A Self-Driving Uber Car Kills first Pedestrian

19 MAR 2018

Watch the attached video to see who is at fault,pedestrian or car

Uber Technologies Inc. has halted autonomous vehicle tests after one of its cars struck and killed a woman in Tempe, Arizona, in what is likely the first pedestrian fatality involving the technology.

The 49-year-old woman, Elaine Herzberg, was crossing the road outside of a crosswalk when the Uber vehicle operating in autonomous mode under the supervision of a human safety driver struck her, according to the Tempe Police Department.

After the incident, which happened at 10 pm local time on Sunday, she was transferred to a nearby hospital, where she died from her injuries.

"Uber is assisting and this is still an active investigation," Liliana Duran, a Tempe police spokeswoman, said in an emailed statement.

Uber said on Monday that it was pausing tests of all its self-driving vehicles on public roads in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto and the greater Phoenix area.

Companies including Alphabet Inc., General Motors Co., Uber and Baidu Inc. are investing billions of dollars to develop autonomous-vehicle technology because it has the potential to transform the auto industry, transportation in general and the way cities work.

One analyst has estimated Alphabet's Waymo unit is worth at least $70 billion. The fatality in Tempe could slow testing, delay commercialization and undermine such optimism.

Testing has expanded to complex urban areas as states like Arizona and Texas take a light-touch regulatory approach and companies race to be first to commercialize the technology.

That's helped improved the systems, but also increased the chance of a pedestrian death. Experts have long worried about the impact deadly crashes could have on the nascent industry.

"We're within the phase of autonomous vehicles where we're still learning how good they are. Whenever you release a new technology there's a whole bunch of unanticipated situations," said Arun Sundararajan, a professor at New York University's business school.

sciencealert.com/uber-s-self-driving-car-just-hit-and-killed-a-pedestrian

Attached: Uber self-driving car dash camera video released in deadly crash.mp4 (640x360, 1.13M)

old news fam. do you even lurk these boards or is it all bots???

3 fucking days old,shit for brains
go back to /newspus/ and copy/paste stuff that's never read

it's kinda the pedestrians fault, first of all, there is no zebra crossing, so she shouldn't have crossed,This 49-year-old woman, Elaine Herzberg, was crossing the road outside of a crosswalk
second, its fucking dark, there are no lights, she should have some sort of reflective clothing or a flashing light to make her position clear, and why would you walk across the street late at night with car headlights coming towards you?She definitely should have seen the car coming, why not stay put for just a second instead of being an idiot and trying to run past? shame she died, but
she is mostly to blame for her death fault.

The main question here is,could a human driver have swerved in time to prevent hitting her?

Already better at driving than average human drivers when you account for miles driven per incidents.

This just happened.

In unpopulated areas

and Are you guys even aware of the fact, that this Volvo is not equipped with the standard safety systems? It's got a 360 degrees LIDAR laser scanner on its roof. That system excels for "seeing" in the dark. The LIDAR (if not faulty) has clearly recognized "the object" way before the cameras or whatsoever. LIDAR has a range of up to 300 metres (>980 ft) which would have been enough. So for some reason the system decided not to react. We don't know why it didn't, but there's no technical explanation why the system couldn't see her just because it was dark. That's what LIDARs are here for.

crack whore suicide

fuckin WEW

peaceful welcomes from /r9k/.

do you remember years ago on many different and distant occasions when /b/ used to be good?
only true anons remember when /b/ was good.

>>>/r9k/

/r9k/ extends an invitation to all other boards. need a place to talk about anything? need a place to just unload what you're feeling? want to just joke around or share stories?
well come on over to robot haven!

good things about /r9k/:
the rules say you have to be a male virgin to post there, but wouldn't it be nasty if they excluded you just for being anything otherwise? I wouldn't really mention who you are or where you come from, but just follow the rules and everything will be fine. I'm sure it's going to be your new favorite board. have a really wonderfun day on /r9k/!
>>>/r9k/
it's the best board I've used in years and it never has any problems and even the moderation is good.
so anyways, /r9k/ welcomes you! lets get those posts per hour up, and make the board a little faster and better!
don't announce your arrival becasue we will yell at you for being a normalfag or a newfag! just try to blend in and be respectful ok?

holy fucking RETARDATION

i'm a virgin pedo
can i post shota on that bored?

Attached: 6055054.jpg (366x502, 22.09K)

agreed,new fag

>(((self-driving cars)))
how much do they pay you?

family says,'walk in front of self driving uber car,get hurt,we get rich'.
s
stupid druggie got herself killed instead,but now kids get millions

whole website is losing visitors
go leech somewhere else,like /zoo/,you robot retard

Attached: faggot alert.jpg (1000x1000, 135.55K)

BAN ABOMINABLE INTELIGENCE BEFORE THEY CLAIM MORE LIVES.

Thread theme

Can someone save that trannys reaction at the moment of impact?? 😂 To funny…

Also WHERE can I watch the full video of both the crash and the trannys reaction? Did the car immediately stop after hitting her or did the car keep going, crushing Her IN the process? I have these questions..

Hell, i couldn't see it either.
However, this issue could be prevented in future by giving the car an infrared camera or even LIDAR, something to allow it to see objects at night or which blend in very well with their surroundings, and detect a potential impact by calculating the speed of the object (if it's moving) and the speed of the car itself.

read the fucking replies

Does xer have a little under lip goatee?

Attached: Capture.JPG (430x416, 18.12K)

Attached: goatee.jpg (900x1276, 89.58K)

The chief of the Tempe Police has told the San Francisco Chronicle that Uber is likely not responsible for the Sunday evening crash that killed 49-year-old pedestrian Elaine Herzberg.

“I suspect preliminarily it appears that the Uber would likely not be at fault in this accident," said chief Sylvia Moir.

Herzberg was "pushing a bicycle laden with plastic shopping bags," according to the Chronicle's Carolyn Said, when she "abruptly walked from a center median into a lane of traffic."

After viewing video captured by the Uber vehicle, Moir concluded that “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway."

Uber is totally at fault imho

They doctored the vid to make the outside world darker than real life

No road is that dark , if you can't see in front of your head lights , slow down .

I think it's a shame driver is getting blamed.

I assume you've never hit a deer.

Did you watch the video. She was on foot walking the bicycle. Which means her speed would have been no more than 5km/h. Deer move faster. The car should have detected something moving into its path and responded by braking. This is clearly a failure of technology.
If the video WAS doctored, it was to increase the contrast.

This is nonsense. The police Chief is a fucking moron.

A human may well have noticed the cyclist in those conditions. You cant tell from a video because the camera has much worse dynamic range than a human eye.
The vehicles dont just rely on cameras. They have a suite of sensors to detect obstacles even in low light conditions. LIDAR picks up objects from 100m away and works better in the dark.

Obviously the AI failed in this case and Uber IS responsible.