Zig Forums...

Zig Forums, how would one go about making there own cnc/mill machine like the ghost gunner to build and finish their own ar lowers?

Attached: 7dbcede1ea419b7ea11544dfaa80926429d83e68.jpeg (618x410, 54.41K)

You just hoping someone will post all
Those Jennifer Lawrence leaks I bet.

Why do you write like a retard?
Any CNC machine capable of shitting out an AR is likely as expensive or more expensive than the "Ghostbusters machine". A regular milling machine can be cheaper, but it takes more skill. Building a CNC from scratch using a milling machine takes time, skill and about as much money as the ghostgunner (for the whole combo).

Bottom-line: Get a ghostgunner.

opensourcemachine(DOT)org
now git

Rather than building your own from scratch you can just buy a cheap one from ebay for 600 burgers.

Just look up Grizzly Tools.

nigger

There is a little more to it but if you can't do all or at least most of this yourself it's not worth it.

Unless you intend to finish a large quantity of them, I think you'd be better off doing it manually with a drill press. Even if you ruin a couple, you're unlikely to surpass the cost of one of those machines.

Just use a regular CNC machine? Or a 3D printer? I mean you can build your own CNC machine if you want to waste money on a raspberry pi and the proper tools, but it's gonna be a piece of shit.

Just buy 80% lowers and a drill press.

Stop this. It's the most retarded thing you can do when posting links.

this things a meme, better off looking elsewhere

If you have a CNC machine, making an AR receiver is dumb. A turbine has so much more worth and utility.

There are stamped AR lowers, I have seen them, why is everyone obsessed with milling and 3D printing?

Machining is a great skill to have, even the shittiest machinist can make awesome homemade guns. 3d printing is a meme.

Could you build a machine to stamp a receiver from scratch (or finish the sheet metal equivalent of an 80% lower) automatically for cheaper than a Ghost Gunner? Would the ATF allow it? Is the performance and robustness up to par with the off-the-shelf equivalent?

If you can design something that answers yes to all these questions, then you should go make it right now. That's a million dollar idea.

Yes. I could make it. An AK stamped receiver is so easy a retard can make it with pliers, hammer, and an anvil. I can't imagine an AR receiver is impossible with a garage full of tools.

Hell no… but it would be easier…

You can get AR flats for like 30 bucks, but you need to be able to weld. Personally, I think welding is easier. You still need to drill and tap some holes.

you just need some gears and spokes

Just look up the parts that they use and replicate the exact same thing. Cody Wilson doesn't believe in IP or patents so you're free to do what you want.

3D printing is not a meme, friend. It is the companion piece to your CNC mill, and your best friend for printing all of the things you can't or shouldn't machine, like grips, stocks, accessories, magazines, snapcaps and dummy rounds, foregrips, spacers, buffer blocks, et al.

Printing a gun comprised of mostly 3d printed parts is a meme, sure, but don't discount the utility of having a machine that can make literally any plastic object you could dream up.

Go get you some FOSSCAD packs and at minimum, a cheap cartesian or mid-high quality delta printer. You will not be disappointed.

Are there any good metal 3D printers?

As far as I know the procedure for most 3D printing of parts is:
1. Print 3d structure out of foam
2. Encase foam in plaster or other molding material
3. Let plaster dry
4. Pour petrosol or some other solvent in that dissolves and washes out the foam
5. Pour molten metal into the plaster mold, usually aluminum
6. Let it cool, crack the mold, remove it with a sand/water sprayer
7. Use milling and other techniques to shape it better, because molding is pretty rough, and requires extra unneeded parts for structural stabilization
8. Deburr it
9. Anneal it

Which is a pretty complex procedure.

Modern FDM printers can print with metal-PLA filaments, that are essentially plastics with heavy a heavy admixture of fine metal shavings. You can print your part, kiln fire it, the plastic evaporates, and you get a (somewhat) solid metal object that way, but that's really not the point.

The point is, if you have both a mill and a printer, you can make complete guns, making trips into town only for things like ammo and screws. Everything a mill can't make, a printer should be able to, and vice-versa.

That, and you're not just limited by a couple different types of plastic anymore. I've personally printed with carbon composite, wood, a super strong new plastic known as Alloy 910, which you could safely print AR lowers out of, various rubbers, etc.

Like I said before, printing gun parts that should be made of metal is a waste of your time, unless you want to get the DEFCAD 80% jig and dummy lower, so you can practice on a piece before using the real one. Printed lowers work fine if your machine is calibrated, and I know of a solid handful of people who have put hundreds of rounds through them, but beyond that, don't do it. Use the printer for all of the extant plastics on your gun.

The only thing that a prototyping machine can do that a mill can't is internal geometry. Everything else is a matter of how much time you want to spend on fixtures and tooling.

Second, if you wanted to set up a rudimentary machine shop, you'd need a drill press and a lathe, not a mill. Plus the usual collection of cutting tools, drills, taps, dies, files, saws, and so forth. You can do a surprising amount of milling jobs on the lathe, either by clamping the workpiece to the faceplate or to a vice on the cross slide.

Also, machinable wax is a thing. The reason we machine things from forgings and castings is to save machine time and tool wear. Except wax cuts like it's not there, so you can rough out the shape of your part, use it as a pattern for casting, then go back and machine only the features that require a mechanical fit with other parts. You can even reuse the wax if you care enough to gather the chips and remelt them.

Attached: serveimage2.jpeg (580x254 14.82 KB, 52.72K)

Yes, but 3D Printing is easy as fuck compared to having a full-stop machine shop, and when it comes to plastic parts, I'd much rather save valuable time

Bear in mind that I'm not suggesting making casting moulds out of plastic for metal parts, here. 3D printing is useful for making your furniture, grips or even a temporary AR lower, and shit like that, not making moulds of frames, slides, receivers, etc.

Once you figure them out, you don't have to waste man hours printing off your 1911 grips, or some stupid novelty picatinny attachment.

So ir is useful for useless shit that can be had for cheap or made better with wood, fiber reinforced resin or even pourable polymers and negative molds?
Gotcha, I'll be sure to waste my shekels on one.

Also, both ""metal"" and ""carbon fiber"" printing are a fucking scam.

Taulman 910 sure as shit isn't a scam.