Zig Forums Martial Arts

I've been thinking about getting into martial arts, but I am not sure what I should train in.

BJJ seems to be all the rage now, but I don't see the point in training in a grappling martial art for street self defense or possible use on a battlefield. The same goes for wrestling. Boxing seems to be the best choice, but it would need a lot of dirty tricks and illegal techniques thrown into it to make it viable IMO.

While I am at it, are there any books/videos that are a must watch/read on the subject? And are there any instructors who should be avoided?

I've done some BJJ (I got to white belt 2nd degree before I started questioning its street/battlefield use), and some stand up MMA (mostly boxing with some muay thai kicks thrown in).

Attached: logo_Personal_Protection.jpg (180x190, 6.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=oYo4wQ5eUJY
hooktube.com/watch?v=nWqOSda4wd8
hooktube.com/watch?v=I2jmY459wa4
829544.blogspot.com/2015/12/martial-arts.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Forgot to ask this in my OP, and can't be arsed to change the OP:

What does Zig Forums think of Richard Grannon? His videos look OK, but I could have sworn he was a fraud or something. I think he claimed to be SAS and a door man when he was neither or some shit.

Some of his videos can be found here:

hooktube.com/watch?v=oYo4wQ5eUJY

hooktube.com/watch?v=nWqOSda4wd8

hooktube.com/watch?v=I2jmY459wa4

user grappling martial arts/wrestling was for thousand of years the predominant martial art in almost every human culture, everyone learned it from the peasant to the knight.
Not only that they are also important skills for fighting with short range melee weapons like knifes and clubs.
Any fight can turn into a situation where you are wrestling with your enemy and only through training will you be able to get the upper hand.

Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence by Roy Miller is a good book.
Otherwise you local laws about self defense, including how such cases are settled by the courts.

Anything Krav maga
Anything that tries to sell you some shit from a third world country as a true and tested method for self defense, you don't live in a third world shithole
Look at your own nation, it has developed several way for self defense fitting for your culture. You just have been kept ignorant of it by the mass media and educational system.

Good to know that I hadn't wasted my time with BJJ. A shame I ended up quitting it because of a clash of personalities with the instructor. Long story short, he argued that hammer fists suck because you can break you bones when using it - and he suggested using cross punches instead… he didn't like it when I pointed out that punches can also result in broken bones for some reason.

Sambo is both practical and terrifying.

It's like BJJ but there's less oral and more breaking bones and snapping tendons.

You should fly to Iceland and lean Glima so no one will have any fucking clue what techniques you are using because no one knows what the fuck Glima is.

If only I was a richfag and not a poorfag!

Is the sport variant decent or should you find the military variant?

Depends where you live and what's available. If your choice is between some tub of lard that teaches BJJ and some physically imposing guy that teaches karate, I'd check out the karate guy first. Style considerations aside, you don't want to learn aikido from some 80 year old grandma, because you'll get better instruction from someone with a similar mindset. With combat sports, like boxing, BJJ, judo, kickboxing, etc, you're going to get to practice on a live opponent and members of the club should be fit, or at least improving their fitness.

I'd avoid all 'reality based self defense' stuff unless you can research the guys credentials first. Learning krav maga from some street ninja with a mysterious background is going to be a different experience to being the training dummy in some women's self defense course run by a grizzled ex cop. The reality based system sold from this guy, for example, has a questionable background. Not to say some of his silat moves aren't legit, but his credentials seem inflated or fictional. Whatever you choose, do your research, not just on the style, but the guys teaching it.

Muay Thai and BJJ seems like a good combo.
captcha: tweFug

Check out Master Chim's stuff. BJJ is apparently the most well rounded for street fights and general self defence, but you should be training with weapons as well if street fights are your biggest concern.

Where should one go to seek training? It seems like most martial arts schools are geared towards children, and I'd rather not be that one 20 year old sperg in a room full of minors.

Gun-fu is the only answer

Boxing could potentially end a street fight quickly if you land a good punch or two, but any opponent even somewhat skilled in self-defense won't let you knock him out cold. However, just remember that if neither of you gets knocked the fuck out or runs away, the fight WILL end in grappling.

This.
At least one fighter will try to close the distance because of height and mass advantage or other reasons. Getting good at grappling/wrestling is important as you can not finish every fight in 3 seconds.

Look up techniques yourself and spare with friends if possible. There is no point training meme martial arts where 70% of techniques aren't suited for you because you are simply not made for them. If you want to go to a club though then there should be some around universities where you will have a lot of 20+ year olds. Try Boxing (variants), MMA, Judo or BJJ. Krav Maga is ok but only really works against opponents who have absolutely no clue what they are doing which is still most of potential fights you could end up in. Also try to increase your endurance. Fighting involves your whole body and will tire you out quickly. Being able to (get up and) stand on your feet after a minute of fighting is underestimated.

I can give you a big list of instructional DVDs, if you are interested. Most of it is focused on MMA (and the bulk of the lists are BJJ instructionals), with a little bit of weapon stuff at the end.

I don't know about OP, but I am interested in your DVD list!

