What are your thoughts on helical magazines? Tacticool magazine or a glorified pringles can?

What are your thoughts on helical magazines? Tacticool magazine or a glorified pringles can?

Attached: Nork2.png (497x604 141.13 KB, 28.36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/23/292945/
archive.is/vHPeT
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pros:
+ more bullets to shoot before reload
Cons:
- more weight, both to carry and to aim
Unknown:
* how prone to jamming?
* how easy to reload the mags?

Final verdict from me: tacticool. If you don't have a problem with drums (pic related), you shouldn't have a problem with helical IMHO.

Attached: 100rds.jpg (330x310, 19.56K)

Seconding the mapleman - they're generally cumbersome because it takes up more volume on your gear that could be taken up by multiple standard capacity mags. Shoving a fuckhuge tube of boolits or a pan in your rig, weight aside, will cause a lot of wear and tear on the fabric as you're running around and then you'll be less likely to wanna climb over a wall.
Russia tried a helical mag with the Bizon and it was apparently sketchy enough to warrant scrapping in exchange for stick mags.
Calico rifles and "pistols" also have a relatively poor reputation for functionality, and they run purely off of helical magazines.

They could probably work for top feeding LMGs but other then that I don't see any other way they could be batter then regular mags.

How the hell do you hold a gun with a helical mag? I'd imagine it would be pretty awkward either way.

Even if it functions perfectly, is it really a good idea mounting one on a rifle attached so far down the barrel like this? I imagine the CoM and your point of aim would shift drastically as you shoot more and more rounds, especially when firing it full auto.

By the magazine. It's uncertain as to how much it disturbs proper feeding, but it's probably not the most comfortable even if it didn't interfere.

I imagine accuracy is what the round count makes up for.

I could see trounds in helical magazines for vehicle mounted machine guns.

Helical mags are obviously going to be more efficient with shorter cartridges. If you are going to use trouds why not just use a non disintegrating 'fabric' belt made from polymer and a box to hold it?

Trounds, autocorrect since I'm phone posting cancer

Nice dubs
but why not use AGL trounds in a 50 round helical mag?

The reason why North Korean personal guard carry it is clear: Suppressive fire.

If the Deer Reader is ever fired on, his guard can basically continuously fire at the assassins, keeping them suppressed and unable to fire back while Deer Reader escapes. It's also useful for defending a place with a lot of corridors. Every single corner becomes a huge time waster for an invader, as long as the defender has bullets.

Mossad uses SMGs for a similar purpose, except at the opposite side. Once they complete the assassination by bomb, poison or bullet… the SMGs are used to provide cover fire and slow down the cops while the assassination team makes their escape.

That's the entire purpose behind high volume guns. Outside of these very specific niche uses, huge capacity magazines have very little use.

They're also kind of useful for hosing down a crowd, which is also potentially useful for Nork security personnel. The abomination used in vid related is also a good argument for why the magazine is happier on the bottom of the weapon.

I look at these massive tubes and all I can think of is how the fuck are you even supposed to hold your rifle at this point. That thing must weight at least 3kg, or even 5.
So you have a heavy tube hanging from your barrel and you're supposed to somehow hold your rifle from there and try to aim at anything ever. It's bigger than their hands' grip. How the fuck are you supposed to hold this thing effectively?

Attached: sunglasses-e1493298464689.jpg (1768x1318, 408.79K)

I think you’re supposed to spray and pray

Shut up and pay debts.

Attached: Judge Dredd intensifies.jpg (303x500, 40.68K)

user, they dont even have buttocks, they are meant for them to go prone instantly and use it like an LMG. That's my best guess.

They're top-folders.

I think he was talking about the weight of the magazine alone. Which looking at the fucking thing must weigh more than the entire rifle it self fully loaded probably feels like carrying an ammo can on the end of your rifle.

Fair point, but as it's issued to bodyguards and 'public security officers' it's not like they have to carry it around innawoods. It's a lot easier to hold something like that if you're just standing in place waiting for something to go down. Knowing that everyone even vaguely related to you will be executed if you drop it has to help as well.

It just seems like a stupid thing to have unless your entire purpose is to just spray as much lead into a crowd of people as fast as humanly possible. Because if they are supposed to take out single targets that are coming at them I would think it would be hard to aim with all the extra weight at the end of the rifle.

So it's perfect for the Norks. Or as a range toy.

I mean I guess.

hahaaha fuck no.

All that extra weight probably reduces recoil and muzzle climb.

I'm talking about the weight of the magazine user. It doesn't look practical at all.

