Revolvers

What's your opinion on them?

Attached: choot.jpg (550x550, 17.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

africahunting.com/threads/elmer-keith-handgun-hunter-firearm-enthusiast.3453/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Obsolete. Still being produced because of the aesthetics.

Fills a niche that semi-autos cannot in that you can have at least six ≥9x19 rounds with a grip that can be more comfortable for those with smaller hands or short fingers.
There is no minimum clearance between your body and the gun for those with shrouded hammers, so nothing snags if you're getting jumped.
Generally easier to learn how to shoot accurately than a semi-auto due to the grip and the trigger mechanism.
Very little can happen in terms of malfunction unless you're using a Taurus in anything more powerful than .38 Special.
Speedloaders are everywhere, speedstrips can be concealed more easily than magazines, moonclips are quick and efficient.

When something goes wrong, you're completely fucked.
Speedloaders are bulky, speedstrips are slow, moonclips are flimsy and require paying a premium for 9x19 or .45 ACP revolvers.
Five or six shot capacity.

Attached: tumblr_o264fcnfHr1tevf1do1_1280.jpg (564x494, 38.38K)

They're pretty good

Attached: Pretty gud.gif (320x180, 584.46K)

1. Like said, their design permits the use of more powerful cartridges than are generally feasible with autoloaders (unless you go with huge ones with magazines separate from the grip like the PLR-16). Something of a niche, but useful in certain situations like a hunting or anti bear pistol.

2. Their manual of arms is extremely simple. Some people lack the physical ability to reliably do things like rack a slide. (pic related)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (550x587, 461.9K)

Revolvers will be obsolete when a pistol can comfortably load ammo I can hunt with.

AR pistol with a .50 Beowulf upper
wham bam
thank ya ma'am

now git out

I like them. They represent the smallest package people can comfortable carry and still take on- and win - a fight with an angry bear. If all you have is a hot loaded .357, 44 or .454, you're still very well armed.

Attached: d06ed5a1e32a215ca777091206041384.jpg (300x400, 20.67K)

A handgun is a weapon of opportunity. If you can comfortably carry that thing whilst doing other non gun stuff you've got a good deal.

Otherwise it's not really worth it.

That it's an expert gun.
The guy with countless hours and tens of thousands of rounds on it is perfectly capable to down 6 people with 6 shots of .357 in an instant.
But unless you really commit to the platform you're better off using any semi-auto.

While I was in the army in Tselinoyarsk I was told I was pretty good with them.
Pretty much why I still use one.

They're still good for fat rounds and reliability.
Automag pistols are a meme.

Attached: 357webleyandersonwheelen.png (1390x546, 339.39K)

Isn't that a bit autistic?

Attached: 12_shots.webm (640x480, 3.64M)

I dig them. I think they’ll do the job for defensive use, and they’ve made decent back up guns in the past. As for direct action stuff, except for very specific scenarios such as a singular target and a desire to leave no shell casings behind, a semi auto would serve better.

Pretty much this. It's not that shit can't go wrong with a revolver, but they're a lot more forgiving when shit does go wrong. A semi-auto can get jammed if you shoot it through a heavy jacket, but the same is generally not true of a revolver. Hand-loading your own ammunition for revolvers is more reliable since, like a shotgun, revolvers tend to have more tolerance for misshapen or otherwise improper ammunition, unlike a semi-auto.

For day-to-day use? I'd carry a semi-auto any day of the week since I'm not worried about long-term reliability, just short-term. For SHTF scenarios, aesthetics, and handing a gun to someone else in a jiff? I trust the revolver more.

Attached: 0e94e7c4d92547ff680ba0bd34cc0bbbe33c34c841999b5304b0e0eecdb50566.jpg (1024x717, 118.18K)

Every time I see this vid, I expect him to shoot himself in the foot.

Ball and cap revolvers and muskets are the only weapons legal with no hassle in my country.

welp, since you mention it.

