Carrier Thread

Just ordered my first set of plates.
Premiere Body Armour Durus 10x12 with backplate.

I'm 5'11" around 140lbs with broad shoulders and I'd like to find one that fits well. I wore a medium in usmc, but it felt very bulky.

My budget is $250.

Also, general carrier thread.

Attached: bds.jpg (1200x1539, 192.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

varusteleka.com/en/product/british-osprey-body-armour-mtp-surplus/25987
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I can't speak too much on plate carriers, Uni student and poorfag I hate it here but what general setup are you going for? A carrier for the range or one that's intended for rucking with? From the looks of it you can get some extensions for the cost of a vest. You might be able to roll with a concealment carrier and a flc on top, I got the latter recently from a surplus store for $40 and it came with a few pouches and isn't really a strain on the shoulders, pic related

Attached: woodlandFlc.png (607x800, 425.69K)

You mean just plates, or carriers in general? I'm trying to un-fatass myself before I get a plate carrier, but I'm currently using a Condor harness with MOLLE and a few pouches for .308 mags and hiking gear.

Probably just at the range.
Buttt..
I'd like to have one if SHTF and have the ability to thrash on it, ruck comfortably, and shoot commies without worrying if it's going to break.

I like the idea of having a concealed carrier.
Just use a flc when I want to play soldier, but also having the ability to be armored without others knowing.

carriers, plates, lewds, whatever.

Attached: Durus.jpg (1500x1500, 196.33K)

How is the chink condor holding up?

The Beez carriers are looking like a great option.

Not too $$$ either.

Attached: conceal.jpg (361x556 36.46 KB, 125.28K)

A concealed carrier would probably not be very good in warmer weather due to layering, so plan accordingly for that. If it's going to be a range carrier most of the time buy one you'll use for the range and whatever accessories you think you'll use. If you're really concerned about SHTF it wouldn't be hard to switch out the molle setup for militia/innawoods oper8ing. I'd recommend checking out the prep thread here to figure out if you want to set up for that, but you mentioned munching on crayons in your MREs before so you probably have a good idea of what to go for.

Attached: dugan.jpg (1280x720, 122.63K)

Tasmanian Tiger offers a carrier that could be used on the outside or inside of clothing.

This seems like a great option if you wouldn't mind not having side plates.
Luckily, I do not want them.

A big concern of mine is if it will be able to tighten enough around the waist.

My issued carrier fit snug on my shoulders, but extremely bulky around my stomach.
As in I could fit a 2 liter in between my stomach and the carrier.
I couldn't ever get it tight enough.

Attached: tasmanian tiger.jpg (1200x1200, 62.53K)

Should I just get a slick carrier and slap either an alice harness, smersh harness, chicom rig or molle vest? Or should I buy a full on modern style molle carrier?

Gorilla tape and chicken wire fixes anything, Strelok
The pouches were someone else, so they're holding up.

In another thread a strelok mentioned that steel armor can send spall upwards and into the neck, and a different strelok seems to suggest that a properly designed plate carrier can mitigate this risk. Does anyone know anything about this?

Could always go used. MTP surplus is cheap and widespread, plus it can be mixed with multicam (which virtually everyone makes gear in). Unlike the rifles, there are no serious defects in British web gear or uniforms.
varusteleka.com/en/product/british-osprey-body-armour-mtp-surplus/25987
Varusteleka and MidwayUSA (for some reason Varusteleka doesn't have double mag pouches and Midway does) should cover most things you need to stick onto the vest.

Please tell me it was M81 Woodland or OCP, the UCP pattern FLC can be had for pennies.

Nope
It's the woodland one, the pic I posted is the same as I have

Raw steel will on the first strike, but any steel with a coating will mitigate any initial fragments. The videos you see on YT are of multiple, successive strikes and unless you plan to stand around after your plate has been struck, the chances of a successive strike are "nil". I own steel, just some the run of the mill AR500 rated at Level-III, but AR500.com has some ceramic rated at Level-VI for $116 per plate. So you could drop $128 on to Level-III steel plates or drop $232 on Level-IV ceramic plates. My advice, forgo a few Big Macs and get the ceramic.

Thank you. More than worth the $40.

Would you recommend going for a full set of woodland bdus to complete the 90's grunt loadout? Right now all I have is fudd camo like pic related.

Attached: fuddcamo.jpg (500x407, 99.77K)

Yes. Keeping it aesthetic and M81 is a decent camo compared to what is floating around these days.

Did you ever come to conclusion or are you still deciding?
What was your MOS?