Make the Philippines your next vacation destination and learn some Pekiti.

829544.blogspot.com/2015/12/martial-arts.html

He exaggerated his security background and retracted claims he was a cage fighter. Nothing wrong with the videos, from what I skimmed through. The basic principles look legit, from my limited experience. I think he spent too much time namefagging on martial arts forums and took the '300 confirmed kills' meme to heart. Exaggerated his experiences and embarrassed himself. Not sure how seriously you should take the rips and gouges stuff. Good to be aware of, I suppose, but probably not something you want to rely on. Vid related.

One of his associates was the 'SAS' guy. Not sure about him.

Is there any "Zig Forums recommended martial arts" chart? If it's not then I guess one could be generated itt.

How to make practically everyone your little bitch the moment they attempt to fuck with you:
1. Learn boxing
2. Learn either Greek wrestling or BJJ, makes no difference really.
3. Done. You can now eternally BTFO the majority of "pro" MMA and Boxing/Muai Thai sissy faggots. Learning anything extra is optional and up to you. You may want to learn some special snowflake martial "art" to show off to your friends such as Systema but it's ultimately a waste of time.

Protip: MMA is garbage and for low IQ roidmonkeys. Becoming good at both boxing and wrestling will make you trillion of times superior to any brute retard who just went with MMA.

Attached: Hercules.jpg (706x960, 104.06K)

The last two sure, but afaik MMA is generally taught as a combination of Muay Thai/Kickboxing and BJJ/Judo.

You should train in putting larger dildos up your asshole with less and less lube. You should also train in advanced blowjob techniques on those same dildos (preferably after taking them out of your ass) because you're a fucking Australian and that is the best way that I can think of to adapt and succeed considering the future of your country.

MMA's weakness is exactly that. They're a jack of all trades but masters of none. It is good for beating up nerds in high school and niggers in the streets, but against a competent boxer/wrestler you're trash. Martial arts that mix many different styles all suffer from this, even kickboxing. Always they sacrifice training on either sparring, wrestling or other. Someone who has spent time on learning both arts one at a time will be much more effective.

Wrestling shit is nice to know, but most of the times, striking is superior because you can deal with multiple opponents.

Good luck trying to wrestle two fucking dudes or wrestle a dude with a weapon.

The sport variant is limited by rules of the match, which makes it a weaker form of Sambo. But it is still good for introductory knowledge.

Thai kickboxing or kickboxing in general to start, then wrestling or jui jitsu for when some faggot tries to take your gun from behind. Prove me wrong.

in a pinch BJJ and boxing are all you will ever need. BJJ can be trained your whole life but be careful with boxing and sparring, focus on upper body/head movement, footwork and just generally try not to get hit in the head too much. i would advise doing bag work after a few years of boxing, it really isn't worth getting brain damage. supplement these with Judo, wrestling and muay thai if you want. everything else is bullshit except combat sambo but good luck finding a school near you. all things being equal endurance is everything in a fight. fatigue makes a coward out of everyone.

BJJ is most closely related to Judo which the gracies stole from the japs they trained with. that said, self-defense focused BJJ that includes wrestling and judo takedowns is superior to straight judo or wrestling, and wrestling and bjj were never that similar to being with. greek wrestling just means more olive oil and penetration i would assume. remember bjj is submission based and a good bjj guy will usually win the wrestler. not always, but usually.

Kickboxers aren't as good at sparring as boxers. They sacrifice training on punches in favor of kicks - which in a real life these kicks are either worthless or even the main reason you will get fucked up. Any competent fighter can block kicks with ease and throw you down.
Boxing is the best martial art you can earn. Once you master boxing you need to learn wrestling and once you get good at wrestling nobody can fuck with you unless they're armed.

Imagine being this retarded

As many as you can. Boxing is straightforward and aggressive, but you need to realize that it is a martial art that has been adapted into a sport and adapt your training accordingly if you want to use it in a real fight. Real fights don't have rules. BJJ, judo, jujitsu, pankration, and the like are good for teaching you how to grapple effectively and, more importantly, how to defend yourself if you get grappled or fall down. Most people don't know how to break their fall, and it's really the most simple and effective shit you can ever learn. Tai chi gets laughed at a lot, but it's excellent for improving your flexibility and your focus, training yourself to keep calm when you get that punch in the face that makes everything go red and the rage takes you. Muay Thai is similar to boxing in its aggressiveness but its real appeal is in its focus of training you to endure severe pain.

Read everything. Try everything. Take whatever you can use from any style that fits your mentality and your body type, and internalize it. This is the beginning of forming your very own, personal martial art.

wrestling is inferior to submission based grappling, deal with it.

Judo used to be good. The competition stuff is watered down. Gi grabbing slapfights. A lot of the sweeps are illegal now. Could just be an Australian thing.

Kick is not shit, but the most important thing about kickboxing is that it teaches you to give knee.

Knee thrust is perhaps the strongest force a human being can muster.

Nope. That's what happens when you optimize stuff for sports. Now you can't use morote-gari, can't grab legs and can't do leglocks.