Attached: 1221665379750.gif (325x241 48.7 KB, 2M)

A handgun is your second-to-last resort, with a good blade being the final solution. An operator never hunts with a pistol.

my favorite gif.

Attached: 1175963920849.gif (320x180, 770.09K)

The "you are" sort of gives it a way. It'd work much better with "you're" and then "a faggot".

Feel like arguing with elmer keith on that one?
africahunting.com/threads/elmer-keith-handgun-hunter-firearm-enthusiast.3453/

Why don't we do this? The wounds would be massive.

A profound hunter, but I speak of the general intended purpose for weaponry beyond hunting varmints, which superior technology is very much intended for.

A handgun is always there if it's legal and is out of the way whilst you are doing other shit, and 44 magnum is a valid hunting option from a 4-6" bbl. From what I've read it'll flatten bear at short ranges of sub 100yrd, and drop small game a lot further.

Yes, it is very useful, when used as a secondary firearm. Your rifle itself should be well suited to incapacitate or even neutralise bigger critters, which should be the focus for that weapon. The pistol is meant for close-range dealings where you don't think a knife will cut it. The many "gunslingers" people idolised in history for their use of revolvers very much relied on rifles for situations not suited to the former.

Beyond that, a traditional magazine-fed pistol proves to be the superior choice for a quick sidearm than a more hefty and complex revolver. I know bayonet charges can still be effective, these days, but that doesn't excuse staying behind in terms of technology, when the option is available.

That's called "keyholing" and the rounds bounce off of solid targets or don't penetrate more than an inch or so.

This is good right? That means more energy is being dumped into the target, causing massive hemorrhaging.
If you made a hole the shape of a key it would be pretty big.

Keyholing means your bullet isn't engaging the rifling. You would be better off with a hollowpoint.

Bullets don't travel as far, are less accurate, and are more affected by wind and air resistance. It also doesn't have good penetration so if your enemy is wearing armor you're out of luck, but if the enemy doesn't have armor then yes it would cause more damage.

Not the shape of a key, the shape of a keyhole. A bullet's keyhole is larger than the normal bullet hole because the bullet wasn't stabilized and went in while tilted at an angle.

Attached: 5aa3324cc83b3596df298885ff1803a225e83813a541d7b5f8dced89ea8cf627.png (419x644, 243.87K)

He never specified what he's hunting. Maybe he's hunting Elk, Bears, or the most dangerous creature of them all Man.

But then even if you spend all the money and time on getting a license a revolver is kind of pointless from a home defense perspective, bp revolvers already hold 6 and you can buy them much cheaper, quicker and you don't need to keep them in a safe, you can keep them loaded on your desk and it's all legal. Only downside is that the'yre single action and that they generate lots of smoke

There are conversion kits to modern .44 Ammo for most popular revolver models though.

Unfortunately? we don't have niggers to shoot and the most common perpetrator is actually a gypsy.
for 400~ bucks you can get a .50 musket with no registration, or any legalities other than showing your ID to prove you're a citizen and over 18

Why would you convert your bp revolver anyway ? Best you get is a loading gate which takes time to load too and modern .44 ammo is more expensive than just .44 balls. I don't need to mention they're illegal of course.

Owning a gun made before 1885 doesn't make you a steampunk faggot

I confirm this, but IMO at the very least get a double barreled shotgun if you think about home defense, 1 shot isn't much. It's best to get a revolver.

It's just a different cylinder, and would be good for a civil war that will happen the moment EU collapses because people are being fed up with sharing country with Polish-Speaking Brigand Community, but unfortunately it's not possible with Germany still having the legal ability to intervene with their police and army to murder anyone right of merkel restore rule of law™ and (((democracy)))
Not that I own one, or would know how to obtain one.

Two blasts outside the house? Are you shitting me, Pole? You really taking Joe Biden's advice here?