Attached: yaSoldat.webm (640x360, 6.07M)

Still looking currently.

I'm thinking of a used LBT.
Egay has some going for under $300.

Attached: 114488.png (1920x1080 708.01 KB, 656.59K)

Also, if your carrier is properly made, it will have some kevlar in the pouch to help with spall and backface ejection.

That is a personal preference, not an industry standard.

NIJ standards are hilariously obsolete, your point?

No shit, are you here to just point out the obvious?
To help prevent retards from confusing other Strelok into thinking they need to invest in a specific vest lined with a built-in Kevlar liner to pay a premium for… when one could simply buy a decent, inexpensive Kevlar backing insert

Ah my mistake, carry on then.

Sorry, was putting personal preference ahead of fact. It is a good idea to have any plate either backed or wrapped in kevlar, if you are afraid of spall.

MOS was 3531
Motor T Oper8er

Former. You can always wear it under clothes when levels of diversity in your are are very high. If you need it to oper8 simply throw on a chest rig.

Attached: f18c51fb6fbcd99b382a599b5a8abd0cd885f4e5e1ee3b7011145822c1559244.gif (200x200, 2.9M)

Out of pure curiosity, what qualifies as body armor?

Gain some w8, m8

Seriously, 140 is borderline skeletal. Lift weights and drink milk. You can't rock a loadout if you snap in half under the strain.

Whaddya think of 5.11 plate carriers?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (640x480, 257.98K)

over priced, but great quality. the competition puts out just as good equipment for fraction of the cost, however. buying 5.11 is buying for the brand imo
if you can get it discounted, you're gold

I was thinking of up-armoring a motorcycle jacket with Hardox plates.
Thought it'd be subtle enough to do international travel with.
Thoughts?

Attached: biker5.jpg (564x465, 48.38K)

Being average sucks.

Motorcycle jackets are shit for movement, especially leather. Even the thinner ones take a year or so to break in and it'll still creak like a Spanish war galleon whenever you move your arms.

Watch out, if you don't have any trauma plates, you can still be killed

If you're going to invest the money, go with the Ferro Slickster or LBT 6094. If needs be they can be properly concealed, but offer the ability to use various accessories from a variety of suppliers.

There is a reason the military abandoned clothing based armor and went with external carriers and vests. The amount of Hardox you talking about here will add serious weight and further restrict your already heavily hampered movement. If you're serious about the intentional travel but, it'll set off mental detectors and be quickly confiscated. Even traveling internationally, your most likely to handgun threats, because of their concealable nature. Level-II or Level-IIIA would be sufficient in dealing with those threats, will also being MUCH lighter and more flexible than Hardox. Realistically, you probably better off carrying a simple, inexpensive backpack or briefcase ballistic insert. Hell, if you're dead set on stopping M80 Ball, some places sell an AR500 or ceramic pack insert that's Level-III rated.

This post isn't about plate carries, rather the MOLLE system…

I'm going walking through France in a few months. I've spotted a backpack that looks suitable and noticed it has the MOLLE system on the back and sides of the bag.

My question is, are there any MOLLE pouches that might come in useful for me? Say, being able to hold cans of soup or beer etc.?

Check bong military surplus especially the large and small utility pouches. Unlike a pouch that is meant for chest areas these guys are fuck huge while being durable as fuck. Another cool thing is that they also have a pull out sleeve that lets you cinch down to cover the contents from dirt.
pic related is the large pouch next to a Glock 17 and a nalgene bottle enjoy the potato quality

Attached: foto_no_exif.jpg (3264x1836, 1.31M)

I'll deffo pick up a couple utility pouches.
Are mag or grenade pouches any good? Because they are obviously very common and cheap.

There are two types of grenade pouches, one for regular thrown ones called the AP grenade pouch (wider) and the launched one which is just called grenade pouch (a bit thinner but about the same width and depth). Small items like a compass, match case, or headlamp/small flashlight (real small though) will fit pretty well in the AP pouch. The only real thing I could find a use for the launcher type is gauze or bandage like what you may find pictures of guys with the old alice harness having a small pouch on the shoulder area.
The mag pouches are basically the same as the large utility pouch minus the protective inner sleeve and are a bit thinner by one mag width (large utility pouch can fit 4 fatter poly AR mags comfortably while the ammo pouch can only fit 3 metal mags comfortably). As far as I know there are 2 types of mag pouch one with molle and one without but both are just as durable and thick as the utility pouches.

My "civilian" back pack has a water bottle holder attached to it. Found it on Amazon.