2D/3D CAD DESIGN THREAD

2D/3D CAD DESIGN THREAD

Attached: animation.gif (1157x725, 380.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_NX
steamcommunity.com/id/KO1134
tpbduck.com/torrent/13153982/Lynda_-_SOLIDWORKS_2016_Essential_Training
files.solidworks.com/pdf/EDU_SW_SEK_Installation_Guide_ENG_2017.pdf
solidworks.com/sw/education/SDL_form.html
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/23/shot-2018-fdm-l5-pseudo-caseless-rifle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How the fuck do you draw things 3D in CAD? How many minutes did it take to make that model?

I'm not OP but I am a drafter and working toward my BS in ME.

In most CAD programs most features start with a sketch on a flat plane. Most of the time you will start with 3 intersecting planes that are arranged so that when looking at one head on the other two appear as perpendicular lines. Additional reference geometry such as points, axes, and more sketch planes can be created as needed.

A boss or extrusion is simply a 2-dimensional sketch that has been "pulled" out of the plane it was sketched on.

A revolution is a sketch that gets spun around an axis which may be internal to the sketch, an external axis feature, or an edge feature from a feature made earlier.

Sweeps consist of 2 features: a profile sketch, and a path that it follows. This is needed for screw threads and springs, as well as hoses and other irregular sweeps.

There's a lot more to it than just those, but those are the basics and what you'll use most of the time. I think I've only ever used the dome tool twice outside of practicing with it.

A project like the one shown in the OP is quite time consuming, but it's not as bad as you might think. A lot of the features shown are just extrusions, revolutions, and symmetric sweeps, or are patterns of simple features.

I have attached a video that should give you some idea of how this stuff works. I hope this helps.

What are you planning on doing with the degree?

Mechanical engineering? Probably working for the same sort of companies I worked for as a drafter. I've done industrial safety, construction and road repair equipment, HVAC equipment, and so on. I started each job through head hunters, if I liked it I stayed on after.

I did a project for Ruger's facility in Arizona, it's a nice place. They're right next to an airstrip. I have some ideas on how to improve small arms, and I would like to get into the industry. The problem is that the industry doesn't seem like it's that geared toward real innovation right now. I understand why, most companies aren't willing to commit to a new technology if they don't think there is sufficient demand, and most consumers won't buy a new technology if they think it won't be supported in five years.

I have some other interests, mostly centered around things like self-repairing machines, self-replicating mobile factories, and other sci-fi tech that works great in video games and novels but wouldn't make much sense in a world with cheap Chinese slave-made products.

I didn't actually watch this video before attaching it. Now that I have I think it may not have been the best for introducing newbies to CAD. Here's another one that shows some different features.

Does your design take UZI parts, or is it just meant to follow the same lines aesthetically?
Because a milled receiver UZI would actually be kind of neat.

Can Blender be a substitute?

You use solidworks w/physics upgrades or creo like a functional autist instead of bothering with shitty CAD/CAM software like a leech.

Wish I still had the CAD files for my robot claw to shoot shit with, but I lost it when my last computer died a horrible death.

Triple posting aside (sorry), you seem like a guy who has a good head on his shoulders (Did a little HVAC/CNC work, mostly Electrical/Networking since I like working with my hands but don't like getting them dirty). Why not Chemical or Industrial instead of mechanical engineering?

Best source to date that I've used has been Tickoo's solidworks books. You can pirate one of the older versions, but it's hands-down the best source for getting you through the Solidworks certifications while providing accurate and brief instruction/activities to follow along.

Oh, if only you knew how many faggots fuck up 3D printed/CNC/Laser cutting products from your country for a quick buck… American drafters/designers hate your country by the way. I'd say at the bare minimum, Dolphin's hobby CAD/CAM software will do the job accurately, but while open source is nice, the proprietary stuff is where it's at if you want accurate results for anything to a higher level of precision than a single-shot shotgun.