Huh, why didn't I see that.

I completely agree, but as they're being issued to Nork security forces they're not intended to be practical or efficient, they're designed to produce a colossal amount of fire so that the security officer can bravely give their lives holding back the evil counterrevolutionary, American backed, terrorists while the Dear Leader (tm) nobly glorifies and humbly serves the people of Korea, by running for the nearest chopper

Attached: We are so grateful for the dear leaders generosity!.png (458x495, 447.44K)

Wouldn't it be smarter to have the helical magazine kept in the gun and transition to stick mags once it runs dry instead of carrying more of the shits? Doesn't look like it would be quick to reload with them.
Also what's the capacity on the things? Looking at the size of the magazine compared to the AK, I'm thinking something like 120.

Attached: 858ae481c31bc7499c98877634b4660607db959de379bf2c15899cfd3c1201d3.png (353x332, 69.38K)

The idea is to fire in the general direction of the threat to have a certain volume of fire at close range, ensuring VIP evacuation and hope whatever threat is too busy taking cover from the hundreds of bullets coming his way (or being turned into mincemeat), because a couple of guards watching the threat sector are gonna use the full ROF of the AK-74 to lay the maximum covering fire one can get from the platform, even if inaccurately.
It isn't more stupid than MP5K in briefcases or other shit you see high level bodyguards with.

It would. But it might be a photo of the guy carrying extras for the squad, on the few other photos with those rifles + mags outside parade they either have no extra mags (and lots of pistol mags) or 30 rounders.

Also it's not that large, it's a bit larger than the AK hand-guard but I can't seen why you would think you don't have a proper grip on it, besides the weight.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1000x658, 146.79K)

But why? You can efficiently use belt fed guns for vehicles so why use helical mags that you have to reload?

Attached: What happened.webm (426x240, 7.92M)

Oh my God is he okay?

Yes, the bullet just pierced the bag of red wine he kept in his neck, and the shock of that caused him to pass out.

Story?

Fucking winos man, what happened to the good old days when men were men and neck bags were full of whiskey and rum instead?

I think they're neat I'd love a bizon.

Nice quads; they accentuate your typos.

//spent far too many seconds trying to figure out
//"Why does a flat butt make lieing prone harder/easier?"

Look, I know English is not your first language Jose, but at least try to get it right.

Like others in the thread have stated, they're good for putting out large volumes of fire and not much else.
They're awkward to hold, and they more than likely throw of the balance of the gun, especially as they empty.

They look ebin and cyberpunk, also kind of compact when attached to the gun.

Attached: forte_vd_01_by_kutejnikov-d9bbqae.jpg (962x1024 35.11 KB, 51.28K)

Attached: 67.png (419x398, 190.94K)

Fuckoff, turk manlet.

i don't like this. as your magazine empties, the end of your gun gets lighter and lighter. if you want a heavy bull barrel for less flip up and quicker follow ups, fine. if you want a light barrel for faster target acquisition, also fine. but i don't want my gun's center of gravity to shift that dramatically between each round. gotta have consistency shot after shot.

I'm not sure what do you want to say here.
I'm not sure if that would be more efficient than just using regular round rounds. After all, you need space between the cartridges for the belt, even if it's a folding fabric.

Because I think the future of AGLs is the AGS-40 Balkan, which uses caseless grenades. Making a triangle-shaped grenade would be… weird.

Depends on the application. It could be better. for an unmanned weapon station is simply bolted to the vehicle if it takes up less space than a box. Trounds were developed for aircraft to begin with.

Actually, that gun lives on as an "alternative upper" for the Scorpion Evo.
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/23/292945/
archive.is/vHPeT
No, I really don't know what's the point of making a 9mm carbine based on an other 9mm carbine.

Quit shilling for the equivalent of iPhone screw of the cartridge industry.

Cylindrical rounds can feed basically in any orientation, trounds can only go in one way, which do you think will present fewer engineering challenges?

I thought caseless rounds were just as much of a meme as trounds. 400 RPM isn't amazingly high for AGLS (the Chinese type 87 fires at 500RPM) what is caseless ammunition meant to achieve with the AGS-40? It's a crew served or mounted weapon so it's not like weight reduction is much of a concern.

No, they pay way too well for that.
Have you seen that video? The trounds sit in the magazine in such a way that the orientation is always right, and the weapon itself is stupid simple too. You just shouldn't try to make a pistol out of the system.

It's the same technology that was used in the GPS-25, just scaled up. Also, I'm not sure why would you at the fire rate out of all possible characteristics, but I might as well mention that most AGLs are in the 300-400 RPM range. It's much more important what kind of grenades it fires.

