Why do joymens over-engineer stuff...

Why do joymens over-engineer stuff? RPD bolt (1st pic) is literally a brick of steel pushing 2 flaps out whereas the MG42 bolt looks like it belongs in an automatic transmission. Is it a safety thing? Longevity? Help me out here even if it's just with these two examples.

Attached: newbolt.jpg (800x591 51.32 KB, 60.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nazi_Germany
piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/capitalisback/CountryData/Germany/Other/Pre1950Series/RefsHistoricalGermanAccounts/Lindholm47.pdf,
onlinetonegenerator.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Autism.

Preformance.
RPD ROF: ~675 rpm.
MG42 ROF: ~1,200 rpm.

But the MG 42 is by far the less reliable and sturdy of the two guns. Rate of fire has nothing to do with performance. What are you trying to say, exactly?

That is some aggressive bait right there.

I think it boiled down to philosophy of design. The MG42 was expected to have a longer service life and expected to be cared for by more competent crews.

What did he mean by this?

Attached: 1313879246382.jpg (500x355, 31.23K)

Oh man OP you sure sure are a retarded fag

Attached: Pq5ZNzn4_400x400.jpg (251x251, 14.53K)

(checked)
/thread

Hey retard, it is retarded to believe that everything German is superior, but it is even more retarded to LARP as a woken historian who believes that everything German is inferior. Youtube 25 year old failed pseudo-historians with worthless degrees aren't relevant and their opinions don't matter in the slightest. If you think you know history by watching some random retard self-acclaimed history expert who uses badly-drawn animations to illustrate his retarded and baseless opinions on history then you deserve to be sent to Somalia dressed like a tranny.

Attached: FAGGOT.gif (720x480, 125.75K)

Holy mother of strawmen, Batman. Who are you even talking about? Could you be maybe just a tiny bit less autistic and try to not view words you read online as a personal attack? I'm going off the non-idealised reputation of the gun that comes from people who have experience with it. I'm not even sure what your post is supposed to be implying except for really irrational anger.

eternal reminder that germany had an income tax of only 14% max on last-ditch war economy

It's an autism thing

Holy shit I pay more income tax than that and my country is a shit hole

Can I get a source? Not doubting, but I want to be able to spread this info reliably.

the number is from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nazi_Germany and piketty.pse.ens.fr/files/capitalisback/CountryData/Germany/Other/Pre1950Series/RefsHistoricalGermanAccounts/Lindholm47.pdf, but you made me dig a bit more. people claim everything from 9% to 95%. i honestly don't fucking know what their tax rate was because literally no sources corroborate. not on just that, but also on what portion of the GDP was what when. it's maddening.

Retards like you who go around spreading bullshit that they heard by "people who have experience with it" are always lying sacks of shit. Just admit that you're just a retard who believes crap he watches on youtube and then stop posting.
A retard who calls the MG-34 superior and the MG42 unreliable is in no position to call me autistic. The 34 was prone to jamming and dirt/dust made it even more prone to failures. The entire point of the 42 was to fix those problems while simultaneously make the production costs cheaper.

Gay thread

Never said that. You're putting words in my mouth.

Hi. I qualified on the MG3 a little over a decade ago, and used it as part of my national service. It was a very reliable gun if the armourers did their job correctly.
The high fire rate means you can wipe out a whole squad with a single long burst before they know you started shooting. I've also fired the Minimi and MAG-58, with that you hit at most 2-3 men and the rest take cover.

Mg-42/Mg-3 is a weapon for killing the enemy. MAG-58/Minimi is a weapon to wound a few, and pin the rest. They are made from different war philosophies. Both have their place in tactics.

…but I'd rather the MG-3, even if it weighs more than the Minimi.

(Picture not mine)

Attached: mg-42-maschinengewehr-42-2462.jpg (800x533, 149.44K)

It's more efficient to pin the enemy, MG3 would only be more successful in civil war, terrorism, and hit and run actions.

No. It is far more efficient to kill the enemy at range, and use rifles to do the mopping up as you move through their position. If you are concerned with ammunition because they knew you were coming and are crawling or something, then you must fire in small bursts. Slow automatic is wasteful of the element of surprise, and creates no shock when fire is recieved. Fast automatic is best for longer distances and open spaces, also when there is channelling of movement. If you are firing fullauto whether it is short or long burst, high rate of fire is best, otherwise you use single shots or different weapons like a mortar.

Or an automatic grenade launcher like the AGS-30. If the MG3 can wipe out a whole squad in a single burst, then that will slaughter a whole platoon. Or if some of them survives you can pin them down with aimed shots and aim the AGL to hit behind the cover.