Attached: 1510462374149-1.gif (350x339, 913.19K)

You can try but it doesn't have any of the drafting features that let you use a model to create prints for a machinist. Solidworks and several other CAD packages are primarily solid modelers that add in a lot of extra features geared toward engineering and production. Blender and other 3D art programs are primarily surface modelers geared toward making art.

If you're already familiar with Blender and want to give something like what OP was showing off then go ahead, it would be a great project. If you have no experience with any 3D modeler and intend to go into an engineering or production line of work then you'd be better off taking the necessary classes at a university and tackle this sort of thing as a final project or in your spare time over the summer. Students can buy a deeply discounted version of any of the major CAD/CAE programs. It's a full version too. The only hiccup is that all files saved in that student edition will be watermarked, so it won't look good if you try to use it for commercial purposes.

General education question, I'm a youngfag and after finishing my general courses in college I'm gonna have to decide what I want to major in. I've decided on programming, electrical/computer engineering, computer science, and AutoCAD. I honestly don't know which one to pick and would rather to go live in the rurals reading books to learn instead of playing someone's game in the urbans.

Attached: 1440363177305.gif (221x196, 410.13K)

You need the paper to get your foot in the door and get to grease palms and make networks, but IMO it's the self taught learning that actually gets you anywhere beyond that.

Go with EE or Comp Sci. Anyone can program but if you want to stand out you need to be able to do more than code. You also have to work well with hardware, and people too.

AutoCAD is just one drafting program, and while it was the industry standard for engineers and architects, it's quickly being replaced by more powerful systems. Don't just stop at drafting. Engineering firms used to have teams of drafters working with teams of engineers. Now most firms, if they have a drafter in their engineering department at all, have just one or two working for maybe a dozen engineers. CAD is a time saver and managers know it.

Don't try to learn it all on your own. That's a lot harder than you think it will be, and there is a good chance that you will miss something important. Remember that you don't know what you don't know. If you're in a tech school you should be able to transfer a lot of what you have taken to a state university. Accept the debt of student loans, focus on your school work, and get through with the best grades you can muster. GPA won't matter for shit during most of your career but it can make or break you in getting that first internship.

Honestly my school gave us a free copy of the program for our home computers that was still usable even after the license "expired."
Believe it or not, a lot of companies will buy one official license and then use student licenses because of how cheap they are. They'll produce all their files and as long as you save it on the "official" copy at the end, it'll get rid of the watermark in most cases.

You can do CAD work from home but you'll want to pick up a mix of AutoCAD/Solidworks/Creo if you want to go that route. CompSci is a great way to work from home like you want to, while programming will either force you into an office with pajeets or force you into making pennies trying to get by if you want to work from home. Only senior engineers really get to work from home.

If you're comfortable on $20-$25/hour, just get the CAD certs and try to get an "electronics/robotics manufacturing" cert or focus to go with it from your local community college. If you pick up some network security skills to go with your CAD skills (such as the CCNA Routing & Switching followed by the CCNA Security), at most you might have to go in to program a router/switch but can pretty much live in the boonies otherwise, and you can get all those certs (along with a specialized AAS degree) in about a year and a half if you've already completed your core requirements. Network/Cyber Security certs at the CC level are also backed by the NSA, Military, DHS, and FBI, and it's pretty much the equivalent of a bachelor's degree from only a year or two's worth of schooling. If you want to go that route, find local Capture The Flag meetings (computer kind, not paintball kind), and try to get your EC-Council’s Certified Ethical Hacker certification combined with a CCNA for guaranteed long-term employment without a degree (though at that point with a couple extra classes you'll qualify for an AAS in Cyber Security and possibly an AAS in Network Technology).

Attached: 9b5b1bc8452166551f01d52cbbc2b93f52ce2611fdb3079b8fbdae460a981414.jpg (1052x1634, 784.44K)

Ah, that is to say, if you plan on going toe CompSci route and want a shortcut, just get your CCNA and CEH and maybe (if you want) the CompTia A+. At that point you're 1 semester away from a double AAS in Cyber Security/Networking Technology (possibly triple with Computer Science if you go two semesters) if you have your core reqs covered though. Build up a portfolio and do some odd jobs, and you won't even need the bachelors degree unless you want to go into government work or high-end work involving government contracts (but at that point your company will probably be paying for you to get the bachelors degree).

