LEAD THREAD

ITT we discuss lead contamination and poisoning
we have rarely, if ever, discussed the dangers of lead poisoning, and this being a weapons board it seems of the utmost importance to be educated on the dangers and preventative measures of lead
some discussion points are:

Attached: toxic.jpg (300x300, 17.82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/page/visitors_soldiers_children_exposed_to_lead_dust_in_armories.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is a massive meme.
You know how they identify the bullets fired in the civil war, and know which side fired them?
They weigh them. The rounds have lost little to no matter to erosion, which means that the soil on your shooting range won't poison your water for the next couple hundred years at least.
Still, I like the idea of this thread.

The main killer when it comes to lead are the fumes. Lead already has a low melting point, when mixed in an alloy (which requires a lot hotter temperatures) it will oftentimes evaporate. The fumes then enter your system through your lungs and poison you.
Most of the time touching lead is not the issue. Breathing in dust from filing/milling it, or rubbing lead sawrfs into wounds is also not healthy.
Orally ingesting the dust can also occur when not washing your hands after working with lead dust.
Just wear a simple mask, or tie a bandana around your nose/mouth, wash your hands after working, and generally keep a clean working environment. Other than that: there is literally 0 chance of getting lead poisoning.
Unless of course the joke went over my head again and this is all about the bullet in your brain kind of "lead poisoning".
Sage because /thread.

Not to veer off, but what gasses are release when gunpowder ignites? I've been to a few indoor ranges that tend to get very smoky.

Attached: 1521822431588.jpg (640x480, 50.01K)

Lead caster here. The most important thing you can do for your health is buy a good gas-mask e.g 3m and have organic vapour filters on it. Lead is too big to get through unbroken skin, it's when it's vapourized or ingested or put into a fine powder that it's a threat (hence why you wear the mask) and the antimony and arsenic in wheelweights can be negated by buying a large carbon filter, fan and aluminium ducting and running it while casting. Wash your hands after every single time you touch lead with de-greasing soap, like what the mechanics use. And for gods sake wear welders gloves, a pair of safety glasses with side visors, a leather apron, and steel capped leather boots, you are working with something that melts at 330 degrees. I have had several burns from a steam explosion by putting a wet dipper too quickly under the lead- don't do that.

Otherwise, provided you are not a retard with safety, you can save a lot of money and have a lot of fun casting bullets.in general, the best casting temp for lead is around 360- 390 degrees with wheel-weight + stick on weight + roll of solder alloys, and for dippers you should be fluxing with tallow or wax plus paper. The best thing you can use for this is greasy paper take-out boxes like the ones from kfc. If for whatever reason you get zinc in your pot you can use elemental sulphur to extract it. Keep your mold's contact surfaces lubricated with 2 stroke motor oil, but do not let it get in the bullet cavities- cast a bullet first, then use a cotton bud to lubricate the mold. If the bullets are sticky, put some wax or lard on top of the closed, empty, hot cavity and let it work its way through the mold.

Tl;dr: Lead won't kill you provided you are not a retard.

It's a natural mineral. Even if you get sick from it just take small amounts over time to gain a resistance to it. Post your lead, pic related is my collection of over 18 pounds

Attached: IMG_0187.JPG (3456x2592, 1.89M)

Do not shoot at indoor ranges ever

It isn't the lead from the freedom seed that poisons you, its older primers that have lead styphnate that will, but it isn't enough to get you unless you're in an indoor range with a very poorly maintained ventilation system.

Only if they actually give a shit about their ventilation.

Speaking about Lead…

oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/page/visitors_soldiers_children_exposed_to_lead_dust_in_armories.html

WTF

BAN ASSAULT DUST

Like shooting yourself with .22s ti give an immunity to larger bullets?

Or consuming small portions of arsenic with your dinner to help you live longer.

Treties of the Hague convention Section 2, Chapter 1, article 22 and 23 a; Quote:

Lead dust is already prohibited.

I wash my hands when I'm done shooting. Some ranges have a fountain with specialized soap that you can use. I always clean my gun after every visit to the range. I don't bring things with exposed lead indoors. If you're shooting in a range, there should be good ventilation. If you're shooting outside, shoot where the wind is headed. I don't care much about lead exposure. If you're pregnant then it might be a concern. The type of lead exposure I care about comes from Tyrone and Julio.

if you took it off, would you die?

>Unless of course the joke went over my head again and this is all about the bullet in your brain kind of "lead poisoning" nah there is no joke, just a simple discussion about health and safety regarding lead; see

its like they want to die

Out.

Attached: cd67cfe2e62d3cae1d369affe785dd60bb01470c11e12fc3e7b38bdc09c40215.gif (363x302, 237.39K)

i assume it would be extremely painful

sounds like he's a pretty big guy

:)

for you…

The really insidious heavy metal is bismuth. It's so non toxic that it wraps around backwards and becomes toxic.

Attached: 015 ghandi.png (320x200, 25.48K)

Lead toxicity is something that has been overblown for a decent amount of time.

Unless you work in a smelter or live in a major city where they still use leaded fuel you'll be fine.

Handling Lead, however, is pretty much safe.

Shoot outdoors and don't worry about it. Even then, the only people I have ever heard of actually getting lead poisoning from shooting related events were employees that staffed an indoor range that had literally not been swept in years and head lead dust caked to the floor.