Germans are cattle that spend 99% of their time trying to look busy and blaming other people for their mistakes.

They think that if they make things complicated enough, nobody can tell when they fuck up. Case in point: SAP

Thank you Magyar friend. Yes, different tools for different roles. If they are too close for heavy weapons, then best to kill them with smallarms, instead of making them hide.
If the Canadian wants to pin the enemy, best to do it with artillery airbursts.

"Slow" is relative, a semi auto rifle can fire about 100-200rpm, with the finger getting mighty tired after awhile. A 300rpm machine gun is already beyond that ability, and a 500rpm machine gun fire sounds fairly terrifying. At 1200rpm you're at the point where you're wasting ammunition and completely useless in any kind of regular combat, where the enemy already knows your fucking position so you can't surprise him and "wipe out a whole squad".

Go here
onlinetonegenerator.com/
Select SQUARE

Semi auto = 2hz
Suppression = 5hz
Anti aircraft = 8hz
"Accuracy by volume" bs = 15
Full retard = 20hz ←— there is no fucking need for this, it doesn't even sound like a threat it sounds like a joke

I'd rather have a gun shooting at 300rpm with my belt lasting four times longer than your belt, giving my grenadier team time to get into position and smoke you with HE, the only real killer in war.

1000rpm and more is killing bursts, as I said. In regular combat, unless you are an imbecile, the enemy will only know that you are somewhere, and well before you come in grenade range of any type, you have been killed with mortar fire and artillery if I am in defence.
The MG is FPF on the flank, and yes, it wipes out whole squads because you do not open fire with MG until ordered, unless you are an undisciplined Canadian, clearly.
Clearly, you have never been a machinegunner and are just regurgitating something you read somewhere.

Leave the shitposting to the Australians, at least they're amusing.

Grenade = agl, rifle grande, and shoulder mounted. Mortar fire is good too. Direct fire is for pinning down, indirect is for killing.

Pretty clear why germans and americans keep losing wars.

ALL FIRE IS FOR KILLING.
Pinning is a secondary effect, and should only be used to create an opportunity to cause casualties through other forms of fire. If you are relying on it for movement, your tactics suck, and you are wasting ammunition.
If your fire is causing no casualties, then you sited your positions wrongly.

And if you want to understand why the US and Germany lose wars- Germany loses because it cannot gather enough allies with it, the US because it fights wars of empire not conquest.

Again, leave the shitposting to Australians. You're terrible at it.

Attached: safety-first-14.jpg (500x357, 39.3K)

Suppressive fire is used when killing is not an immediate possibility, you shitbrained retard.

Nice LARP, fag. I bet you're not even from a country that uses the MG3.

Dirty damnyankee army with their "LOL JUST SUPPRESS HIM WHILE OUR AIR FORCE IS OTW" cowardice, wasting thousands of dollars in bullets and then wasting millions in bombs just to kill some sandniggers in the mountains, wasting billions in taxes stolen from occupied Confederate territory. You fucking yankees have always been shit at war; when you came down to rape the south in your war of aggression, a bunch of "redneck sister-fucking racists" murdered half a million of you fags with spears and bowie knives. Andersonville 2.0 soon, all carpetbaggers will be deported into the sea. What are you going to do when the boys in grey come marching into your town with duel shoulder-mounted gatling guns, and your meme fire won't do shit because they're fearless and hopped up on military meth?

*fucking niggers up
The real question is, "Are yankees white?"

Attached: seconds after negro triggers KKK bomb planted in black neighborhood, 1912.jpg (480x360, 14.48K)

You don't need an air force to hit someone with indirect fire…

Shut up leaf

Attached: flat,800x800,070,f.jpg (800x800, 66.43K)

Lmao

whiter than you mohhammed

Shut up leaf

whiter than you trayqwanjejuan mcgregor

Attached: Grasping at Straws meme.jpg (640x480, 72.9K)

Shame you barely have one anyway

Shut up leaf

LAAAAAAARD

Dumber and dumber. Keep digging, gook.

Attached: clean_yard1.jpg (600x400, 149.48K)

Shut up leaf

What I wanted to say is that an AGL can do the work of a GPMG a lot better and also works as an acceptable mortar, all without being that much heavier than a GPMG on a tripod.

You know how the French dealt with a German machine gun position in 1918? They had a squad with a few Chauchat automatic rifles suppressing it with continous fire, and then an other squad with VB rifle grenades destroyed it. The Chauchat had a RoF of 240 rounds/minute and was fed from 20 round magazines, yet that was enough against an MG08. And the VB rifle grenade is a relatively small explosive, at least compared to a modern HEDP rifle grenade. The same tactic with modern weapons would require a single squad, as one grenadier could destroy the MG position with a single shot.

