Viability of a straight blowback assault rifle

Well Zig Forums, is such a design viable or practically doable?

Attached: Ribeyrolle1918.jpg (800x225, 16.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/09/9-prototype-soviet-assault-rifles-wwii/
luft46.com/armament/mk108.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAHAN_(firearm)
orions-hammer.com/blowback/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The VG-51 was a blow back gas delayed assault rifle chambered in 8mm Kurz. Whether it was safe overtime is debatable as it was just to arm anyone capable of holding a rifle. I’m sure there are other designs as well but that’s the only one off the top of my head.

Attached: D2CED31A-6EE3-46CC-B23D-991A228E54A4.jpeg (1200x506, 250.08K)

>I'm a retard who doesn't know what the last long arm H&K ever made that was any good was, the FAMAS

Attached: HK33.jpg (1280x854, 674.79K)

No. Unless the cartridge is so watered down to render the term meaningless, you need some kind of delaying mechanism at the bare minimum. I mean even .30 carbine and 9x25 Mauser needed a locked breech or a delaying mechanism out of rifles.

thats my problem, the VG-51 is for all intensive purposes straight blowback but is in 8mm kurz. And there is my problem. If I try to draw up plans for a straight blowback assault rifle I have to use cartridges like that or .220 Russian,.30 Carbine, etc. Although Shpagin tried a 762x39 straight blowback assault rifle and it worked, albeit unpleasant.
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/09/9-prototype-soviet-assault-rifles-wwii/

I've seen a 1907 rechambered in .30 Carbine and given .351 is a far nasty round it should be doable.

I think the chamber pressures preclude it without some massive changes in material sciences, and even then the recoil would be extremely unpleasant.

Isnt the famas lever delayed?

smdh

The MK 108 autocannon was a 30 mm open-bolt straight blowback weapon, and it worked well enough.
luft46.com/armament/mk108.html

A handheld weapon using non-specialized ammunition can overcome the weight issue with a more powerful spring, with a bolt-action option for manual cycling.

Attached: mk108-b.jpg (700x466, 55.54K)

It is but technically it's straight blowback, lever delay is exactly what it sounds, it slow down the blowback that's all.

The WSL was always plagued with reliability issues, cycling and extraction. That's pretty much the standard story for any rifle caliber straight blowback firearm. Time and time again designs showed that even the slightest delaying mechanism drastically increased reliability.

Maybe there's a language issue, but straight blowback and delayed blowback are not interchangeable over here. Straight blowback means there is nothing keeping the bolt from opening but the recoil spring, while delayed means literally anything (Lever, Wedge, Roller, Flapper, flat spring on the side of the frame, etc) that the bolt has to overcome other than the recoil spring, while still not having a locked breech.

I guess you too are thinking of vid related. A problem is that instead of a mechanism to bypass the main spring you could make it level delayed or (short or long) recoil operated, all without really increasing the complexity.

Also, something crossed my mind: what if instead of a recoil spring you used a hydro-pneumatic recoil system? I mean, at that point it really is a lot more complicated that a lever delayed firearm, but if we are being silly, then we should fully invest in silliness.

Didn't the Armenians make a straight blowback kalashnikov? It worked fine, jammed a bit more but not as much as many other guns.

Go to bed hungry ian, we won't click on your video's.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAHAN_(firearm)
It too is lever delayed.

56%

non-sequitur

Mk 108 is advanced primer ignition blowback. It has many similarities with straight blowback but they are not the same. Also ballisticaly speaking 30×90RB ammo is "pistol magnum" power level.

Attached: 30mm_ammo.JPG (950x713, 192.45K)

Does using a stupidly heavy bolt not work?

The one thing about WSL's is generally the reliability comes from modern ammo not being to spec and the buffer being absolutely trashed from heavier use. There is no argument from me on the delaying of the blowback on increasing reliability.

Can straight blowback do 357 magnum or 44-40 (more likely an equivalent cartridge without a rim)? Those are the low end of intermediate out of a long gun.

It works, but then your rifle is also stupidly heavy.

Attached: ork shoota found in brazil.jpg (697x524, 136.87K)

I want to see that fucker firing. I'm curious as to the cyclic rate.

orions-hammer.com/blowback/

You'd need about a 7 lb bolt for that to work without any sort of delay system.

I've tried hesitation lock with rollers and the bolt ended up being too long when unlocked to be practical. Tilting bolt or tilting block hesitation lock works well but needs a good hard shoulder to lock against or it will start to warp after only a couple hundred rounds.

Roller delayed systems and lever delayed systems also work well but the surfaces in roller systems need to be cut just right. Both delayed systems require fluted chambers for easy extractions, otherwise cases will rip.

Recoil operated systems are an option that is seldom explored with rifles, but they do eliminate the need for a gas system.

doesn't the bolt weight like 40 pounds?

>FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES
FTFY.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I mean, it's possible, but like said and displayed it will need a heavy bolt. The design would be vastly helped with an oversized pistol slide similar to the Volkssturmgewehr seen here

ikr, it's like those "could care less" fags, raping the English language

For the amount of effort you would need to make a blowback 65kpsi gun not shit, you would be better off just using a gas piston.

Every open-bolt straight blowback weapon has advanced primer ignition.

I've always wondered whether the delay could be introduced like one of those galileo toys, where you have a number of metal balls suspended by string and when you knock the one on one end it transfers its momentum to the ball at the other end without moving the rest.

The gun would fire and the unlock weight would be knocked rearwards against spring pressure and hit a stop, which would unlock the bolt and give it a bit of a shove in case remaining pressure is not enough to drive the bolt backwards hard enough.
think captured hammer for removing bolts and whatnot.

benefits would of course be no gas system needed, fairly easy to get very quiet, adjustable rate of fire by changing the distance the unlock weight has to move before it reaches the unlock point and main bolt momentum gets increased.

This is very common and very wrong misconception.

Funny thing is that pressure has noting to do with possibility of making straight blowback gun.

As you can see pressure is not in the formula but there are less obvious things as caliber and DIAMETER OF BOLT FACE. BTW this means that for making maximum power straight blowback guns your don't want bottle cases your want straight cases.

You're thinking of Newton's cradle. The problem is, what's driving the first weight back? With no gas system it would have to be the cartridge casing, and the problem you run into with straight blowback firearms is that for more powerful cartridges the casing moves rearward too quickly resulting in it rupturing as it leaves the support of the chamber walls.

Your weight idea would transfer the energy to the part it hits, but I'm not sure if it would actually accomplish anything. If you can find a way to leave the casing in the chamber while the first weight moves it would be a step in the right direction.

Would it somehow be possible to use gyroscopes, or even better, FUCKING MAGNETS, to delay the bolt without adding weight?

Attached: I am a genius!.png (1280x720, 843.08K)

No idea on gyros, but magnets have been tried and failed. You're just not getting a strong enough magnet in a hand-held weapon.

Even assuming these memes worked, what would they do that rollers don't?

irregardless of whether all his purposes were very intensive?

Don't misunderestimate him in a doggydog world.

When were magnets tried, also did they use rare earth magets like we have now or just iron ones

mor dakka

That looks like something out of Armored Core.

I just watched this video with ads enabled on Full30 just to spite you.