Except this one actually will build resistance.

Who ever would have thought armories, some more than 100 years old, could have potentially had lead particulate in them, oh, the fucking humanity. The prunie, old bitch with the "I own 400 cats, drive a Prius, and would take Bernie's sriveled cock up my commie loving ass" looking face is a nice touch though. How the fuck can they even generate that much fucking wordage over something so minute as lead contaminate in fucking armories, you'd think it was over the DoD adding nuclear waste into Gerber baby food before package for fuck sake.

Well, working with lead solder has taught me that lead poisoning is a meme, and you only have to worry about the fumes from molten lead, or if you work with lead for 10+ years in the lead industry and pretty much inhale the shit. There's guys who've been working with lead for 30-50 years, and I mean head over the fucking fumes and putting their hands inches away from the molten stuff on an hourly basis, and none of them seem to have any issues other than the one guy having an autistic son, but that's because his wife and him started having kids when she was in her 30s. Asians and old white people really don't give a rat's ass about lead. I get water-soluble and non-water-soluble lead paste on my fingers when stenciling circuit boards occasionally and obviously you shouldn't lick the shit off your fingers no matter how good it smells, but a little rubbing alcohol for no-clean or just warm water and letting the fish deal with it for water-soluble is all you need to clean it off, maybe some gentle hand conditioner if you're a faggot.

For common lead applications, just wear gloves and wash your hands/dry with a clean towel afterwards.

Attached: finger_lickin_good.jpg (1000x1000, 107.8K)

Also this. Babies are a lot more susceptible to poisoning than kids or adults, so being pregnant is one of the few times where it's reasonable to be worried about lead past ventilation/gloves.

Never smelled lead. What is the closest smell?

Attached: normie_meme_turned_around.png (850x1318, 909.64K)

Stop posting these normalfag memes and end your miserable existence you fucking faggot.

Attached: kys.png (480x550, 287.91K)

dammit I knew this was going to happen fuck
Actually, THIS is the actual image. On /2hu/, we were observing AIDS and happened to come across this trash. So, someone edited it.
Spoilered to prevent the spreading of faggotry and AIDS to the eyes.

Attached: A FUCKING NIGGER.jpg (1321x2048, 205.05K)

Attached: maximum gay.png (439x401, 55.25K)

You take that back, you fiend.

Attached: bismuth crystal1.png (544x410, 528.67K)

Take a step back and look at your life so far.
Somewhere you went wrong.

Attached: Copper_Roof_Dresden_20070114.JPG (1640x1227 357.58 KB, 586.25K)

That dome may be a looker right now, but she'll age like milk. Bismuth-tan is pure.

Attached: copper patina.jpg (450x600, 45.28K)

The only good commie is a dead one.

Attached: Nordische_Botschaften_Berlin_1.jpg (3249x8048 484.19 KB, 6.47M)

The way I understand it, lead exposure for firearms users is of minimal concern if you have basic hygiene and don't do tons of shooting in an unventilated indoor space.

Lead exposure in children is a concern, it can make them slow.

Wear gloves when you clean your stuff.
Don't eat yer boolits.
Don't wash fabric items that you use for cleaning along with your clothes in the washing machine.
Wash your hands after handling stuff, cleaning your firearms, reloading cartridges etc.

Seems simple enough.

If the mouldy old patina was what you were after from the start, you wouldn't have posted that nice shiny roof. Face it, you only get a few years of fun out of copper before she hits the wall. After that, you may as well have just chucked a bucket of green paint everywhere.

If you'd said bronze instead of copper, I could at least have respected your opinion​ but you'd still be wrong. :^)

Attached: bismuth crystal2.jpg (320x320, 44.29K)

>muh rainbow flag metal
Bismuth has no significant economical use. Copper on the other hand is literally an indicator of the world's economic status. The more copper is used per year, the more the economy grew.
Copper is used in arts, architecture, engineering, chemistry, physics and pretty much anywhere else. You couldn't even post on this Siamese Cat petting board without copper.
Copper can be used pure or in alloys. It's literally one of the most important materials on earth.
Take your plebeian shitmuth out of here, and come back once you find a material that better suits your needs, like cotton to pad your retard-helmet with.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1094x949 1.4 MB, 657.55K)

Now what?

Attached: fghgfh.png (901x581, 1.24M)

Phew, that was a close one. I thought you were going to gas me for a minute there, Hans. Glad you understand.

Attached: snake_towel.jpeg (500x500, 115.83K)

Really makes you think

Fuck off TheYankeeMarshal, nobody believes in your full polymer bullet meme

Attached: Delet this.png (341x470, 408.85K)

You're both fags, pic related is best element-tan. She might seem cold and rigid to everyone else but get her warmed up just right and she'll be like putty in your hands.

Attached: Gallium.jpg (500x500, 100.86K)

>literally only used in semi conductors and in jewelery
Copper all day erry day.

nigger what are you talking about?
i just dont want to go blind and have my balls fall off from lead poisoning
no reference was made to the +/- of lead or polymer, the discussion was "lead poisioning and contamination" not "heres why lead is shit and plastic is best"
but for discussions sake, polymer anything is trash