Oh forgot to mention, if you end up going the CAD route, pick up some CNC/Machining because nowadays the firms will push off most of the simple CAD work to the Engineers and then only have designers around for stuff they can't do in an hour. Be prepared to learn and utilize shortcuts because you'll get bonuses for using the keyboard instead of the mouse to do stuff since it's considered "time-saving" (design companies, at least the high-end ones, legit put mouse-tracking software on their computers to see how much you're moving the mouse around- you get audited based on how many clicks you make/how much distance your mouse moves). Whenever you produce a part, produce extras and catalog/store them, because a firm WILL come back and ask for more down the line, and having them on hand means you can sell/ship them quick and become said firm's preferred client in the future for those sort of deals.

Thanks for the advice.

No

It's has the mag in grip aesthetic.

Different subject but the CBJ-MS receiver is made of 1 piece of sheet metal.

Hopefully I'll start building it some time next year.

Attached: gggg.png (900x519 64.98 KB, 72.45K)

Siemens NX is what Class-A surface designers use. Be sure to turn on your egress firewall to block everything outbound, and only allow trusted applications out. Siemens NX must be fully blocked, if pirated, because it is known to signal flare to Siemens. See Siemens vs 100 John Does for more info. Figure it costs $36K + some 5K/yr for a single "floating" seat/license (i.e. not locked to a single computer) at "MACH-III" level. As for more 'toy' CAD platforms like solidwerks, there's Siemens SolidEdge ST. Same with egress firewall recommendation.

What CNC machines would you guys purchase if had the money & space?

Pocket NC could be a good starter. 5-axis desktop mill for about $7K.

Siemens is shit. Can't speak 100% for their 3D shit, but from a PLC standpoint where I constantly have to work with both Rockwell and Siemens, they're absolute garbage for high school bottle capping machines only exceeded in shit quality by the proprietary non-re-programmable shit that Motorola puts out.

The base kit for "solidwerks" is $5k and for about $10k you can get all the licensed laboratory-tested upgrades needed for stress testing and such at the level where you'd be shooting that shit into space at the same level as Siemens. I might have agreed that Siemens was a good competitor back in like 2010, but this is like shouting "10mm" when everyone's using the slightly less powerful but far cheaper .45acp. Siemens might be the pay-for linux distro, but when everyone and their dead grandmother is using Microshaft (Solidworks) in the real world (read: international market) and just transferring the objects into a Siemens-compatible format, it makes no sense to pay all that extra for the mild benefits. Siemens is built better for direct transfer onto the CNC machine or for factory-line automobile robots, but that's about its only advantage in the adapting world. Obviously the general rule of thumb with any 3D design software is being comfortable with it and capable of using it in the real world, but at that point you might as well make Revit a contender. The advantage of Solidworks is that the software will accomplish 80% (95% with upgrades from the base package) of the work that top-of-the-line programs will accomplish for 20% of the cost, and it will do it accurately and efficiently. Solidworks is cheap, fast, and one of the most easily learned/operated 3D Design software out there (other than maybe learning tools like Inventor) between its shortcuts and operability. The only place Siemens has an "Advantage" over Solidworks is in the Aircraft, Automobile, and Defense industries, and that's because the program was never designed for those industries (and as I said above, they compete just fine in those industries if you're willing to buy the specialty expansions).

Even with Solidworks off the table because it's comparing apples and oranges, I'd still take Creo over Siemens if I needed a top-of-the-line program. Creo beats Siemens hands-down for multi-format integration, ease-of-use/learning, and 3D printing capabilities (I've got a buddy that used to work over at Titan Robotics so I'd like to think I know a thing or two about the future of additive manufacturing). Not to mention I can get a running copy of Creo that will do everything Siemens would for about $2.2k/year.

Attached: PTC_Creo.png (504x170, 23.56K)

So, Linux and professional CAD programs. Does that combination exist to begin with?

