'Captain Marvel' Is The Recruiting Tool Of The Air Force's Dreams

The trailer evokes old Department of Defense recruiting commercials, like a young woman’s transformation from student to Marine in last year’s recruiting spot, “Battle Up.” It’s a common hook in military recruiting ads: You tell a life story, or a coming-of-age tale, in 60 seconds flat. After all, joining the military to transform into the pinnacle of martial perfection, and thus become a national superhero in your own right, isn’t a new lure. Anyone remember that one commercial involving a mameluke-sword-wielding Marine in dress blues vanquishing a demon?

The similarity is likely accidental, as is the trailer’s release on the Air Force’s 71st birthday. But those similarities underscore an intriguing facet of the upcoming Marvel movie: With Carol Danvers poised to take over the mantle of tentpole hero from contractually-liberated Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans, the new trailer is a potentially powerful recruiting tool for a service eyeing an ambitious expansion amid an ongoing pilot shortage.
“The Air Force partners on any number of entertainment projects to ensure the depiction of Airmen and the Air Force mission is accurate and authentic,” Todd Fleming, chief of the Community and Public Outreach Division at Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs, told Task & Purpose via email. “Our partnership with ‘Capt Marvel’ [sic] helped ensure the character's time in the Air Force and backstory was presented accurately. It also highlighted the importance of the Air Force to our national defense.”

This means that, instead of an Army O-3 and a drunken defense contractor, Marvel’s figurehead will be a female Air Force pilot — the perfect symbol for a force focused on recruiting and retaining pilots. And while Fleming emphasized that the Air Force’s collaboration with Marvel was not part of an explicit recruitment strategy, she did praise the film’s portrayal of Danvers’ time in the service.

“[Captain Marvel] is not part of a recruiting strategy but we would expect that audiences seeing a strong Air Force heroine, whose story is in line with the story of many of our Airmen, would be positively received,” Fleming said.
The spotlight on airmen comes at a time when the Air Force, like the other services, is hunting for the next generation of pilots. The Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps are all short 25% of their pilot billets, according to a GAO report published this summer; the Air Force in particular has doled out cash incentives like candy in a vain effort to prevent pilots from defecting to the private sector. Indeed, the branch’s plan to increase its number of squadrons by 76 to Cold War levels will require an additional 40,000 personnel, further straining the service’s recruitment capabilities. At the Air Force Academy, female cadets are increasingly encouraged to vie for pilot spots to help bridge that gap.
“It is in the interest of the Air Force for the public to understand the importance of the Air Force to our national defense.” Flemming said. “[And] the main character's story also highlights the incredible work that our Airmen do every day.”

Indeed, the Air Force is working hand-in-hand with Marvel as it has since the production of Iron Man in 2008 to help ensure that Larson’s Danvers reflects the life of an Air Force pilot through and through, including access to “Airmen, installations, and capabilities to ensure the depiction is as accurate as possible,” Fleming told Task & Purpose.

“When the Air Force and OSD reviews a script and elects to support a project, we have determined that the movie portrays the Air Force and military in an accurate way and that is in the service's interest to partner on the project,” he added.

And it’s clear Larson is taking her new role as America’s foremost airman seriously. In March, Marvel Studios announced the official start of production on Captain Marvel with a photo of Larson, and Air Force Brig. Gen. Jeannie M. Leavitt, then-commander of the 57th Wing and the service’s first female fighter pilot, atop an F-15 at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada
"I was very impressed with how seriously Brie took the role and how much she wanted to ensure it was accurate,” Leavitt said of Larson’s visit, which included a flight in an F-16 and a tour of the Gulf War-era F-15. “She spent a lot of time with our pilots, understanding what it meant to be a fighter pilot and how we do certain things. And so I was very impressed by that dedication she showed and how seriously she took the role."

"She really got to experience what it's like to fly in a high-performance fighter jet,” Leavitt told T&P.; “She could give the specifics of how much she enjoyed it, but I think she had a great time."
taskandpurpose.com/captain-marvel-air-force-recruiting

Attached: 980x.jpg (840x420, 42.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7h54AyiAybs
history.com/topics/cold-war/u2-spy-incident
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Carol Danvers is so freaking badass. I hope she inspires young women to join the Air Force so they, too, can help bomb Yemeni schoolchildren in their epic F-16s. Who knows? Maybe in the future they'll even get to take on Russia after Drumpf is impeached and we fight to reclaim our Democracy from the authoritarian Vladimirs that have hijacked it. She's truly the hero we need.

Attached: IMG_0112.JPG (300x168, 19.03K)

You just hate the US military because you're a bigot.

Attached: BasedBlacks.jpg (1022x728, 339.35K)

Wtf, U-2s are Nuclear Bombers. How is that “reconnaissance.”

sorry though it said B-2

Well done Disney

centrists get their dicks sucked on this board

I'm sorry?

I heard that many news channels get their scripts from the Pentagon. Is this true? I am willing to believe it but I would like a source.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (228x84, 6.08K)

Attached: b624b2f4722c2d14396978849abe64d1e4949ba98936dc01e043b5e295bff86f.png (472x470, 303.79K)

How cucked can the Army possibly get?

