I've gotten a email response from this noxious youtuber by name of luke smith about a year ago

I've gotten a email response from this noxious youtuber by name of luke smith about a year ago.

So I bet this guy never read Paul Cockshott. Critique this anons.

Attached: lol.jpg (426x640, 32.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dslreports.com/forum/r31762230-Zero-rated-data-begins
reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/9f4sua/is_watchtv_zeroratedsponsored_data/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's literally just rhetoric. I can also say a bunch of stuff that sounds good but is substanceless. You can't really reply to it because he doesn't substantiate on stuff like "Marixist-Leninism is almost like a ludicrous satire of it".

Attached: Photo - Google Photos.png (319x369, 162.52K)

Luke is an idiot. I stopped giving a shit what he had to say if his asinine net neutrality video. He was just talking out of his ass about things he didn't understand like saying that BitTorrent traffic is less intense for isps than direct downloads when it's the exact opposite. He's just being contrarian because he doesn't like the libtards at his job.

Screenshot of email, OP

I won't believe you unless you show because this comes off as made up tbh

Wew

So he isn't into economics and ignores the autists who obsess over year old conversations?

I don't see what the big deal is

But peer to peer is a more efficient way of distribution than dd

No it isn't. It puts way more load on the network. ISPS are designed around central traffic. Most Tor nodes don't even allow torrenting because it puts a huge strain on the network.

It's better than no regulation at all dumbass.

This would only be true if all peers were on the same network which is never the case so bandwidth is split between multiple networks

Why

ISPS are monopolies and the major network backed is owned by a few companies. It's easier for them to make routes for central players than dealing with all the network congestion from torrenting. You only have to see how much ISPS loved to throttle the fuck out of Torrents before net neutrality to know how they feel about them.

NN makes it harder for new isps to get into the business
But they don't do this and torrenting is more efficient

That's because isps weren't setup for constant download and uploads of tiny files but rather large files all at one time. They've fixed this now

No it doesn't it makes zero difference. Small ISPS have come out in support of net neutrality.

No they already do. Netflix and Hulu have servers with the isps right now.

I hope that's true.

Ok you can cherry pick ISPs. NN makes it harder for small ISPs to get into business

And its still inefficient

It's funny that the thread is derailed into NN stuff now.
I didn't like luke smiths take on NN either but for different reasons.

Attached: lukesmith.png (880x528, 71.89K)

Absolutely retarded.

Net neutrality isn't really about torrenting though. The bittorrent protocol can evolve to evade different forms of throttling. If it reaches critical mass it certainly well. The number of connections aren't the problem either. A bigger deal is which paths that traffic takes. Which routes will be more expensive than others. Torrents with healthy swarms would be more likely to have some routes they could prioritize so the only times you'd be fucked are when you have some situation like one single seeder in Malaysia while you're sitting on Comcast in the US.

The real insidious part of it is zero rating. I currently live in the Philippines and the result of this is bad. Very very bad in fact. To many people in this county Facebook is the internet full stop. That's the future you're looking at if you let this shit get out of hand.

This is a result of the Philippines being very poor and not technologically advanced. Most people use Facebook there so providing most else you'd get diminishing returns

Not true in the slightest. If that were the case, why did Spotify, which started off using a Kademlia DHT for distributing their streamed songs, move to a DD paradigm? What could they have to possibly gain from that? Oh that's right, because streaming via torrents is a) really fucking hard to coordinate and b) is extremely hard on the routing network of various ISPs. Think of how a packet gets from point A to point B. You'll come to a similar conclusion.

Ask spotify neither one of us know their thought process. However peer to peer is much more efficient than each person download the whole file from a server whenever they want to watch or listen to something

That's a very stupid argument. The technology is here and people do use it. People who aren't poor… The ISPs provide inferior services to the urban poor and rural areas in general. They don't run DSL to the slums. So even if someone in an area like that could pay the $20 or so to get it connected, which isn't that much of a stretch since a lot of people living in those places have jobs that could support that, they're fucked. On the other hand LTE data is sold at assrape rates. Look at the profits of PLDT and Globe if you want to see why. Less impoverished areas are offered unlimited data at an honest rate. Everyone else pays roughly $1 USD per GB for prepaid and the postpaid plans are even worse. But you can pay $1 for 10 days of "unlimited" (up to 3gb and if you go over they block the data connection on your sim card permanently) Facebook. The zucc subsidizes that shit. It's not because people are too "poor" or the people aren't sufficiently technologically adept. It's a couple of porkies giving each other the reach around.

As a final note if you don't think that this will happen in first world countries once net neutrality laws are dismantled you're a fucking moron because it already is happening.

dslreports.com/forum/r31762230-Zero-rated-data-begins
reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/9f4sua/is_watchtv_zeroratedsponsored_data/

Just two examples of companies in the US making connections to platforms they control exempt from data caps. This keeps you paying for their TV services and watching them. Not something else. If you're against net neutrality this is what you support.

Luke doesn't seriously engage with Marxism. I think this is out of ignorance at least to some degree.

That said, he is pretty smart. LARBs is quite a nice little piece of software.

Attached: smikk.jpg (500x500, 23.92K)

Are you that jim profit fan?

No, but I frequently get in arguments with Jim Profit on here when he tries to post meme's about himself.

Attached: snnn.jpg (480x600, 27.96K)

The Jim Profit fan only has a single image he posts over and over.

Attached: 5ce7e741246e4080fe708b0c714d4379ebe8e1a0b97f5e159b2be3c6e2c793fb.jpg (500x679, 37.14K)

No it doesn't. It makes it easier for big ISPs to exploit their monopolies and make more money without providing better service. Also, it's honestly weird that you even take this seriously as an argument. The internet is publicly funded tech - even though you're wrong about NN making basic business harder for smaller ISPs, that shouldn't even be the primary issue. How the internet serves the public who paid for it in the first place is what's most important, and allowing private censorship and extortion is poor usage of that technology.

The most persistent difficulty I've heard about from "small ISPs" is documented hostility from the big ones - Comcast cutting their wires or trying to buy off their employees, etc. The people I've known who work in the field support NN and tend to cite these things as problems.

""""fan"""""

This is entirely vacuous. Not a single point is made.

They (netflix/hulu) don't actually have servers with those ISPs though. They pay to use CDNs that do. The zero rated video services launched by those ISPs use the same CDNs. Why is it inefficient when other companies use them but perfectly fine when it comes to delivering video for their own platforms?