Attached: linuxGOTY.png (245x434, 103.7K)

gno

FreeCAD is a thing which exists, its useable but no way near as full-featured as SolidWorks et al.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_NX
Apparently it runs on Unix-like operating systems.

Attached: tmp_24158-15135244920013255691835750356346.jpg (1486x925, 181.46K)

I should add, I'm incompetent when it comes to computers so I may very well be missing something. No experience with CAD either.

Video related if you're an opensource faggot.

Please note, you will spend most of your time learning this shit than making anything in it as with most opensource shit.

It works and is comprehensive but you aren't going to learn it overnight

Honestly for the most basic CAD stuff on freeCAD all you need to know are:
-How to make a sketch (in part design)
-How to pad a sketch
-How to pocket a sketch
-How to revolve a sketch

I'm not saying FreeCAD lacks bugs or quirks (It most certainly does) but you can start making basic stuff within a few minutes of downloading it.

unix-like could mean anything it is so vague, Mac OS hebrew hammer for PC is referred to as unix-like

Attached: mlo.PNG (1122x549, 78.08K)

whatsit

I use Inkscape to draw or trace things i want
to create in 3d and Blender to convert the file so i can then pull them in to 3d objects in an old version of sketchup.

Attached: _1439310974989.jpg (660x441, 29.77K)

How do you scale models for games?

doesnt look tall enough. i didn't make notice before, that thing uses uzi mags, smart choice.

From what I understand those things are made in some ex-Yugo country (Croatia?) where tooling for uzi parts is common so its no surprise they decided to use uzi mags.

my nigger
It takes everything right about a good, solid CAD program, and adds a nice, functioning UI.

Its not an official model, this is a garage gun. It just has ridiculous levels of quality.

Montenegro or Macedonia is more likely.

I remember the story from a while back. This example belonged to an EU trucker and it was made in Croatia. A whole lot of them have identical guns have been found in and around Croatia and that country is apparently littered with illegal factories supplying the rest of Europe with illicit small arms.

i wanna visit them.

Next time the balkans decide to implode upon themselves go join on the croatian side, after the war there will probably be plenty of opportunity.

OP, you should check out World of Guns/Gun Disassembly 2 on Steam/FB/phones, but specifically the steam one

Attached: VZ 61 wog.webm (1364x768 1.62 MB, 2.09M)

steamcommunity.com/id/KO1134

I have it already.

Who doesn't at this point?

Oh, I wasn't talking about basic shit, It's just that if you're used to another environment, and know advanced functions within that environment, you end up having a hard time.

That's what I was going into.

is there any major handicap to freecad? can i export to other software?

fuckit im pirating solidworks

so what do you plan on modeling?
you can get a 3yr student license for fusion 360 the UI is slower for me at least compared to SW

tpbduck.com/torrent/13153982/Lynda_-_SOLIDWORKS_2016_Essential_Training

If all you wanna do is make CAD files that a machinist can read, as long as everything's dimensioned, you can use whatever software you want. The issue is if you want to perform any sort of metrological study/material analysis or Additive Manufacturing/CNC Milling, then you need the right program for the right job. Not all programs are created equal.

If you're creating it for architectural designs, then you want Revit. If you're doing it for a K-12 project, you just need the dimensions so Autodesk Inventor could probably do the job. Want it for the Physics lab and don't want to pay $70,000 dollars/don't plan to use fluid objects? Solidworks has you covered. Building it for Electronics? Creo every time. Aircraft? You probably want Siemens. Building stupid fixtures for the military? Dolphin CAD/CAM will do the trick for dirt cheap. If you haven't ever used CAD software before, then the free shit will get the job done until you learn- don't go shelling out mega bucks on CAD/CAM shit until you understand how the software works. That being said, know that the free shit is free for a reason- it can't do all th advanced shit that a cheap copy of Creo or student version of Solidworks can do.