I like the idea of them but the cylinder gap (this can be easily fixed with a Nagant like system at least), width, capacity, and crane fragility or slow reloading (loading gate)/ fragility and limited power (top break) I don't care for.

Pick only one.

How about a pistol sized AR then

Attached: CIMG3627.JPG.jpg (640x480, 47.88K)

Why not keyholing hollowpoints?

Big holes are better, aren't they?

Did you not read?
It means the flying bullet thinging doesn't spin and doesn't hit what you're aiming at so good. Also hollowpoints are designed to open in a certain way and travel through flesh in a certain way. Keyholing is shit.

Are you fucking with us or are you genuinely this ignorant?
The way a hollow point works is when it hits it's target it expands, making itself larger and causing more damage inside the target. Pic related is the before and after. The top is before with the casing; the bottom is after without the casing.
If it enters it's target at an angle or sideways it won't expand as well as it could have if it expands at all.

Not in general. If you have a tumbling bullet you are trading in accuracy, range, and penetration for a slightly larger hole. If you are ok with trading in the above for more damage against an unarmored target, just use a shotgun. If you don't want to trade in the above for a larger hole, you use a bigger bullet. If you want the same sized gun with relatively the same accuracy and range, but you want a more damage done to an unarmored target, use a hollow point.

Attached: HollowPoint.jpeg (800x497, 39.63K)

I remember someone a while back asking a similar question- "Why is penetration always so important? Don't you want something expanding to the size of a frypan?" ofc the size of a bullet required for a small frypan assuming 90% of the bullet peeling outwards is .50bmg

Only in the deluded fantasies of coke snorting 70's gun rag writers is energy transfer that ludicrously, exclusively important.

Could you not give it multiple hollow points? Pic related

You would need an interesting barrel shape but I think it's a good idea.

Attached: bullet.jpg (250x206, 6.47K)

No, its not. Stop posting.

Alright, now I know you're fucking with us.

I own a Webley MKVI, Webley MKIV, Enfield No. 2, H&R Sportsman .22LR, Security Six, SP101, and Blackhawk .357. The only semi autos I own are a Tokarev and a 1908 Vest Pocket. My wife has an AR and a S&W shield and a bunch of non-fudd guns too so there's that, I just love old shit.

In other words I fucking love revolvers. Next gun I'm getting's going to be a 1917 S&W. I've been shooting and reloading for revolvers for longer than most people on here have been alive I reckon. In other words if anyone has any questions about them by all means ask me shit. I carry the SP101 and can confirm that somehow Frenchie here:

is correct. In the amount of time, bullets, and effort it's taken me to get to the point that I can reliably put 5 bullets on target at 25 yards with a snubnose SP, I could probably have gotten to the point where I'm olympic-level good at shooting a Glock or something of its ilk. It really does take an absurd amount of time and effort to git gud with one. It is all about the trigger pull and hand position. If you're shit with a snubbie the best advice I can give you is pull that trigger so many times it's insane. I've tuned the triggers of all the modern-ish wheelguns I've ever owned to be more comfortable to me. An 8-pound wolff spring in the SP is 5000 times easier to shoot with than the stock Ruger 14-something pound hammerspring. Get a grip that enables you to fit your hand as far up the grip as possible. I'm not kidding, usually I have the webbing of my right hand either right next to the top or over the top of the grip when I'm trying to do double action distance shooting. Choke that bad boy as up as you can, always worked for me though my hands are massive so your results may vary

This is also true, though I've had enough shit malfunction on me with my various ones that I can confirm the revolver reliability meme is usually just that. I've had one get stuck between chambers before. Hammer pulls back and the hand would catch the cylinder but not correctly and just like half rotate it between the firing pin. Makes the gun completely and utterly useless, much worse than just a stovepipe or something, needs to be disassembled and reassembled to be fixed. When a revolver breaks it's a gunsmith problem 90 percent of the time, when a semi auto breaks it's a user repair problem 90 percent of the time.

