Carbine Thread

Growing up I mostly shot and used Carbines around the farm and the preference has stuck with me over the years. Right now I only own pics related (M1/M4 carbines) but I'm looking for something new.

Asking the last question because I've never owned/shot a bullpup before but it looks like it may suit my purposes. I mainly need a rifle I can carry all day while performing other tasks that can handle small/medium game and is effective for self defense.

Attached: m4-carbine-002.jpg (600x450 270.45 KB, 433.45K)

Anything that doesn't suck.
Anything that doesn't suck.
They suck.
/thread

The one you're good with.
Something that doesn't recoil like a cunt
They're short with a full barrel, abyssal trigger pull.

An old Swedish M38 might be up your alley or a lever gun of some sort.

AR15
Poorly.

Attached: anime_RWDS.jpeg (2281x1576, 673.03K)

suck. the few inches you save in length really fucks up the trigger feel. also its unnerving having the ejection port under your cheek. can't imagine how shitty it would be if you're a lefty.

Most bullpups have the ability to swap what side it poops brass from.

The other main issue with bullpups is that they all feel surprisingly bulky despite being shorter.

It's because of the weight balance. CoM for the bullpup is further back, which means your shooting hand is taking almost all of the weight when you hold it This ends up wearing you out quicker than conventional rifles, in which CoM is approximately between the grip points and both arms take equal strain.

Mini-14 tee bee eich

Stuff like .30 carbine, 5.45x39 and 5.56x45, maybe some higher powered pistol rounds like 10mm if you count PCCs. .300 Blackout too if you want to go whacky, CMMG just released a .300 blackout carbine-type thing along with their new line of PCC AR-15s.

They would compare very well, but there aren't really any good ones available on the US market, they're either super expensive vapourware or bulky as fuck. The only sort of lightweight carbine-style ones I can think of that you can get on the US market are the AUG, the K&M M17s (they just released a .300 Blk version too) and probably the most interesting, the new Kel-Tec RDB-S, it has a 16" barrel and is only 5lbs, but that's if you can fucking find one, kek. They also keep threatening to release a 6.5 grendel version, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1170x504 431.1 KB, 356.82K)

Have you ever held a bullpup, user?

I don't like my rifles front-heavy OR rear-heavy, user. I prefer the CoM to be closer to the middle

You are correct, when you're actually shooting having the weight be more rearward is plenty comfortable and makes it easier to shift the barrel between targets. But I'm not talking about comfort while firing, but standing around holding the rifle across the chest, which is what infantry spend most of their time doing.

Attached: The 'I hate extremsists' starterpack.png (781x576, 60.88K)

But that's what most bullpups have

Also, OP is wondering about carrying while doing other tasks, which means he'll probably have a sling.

Middle of the rifle sure, but not middle of the hands. The weight usually rests right above the firing hand.

I can concede that, fair enough.

Attached: BullpupConventionalComparedPointofBalanceTiltedHandPosition.jpg (1500x1373, 267.48K)

It's quite sad that a Polish man who emigrated to the UK solved the main problem of bullpups simply by redesinging a German rifle, and nobody took any ideas from him. It's stiker fired, so you really can't complain about muh trigger pull. I think an ideal bullpup should have these features:
It really doesn't sound that fucking hard to me.

Froganon, something bullpups lack is proper weight distribution. They have a fat ass and you've got no counterbalance towards the front of the rifle.

Slings are a mandatory part on every rifle I own. What are you anons doing if you aren't using slings? Even the rifles I have that never leave the house have slings on them just because they're cheap and I never know when I might want to grab it and go for a walk.

I'll look into these anons thanks. I keep seeing .300BLK shilled everywhere but I'm not sure if it's for me since I don't own any suppressors. I can see the use in a PDW/shooting it suppressed in the home but at that point I wouldn't really consider it a carbine anymore. I'm thinking my best option might be building an AR in 6.5 grendel since I don't have anything in that yet. How is that cartridge out of shorter barrels? I'm probably going for 16" but I'm considering dropping down to 12.5"

Meant to say 6.5mm Creedmoor, too many cartridges to keep up with. I'm trying to decide between 6.5CM, .300BLK, or good old .308 right now. I'll probably be going with the first if I stick to the AR platform. I like the idea of .300BLK but range > suppression for uses and mags are cheap so I don't mind having multiple incompatible ones around.

It's good for shorter barrels that might be found on carbines since it uses fast burning power and shit like that, so it functions really well and reaches high velocities in SBR-length barrels.

y tho? A carbine is meant to be light, handy and mostly for close to intermediate ranges.