I've actually talked with Solidworks reps out in Kentucky before. They pretty much turn a blind eye to individuals pirating it so long as you aren't a company using it for professional purposes. That being said, if you tell them you're a student trying to get certified over the phone/can send them basic documentation showing you actually are a student in a STEM field, they'll typically give you a copy for free as well as a voucher to go take the designer certs for free when you feel comfortable doing them. If you get the Solidworks cert, you can pretty much work at any sub-$25/hour CAD/CAM job. If you're pirating just to fuck around with it for personal use, it's gotta be either Solidworks or Creo since if you learn those two software (and I mean really learned them), you've effectively learned every CAD software out there other than the minor details.

do you know a good piratesouce that wont get me a bonus chinese bitcoinminer?

So I threw this together in my spare time last night and made a gif today because SW motion study decided to be a buggy mess. I don't know about this one. Dardick, Grandy, Hughes, TRW, and a handful of other developers tinkered with plastic cases fed sideways into a weapon in the past. I'm thinking this might be a more workable concept with a single barrel. I know the chicklet was inefficient but I think that had more to do with the interior of the cartridge being divided into separate compartments with only narrow windows in the middle for the gasses to move from the side chambers into the center channel.

I don't know if I'll continue with this concept just yet, what do you guys think? At least it should have no problem with very long cartridges. That was always a problem with the Metal Storm concept; cartridges that too up half the weapon length would necessitate either a side feed like this, or a very long cylinder, which is what they ended up going with.

>files.solidworks.com/pdf/EDU_SW_SEK_Installation_Guide_ENG_2017.pdf
>solidworks.com/sw/education/SDL_form.html
Find a School License ID, SDK-ID or SEK-ID, create a gmail account, fill out the form at the second site listed, download the installer. I think it's an 8GB download. You should get about a year to work. Enjoy.

Attached: Section.JPG (1437x872 141.61 KB, 4.46M)

Get
TopSolid
The frogs did something right for once and you can find the full suite crack out there.

Actually, I suggest Katia for aircraft. It allows you to go wild on sheet metal.

I trying to make a model with equal wall thickness and when convert it to sheet metal but when I do doesn't add the bend to some of the corners, Why am I doing wrong? pic related im playing with solid model to sheet metal conversion solidworks sorry englesh no good.

pocs

Attached: ScreenHunter_235 Jan. 17 15.30.jpg (915x495 24.95 KB, 26.23K)

Are you collecting all the bends before you convert it? What is your bend radius set to?

If the 2 screencaps in the next post are a before and after it looks like it got the bends just fine. Can you flatten the part?

If collect bends doesn't work then you will need to select the edges you want to bend manually. I had to select the edges on this part.

Attached: step3.png (1445x872 126.39 KB, 115.96K)

And here it is with the flat pattern unsuppressed.

Attached: flat.JPG (1445x872, 134.65K)

Thanks M8
How do I make the the flat pattern look like yours?

My mouse just died today sucks because It was a struggle to navigate in SW on a touchpad to make this.

Attached: ScreenHunter_236 Jan. 18 21.30.jpg (546x430 23.06 KB, 25.08K)

how do i find a school license ID

I just copied that into a search engine and grabbed the first code I came across. It was the Northern Arizona University page, it's down for me at the moment but you can still see the cached version.

They have a section titled Getting Solidworks

Then download the installer and run it. The installer will download all the files for installation and begin the installation. You will be sent an email with a code that's needed to activate a license for 1 year or until a certain date, whichever is first, and then you can have fun learning how models are made in SW.

I strongly recommend that anyone interested in this watch Youtube tutorials on the basics, taking notes, and duplicating what they're doing on screen so that you learn it. Just watching someone else isn't really enough to learn, you need to practice. For additional practice you may want to try your hand at some Luty and Holmes designs. Turning those projections into models, and then into your own drawings, will give you a good sense perspective, and decent idea of what drafting is like. This is no substitute for a university education but it can help you breeze through those classes where other students may struggle.

How do I make the the flat pattern look like yours?
Looks like you did.

There are a few ways to flatten a part. The first is through the history manager or history tree, on the left pane by default. All sheet metal parts will have a Flat Pattern section at the bottom of the tree. If you click on the arrow to open this you will see a suppressed flat pattern along with all the bends in that part. Unsuppress the flat pattern and the part will flatten. Bend lines, indicating where the bends the bends are on the flat pattern, will be shown as a visible sketch. These are needed for prints that tell machinists where to place their tools when running sheet metal through a press.