#notall

Ags30 is half the weight of Mk19, grenade launchers are very different. I think a caseless 30mm with 30rd poly mags would be the best.

Shut up leaf

The flaps on the RPD bolt needed to be a perfectly matched set to work right. If one got out of spec the whole force of firing would be put on the single flap that engaged and it would shear after only a few shots. The flaps also needed to be machined from a thick plate of steel, not sure how thick but it's not nothing.

Rollers can be cut from a piece of bar stock and hardened pretty easily. They're also more forgiving with engaging the recesses in the barrel extension, though accuracy can suffer if they deform or due to different sides of the rollers making contact after each shot. This isn't a problem with GPMGs but it can be an issue with DMRs.

Does that answer your question?

Attached: soda.gif (960x636, 3.33M)

Just a reminder that this exists.

Attached: autistic faggotry.jpg (1800x611, 82.43K)

I don't why anybody wastes their time with anything that isn't a rotating bolt. Everything else sucks shit in comparison.

Attached: LewisBolt30304.JPG (800x531, 38.04K)

Confederate poasting is now a thing, and I want more of it. Please keep sperging, user.

so it changes somethings but doesn't require a level of complexity near that, the pkm is in 7.62x54r and it isn't as complicated as the mg42/mg3

Because those require complex machining operations with an end mill and a lathe. Roller locking or delaying systems only require a saw for new rollers and an end mill for the most basic bolt bodies.

Not everyone had access to advanced machine shops and qualified machinists in 1940.

Thats the a fucking bolt from a Lewis gun. Made 30 years prior and uses a rotating bolt with no kraut volks voodoo involved. A piss easy design you can make with harbor freight mini mill.

Its like you want everything to be out of spec

Someone hated shop class, you use a dividing head to do the camming surface on a mill and you're done.

Nigga what are you doing?! You're better off building a mill yourself than buying one of those, you can't even risk stoning the ways because you cannot replace them unless you tear it down and change the design from what it was originally intended to do.

Different strokes for different folks, sometimes if you don't want to deal with a complicated trunion or barrel extension, you go with something that just needs a notch or space for a lever.

It all depends on what you want to do.

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x640, 48.29K)

To answer you OP, the Germans are very bad at engineering, they underengineer one part then overengineer another part to make up for the shortcoming of another.

Rinse and repeat and you end up with a german system. Compare that to something Swiss or Austrians where they make everything to do exactly what they're supposed to do and you'll realize, the Germans were always untermensh and Nietzsche was right about them since they were too stupid to understand what he wrote about them.

Attached: image.jpg (680x510, 10.83K)

There's still youtube and torrents to learn all this shit

And with that I will quote

Attached: s-l400.jpg (450x338 53.44 KB, 122.14K)

I'd rather have something overengineered and mass producible than hand fitted clockwork. That whole interchangeability thing is pretty nice.

Not really a thing, the swiss regular goods aren't hand fitted clockwork, they just work well at what they're supposed to do, like their rifles or handguns.

And Austrians, I think we all know about Glock and Steyr.

Come on man, atleast remember what the places I mention produce.

The SIG rifles I've played with are plagued with spring and firing pin problems. Dunno why they'd throw the recoil spring around the op rod. In regards to Steyr they've only in recent time produced something that isn't as anal as the M95 or the number of pistols that never went anywhere. Glock is a relatively new thing in the annals of history.

And that's why the MG-42 was relegated to the museums post-war, while the RPD has never been replaced.
This thread is /int/-tier.

Bantz or ignorance like the leaf?

Attached: glares in disapproval.png (266x282, 58.64K)

Is there a video tutorial for making such surfaces?

sure, it's called helical machining.

Good one.

Attached: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.png (478x899, 113.17K)

Attached: 1429307576092.jpg (676x491, 213.01K)

I swear it's getting more and more autistic in here.

Though I think OP should've used the DShK instead to be honest.

Tbh, the DShK (not DshKM) is remarkable in being just as reliable firing upside-down as the right way up.

From what I've gathered the demise of shop class has more to do with liability than anything. So, blame the Jews (in this case under the guise of ambulance chasing lawyers looking to get some of that fat tax payer money from the schools.)

Sure its a bad example, but If I needed to I could fucking do it. hell one could just ECM all that shit and pop it in to an oven at 250 to get rid of the hydrogen. You could have that shit lock in the rear and tell the barrel extention to fuck off, like in an Enfield or the aforementioned Lewis Gun. You can make a piss easy rotating bolt.