That said I still love them.But they really aren't a shitload better than a semi auto unless you SERIOUSLY practice with it.

I'm not kidding when I say I've put over ten thousand rounds through my Security Six by now and pry half of that through my carry gun. You have to practice a fucking LOT.

Reloading isn't nearly as hard as lots of people make it out to be. It's just muscle memory like anything else. I absolutely love reloading a top break revolver, I sincerely wish there were more of them using modern metallurgy because it's an absolute joy to load a MKIV up. That one is probably the fastest reloading one I have. For all the nobody on earth that could give a shit, I find the easiest way to do it is:

Thumb on latch, depress. Left hand fingers around barrel, left thumb in trigger guard holding tension. You can now snap it open with your left hand only as your right hand gets a speedloader. Wrap left index finger around cylinder to prevent rotation. Use left hand to insert speedloader into cylinder, drop loader, move right hand to grip, snap shut.

It sounds like a lot but I'm not kidding when I say that with practice you can reload a MKIV Webley in less than three seconds if you practice doing that enough.

Now WHY you would want to get to the point where you can reload a comically outdated revolver that fires a barely above adequate for squirrel hunting round in less than three seconds is a question you have to find within yourself, but a heaping dose of autism helps

And for the record, for anyone wondering, speedloaders for a S&W Model 10 work perfectly in a Webley MKIV/Enfield No. 2. Exactly the same cylinder diameter. Safariland loaders work best, always preferred push-button style to twist style. Speed strips are a shitty meme that are just barely easier or faster than loading individual rounds by hand.

As for which way is superior for reloading a swing-out cylinder revolver AKA 99 percent of the revolvers anyone owns I honestly can't tell ya. I think I'm slightly faster doing the "speed loader left hand, don't lose your grip" method but fumble far less with the "whole gun in your left hand, right hand grabs speed loader" method. I can say that push-button loaders will shave seconds off your reloads as opposed to the HK twist style ones. I can also say that getting your cylinder chamfered really does make reloading easier at the expense of a shitload of money to get it done. I can also tell you that the cheapo HK speedloaders wear out after only a couple hundred or so reloads and I've had it happen a few times before. I can also tell you that with a Security Six revolver you really don't *need* to tilt the gun upwards to do the unloading portion of the reload, the ejector rod clears the casings no problem, and that with an SP101 it doesn't so you have to do the "up-down" thing with it.

So yeah. None of that information was probably useful to fucking anyone but there it is. If any of you faggots have any questions about revolvers, shooting them, carrying them, reloading them, or anything by all means I love this topic.

Or keep bitching about keyholing for some reason, that too…

I want to hurt whoever did this to a MKVI. I really want to hurt them for the fact that that really, really doesn't look like reloaded .45 in that clip, and that using hollowpoint copper jackets in a MKVI even if it is reloaded to safe pressures is hard on the light-ass rifling a MKVI has.

Remember kids, never, ever, EVER put factory-loaded .45 ACP or .45 AR into a Webley revolver. Just because it fits doesn't mean you should shoot it. Your hands will thank you when a cylinder rupture doesn't blow them the fuck off for being such a stupid dickhead and ruining an excellent old beautiful gun

The older ones have less meat on the cylinder, the VI is fine as far as preventing bursts - it's just that the everything else is more likely to fail due to the quick burning powder and unprecedented amount of stress it will put on the pivot pin.

also I don't think there's enough rifling to stabilize the bullet as it is, let alone enough to wear down any further

No such thing.

Attached: [disgust].png (332x327, 159.83K)

.45 ACP is around 21000 PSI CUP? Can't remember which unit loaded in modern cartridges, .455 Webley's max recommended is somewhere around 13050 if memory serves. It's very dangerous to put that hot of ammo in something that ancient. I've seen a few pictures of cylinders sheered in half by overpressured rounds, though the latch and hinge failing is more likely, it absolutely can happen. .455 was a slow-ass round.