Attached: morote.jpg (1200x770, 53.47K)

Never ever ever listen to "muh spiritual ancient Chinese secret martial art" bullshit. Also,be wary of "secret techniques we can't use in the ring" nonsense too.

Look at what people are using in competitions. People who train boxing and kickboxing are the best at stand-up, they obviously know how to use their body to move and hit. Peopelwho are good at ground usually did wrestling and moved on to submission martial arts like BJJ. Muay Thai and judo are also popular among god fighters.

REGARDLESS. Whatever you do, wherever you go, MAKE SURE THEY ACTUALLY SPA. Try and get into competitions. Any place that doesn't spa or doesn't allow people to actually compete is a pile of shit and you will get your ass handed to you by an amateur fighter any day.

Second this. Arnis for the win.

Actually, you know what? I've got more to share than just a recommendation of one art. It's important to make a distinction, and it needs to be said among the peanut gallery parroting "BJJ!" every time this topic comes up.

I chose a striking art when I had to make a decision because I didn't like the idea of being stuck to one opponent – an open target for his friends to finish me off, if he has any nearby. My school teaches Arnis and Silat, but I'd learn to fucking box if that was the only thing available.

Rather than write a thesis over this, I'd have you watch this video. Look what happens after a brief exchange of words over a stupid basketball game. Black man throws a punch. Okay, fight's on. White guy apparently knows how to grapple. Good for him. Black guy apparently can't stay balanced, so he goes down with little assistance. White guy sets a lock in the heat of the moment…

…until the man's friends decide they don't like the white guy getting the upper hand. Several of them pull at the white guy's limbs to free their friend. When they pull the jiu jutsu lock away, the aggressor gets back to it and tries again, with no one holding him back. The guys who "broke up" the fight are fine with letting this happen; their friend "winning" is a more palatable outcome, until the more skilled one of the two initiates and successfully sets a lock again against the unskilled brawler.

Against all likelihood, the man in green finally gets into a position where he gives his assailant the chance to back down and walk away (which never happens) and AGAIN the others are trying to find a way to break them up just enough so the assailant can continue his assault. He's about to show mercy and they're still trying to devise a way to make him lose.

This shit happens all the fucking time when you go to the ground with other people present. You don't know what they're going to do.

At any point, any one of those spectators could have stomped or stabbed the guy trying to set in the lock, which illustrates a key failure of BJJ or any other ground-based art: many times, it fails to address multiple attackers.

Yes, by all means, learn BJJ. It is a wonderful art with many principles to teach the end user. But for the love of God, don't make that the only fucking thing you know. It is a tool in your toolbox, taking its place among all the other tools. Nothing more.

"You'll never play basketball again"

dealing with multiple attackers is the oldest meme in martial arts. there are some videos of people taking on multiple guys and the hero is always obviously experienced in striking and has excellent foot and body movements coupled with lightning fast, well placed jabs, and also the innate ability to know when it's time to just book it and run the fuck away, which is what 99% of us should be doing at the outset of any multiple attacker scenario because i guarantee that you are not quick or skilled enough to outmaneuver or outbox 3+ guys simultaneously before they gangrape you. the only reason green shirt guy in your vid related wasn't put into a coma by the other spearchuckers was because it happened in an indoor basketball gym and it would presumably be slam dunk (hehe) manslaughter charges on all of them. on the street he would have been stomped immediately, because niggers. so to recap, your best bet is solid boxing, some takedown knowledge, and knowing when it's time to run away like a little girl. though takedowns take a very long time to become proficient enough to execute without thinking, so just stick with boxing. saging because your post was retarded and low effort.

Nice brick of text. I'll respond.

This guy was under the impression that he was fighting a one-on-one fight because he was only being engaged by one guy before they went down. That was his first mistake.

He didn't back off once he felt more than one person's hands on him, and fell back into a defensive posture when the asshole tried again. Can't exactly run away from this, but he didn't really note it before moving on, either.

Finally, he tried to bargain with the guy giving his friends time to try and "step in" (read: kill this white piece of shit for winning in single combat).

Ego played a factor here. Too big of a factor to really call this "self defense". Actual self defense involves doing vicious, ruthless work to neutralize an assailant long enough to get away. I'll agree that he should've stayed on his toes. I'll also say that if he kept his stupid fucking mouth shut, he wouldn't have had to contend with multiples. This is where that "situational awareness" thing we keep hearing about comes in.

You don't need to be a ninja to fight off multiple attackers. If its a narrow enough space it wouldn't even matter, you just need a striking art so you won't get glued to 1 guy and raped by the others. As long as you're striking at the crowd and staying seperate and ungrappled, you're surviving.

Learn how to punch, block, and not get taken to the ground, unless you feel confident enough to control the situation.
Learn how the body works, there's a thousand ways to break arms and choke people.
Most importantly, avoid direct hand to hand, and seek a weapon, as it gives you more range, lethality, and can even be used to discourage your potential opponent.
Play it dirty. Stomp nuts, bite fingers, throw sand in their face.

Tl;dr
Be an animal in combat.