Management books

Just finished Bob Nelson: 1501 Ways to Reward Employees - This is an upgrade to 1001 blahblahblah. On the front, it says there are over 1.6 million copies of it in print and it promises "Low-Cost and No-Cost Ideas". I love the promise of no-cost ideas, so I took the pro-active measure of downloading this from a warez site.

Attached: foghorn.jpg (588x437, 87.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

booksdescr.org/item/index.php?md5=DD8271C515448F14D8E5D4E82F8D5685
youtu.be/_igaLv7ro8o?t=352
youtu.be/_igaLv7ro8o?t=1289
youtube.com/watch?v=zLvDKI1T14Q
youtube.com/watch?v=vpDYLij_eKg
academia.edu/9716772/The_Goal_A_Process_of_Ongoing_Improvement_Third_Revised_Edition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_positivity_ratio
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Fredrickson
humblebundle.com/books/secrets-to-success-sourcebooks?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

part 2:

Corporate ideology is really amazingly awful. Like, even if you read the chief ideologists of the liberals and reactionaries (Rawls, Friedman, whatever) there is some idea of intellectualism and internal consistency. But when you get into HR propaganda, business ethics, and stuff like that, it is just the most vapid slush. This kind of material is not a theory of praxis, it is a praxis itself. By shoving this shit down worker's and manager's throats and getting them to regurgitate it, you're getting them to show obedience and conformity. They could replace all the words in these manuals with Finnegan's Wake and it would serve the same purpose.

Sorry, but I don't want haters in my thread, to post here you have to fit the 5 Fs: Fit, Family, Fun, Fortune, and Freedom.

The same applies to the Self improvement genre in general.

Attached: download.jpeg (275x183, 5.57K)

Here's a good one: booksdescr.org/item/index.php?md5=DD8271C515448F14D8E5D4E82F8D5685

Robert Boguslaw's Operating Units

Attached: 2.png (900x599 365.47 KB, 248.99K)

Attached: 2.png (752x858 235.02 KB, 295.26K)

Attached: 2.png (727x949 311.22 KB, 404.39K)

Attached: 2.png (795x816 229.93 KB, 539.57K)

Attached: 2.png (750x788 340.37 KB, 246.17K)

[/dump]

Attached: 2.png (771x915 304.59 KB, 307.8K)

He forgot about the sixth F there: a huge Finheritance.

Do capitalists actually follow the tips in these books? If they do, it is very helpful to read these kinds of management guide books since it shows what their tactics are. Hell these books are probably more useful to read than what bourgeois economists write, at least you learn 1501 methods that are actually used in the real world instead of the propaganda form the church of capital.

OP's book is targeted at lucky porkies or porky's failsons who inherit the business. The smarter porkies (or the smart people they hire) will read more serious stuff like this I guess

If you wanna see behind the curtain at this crazy bullshit, I recommend the 'Don Beveridge' episode of Redlettermedia.

youtu.be/_igaLv7ro8o?t=352

to 8:51

then

youtu.be/_igaLv7ro8o?t=1289

I mean I think the whole thing is funny but to see what I'm talking about lol

WEEEE NEED BAGELS!

lmao, yet again Glengarry Glen Ross is not far from reality

It's an extremely repetitive collection of hundreds of anecdotes from really existing companies, which are always named. I'm pretty sure that some managers at Amazon have read it because ideas like tracking who isn't ill for X years and rewarding that with the opportunity to brunch with some NPC managers plus a voucher worth a pathetic sum is typical of the shit proposed in it.

Hah, this just reminded me of a sales job where I was told if we did well that quarter the boss would take us to a Japanese steak house. I just thought "why the fuck would being forced to hang out with these dicks outside of work hours be considered a reward rather than a punishment?" Unfortunately I didnt last long enough to receive my chicken dinner.

This is entirely correct, BTW. If you are doing something wrong, or if there is an easier way to do it, comrades should let each other know. If you see someone doing something inefficiently and you know a trick that will save them a bunch of time, don't keep that to yourself but rather share it with your comrade. As Marxists, we should constantly be evaluating our actions how they affect the world around us, so let your comrades criticize you and don't shy away from criticizing your comrades.

Ok I'll do it for you.
Not at all.

Lenin would disagree. He encouraged cultivating discipline over yourself and to hold your comrades to the same high standard you hold yourself. In order to cultivate discipline, you must be aware of your actions and how they affect yourself and those around you. He conducted his communist business like a professional- someone who was sloppy or frequently idle or spoke just for the pleasure of speaking was not a member of the vanguard, and Lenin guided people in the right direction.

That's not proper criticism. If you want to criticize someone than do it like you criticize lolbert ideas or literally anything I'd you are talking to me.