Attached: 169485.jpg (880x660, 40.98K)

The fuck is wrong with you? You don't use ECM for simple shit like that, just do what stoner made the damned AR-18 for, cast the stupid things.

If you aren't satisfied with the strength of cast steel (which really should be enough) then just machine it, it isn't hard.

When all you have is pool acid and a tombstone, you make that shit work. How are Proxxon mini mills?

Attached: ac-225-after.jpg (593x800, 120.22K)

They aren't really made to do anything strenuous with, go with grizzly or little machine shop and buy something with an R8 taper.

Use an R8 to ER32 or ER40 collet set and buy endmills for those and you should be all set really.

Push comes to shove you can cast your own mill or lathe out of old metal and just use rods or steel plate for ways (steel plate you would have to take a chisel and file to but rods you'd have to make brass bushings for to not lose as much accuracy over time).

Fucking delicious. So a little number like any of these two would put me in business? Heres a thought could ECM be used in making dies for forged bolts? Get that forged steel strength for a bolt that lasts all night long?

Attached: g0720r-6a6559817db39001aeaca4db83fab1e6.jpg (500x500 26.65 KB, 39.38K)

Stick to the vertical mill, combos aren't stable since they use the quill for the Z axis as well as raising the head on a single round surface will rotate it out of zero.

You can if it's not something you can machine easily. The issue is that if it's too big a part it will blow out your fuses/trip your breakers and you still need to make the electrode out of graphite anyway on the mill or lathe.

Attached: g0768-fbd520ec82ff91ee67bb540ae1bf156b.jpg (1414x526 63.86 KB, 520.41K)

Everything you just typed makes me want to build a cabin next to a decent stream, Build a generator, and have some fun few would understand.

Attached: Screen-Shot-2014-11-23-at-10.09.35-AM.png (900x600 670.78 KB, 174.96K)

Now for rotating bolts, would it be easier just to stick with two lugs, or go with four in the shape of a slightly rounded square? pic kinda related.

Attached: DSCF6675.JPG (1600x1200, 372.98K)

That's very Ukrainian of you.

Jokes aside, you'd probably enjoy Gingery's machine shop from scratch book series.

A Square or Triangle, either would do fine.

Why do you describe my life?

T…Tesla?

Attached: Nikola Tesla bulb.jpg (1209x1547, 807.67K)

Can't help the Slav blood in me. Hate roaches, blend in mostly Greek food festival crowds, find mirth in the grim. That point aside might go with the Square bolt. I have an idea that involves A side loading bullpup that gets rid of the whole "mouth full of brass issue".

The world shuns things like us, that's why we are here.

Kinda close? My job involves melting metal with fuckloads of current.
If I get to working on my dream "home I may need to get the creek from an old mine under whats known as a "Sky Island". Sky Islands are areas of high precipitation that sit on really high desert mountains. You can find them all over the place in spooky parts of Nevada.

Attached: 5958983051_c70c81cf39_b.jpg (800x600, 310.33K)

Ain't that the truth. It is nice to go to a place where you're a more of a curiosity than a shunned man. Sometimes you get free drinks for the oddball stories of what happens in the zone.

Well, if you can't do the no-wires "field of lightbulbs" trick I'm not gonna be very impressed.

Attached: nikola tesla lightbulb.jpg (1920x1080, 63.48K)

Sounds like you need to move to Rural Nevada. The only things that live out here tend to be strange. Fuck, even in Clark County, the actual born in the state natives are worlds hardier than the transplants.

Attached: 009-33B-003-Clover-Valley-NV-Near-Property.jpg (681x516, 57.52K)

I'm out of bumfuck montana originally, where I'm at now I call the zone for the absurdity of what goes on, the only thing that is really missing is actual anomalies and artifacts. Its a place for people who don't really belong elsewhere and like 100+ miles of nobody around them.

A small example of the going on there? Also another pic from Nevada.

Attached: nevada2.png (550x325, 452.83K)

Does anyone have PDFs of Gingery's books?

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:03577c32baa63b6d09d07b959e0c5e07cc018e65&dn=Build+your+own+metalworking+shop+from+scrap+-+Dave+Gingery&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.zer0day.to%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969

Some pages in some of the books are screwed however.

Here's plans for another type of mill (Gingery's Horizontal)

Small example huh, there is an Irishman who wanderers around one area of the woods who likes to scream out random IRA songs and takes potshots at people who get too close to what I believe is where his stills are potentially located at. He even dresses the part too.

Attached: DSC00866.JPG (1920x1080, 521.73K)

With his Armalite Rifle?

Attached: Home_Stock_Sets.jpg (500x331, 125.83K)