(((Tavor))) owner here. Don't get a bullpup. You have been warned.

I have two already and I want something short-mid length with more range. I don't want to step up to a full size for my daily carry but I'd like some more range out of it. It'd be nice to take larger game on a whim. I can drop a deer with what I have but sometimes I let them pass because they're several fields over.

I tend a large farm so I have to deal with a rifle while doing stuff like operating tractors and climbing over/under/around various things throughout the day. Sometimes I'll see a varmint too far off to shoot reliability with a clear LOS. By the time I get close they spot me and I have to wait for a later time. I keep cattle so I rest better knowing they're safe when I'm not around to watch after them.

.300blk is good if you want something that smacks like x39 but fits into any standard AR magazine.

I'm reconsidering it for sure after giving it a closer look. If I end up building an AR-15 it'll probably be the way I'll go.

Or you could just change the barrel. Not even joking, its just a barrel swap going from 5.56 to .300.

So, 7.62x39? I have an AR in that caliber. Shoots fine, no need to buy 300memeout.

Everybody on earth can draw a passing resemblance to the basic AR15 shape from memory but they do it wrong intentionally to not give it power over them. Like calling someone the wrong name on purpose.

Yeah, it's been done in the past. EM-2 and also the EM-1 (the trigger group specifically) are pretty nice examples of bullpups being done well. If only people had tried to improve on the designs further.

7.62x39 needs new mags, new bolt, and new barrel. .300 memeout just needs a new barrel.

Knowledge and experience are the antithesis to fear and superstition. If they knew the first thing about firearms then they wouldn't be anti-gun.

Well, if you want a. 308 bullpup, there aren't too many on the market. There's the kel-tec RFB which is 8.1lbs, the K&M M17s 308, which is 8.2lbs, the desert tech MemeDR-C, which is 8.7lbs and costs something like 3 grand and the brand new tavor 7, which is 9lbs. I think they all have 16" barrels.

This interests me. Though I know keltec is famous for not producing their designs.

Still, just the thing for a truck gun.

If you don't have any investment in anything AR, then the expense is non-existent.

I have enough parts for about six or seven ARs, and absolutely nothing suitable for .223

It -usually- doesn't perform too well out of short barrels. If you go bullpup, you can compensate with longer barrel while staying within "Carbine overall length".
Some cartridges do better than others, but -overall- it is not a good round to go below 16 inches which limits how short and maneuverable you can go without limiting yourself to only 100 yard of effective engagements (as in, you will kill shit when you hit).

The new Tavor is bound to be yet-another 3 MOA rifle at best. The jews can't design shit.

That's beyond stupid. In a combat situation, being able to be shouldering the rifle for longer periods of time with the support arm applying leverage toward the front end of the rifle is more important than having a bit of counterweight for follow up shots (specially when firing fucking 5.56).
With a regular rifle, you will be hugging that magwell after clearing the first building or doing the first patrol.

You ordinarily need to have held and fired a rifle to understand how crucial the weight distribution of a rifle is.
That kind of design philosophy has gone back to swords, even.

Yeah, I remember when the X95 first came out and IV8888 did a video on it, after one mag the group opened up to 10 MOA or some shite.

Thats fucking disgusting, 16" barrels and 50% plastic and they can only just match the weight of my 21" barrel AR10.

I don't know what your AR-10 is made of because most ones I look at with 16" barrels are 8-9 lbs depending on the furniture.

Actual AR-10's are featherweight guns. Modern AR-10's are fucking bricks.

So, maybe he's running with no muzzle device and titanium innards. Doesn't seem unreasnoable; a friend has an AR-15 with as many titanium pieces as he could accrue, plus lightweight plastic where available like stock and handguard. Can't remember if it's under 4 lbs or not but it has twice the kick of my rifle, I can say that.

He's a kiwi, he has a legitimate AR-10. Not the modern crap.

I have a Guatemalan contract Dutch made AR-10.

Oh right, it's that user, I've seen his AR-10.

Ah, I know you. When I see "AR-10", I assume shit like the S&W M&P10 or the LMT LM308, not the sleek, smooth, lightweight AR-10

Carcano troop special carbines or cavalry carbines aren't too expensive and not a bad option if you can find one in good shape. 6.5 carcano is a powerful round that doesn't buck too much. It would be sufficient to take down anything from varmints to deer, even bigger if you have good shot placement.