I see you have autism. The book is for MANAGERS. Here is the workers' perspective: Giving your feedback to co-workers costs time, so if there is direct measuring of what you do every minute (as applies to most tasks at Amazon) and you see co-workers having trouble because they were assigned to do something without being coached how (who knows what isn't really tracked properly since the name of a task stays the same while its content changes), giving five minutes of your time can prevent five person-hours of idleness, but helping them will directly count against you.

It is precisely individual-based measuring of performance and direct feedback like in muh video games which prevents higher productivity through more co-operation. But higher co-operation among workers would very likely lead to higher degree of union organizing, so inefficiency through phony individualism is systematic.

It would be funny if it wasn't tragic. Speaking of Glengarry I like this sketch a lot, on the marketisation of public services

youtube.com/watch?v=zLvDKI1T14Q

Even if you could help them without spending any time, it would still be bad for you since you look better if other workers are struggling. Managers are constantly looking for 'efficiencies' and cutting the perceived weak links to try squeeze out more profit (inevitably leading to them having to hire twice as many people later to make up the shortfall in labour but yaknow, short term gains).

Another bestseller: Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life by Spencer Johnson (1998). It's a very short little thing.

Attached: Who Moved My Cheese - excerpt.png (332x514, 72.64K)

And for those who feel WMMC is too intellectual for you, there is the alternative version Who moved my cheese? : for kids (2003) with lots of bright colors and less text (in the original, the mouse story is embedded in something else, so you can read about fictional adults discussing the deeper meaning of it). If you are puzzled by the picture: There's a mix-up with the names because the author got even more senile.

Attached: Who Moved My Cheese for Kids - excerpt.png (402x536, 85.5K)

Attached: donotcollectivize.jpg (255x251, 11.6K)

Check out "The Art of Communication" it's a real tour de force. Will post some pics later when I get home. I also took up a management textbook from 1969 which is a lot more clear cut and chilling. Management takes the place of political economy as the 'heart of a heartless world' and 'the final denial of humanity' (Marx).

And you fags dogpile me for posting Tiqqun's Cybernetic Hypothesis.

Haven't they been out since the 60's? I guess boomers will take literally anything seen as a convenience and apply it to millennials.

Attached: im a rudeboy.jpg (280x277, 15.71K)

After digging through a mountain of pretentious semi-poetry what one finds in Tiqqun is just primitivism and celebration of being an anti-social hyper-spontaneous spastic (it's technically correct that it's anti-capitalist, as is the statement "I don't want to live in a society"), with some pedoish incel stuff thrown in for good measure (you know which text I mean). Piss off.

Got a pic for you.

Attached: millenialskillingxyz.jpg (768x1024, 158.03K)

I hope we kill every one of those things.

The Young Traveler's Gift by bestselling author Andy Andrews, with Amy Parker (2004). This is the teen version of The Young Traveler's Gift, but I couldn't get a copy of that one, so here were go. A person is frustrated in life, then some time-travel episodes happen where we visit important people at important points in history, and learn lessons there for life & business. Instead of an adult business guy, it's a teenager named Michael here. But the reason I wanted to read the original is still present: One of the timecelebs we visit is Anne Frank. So let's goosestep straight into chapter 7 where she's awaiting you:

I counted. There's a grand total of six things there that shouldn't be killed.

Attached: 888.jpg (500x534, 40.48K)

Attached: IMG_2717.JPG (1224x1632 598.86 KB, 511.68K)

youtube.com/watch?v=vpDYLij_eKg
Live footage of the rampage of the millennials in their quest to destroy everything.

Attached: IMG_2723.JPG (1224x1632 561.01 KB, 545.12K)

If you want a dose of pure ideology, read The Goal by Goldratt (lol). That's what they actually assign people to read in business schools. Its protagonist is what an ideal manager should look like in the eyes of capitalists and so on:
academia.edu/9716772/The_Goal_A_Process_of_Ongoing_Improvement_Third_Revised_Edition

come on now

I now have read the rest of the book. Every timeceleb gives the traveler a page of "wisdom" (nothing from real writing, it's all made up for the story). Does the Anne Frank thing get less weird in context of the rest of the book? Well. First person the time traveler visits is President Truman who tells him that:

Andy Andrews also wrote The Seven Decisions, which is about the same messages you got from the traveler books. This is a typical sentence:

my last job actually gave me this perk instead of health insurance. i'm not kidding.

fuck you DATIS HR Cloud. and your two "woke" homosexual ceo's who have a god damn elevator in their home while they pay their employees shit. reminds me of pic related

Attached: 9a9351c90813736d1e8383defd931f4ecef817c65ddfdc41f3cc56c8147d7ae6.jpg (720x960, 46.9K)

The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement, by Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox, third revised edition (2004) of a novel about managing (originally from the 80s). Lots of typos and weird formatting in the pdf I got.

