Trump Plans to Blame Video Games for Gun Violence

President Donald Trump’s stated response to a mass shooting at a Florida high school last month was initially broad in scope. But in recent days, he and his aides have begun slimming down their ambitions, with a particular focus now on shifting more blame onto video games.

On Thursday, the White House is planning to meet with envoys of the video game industry to discuss how violent imagery on their platforms may desensitize young people to firearms—and even train them to be more effective killers. Industry sources tell The Daily Beast that they are worried the session will be an ambush—an effort to scapegoat them for shootings in schools.

The meeting comes after weeks of internal White House wavering on gun-related policy items, with the president endorsing a Democratic gun control wish list on live television, only to have the White House walk it back after Trump’s closed-door meeting with the National Rifle Association shortly thereafter.

Press secretary Sarah Sanders mentioned offhand at a press briefing last week that the president would be meeting with gaming industry representatives, signaling yet another shift in the internal policy discussion. But even that effort has been marked by disorder and internal confusion.

Industry leaders were caught off guard by the announcement, with the leading trade group, the Entertainment Software Association, saying in a statement shortly after that it had received no invitation to such an event. Planning since then has been described as haphazard. Industry executives and envoys and lawmakers on Capitol Hill were eventually contacted, but when they tried to get specific details out of the administration, they ran up against roadblocks.

Knowledgeable sources says that the Trump White House has scrambled to cobble together some semblance of a serious policy meeting. And much of the heavy lifting for putting the session together, according to those briefed on the matter, has fallen to White House Director of Legislative Affairs Marc Short and Director of Strategic Communications Mercedes Schlapp. But as of Tuesday afternoon, it was not clear who, exactly, would attend, who was invited, and whether the Thursday meeting would be televised or not, according to multiple sources in and out of the Trump administration.

A White House spokesman insisted to The Daily Beast that a list of attendees would be released on Wednesday. Schlapp and Short did not respond to requests for comment. Other sources spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Among the video game industry and its allies, frustration and fears have grown as the disorder became clearer. In particular, there is concern that the White House will insist on cameras being allowed to broadcast from the session so that the president could create a video-ready culture-war moment on the causes of school shootings.

Words such as “pointless,” “stunt,” and “dog and pony show” were regularly thrown around during tense exchanges involving video-game industry reps and administration officials over the past week. Industry and administration sources conceded that whatever meeting happens on Thursday, it is unlikely to yield concrete, effective policy or legislative measures. Gun control groups themselves framed the session as largely superficial to the larger debate.

“I think you only have to look at Canada,” John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, told The Daily Beast on Tuesday. “They see the same video games that Americans do. They get all the same cultural signals and they don’t have a problem with gun violence as we do. In the end it is not about video games.”

As Feinblatt noted, the link between video games and gun violence has little empirical basis, as studies have repeatedly shown. And the planned White House meeting, the gaming industry worries, appears to be a way to shift a national conversation on gun violence away from gun control measures anathema to Trump’s conservative base and onto an industry with far less political clout in the administration.

“Video games are plainly not the issue: entertainment is distributed and consumed globally, but the US has an exponentially higher level of gun violence than any other nation,” said the Entertainment Software Association, the industry’s leading trade group, said in a statement on Monday. The ESA said it will attend Thursday’s meeting in order “to have a fact-based conversation about video game ratings, our industry’s commitment to parents, and the tools we provide to make informed entertainment choices.”
thedailybeast.com/trump-plans-to-blame-video-games-for-gun-violence

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-turns-spotlight-violent-video-games-wake-parkland/story?id=53593714
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who cares. People will only focus on the most popular shooty games like COD.

Attached: 6ae7d316cf5daeea00d5a19f2285a7636cf0504cf440bb1e3b776705f9593994.jpeg (1125x941, 121.9K)

and you think only COD will be banned?

To the Battle Stations!

Attached: thJQNC6RSP.jpg (474x266, 21.3K)

Yeah because video games are the problem. Bullshit.

Attached: 87eab8c87c0e850205c341d2ce13b98077cd49aac235560045a0f5e5d8b33e40.jpg (1500x1064, 360.05K)

What a load of bullshit. They are in no position to say what Trump plans or doesn't plan on doing.

