Bluing v. Parkerizing

Hot bluing or parkerizing? Which one is easier to do? What are the pros and cons of each one? Which do you prefer and why?

webm unrelated

Attached: Positronic_Pimp.webm (480x360, 7.88M)

S T A I N L E S S. S T E E L.

I knew some faggot would say that. Congratulations, it was you.

Attached: weebm_related,_it's_you.webm (480x480, 333.02K)

Parkerizing and painting.

Attached: IMG_0017.jpg (1000x667, 140.95K)

LOL what did stainless steel ever do to you faggot?

Oh the irony

You're a special kind of retard, aren't you?

Nowadays, nitriding is easier to do and more effective than either. But between those two I'd choose bluing, it's much purdier.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (800x524, 628.87K)

It's all naked and shiny. Fuck that.

Can nitriding be done by the home gunsmith?

Your gun is dusty strelok go clean it.

Well shit. I'll keep that in mind.

It's pic from web.

Bumping. This kind of question seems more important lately.

Difficulty wise they're about the same. Parkerizing can flake off leaving a gun exposed where as bluing generally will patina itself before it wears away.

My understanding is that parkerized is more durable and the more matte finish is tacticool, but that bluing looks prettier.

Get ionbond and have a slick as fuck finish and forget about rust forever.
Or cerakoting if you're a cheap lazy bastard.

Bluing and parkerizing are for fudds.

You again? Why don't you choke yourself to death since oxygen isn't new and tactical?

Keep up, grandpa.

If you're doing it at home you should use cerakote. Both of those methods are terrible for DIY.

What's the problem with home parkerizing? I mean I couldn't imagine doing proper hot bluing without a professional setup, but I've been looking into doing some small scale parkerizing and from what I've seen on youtube you can get good results.

The hot bluing process is similar to parkerizing, practically speaking. Bluing needs to be hotter, and the chemicals are different, but you basically degrease, cook, and rinse for both.

You're forgetting the most important thing in bluing, the metal prep. Also the fact that 295 degree caustic salts are a slightly different animal from lightly boiling phosphoric solution.

What about rust bluing? It requires very little in the way of equipment and produces good results.

Attached: 1907_zps375bd03d.jpg (720x683, 101.38K)

The metal prep is similar. You completely remove the old finish, then for parkerizing you leave it slightly rough. When bluing you can polish it as finely as you want. Lightly boiling acid is not all that different than boiling caustic. Either one can fuck you up, but I will admit I worry less about the acid. I'm not going to pretend I've done either bluing or parkerizing, but I am a chemist and I work with conentrated acids and bases and other hazardous materials on a daily basis. I've been reading up on both processes, and would feel equally comfortable attempting either one.

rust bluing is actually great. mfgs don't use it because it's time/labor intensive, so it's great for personal projects.

nickle plating is nice too, unless that look wouldn't work well with whatever look you're going for.

from what i understand, parkerizing is easier and more effective, but bluing has a way way better aesthetic. so again, it depends on what you want out of it. i'd chrome or nickle plate a DA revolver, blue a SA revolver or a really nice 1911. but honestly anything where aesthetics is less important, i'd skip the parkerizing and do something

Why not gold plated?

Attached: Gold-AK-47-091.jpg (1200x450, 350.58K)

It's flashy and gaudy and not tacticool.