Questionable or outright useless projects

US Army Developing a ‘Third Arm’ For Soldiers
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/09/us-army-developing-third-arm-soldiers/
archive.is/bS5jB

GLORY TO THE MACHINE GOD!

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/war-is-boring/this-funny-contraption-could-make-life-easier-for-australian-machine-gunners-434107755758
range365.com/third-arm-for-us-soldiers#page-3
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/14/general-atomics-awarded-army-contract-to-advance-railgun-weapon-system-technology/
archive.is/2059S
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's an interesting idea that I'm fairly sure was floating around on Zig Forums last year. Have they gotten the stabilisation good enough to keep the weapon stable while you run?

Didn't Australia already try this with an overhead winch thing?

medium.com/war-is-boring/this-funny-contraption-could-make-life-easier-for-australian-machine-gunners-434107755758
Yes

Video not buffering. Is this that third arm that stabilizes the gun for hip fire? It seems pretty useful actually, it's just no tactical in an urban environment.

Baby, I already have a third arm.

This is olds.
The Emus did it first: >>559852
The thing is, that it may free a hand to do something, but do what? Tie your shoe laces?
You won't ever shoot your LMG/MMG on the move or without proper support, and when you put down your gun to get some support you already have your hands free to do reloads or use other equipment. The arm will only get in the way when moving through thicket, when entering/leaving vehicles, in buildings, or when crawling around on the ground. On top of that, all the time you don't use it it is dead weight, which means 80% it's just a piece of metal that hangs on your chest.
And holy shit just look at it. It goes straight in front of your chest. How on earth are you even going to use your rifle with that piece of shit in front of your chest, constantly in the way, clacking against your gear and making noise.
You would get more out of it as a paper weight, even though it's probably not even good for that.

Attached: a1f006148a6de9eae73a5ebd784c96cce9908543.jpg (660x608, 61.87K)

Attached: nige don't care.jpg (620x387, 12.63K)

Attached: Illustration_of_USS_John_F._Kennedy_(CVN-79)_(110623-N-ZZ999-203).jpg (1024x684, 404.29K)

I see nothing wrong with this.

Hahaha, benis.

Attached: 1_lu9XekzZcXH68oLvcC3ehQ.jpeg (1181x787, 189.91K)

I've got something super new and tactical that will do the same job and I'll only charge the DoD $2500 per unit.

Attached: neverbeendonebefore.jpg (880x660, 43.95K)

Whoa, slow down. I know America's military budget is insane, but do you think we're ready to mass produce something like that? I mean, the F-35 is still met with doubt by the public, so what hope do you think that thing has? Maybe with sufficient R&D, we'll see stuff like that in 10-20 years from now, but like "stealth" jets that can't be detected by 50 year old SAMs, it's just a pipe dream for now.

Attached: What.jpg (500x549, 71.81K)

It's an M4, one of the lightest rifle on the planet, the fuck do you need a third arm for?

Yeah but the "arm" weighs a non zero amount so you just tripled the weight of the rifle being absorbed by the soldiers back. On top of the spine crunching 80-130lb they carry routinely.

Pic related troops in 2020.

Attached: Kylo-Ren-Shirtless.jpg (601x615, 69.61K)

I swear, if the internet were a thing back during the turn of the century you fucking retards would be slobbering all over the Tsar tank for being an unstoppable Russian super weapon. Which does drag into why the hell a collapsing empire would waste all that time and money to build a literal weaponized windup toy.

Attached: Tsar_tank-04.jpg (950x543, 56.72K)

Why not have two arms to double the amount of bullet you can send downrange?

Here's another article on it. Vid is different topic.

range365.com/third-arm-for-us-soldiers#page-3

Nobody even mentioned Russia there you sperg.

I'm surprised the faggot doesn't have full sleeve tattoos as well. Fucking stupid James Yeager retards.

Another day, another project.

US Army Awards General Atomics a Contract to Develop Railguns

thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/14/general-atomics-awarded-army-contract-to-advance-railgun-weapon-system-technology/
archive.is/2059S

Unfortunately I currently don't have access to my cheristed collection of files, therefore I can't upload that report on CLGG development.

huh

So either a few people very high up in numerous companies and more than a few governments have a severe electromagnetism fetish, or some engineers realised that this was the most efficient way to convert defence spending into academic funding.

women

Projects that don't initially appear to have practical value are how technological breakthroughs happen. Your thinking is very myopic, even if what you're saying about this product is correct. Lessons learned from messing around with hinged metal arms rigidly attached to your back could later be applied to something like a robotic manipulator that folds behind you when you don't need it to stabilize the weapon. Or an arm made of a material that can become flexible and press against your body when you need to lie down or move through a tight space. Materials science is developing very fast and things like that are at least working in a lab environment.

Also have you considered the possibility that personal weapon stabilization might result in such a paradigm shift in small arms that it more than makes up for the liability the system imposes when trying to move through a thicket or crawl around? If you're hitting half your shots instead of two percent of them you're not going to need to fight in such a passive way.

Give us some examples, because all the major engineering breakthroughs that came to mind are the result of projects that did appear to have practical value. What you've said might be true for scientific breakthtroughs, but science and engineering work very differently. Also, this project clearly has a goal, that goal just happens to be retarded.
That you say these things means even you understand that the concept in its current form is flawed and needs an even more complicated contraception to work.
I'm rather sure that the folding arm is not a question of material science, but of robotics. In other words, the arm will have to be even more complicated and expensive.
If you are hitting half of your shots then the enemy has no cover available. For that to happen you need both a rifle that can penetrate 99% of cover on a battlefield, and some kind of a sensor suite or a network that can detect enemy soldiers hiding behind cover. Without those two you will have suppress the enemy with your own fire.

The hype for these things is ridiculous, it is everywhere. People aren't seeing the flaws.

Same as lasers back during Reagan.

I wouldn't consider this to be an engineering problem. It's industrial design and human interaction. We already know how to manufacture a robotic arm. Now we have to find a way to make it biomechanically functional. The only way to do that is trial and error with lots of retarded and unfeasible prototypes.
Complexity by itself doesn't preclude battlefield value at all. Vehicles and weapons have only grown more complex as time goes on, because the benefits of complexity sometimes outweigh the drawbacks (self loading weapons, electronic optics/FCS, etc.). Robotic manipulators are incredibly durable and reliable and are used in some of the harshest industrial conditions despite the internal complexity, their adoption would end up being a question of economics which means when, not if. If you showed a ground panoramic night vision goggle to a crusader or something they'd tell you it would never be feasible, that it's too complicated and expensive. Which is bullshit, whatever we consider complex now is going to become practically disposable in our lifetimes.

I'm still not saying OP's arm thing is the future. Just that that kind of experimentation should be encouraged. Not like this project costs much at all.