Heavy tax now on violent video games
and no one under 21,just like guns

>defending (((video games))) in the Current Year
why are we on this imageboard again?
would you rather he blamed guns?

Why blame anything but the shooter? Is that so hard?

this website is for adults only

Why not blame the shooter? Why blame guns? Why blame the media? Why blame what we consume? Did the shooter not say, "Hey, today's the day …", right? If he did, why's it so unreasonable to not lose our fucking minds and just lay the blame with the asshole … who … did it?

but you're here :^)

THEY CAN TAKE OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS

BUT THEY CAN NEVER TAKE

OUR VIDYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (625x388, 360.24K)

Because there's no such thing as personal responsibility.

I'm a Vidya game player.
Last thing I wanna go and do is shoot something up and kill myself or be killed by police or a good Samaritan or be taken alive to be locked up in prison for the rest of my existence.
If I'm dead, how in the fuck am I gonna play vidya? I'm sure they don't have vidya in prison… I'm gonna play vidya until I'm shitting my depends and banging old ladies bent over my walker in the nursing home, so there's no point in me killing people.

I play all of the CoDs, all GTAs, watchdogs 1 & 2, all assassins creeds, both titanfalls… It's like… What DON'T I play.
But paddock probably owned me in a tdm one time or another because he was such a 1337 h4x0r… N¡664 p10x!!!!!!!!

Repblicans are fucking their lead into the midterms completely. A man from Seattle got his property stolen because looked at people too long by the red flag system trump proposed. Now he's gonna fucking spreg into this leftest trap. The head of the esa I can't remember his name is a Clinton staffer from the 80s he gloats about how he manipulates recucklicans into his own profitable gain which he immediately injects into the dnc's veins. What military/working age white male is going to vote Republican this midterm after they find out what happens in Washington state and the priceless gems that are sure to come out of this?

Kinda looking forward to this. Games get banned and normalfag trash stops playing them. Roasties won't touch them because the government will tell them not to. Vidya becomes a niche hobby again, good games start being made again. Perhaps the first instance of legitimate 4d chess.

Attached: d6b0e682da60fc4d9592c63c397d21527036d9c7424a043c6ee48360dd06a1fd.png (700x603, 116.44K)

A White House spokesperson said the meeting will be the "first of many" with industry leaders on the topic.

“As we continue to work towards creating school safety programs that protect all children, the President will be meeting with video game industry leaders and Members of Congress to discuss violent video-game exposure and the correlation to aggression and desensitization in children," Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters.
abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-turns-spotlight-violent-video-games-wake-parkland/story?id=53593714

Attached: th23IR6NVG.jpg (474x296, 32.68K)

Good. Final nail in the coffin of Democrats blaming Video Games. Republicans won't actually want to ban anything or control speech. Courts will strike down any attempts. If the Democrats ever flip back, they'll look like huge hypocrites.

Attached: 212dc59a2147041421048aff5b315c3e401dcc0c27abd34a122a872a32776ba0.jpg (157x255, 14.01K)

I'd rather see videogames banned than guns tbqh fam.

I'd rather see you check my dubs

Because crowds of ignorant old people fear what they don't understand. We have older generations of people who don't or never have played video games, hence they don't understand them. They still think of them as "Nintendo tapes" and as purely a thing children do. It was the same thing with comic books back in the 50s and rock 'n' roll back in the 60s and 70s and D&D in the 80s. You have a huge generational gap where you have a bunch of old people who don't understand what the younger generations are into and as is the case, they fear what they don't understand.

Drumpf

missed

Powerless Geek scapegoats
PERFECT!

And now we're just waiting for the poor deluded folks who voted for sock puppet #2 to start crying in denial or claim they were in favor of censorship all along.

Seriously, if a candidate has successfully passed the vetting of either the dems or the reps then it's a given the result will be a bought-and-paid-for president.

Arguably the last time election the dems just had "more of the same" while the reps ended up with a lineup you'd expect only to see in a closed psychiatric ward, but as things stand it'll be a miracle if either side is able to produce anyone capable of being even half-heartedly honest.

fuced up

Isn't the largest board on this site about videogames?

Attached: ad3e19512ad3854faaca65371bd9bc3d63936dd0ce6aa2f521c7a800d81c548d.jpg (484x566, 35.09K)

BETRAYED