Brooklyn is over priced, we find a nice area in staten island, and these ignorant Italians and/or irish dont want us here. We have even offered them alot of money for their houses so they move. Now these signs show how racist they are. They just hate jews, they dont really care about their houses. Like it or not we will not be suppressed. I will organizing a protest and if you live in staten island, please display a Israeli flag in solidarity with us. Lets make this national news. These guys are also all cops or firefighters, so they think who they are.

What else can we do?

Attached: westsell.jpg (600x450, 81.03K)

Kinda relevant: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_positivity_ratio
>The critical positivity ratio (also known as the Losada ratio or the Losada line) is a largely discredited concept in positive psychology positing an exact ratio of positive to negative emotions which distinguishes "flourishing" people from "languishing" people. The ratio was proposed by Marcial Losada and psychologist Barbara Fredrickson, who identified a ratio of positive to negative affect of exactly 2.9013 as separating flourishing from languishing individuals in a 2005 paper in American Psychologist. The concept of a critical positivity ratio was widely embraced by both academic psychologists and the lay public; Fredrickson and Losada's paper was cited nearly 1,000 times…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Fredrickson

humblebundle.com/books/secrets-to-success-sourcebooks?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_4

You can get a bunch of these pieces of trash for cheap here if you are masochistic. Even looking at the titles is enough entertainment for me though

Have you heard of hacking techniques like going to the library? Anyway, here's another bestselling book: The One Minute Manager (1982) by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson (the cheese guy). Despite being a booklet of just 64 pages, this somehow has a table of contents, three sections about "secrets" with their own summaries, and then again sections for each of the three secrets and why they work. There is also an acknowledgement section at the end for this epic book, since you know no way just two guys could have written such a tome just by themselves, they are standing on the shoulders of giants. With so many "chapters" and these "chapters" having ends, of course these aren't 64 full pages. And some pages look like this (that's the whole page):

Alright advice from Goldratt's The Race (of American industry against the Japanese, 1986):

More Goldratt: Necessary but Not Sufficient (2000) is a novel about a company making business software. Boooring. Here's a typical section:

Bumping the thread because it can be used to mine textbook pieces of bourgeois ideology.

Lessons from 100,000 Cold Calls by Stewart Rogers (2008)

Another business novel by Goldratt (with Ilan Eshkoli and Joe Brownleer): Isn't It Obvious? (2009). This one is about managing a chain of stores. Not as dull as the one with the software business, but despite that nobody here is going to read it anyway, so let's just skip to what the heroes have learned in the end:

Sorry for the fucked up formatting. The whole thing is one quote.

The superiority of a planned economy really is obvious, I am cinvinced it will happen anyway even if it will ikely not be publically owned.

And finally, the last of Goldratt: The Choice (2nd Revised Edition from 2010, Goldratt died in 2011). Written as a dialogue with his daughter Efrat Goldratt-Ashlag, this sums up his views about management, and in a way it's more general about personal conduct and how to live. The daughter sounds a bit autistic and writes in awe about her Father (always with uppercase F) talking in riddles, like this one:

Gay.

Attached: g1.jpeg (1280x853, 640.33K)

The Goldmine: A Novel of Lean Turnaround by Freddy and Michael Ballé (father and son) is yet another business novel all about the low inventory just-in-time stuff, (not about a literal goldmine, that is just a metaphor). The narrator here is neither running a business, that's his childhood friend, nor playing the role of the wise advisor, that's the narrator's grumpy dad – the ideal setup to explain things again and again. ot a masterpiece (is there such a thing in the world of infodump novels?), but I think this is a bit better than any of the Goldratt books, both in terms of giving information and story-telling.

Toyota is the number one company of just-in-time, err, "philosophy" (the ideas are really not that deep and complex, but most of it makes sense) and the book is full of explicit references to Toyota, and using the Japanese terms for management concepts like Gemba, Kaizen, and so on. Maybe you have experienced this at your own job as little more than a buzzword campaign – and so have I. Even though the book is not super in-depth, it gives enough information that it makes you get that everybody is half-assing it (or more accurately quarter-assing, if that's even a word). Your managers have googled the correct Japanese signs and display them proudly, but they don't quite follow the advice (should have googled "cargo cult").

At the end of the book, there's a recommendation list for further learning about the Toyota way.

Not a masterpiece
Also I forgot to say the year it's from (2005) and that a lot from the recommendation list at the end is from the same publisher, go figure.