Whats the best option for bear defense/hunting

Obviously something small enough caliber to kill a rabbit without totally demolishing its meat
But also large enough to take out a bear in case of attack
And enough oomph to get out past 500 yards if you get into a desperate scenario for food.
Ive looked into it a little and you can definetly get a budget gun from MOST suppliers for around $300

But thats not my question

What is a dependable brand/caliber that you can get used at maybe a pawn shop for around $250

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-25-15-09-07.png (720x1280, 165.5K)

Not trying hard enough

Attached: 00bdfce00af42571486fbf860305917c4ce53c76.png (680x394, 401.4K)

No excuse.
>>>/cuckchan/
>>>/reddit/

Rifle/Shotgun O/U.

Fuck u. Im looking for advice for value as far as brands go.
Like which older guns are going to retain their competitive value versus the newer technology out right now.

Im going to go to a gun show soon, and i dont want to get scammed on a quick reaction purchase; a pawn shop almost got me to buy a new 22 rimfire longrifle.
It was either a marlin or ruger.

Attached: Enfield_rifles_abound.jpg (660x554, 228.48K)

Obvious, try hard troll. No cartridge is going be optimal for small game meat conservation and be a good bear gun and be optimized for 500 yards, there is no new technology in bolt action rifles and there never will be, old high quality bolt action rifles retain value because they are honestly as good if not better in some cases to new manufacture, bolt actions will never go obsolete and especially old actions will never go obsolete. Nice try.

Attached: to-do-list-trolling.jpg (800x602, 282.8K)

Attached: SoulfulImpracticalBlackfootedferret-small.gif (321x321, 335.19K)

Shotgun.

I like how he thought he was posing a tough question.

Thanks assholes.
This is what im coming up with.
Remington is a reputable brand, and you can probably get one second hand with a wood stock for easily under $300
The remington 783 comes in .223 typically with a scope and would be perfect for most mid game applications.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-25-17-01-36.png (720x1280, 428.42K)

Attached: nice.gif (500x280, 491.62K)

Drop the 500 yard requirement and you've just asked for a mossberg 500. You can get surpisingly far out with good slugs, and if you really intend on doing 500 yards because you live in the plains you can just buy a savage boltgun in .308 or 7mm-08 and be done with it.

Shotgun, retard.

Slugs for bears, birdshot for small game, buckshot for medium game. If you wanna push the range to 300 yards or so, grab a rifled barrel and a scope.. but good luck finding a 500 yard gun that won't obliterate small game.

If you took the cock out of your mouth for five minutes you might realize it's possible to carry more than one gun. Small caliber for small game, shotgun with slugs for bears.

You can dispense with a rabbit gun entirely if you load your shotgat with the right ammo. That's really the neat thing about shotgats- they're the multi-tool of guns.

Attached: AAF5144E-FB0F-4898-B463-6CCD094D728C.jpeg (900x484, 37.43K)

Attached: you_burger.gif (480x336, 1.45M)

Ok, I'll bight one more time, out of inspiration of the safari idea. With my 375 H&H I suppose a careful handloader like myself could achieve what you ask. I've made handloads using 264 grain cast bullets that could shoot 1 MOA at 1130 fps, even with the big bullet, and with a hard alloy, it would kill rabbits without destroying them. And of course it is in its element killing any type of bear that walks the earth, perhaps a bit much for black bear with normal jacketed high power rounds. With the right bullet choice and a high velocity I suppose it can reach out to 500 yards, its more likely your not being able to take game at that range is your fault than the cartridge.

I suppose a lot of this could be applied in some sense to other cartridges, 30-06 can do a lot of what you ask and can work well with cast bullets and light loads for small game eating. Any smaller is a poorer choice for big bear. Also many large modern super magnums don't work well with cast bullets and lighter loads with jacketed as well as the old fashioned straight cases like the H&H magnums and Mauser family. So 30-06, 8mm Mauser JS, 375 H&H are your best to fit in your radically wide list of demands. 45-70 could do everything but shoot flat enough for reasonable hunting to 500 yards, small cast bullets could take rabbits for meat if done right there as well.

Still, in this day and age "decent" and "bolt action" and "$300" don't always like to get along too well. 500 yard ethical hunting is already a bad enough subject because there is enough variable for even good shots to wound animals, a cheaper shittier gun is only going to make things worse. Maybe those rifles can shoot decent in many situations, but there should be more to life than using a stiff bolt, untrue barreled hunk of shit to do those things.

I guess I just love answering hypotheticals.

This is what im thinking after doing alittle research. Gonna do a speed read thru shooters bible to find what good prices are, then work out a deal with a pawn broker, PROBABLY.

And I do appreciate it. I'm stuck on .308 and 30-06 right now but pretty sure I just want the cheapest option for accuracy and distance, so I assume it would be an older model bolt action. Going to shell out early and practice with iron sights for the first year, the get a good optics setup later on. I already have experience with large and small arms, just not sniping, and i have the autistic obsession with reading, studying, and get into sniping the RIGHT way.

Its looking like i can make a sub $200 budget pretty easily, guys.

there is no such thing, you're talking about an animal that weights 5 pounds versus, what, a Grizzly? It's ridiculous.
get a shotgun for the rabbits and squirrels, and use a .35 Whelen with 250 grain bullets loaded as hot as you can for the bear. If you don't reload, just use .338 win mag but still go 250 grain.

Just get a 50 Cal and wiff your shots about a foot over Mr bunny's head, should rip it right off, hell if ya make the shot right it might suck his guts out too.

Attached: 1526481332936s.jpg (250x201, 5.81K)

Glock 20.

Benis :-DDD