For uncle revolverfag's perfectly safe recipe of reloading .45 Webley as economically and safely as you can, try 4.5-4.8 grains doesn't really matter which, 4.8 GR is the equivilent of one .5cc spoon on a Lee reloading spoon set so it's slightly easier but both are well under pressure and FPS of HP48 powder in a starline 45 Auto Rim case with some Remington large pistol primers and any 260 grain lead bullet you can find. There's one called "Pinbusters" I've used for a while that works nicely. It isn't great by any means in terms of accuracy but you can have the fun of firing a 100 year old gun safely and making it go bang.

I've been looking for years and NEVER found anybody selling actual .455 diameter bullets nor have I found any .455 caliber brass for sale so the auto rim with slightly too small bullets will have to do sadly

That should obviously say HP38, lel

Generally if a gun's going to blow up it depends on the integrity already being compromised by previous damage or the ammunition being unsafe for even modern firearms. That's a very, very basic note, though - don't do what you're not comfortable with and all that. I can respect safety.

Sounds like an excellent candidate for loading it with lead bullets and trail boss. With pressures that low, you wpuld be able to get away with 95/5 lead tin and tallow for lube in a keith bullet.

A totally not ar looking like a pistol

Attached: FightLite_Raider_M-Lok_-Right.jpg (2048x2048, 117.82K)

Has science gone too far?

As far as I know no one has slapped a 50 beowulf onto it yet

Are you insulting me?
You are insulting me.

Call me when either of those rounds aren't pieces of shit, fuck off.

Attached: anger.png (780x581, 328.03K)

It appears I have won.
If I shot you with one of my hollow points you wouldn't be so smug.

imagine getting hit by a .44 magnum.

The nice thing about .44 if you get hit with it is that you wouldn't have a body left to feel pain with

They're cool, but ultimately I think the concept is out of date.
There's not really any good reason to have a revolver over a semi-automatic in the modern era. Besides collection, anyway.

All this said, they're pretty cool.

pic related is a wound caused by a .44

Attached: 555c5adfbb47fce2595a5484c9596bbc65bbe08567e2b8c9bb500b3acbb30226.jpg (684x1024, 86.53K)

Ouch.

I imagined it.

Attached: imagine getting hit by a .44 magnum.png (800x600, 136.34K)

I bought my 6 inch Ruger GP100 chambered in .357 from my Dad for $400. I really love the thing. I find that .357 Magnum is a joy to reload for and it's versatility is pretty impressive. Brass is cheap, casting equipment is plentiful, and you can plink with the much cheaper to make .38 Special. It's as close as I'll get to having a Colt Python essentially, and plus I have the added assurance that I can load the super hot and heavy 200 grain rounds without too much wear on my gun. I always take it camping as well since CCI makes some pretty good snake shot for .38/.357. Always good to have on hand. I'm just not a big fan of the stock grip, I want to get the one with the wood inlays like pic related.

Attached: GP100 R-L.jpg (800x428, 91.79K)

fokken saved

Attached: burning laughing emoji plushy.png (860x801 266.33 KB, 185.2K)

I like 'em

.357 is indeed an awesome caliber. I too love how common the brass is and how long lasting it is and how fucking versatile the cartridge is. My current load is 13.5gr w296 under a 170gr swc.

Skeeter Skelton actually mentioned this caliber and gun combination as his "oh shit son it's nuclear holocaust, what are you going to hide in the mountains with" caliber.

If you're who I think you are, then I love your .357 raifu too.

ok if you're a civilian and have one for CCW or self defense because honestly, 6 rounds is more than enough to kill anything that moves.

however, they are obsolete for everything else. we know from 9mm vs .45 flame wars that capacity matters but revolvers don't even have the ease of reloading that pistols do.

they do have hunting pistols like deagle, wildey, automags, etc.

there is nothing inherently stronger about revolvers. its just the action of revolving a cylinder to align fresh cartridges with the chamber is easier to do with XBOX HUEG hunting rounds that have to extract, eject, feed, fire, repeat.

forgot to add that if you're defending against 1 or maybe 2 guys.