Crawl back to McDonald's, faggot

I thought one of the main advantages of caseless ammunition was that it allowed you to speed up a weapons rate of fire by removing the ejection phase of the cycle?

dude, thats true for cylindrical rounds too! ffs.

The grenade is caseless because it has an inbulit high-low system, not because they wanted to increase the RoF. I take it's to reduce recoil, although a high-low system has other potential benefits too.

So the argument about the orientation of the (t)rounds is in fact completely baseless?

You misspelled "roll".

This tickles my 'tism.

my thoughts on the matter

Attached: disgust.png (590x652, 83.12K)

Adding to this:

I am 100% positive the guards would mow down the entire crowd if an assassin is amongst them. In case of secondary actor(s)

Calico guns put the magazine on top for ease of handling. Having the center of mass right over your hand was a selling point for them so they must have been well balanced and easy to handle. One of many neat innovations on their products, but they still couldn't overcome the fundamental issues of helical mags.

Attached: calico.webm (384x288, 9.23M)

Considering how bulky a tround gun is versus a normal firearm, and how limited in basic shape and engineering, the objections are based on something.

The problem with "crowd mowing" is that a human body stops a bullet pretty good, so all you're really doing is killing row #1, heavily wounding row #2-3 and every row behind that is relatively unscathed. It's actually more efficient to just shoot once, wait for the dead guy to fall down, then shoot again.

Full automatic firearms aren't good for killing large groups of people.

b-but the nice man on MSNBC told me bumpstock childseeking machineguns were the most effective way of killing dozens of innocent culturally diverse schoolchildren?

Man, I love the 90's Calico aesthetic. If only they worked and I had moneyand an FFL I would find and lovingly care for an M-955A. Does anyone make brace adapters for the pistols?

I think, given that these are issued to Deal Reader's bodyguards, they're basically made in lieu of SMGs as suggested, and for the purposes he mentioned.
Crowd control and moving down crowds is a whole other bureau, and depends on the size, movement and the density of the crowd.

It's funny because the guy in Vegas found the ONE way an automatic weapon had any effect on a crowd, by firing from ABOVE.
And even then it was less effective than a truck or even knife, the Vegas guy(s) only killed 50 people. Seriously that's less effective than a knife, look up the Xinjiang coalmine stabbing attack with over 60 dead, or the Aksu colliery attacks. Or the Nice truck attack, over 80 dead.

Are you suggesting that the Norks should give their security guys flamethrowers or something? Maybe with under-barrel AGLS? Because that actually sounds kind of fun.

No, I'm suggesting mowing down crowds has nothing to do with protecting a primary, providing covering fire does. Which is why they have guns that can't "mow down" a crowd, but can provide covering fire.

You know, Canada, shit like this is why I'm quite glad you didn't keep the beautiful Union Flag in your colours. It's also why nobody likes you.

I wouldn't want to get in your way there, Maplebro.

Don't get mad at banter, you started it.

Says the man getting mad at banter.

???

Why did you let these little faggots free, Britain?

Saging because it's off topic garbage. Are you the one with internalized cocks?

Would you want to keep them around? I mean I know you have to wear them as a hat, but if you had a choice, would you? Besides they only really went off the rails after we let them go personally I blame the French influence on them. Not for any particular reason, it's just good practice and a safe bet to blame the French for most things

Arm the king with a fucking nuke, nacuck.

Honestly it's our fault. Given time the mapleniggers would have joined the Union and we could have given them a stern talking-to and get them in line. But War of 1812 gave them the delusion that they were worth a damn and that sentiment quickly evaporated.

Nice dubs, and you did kind of fuck up pretty royally there. You could have done the decent thing and waited until Britain could commit to the war though, or at lest ceased hostilities after signing the peace treaty you asked us for.

Attached: 1812.png (844x1946, 123.32K)

Right because sending all of your hippies north during the Vietnam war didn't have any effect on our society.

It's not like we were conservative before that or anything.

I doubt 'Nam helped, but the vast majority of your population is in cities, you would have gone left either way.

Canada has been a dumping ground for our worst since the US was founded lad, it's a damn miracle that you lasted as long as you did.

We are so far gone at the moment, that our history prior to 1960 isn't even being taught. We used to have a pure common law system, we had even more rights than some American states.

Attached: leaf before (1)

Used to be kind of like Kansas mixed with Switzerland.

Attached: leaf before (5)

Join the club pal, don't get sad about it get angry.