Lathe restoration

Got my waifu today, do you Zig Forumsunts want to come along for the ride as I restore her from a abused whore to true waifu material again?
If so I'll post an update a day ITT on our progress for the next couple of weeks.

Attached: 20180321_190303.jpg (4128x2322 4.05 MB, 3.91M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lathes.co.uk/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_cannon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes! What Zig Forums related things will you be doing with it?

rifle your penis

Get your screencap tools ready, this is going to be a good one.

do it you lucky piece of shit. i want a lathe pretty damn badly so i can most certainly not manufacture fun parts.

My request once restored is to make a slightly curved bat and name it the "Aborigi-nigger Zig Forumsnocker"

What does into 'restoring' a piece of machine tooling, aside from the usual 'clean, lube, inspect, make sure everything works mechanically'?

replace anything that doesnt work mechanically

Fuck yes. If anyone has any manuals on using a lathe in the meantime, post 'em.

lathes.co.uk/

I'm thinking more along the lines of 'make sure all the precision ground surfaces are flat and true, take a stone to any high spots' and so forth.

Nah. These machines are built to run nearly non-stop for years in machine shops. As long as there is nothing in the gears and all spring-loaded levers are working (replace the springs if they aren't) they should work fine.
Grease, grease and grease again. Make sure to use heat resistant grease for the gears though, since they will run hot after some time.
Also: put a lock on the power switch if you have children. These machines can kill.

I'd have to disagree. You want to check the lathe bed for flatness on a used lathe. Sure they're made to work non-stop. Doesn't mean they don't receive wear while doing such. Luckily once the deficiency has been identified it can be fixed. If the wear on your bed is uneven or your bed is twisted/warped for whatever reason your headstock and tailstock aren't going to line up properly. That's bad news if you need precision.

Remember to anoint the machine with sacred tactical holy oils during your restoration. The machine spirit will not be pleased unless you do and it will never work.

Praise the Omnissiah.

Cum on her
Oh, and congratulations.

That is a very nice lathe. Now you need a mill.

I've really had my eye on a decent mill for a while now. You can do alot more Zig Forums stuff with a mill.

Lathes are of limited use, unless you buy/make some sort of a rifling attachment, I'll admit I've not looked into such things. But custom rifled barrels can open up all sort of fun things.

Bullshit. You realize the earliest rifled barrels were done on a lathe with a two sided boring bar, right?

Congrats, OP. Walk us through it and any hypothetical projects you have. Remember to add the hypothetical before you say anything though.

fucking plebs over here.
but seriously that thing looks to be in better shape than the Spanish heap I have at work

A lathe with some extra tools can do a lot of what a mill does. A mill (specially one within the price range for individuals) is much more limited.
I'm fairly confident that you could make a good barrel with seamless capillary tubes that got properly straighten out. Not very expensive and can be found on 4140 steel. Get one with the appropriate ID for your land and button rifle it. This tubes are use on precision measuring machines, tolerances can be very good.

Some of the shit at my company that turned 100 last year is at least 50 years old, with a roschler and eichler vertical mill being a highlight. The drill press I worked on today dates back to march 1974
Hint: Every cunt in the history of ever wants our vices

Day 2

Not a whole lot to report on today, a mate came around and we got her inside her new home with a crowbar and a lot of effort.
Tomorrow I'll be hunting down a VFD to get this 3 phase motor plugged into my single phase shed no need for safety lectures I'm a sparky.

It should mean scraping and lapping the ways but I'm not confident enough to touch that yet, for now it'll be a general clean and fixing replacing anything that needs it. I might try shimming the slides to reduce backlash but we'll have to see.

I know but don't tell my gf, I want it to be a surprise.

Dawn?

Attached: 20180322_182556.jpg (4128x2322 2.93 MB, 2.83M)

yes

Man the one lathes at my shop used to run off of a belt from a steam engine. Damned if I know where it came from though.

Bitches love mills.

Neat

Day 3

Got stuck doing my day job today, the good news is Toyota is selling all their equipment after shutting down Australian production tomorrow so I might have some tooling soon.

Attached: 20180323_163211.jpg (4128x2322 5.06 MB, 5.77M)

bump
i want one so much (t-to make baseball bats, not fun parts i swear)

Wood lathes and Metal lathes are two different tools. If you can make a gun from wood I'd be impressed you huehue.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_cannon

I'm willing to bet if you had dense enough and with enough cross fibers you could make a decent enough BP gun.

I meant something not used by gypsies romanians and a bit more than a log with a hole bored and banded with iron.

Something tells me that is a recipe for face removal none the less.

If it could be done it would have been. Best I've seen is a wooden lower for an AR-15 and that only lasted two or three shots.

Why anyone would bother with alternative materials is beyond me when even in my cucked country I can get 4440 steel over the counter.

Shits and giggles.

(i was thinking of making stocks but thank you for the idea)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (720x460, 483.16K)

Filter if this doesn't concern you.

Cannot upload more than one at a time.
I have many more on CNC EDM ask if you want em.

Lol @ some of you guys comparing mills and lathes like theyre made to do the same processes. Some of you should learn just to keep your cock holsters shut.

Yo, what's the next update?

U fukkin wot m80?

Attached: serveimage.jpeg (1024x768 52.72 KB, 539.61K)

Fuckin faggot, next you're going to say you can't use a mill as a horizontal drill press

Motor is rated for 400v Delta so I'm trying to source of motor to suit, could be a couple of weeks until I have more news sadly.

Attached: 20180326_103933.jpg (4128x2322, 4.61M)

I'll 'ook you right inna' gabba', sware on me mum.

Can't you dig a three-phase motor out of the garbage and gypsy-rig it as a rotary converter?

Rotary converters are inefficient, expensive and lack fine motor control. I would rather replace one motor and buy a VFD than buy 2 motors that use more power and lack fine control.