I'm left handed. I am incompatible.

Stop being a defeatist nigger and git gud.
4:42 in embed related

Think about every time you've had a malfunction in a semi-automatic. 99% of the time it's a failure to feed, failure to eject, double-feed, limp-wrist, or something you blame on your magazine. Catastrophic failure of the internals of a modern semi-auto is very rare.

What I like about revolvers is that they're immune to all of those problems, and while catastrophic failure of the internals may be slightly more likely due to the delicacy of the internals, in my experience:
a well-maintained late-model revolver using reliable ammo is more likely to go bang than a well-maintained late-model semi-auto using reliable ammo when the trigger is pulled.

In my opinion, this earns it top marks as a backup gun, arm-a-civilian gun, or home defense gun. I EDC a Ruger SP101 (sometimes as a BUG to my Glock 19); for home defense, my S&W 686+ is on the night stand above my Mossberg 500.

Welp, I guess that proves it: revolvers do suck. They had a good run, but this one guy's defective specimen is the nail in the coffin.

Come on, man.

oh boy i love death grips

Attached: Capture.JPG (828x295, 38.19K)

if you have a jam on a modern non-nigger tier gun, then you are

1. using shitty bubba ammo (not a fault of the gun)
2. breaking in a gun with virgin ass tight tolerances like a race gun or something (most guns arent raceguns)
3. limp wristing like a faggot (not a fault of the gun). this does not make you revolver ocelot. that Russian faggot was too lazy to correct his technique.

10/10

I feel like one of you Aussies was OP of the minimalism thread a couple weeks ago.

My opinion still stands and is relevant to this thread: I would be totally comfortable bugging out into the woods with nothing but my 6" S&W 686.

The versatility offered by the revolver platform is totally unparalleled by semi-autos, which are severely limited in their range of power level and bullet shape.

And that's fine, but here's the thing:
1. Even premium ammo gets the occasional light/heavy load or a slightly deformed hollowpoint that would choke up a semi-auto but be fine in a revolver. Sometimes you may even have to go through several brands of ammo to find something your gun "likes" and can fire reliably. It's not the gun's fault, you're right, but a revolver tolerates anything you can feed it.
2. A revolver requires no break-in period to be reliable. It can help smooth out the trigger a bit, but if it fires the first cylinder full it's good to go. This is a non-issue though, because nobody should be carrying a gun that they don't have a lot of experience with anyway.
3. No, it's not the fault of the gun, but it does happen to people… unless they're using revolvers.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I've been shooting for a long time and have seen new, old, well-maintained, and shitty semi-autos malfunction or otherwise not perform as the user intended. With revolvers, I've either seen ones that worked or ones that are broken.

When a semi-automatic malfunctions, you rack the slide(stripping the magazine sometimes necessary) and then keep shooting.
When a revolver malfunctions you ship it back to the factory.
That's the main difference.

Faggots

Totally agreed. All I'm really saying is that I'm more likely to get killed due to a remediable malfunction from a semi-auto than due to a total mechanical failure of a revolver.

Inb4 someone says
because that's a good point. We all make compromises.

I like them. I have a S&W Model 19, and want to get a Charter Arms Bulldog Classic. Mainly for walking around innawoods.

I recently picked up a heritage rough rider .22 it's a fun little plinking gun.

I like revolvers because they generally have better mechanical accuracy and better triggers, don't rely on recoil to cycle the action, and are more receptive to personal tuning.

Also .38spl/.357mag are extremely versatile rounds.

Pretty.

Guilty as charged. I too would happily march into the woods with my .357 carbine and not feel undergunned for anything that lives here.

Bolters when?

Thanks for the hearty chuckle.

Attached: 1436248516448-3.jpg (725x713, 131.86K)