The next way to make a flat view is going to be the Unfold and Fold features that allow a user to selectively flatten the part in the model. This appears to be what you did.

Finally, with the part open, you can create a drawing from that part by going to file>create drawing from part. For sheet metal parts this will create a flat pattern configuration, and the flat pattern feature from earlier will be unsuppressed.

I hope that's enough for now. I have some work to do.

Attached: fold.png (281x711 94.7 KB, 32.75K)

thx guy, getting started now

Draw me a belt-fed automatic fire platform but sized to a rifle platform instead of a full machine fun.
RWDS's gonna need a backpack full of belts to eliminate all thots

Here you go.

Attached: belt-fed automatic fire platform but sized to a rifle platform instead of a full machine fun.png (898x566, 24.55K)

lurkmore

Level two
Belt fed semi-automatic pistol with a racking slide.

Attached: LucasFire.gif (350x262, 2.66M)

thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/23/shot-2018-fdm-l5-pseudo-caseless-rifle/
Seems like the multi-barrel concept with push-through ammunition is catching on with someone else. I have started working on expanding but I don't have any idea on when I will be able to finish it.

I've switched to a smooth-bore gun able to handle 12ga projectiles ~1/4" dia. I've also decided to avoid trying for any sort of automatic cycling, that introduces difficulties I'd rather avoid at the moment. The SGRR looks like it would be ideal.

I'm going for a multi-purpose weapon for police and specialists that can fire 4 taser, bean bag, skirted pepper ball, or other large projectile per less-lethal cartridge in the superposed configuration shown before. I think the lethals will contain 8+ sabot-ed bullets in the same configuration.

I think electrical ignition is the way to go. It would eliminate the need for primers and even linear actuators, and also greatly simplify the design and production. If you're going to have electrically operated hammer analogs, you might as well get rid of them all together.

I really wish I had kept the files from when I made this at work 2 years ago. My boss at the time just wasn't interested in a weird concept gun well outside of anything our company did. As a business decision it was the right move, and I don't think that what FDM is doing is going to work. They've replaced 4 to 5 cartridges cases with a chamber, greatly increasing the amount of dead weight anyone would be expected to carry while also reducing the total capacity. And by feeding the chambers the way they do, they're limiting how thin and light those chambers can be, and what material they can be made from. Injection-molded plastic cartridges, maybe with sheet steel inserts is a better way to go for a concept like this.

Attached: Bullpup__Shorty_Grip_Repeating_Rifle_S&O-GOrVd1gwRvc.webm (600x335 11.28 KB, 21.45K)

I don't know when I'll be able to show off what I'm working on here. I have my first midterms for 3 classes in 1 week so I need to devote all of my time to that right now. I hope to have something up either by or during spring break, but no promises.

OP

Attached: 72a613ed-b777-41ac-954e-ed83dfb94fc2.jpg (800x600, 76.38K)

I just thought of something looking at that webm, a digital trigger could make bull-pups more usable.

CNC/CAM class, or HAAS certification?

CNC/CAM class

Attached: VID_20180209_090646.mp4 (1280x720, 13.22M)

Gonna start modeling a double barrel shotgun later today

absolutely not.
Just download autodesk, it's free

Will you release the plans, Strelok?

Just make sure to have two triggers :^)

Well Zig Forums, I decided to take the plunge and buy an Anet A8 since I work in a CNC area anyways and I'm getting my solidworks certs in about two months. Figured I'd get a cheap DIY one so I can fuck around a little with it. I'm thinking I'll put a plexiglass frame around it so my autistic little brother doesn't break it on acident, and my boss has told me before I can use the CNC machine at work to mill out shit after-hours so long as I supply the materials and endmills for it.

I might see about building my own fun one day, but for now I'm just gonna fuck around.

Attached: anet_a8.jpg (1000x1000, 101.54K)