Attached: 5008c8de1f822806acf252f417a8118b6a913206851aa51a2ce01a9f94d55e98.jpg (800x699, 64.01K)

Someone stop this madman already.

Attached: 15647.jpg (576x781, 96.81K)

you can not contain the baboon, the baboon is not from this world

they pay the NFL to do all the pro military posturing (anthem, flyovers, service member salutes etc), and in order for military vehicles/equipment to be allowed for movie use they review the script to ensure that the movies message is deemed pro-military

so it wouldn't surprise me. at the very least there are probably style guidelines. like how the passive voice is always used in police shootings, e.g. "Man Hit by Bullet in Officer-Involved Gun Discharge"

imperialist pineapples

Attached: D08L7L9X4AAmwrm.jpg:large.jpg (900x1600, 204.15K)

America, no! What the hell is wrong over there? How do you guys even exist as conscious people in the myriad of contradiction? It is absolutely mind-blowing how successful to the U.S. government is at propaganda. All that they accused us of doing, they are themselves doing, far more efficiently, worse than the worst anti-communist nightmares of boomer filth. America is literally the image of North Korea they are projecting to the world.

It was a lava monster!

Anyway, yeah.
This one looked particularly shit by the trailer. Sad to see the franchise sink, but whatever.

This fact just makes me appreciate war movies that explicitly didn't get the support of the Pentagon because they were anti-war/critical of the military, but still managed to be great anyway. Apocalypse Now is easily the best example, Platoon is good too. Not coincidentally, most of them are Vietnam movies.

are they used for training? what can U2 do that a satellite cant?

Not be tracked in real time and have its trajectory predicted years in advance by missile systems.

On the other side of capeshit…
youtube.com/watch?v=7h54AyiAybs

An interesting exchange in the comments:

He briefly mentions pro-war media and manufacturing consent in another video, pic related.

Attached: Screenshot (18).png (1920x1080, 618.78K)

zack snyder is shit and there's nothing to analyze from his films

Careful. You'll get the Suckerpunch guy from /tv/ in here spouting off an essay about how it's the greatest film ever made.

How do we counter capeshit?

Attached: The Flash and Supergirl without special effects-vT5_qH7PStc.webm (360x360, 1.09M)

action movies of famous revolutions, one with the bolsheviks killing the tsars

The Osprey is a death trap.

This but make it anime in the style of Gurren Lagann.

You might be pulling my leg here, but I will never understand the sheer amount of hate he gets as a director. People understate the attention he gives to movement (and how important it can be). I don't think he's just good at creating "still images" as it is usually said. The cinematographers he work with are good. Coupled with his preference of longer takes over fast cuts, they really lend themselves to good, clean visuals both in and out of some of the best action in capeshit. When I think about it, his use of slow-mo is another way of both extending the shot and emphasizing certain movements. Also, kudos to the writers for having less pointless talking and inserting actual political and social intrigue in a superhero movie. All the other esoteric stuff, art references and callbacks are just bonuses that show the people behind it cared.

BvS and MoS had a good thing going but thanks to n*rds and g**ks, we instead get
MAKE IT STOP

Attached: B3863sSCUAEp4mg.png (443x395, 135.97K)

Wait wut. Supergirl's name is Kara Danvers and captain marvels name is Carol Danvers?

Would be funny if those pineapples were supplied by the united fruit company (forgot the new name).

Chiquita. And those clearly have the Dole Food Company logo.

You're not too far off. It's a myriad of reasons, but that is indeed one of them.

Everything is scripted, everywhere, and if it is not it is then turned into one.

We should make communist capestuff

Captain Capitalist-Killer

Tbh Captain America in Vietnam but realises the evils of Imperialism and goes back home and launches a revolution.

user…

Attached: happy.png (400x383, 186.58K)

They already shot one down decades ago

history.com/topics/cold-war/u2-spy-incident

The U2 is NOT elite, its almost a tradition for pilots to take it up at least once in their careers.
It serves no other purpose.

This is a typical puff piece to exaggerate the accomplishments of a womanHEAR ME ROAR CIS-SCUM

MoS was mediocre
Its pacing / scene-sequence sucked all buildup out of it.
Now go get Zod a neckbrace

*REALLY FUCKING LOUD SQUARE WAVE*

Just show everyone TTGL tbh

Marvel/Miracleman ends with the superman telling Margaret Thatcher that capitalism is over and to fuck off.

If I recall correctly Dole was also involved in the same shit in Latin America right?

Pretty much

I had a dream the other night where an elderly kungfu master told me that they could never really make an air plane that would be impossible to detect by radar. Is he right Zig Forums?

yea it's right, even the best stealth fighters in the world can't be perfectly stealthy

I have heard mixed opinions from engineers on whether stealth technology can/will work in the near future. I'm sure it is great for bombing poor countries with outdated equipment, but I somehow doubt a stealth aircraft will have much success in Russian or Chinese airspace.

Remember that one movie starring a black superhero no one knew until there was a worldwide marketing blitz on the socjus mold, whose plot was about a "racially woke" character who teamed up with those stalwart allies of both black people and foreign countries the CIA in order to save the world, and won 3 Oscars despite its glaring mediocrity? Because I wish I didn't.