Shalom, Zig Forums

Shalom, Zig Forums
My grandmother lives in an apartment in a decent part of town. Recently however a couple meth heads have been trying to break into the other residencies, a few of them being successful. She's getting worried they might try her door, so she asks me for a handgun. I let her feel my CZ75 SP01 for reference and she said it was too heavy for her.
What would be a decent handgun for her, Zig Forums? I was thinking something .380 like a Bersa Thunder or a Beretta 85, light recoiling and small. She asked me about a .22lr handgun, but I figure a pack of meth heads might not be so easily thwarted.

Attached: download (1).jpeg (269x188, 5.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP
smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-crimson-trace
buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I should have mentioned:

1. consider her ability to rack the slide in purchasing a hand gun. i looked for a firearm for my grandmother and the only one that she could actually reload was a walther pk380
2. handguns are not great for hd. consider a shotgun or semi auto rifle of some kind instead.

Get her a .38 special. Literally the best grandma handgun ever.
That or go for a 9mm Shield or P365. She'll need something that's small, can fit in her purse and doesn't have much recoil.

Don't use lightness as your main factor. Get the heaviest gun she can comfortably handle. The heavier recoil of a lighter gun will be hell on arthritic hands and may result in loss of the weapon under recoil.

Warning: Mostly unsubstantiated bullshit incoming.

Came here to say this. Handguns require more upper body strength, fine motor control, and most of all experience to be proficient with. Not great for a gun that's probably going to be kept by the bedside and never fired.
You want something with a stock, light recoil, and good handling characteristics. Probably a shotgun or pistol caliber carbine.

Exosuit and PKP.
Beretta Nano maybe? Being able to operate it is very important, maybe a shotgun is more viable than you think; pointing and holding will be easier at least

Sounds like the perfect situation to get her a 20ga pump. I'd recommend looking for one of the 8 shot Mossberg 500 HDs they sold under various brand names several years ago.

If you're stuck with a handgun, absolutely listen to this. Additionally a compact or subcompact gun will have a smaller gripping surface and usually a heavier recoil spring, making it harder to rack the slide. If you have to go with a handgun, find something full sized she can actually manipulate and that will run reliably with light loads.

Friendly reminder that revolvers exist.

Yeah, the thunder 380's probably not a bad choice. However for real newbies, true no-nothing separatists, any small revolver isn't a bad choice either. Reason being they really require no known knowledge to operate and comply with natural defensive instincts – no real training required to operate the firearm at all and offers six chambers of redundancy.

Basically revolvers are like automatic transmissions, wherein if a round does fire all that is required to cycle a new round is to just pull the trigger again: something that's pretty favorable to new shooters who live in large liberal hotbeds where shooting ranges are a highly valued (and small) commodity. Sure, you get less ammo and more weight, but they require zero brain function to operate, and you get to use more powerful rounds if you wish.

Buy whichever you find at a reasonable price. The thunder 380 is also a pretty decent starter gun, especially for defensive scenarios. It tucks in nicely too. You could also look into the pocket 380s at that price like the LCP series, but I'm suspecting those might be a bit of a headache for elderly to operate since everything is literally have the size.

A low charge/low recoil 38sp rounds exist for a reason. As if the 38sp even recoiled to any measurable amount to begin with.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll talk it over if she'd prefer a longarm to a handgun. I know for a fact she's nostalgic for a lot of her fathers collection (never shot them, just admired) and would dig the idea of a classic .357/.38 revolver. Maybe an older S&W.

dont ask, tell. it will get you nowhere, since shes old, nevermind a woman, but you can at least tell yourself that you did the right thing.

Isn't she literally the target market for pic related?

Attached: 180023_01_lg[1].jpg (500x500, 18.42K)

Get your bubbe pic related. Nothing can compare to the reliability, handling, accuracy and power of genuine German engineering at its finest.

Attached: img_1436_5.jpg (1200x800, 114.79K)

Beretta 84/5 are probably not a good choice if she has arthritis. They're not the easiest pistol to rack the slide on. They are, however, one of the easiest .380s to shoot. I'd suggest looking into the Beretta 86 if you choose to pursue, as the 86 has the tip up barrel.

Tip-up Berreta or double action only revolver

Ohh the EZ shield. If I remember correctly that thing has nubs on the side of the slide to help with racking along with an easier spring.

Hi-point carbine. Sounds like she's too old to learn to shoot a pistol properly. Maybe her muscle memory remembers the feel of a rifle.

I would in fact suggest a .22LR revolver. They usually chambered for 8 rounds, are small, light, have virtually no recoil, and while they have fuckall firepower, you don't really need it in bulglary defense situation - you just want the fuckers off your property, they don't necessarily need to pay their lives for intrusion.

Check to make sure Grandma can pull a DA trigger without shooting the TV.

Magnum revolvers loaded with light special loads are great at recoil management but if hand strength is a problem it will show up in the trigger.

Last handgun class I was in there was a 60+ year old woman rocking a Glawk brand Glawk 19. She did well.

Buy her a Sig P238 with some Hornady 90 gr FTX Critical Defense and call it a day.

Daily reminder that for actual self defense AMMO is way more important than gun, proper penetration and proper expansion is what to look for.

luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

i hope you meant to add "within the same sub class of gun" to the end of that sentence

Attached: b51db1_6378309.jpg (850x601, 175.42K)

Obviously.

