they’ll just end up rejecting from applying in the first place. To be quite dark about it, your chances of getting into Harvard and surviving meta-static lung cancer are just about the same. Not impossible but still a long-shot…

Attached: FAA5791E-2802-47CF-B11D-96C41BF27D4B.jpeg (828x501, 91.88K)

Well don't forget that's skewed by the bourgie kids who apply, their chances are higher to 90% even if they're alcoholic psychopaths who only got through school with the help of private tutors, if you're a working class kid it's probably more like

This really isn't the way to go after Harvard. You could say the exact same thing about OSU or something and get similar statistics.

If you're going to go after elite universities the best thing to go after them for is how they perpetuate the ruling class and do research for the security state, Harvard and Yale are just as much a part of the Military Industrial Complex as Boeing or Raytheon.

In the event of revolution the "ivy leagues" would have to burned to the ground with their faculty locked inside (also ivy league graduates and their relatives would be treated with extreme suspicion, much like child molesters are today.) The amount of suffering those institutions have caused over their lifetime is absolutely staggering.

Communications degree serves them right

Bad take, Christcom. They should be left standing and turned into a "horrors of capitalism" museum full of exhibits on the crimes of their researchers and alumni. They can also still double as a college campus for proles to learn at.

Pol pot tier.

Attached: cd99e473b905cddbb70dcbc6b3741c89d7ed47c624e2ebf6f335258a22b77110.jpg (400x302, 42.38K)

>>>/liberalpol/

Attached: varg.jpg (960x540, 45.97K)

Don't go burning down the library or lavatory equipment and I can respect that.
Otherwise, no.

Attached: RicherdWolff.jpeg (299x168, 9.85K)

Christcom said he wanted all relatives of ivy league graduates to be treated like child molesters. Most of these school aren’t as bad as Harvard, and some comrades /spoiler/ Richeard Wolff /spoiler/ went to Harvard. Also going after people’s families because they went to the same school or group of schools as Porky is batshit crazy.

It is if your not an idealist.

Attached: Idealism.jpeg (151x225, 10.21K)

hold me Zig Forums

Im not one of those "anything but STEM is worthless and you deserve your fate for not liking math" kind of people, but Communications? Come on.

Let them pay for it then

That's not the A M E R I C A N way tho

I dropped out and got certs for programming and networking at a community college. My family seemed to calm down a bit after that.