How about your protect your fucking grandmother and end the lives of those pieces of shit. What the fuck is wrong with you?

I appreciate the sentiment user but that's not exactly practical here. Besides, giving her a nice gun will help her deal with any future instances of enrichment, whereas user camping out at his grandma's until these two very specific thugs are dealt with will only solve the current problem.

Sure I'll just move in with my grandmother a town over and abandon everything I have here instead of giving her the independent ability to defend herself. What happens when I goto work and they try to break in, retard? Go fuck yourself.

I appreciate the input, especially about defensive ammo. When the snow starts clearing up I'll see if I can't bring her over for a range session.

Give her a .38 revolver. Small, easy to load,and grandma accessible. No need for her to struggle with the slide.

I really want to take a few days off and go Solid Snake on my local meth nests, but it's not worth going to jail over.

That's what I'm leaning towards now. Any brand recommendations?

If you live in a better neighborhood, consider moving her in with you

The new M&P .380 shield EZ or the walther CCP

Get her a semi auto shotgun with depowered 2 3/4" shells instead

More like Loser, germans used them in both wars, lost two, give her pic related instead.
Reliable, cheap, doesn't have overly complex safety mechanism, can be racked over a table, shoe, or any angled surface.

In a self defense situation?
someone post the sam hyde webm.

Attached: Tokarev-Pistol.jpg (600x600, 23.66K)

Yeah, good luck with it when you are 80 and have arthritis. And it have dumb half cock safety, it's service sidearm.

For a .38 revolver, that:
smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-crimson-trace
Or a Kimber K6 (pricier no laser but probably better built).
For ammo: .38 Spl Hornady Critical Defense 110 Grain FTX
It's not the lightest load of .38 but it's the best light/penetration/expansion ratio.

There are Kimbers with laser

It also uses a 10mm-tier fully locked breach, in a .380, so there is barely any spring tension needed at all

To actually deter the methheads, you're better off installing bars or something on her windows and getting beefier locks for her doors. Perhaps an alarm system.

Get her a .22lr to make her feel better and so you can plink with her. In the event of an actual break-in, she probably won't wake up in time, or she won't be able to see in the dark, or she'll miss. "not enough stoppin powah" will be the least of her concerns.

I've been thinking of getting a Thunder for concealed carry. To me, budget and size really mattered most of all. I want something that's small enough for me to always have on me without worry and isn't going to cost 500 bucks.

I feel a little silly using such a tiny gun as a bigger guy, but I really want something pushing toward 'pocket pistol' to make it as easy to carry as possible, and most of the 9mm ones that seem the right size cost a small fortune.

Here you go Strelok.

Attached: Self_Defense_Situation.mp4 (854x480, 2.61M)

.22 LR has better stopping power than you might think. Give this a read: buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

As you can clearly tell by looking at the data tables closely, the power rankings are roughly as follows:
.357 magnum > spraying dozens of rounds of .22 LR > 9mm = .45 > everything else
Clearly you need to buy her a Calico.

Attached: calico .22 pistol.jpg (700x525, 27.91K)

.32 Tomcat with cavitators.
The tip up barrel makes it easier for someone who has difficulty with racking a slide.
Recoil is very light, cavitators give it performance of a much meatier caliber.

Attached: IMG_0955a_zpsqctms3eh.jpg (1250x702 31.83 KB, 320.4K)

How does it compare in price to beretta barrel tippers? I had one a long time ago and looking back it was the best pistol I ever owned.

y does your grandmother liv alone?
what if she falls and breaks a hip while away from a phone, she just dies?

I found one practically pristine at a strip mall gun shop with 3 magazines, I paid a bit over 300 leaning toward 400 if I recall.
I'm not entirely sure it was really fired much at all, possibly was given to someone who kept it in a drawer and never used it.
A few of my friends tell me it was a surprisingly good deal for one, so I'm guessing they average a bit higher, a lot of Berettas I see are a bit pricey unless part of a police surplus.

Possibly, if it's firing nitro express.
Only if it's breech loaded.
Just kill yourself, my good man. His grandma needs to use god's gift to the USA. The Colt .45 saved your ancestors from Communistic jackals and Fascistic vultures, just so they could destroy your birthright in a sandbox for God's chosen people.

Attached: fudd meme.png (500x633, 163.54K)

You can't go wrong with a .22mag revolver. I have both a Taurus PT111 G2 and a Bersa Thunder 380. The G2 is a better firearm than the Thunder. They're both about the same weight loaded, about the same length and height. But the G2 is a bit wider. The 9mm ammo is cheaper and the PT111 G2 feels better when shooting it. Bersa does make some pretty good firearms but unless you're buying them used there are better options for the price. My grandmother has a S&W .38 spl for her house that she likes and can handle so if that's something your grandma can handle I'ld suggest that. Good luck user.

To me, aesthetics are the last priority among concealed carry firearms. I could give a rats ass. I used to teach at a very liberal university back in graduate school that vilified carry on campus here in Texas, but I carried a slim bodyguard 380 all the time because I'm not taking any chances with those freaks.

I ended up getting a cool "wallet" for it too that broke up the print of the gun into a square. I don't think anyone ever knew. That was for two years.

I freaking hated the 238 all to hell. I sold it first chance and bought a 320. 1911 carry guns should have died in the fifties.

Attached: 1ad.png (361x333, 92.97K)