Alternatives to Ear Protection?

Hi, I've seen a video on YouTube of some guy suggesting that you could use of all things f*cking bullets as an alternative to earplugs. He's specifically talking about Pistol Rounds; (I don't know which caliber because I have never shot a gun before, I'm just asking the experts.) either casings or live. Could this work to prevent tinnitus?

Attached: Bulletear.png (523x359, 493.44K)

sound waves lose amplitude as they pass from one medium to another, so the soundwaves having to transfer their energy from the air, into the bullet, then back into the air before hitting your eardrum does dampen the sound, but it's nowhere near as effective as a foam plug. after all, brass transmits vibrations pretty damn effectively.

they're better than nothing but i wouldn't recommend counting on it, especially when foam plugs are so cheap

as for caliber, they're probably 9mm

The foam earplugs never felt right in my ears, so I got custom molded ones that glow in the dark. I can wear them all day comfortably and still put on the big muffs when I want to double up.

Attached: 1464059914324.jpg (1000x749, 116.25K)

I've impromptu used 9x19 as ear pro, isn't the best but it worked.

I hate canadians so fucking much, jesus christ

My ear is permanently broken so no need for me to wear the ear plugs or muffs.

The thing is: it works, but not nearly as well as foam plugs or even cotton wads would.
As another user pointed out shockwaved lose energy when transitioning from one medium to the other. So going from air to lead to air to eardrum is 3 transitions.
But why are foam plugs or cotton so much better? Air pockets. Instead of traveling straight through the plug, the shockwave hits many hundred tiny bubbles or air pockets within the plug, each time transitioning from foam to air to foam to air to foam…
This drastically reduces the overall energy of the shockwave before it hits your eardrums.

This tbh, just blow out your eardrums so you don't need earpro

What is it like shooting guns deaf, gotta ask.

I think that person is deaf.

Why haven't we developed water/gel EarPro kind of like how PCs have water cooling stations? Water/Gels are harder to pass through than solids so wouldn't it work better, and when combined with electronics it would allow lower frequency sounds like voices to be amplified through the gel material?

Attached: dadd6e4c877f5436792bcc66859198bebc7dac0910b41b83a806ed1af68c9fa6.png (821x804, 259.78K)

Combined with
Couldn't you add a small servo pump to the EarPro so it pumps water mixed with air through the system in order to create even more microbubbles?

I couldnt really hear what you posted, could you speak up please?

Water is heavy

What about gum?

I just want a qt to clean my ears

I haven’t fire a gun yet but I am thinking about getting one.

It is okay to say mean words on the internet, leaf.

Accidentally I thought you were talking to me until I realised that I misread “leaf” as deaf.

Depends.
Gum works a lot like wax, but keep in mind that
a) it's fucking unhygienic to stick gum into your ears because it is sticky and will collect dirt. If you stick it in too far or something pushes it in further, then it can stick to your actual eardrum and cause problems when you want to remove it.
b) chewing gum soaks in a lot of water/spit, which it will leak into your ear. This can cause infections.
c) gum is a mostly homogenic mass. There are next to no air pockets in it. While it will muffle noise and take off the highest peak from the shockwave, it's not going to be nearly as effective as other materials.
d) most chewing gums contain some kind of flavour. These materials are intended to be washed away by spit. They are not meant to stay on your skin or even in your ears. They too can cause problems.
e) as the gum dries out, it will shrink. This means that it won't block our ears as well as it used to, or that it will generate a lower pressure inside of your ears, which will put your eardrums under stress.

Wax is very similar, but it won't stick nearly as bad, it doesn't irritate skin, it doesn't shrink, it is mostly anti bacterial, you can churn it to get some air pockets into it, and it won't leak water into your ears.
It's also not god damned chewing gum. Who the hell sticks gum into their ears? Holy shit this is retarded.

Well I mean in the case you don't have ear protection when some Sand Negro is shooting your mall up.

There is a type of headset that not only muffles dangerous levels of noise but also enhances quiets sound such as the sound of a whisper. It helps with home defense and it help with hunting too since you can still hear footsteps and better without them.

You have more pressing matters in that case.

Active earpro is standard tech nowadays.

But theoretically if you need ear protection in an emergency situation

Fucking what?
Does anyone grasp the basic concepts of firearm mechanics on this board?
The sound of a gunshot is caused by the expanding gas produced when gunpowder is burned. The gas is traveling down the barrel extremely fast, and when the projectile leaves the barrel the gas is released around it, causing a pressure wave in the air due to its speed. This pressure wave is the majority of the sound that is heard when a gun is fired, though the sound of the action as well as the supersonic crack of the projectile also play a part.

We already have this tech without the need to add water or some other fluid Strelok, why would you make something more prone to failure?

Then deal with the temporary hearing damage. You are significantly more likely to fuck up your ears by sticking gum in them and getting an infection to go along with your ruptured eardrum and foreign matter in your inner ear.

You just learn to live with tinnitus?

Cigarette filters work surprisingly well.

But smoking unfiltered is way too harsh. Tried it once and my fingertips turned yellow for a week.

Deaf people are able to live the ear rings peacefully so yes you can do it.

Use the thin cloth or plastic wrap with the gum or cotton balls in it so it can be pulled out easily.

You have three options:
1. Smoke the cigarette first.
2. Man up and smoke it nonfiltered.
3. Man up, rip off the filter, and throw the rest of the cigarette away.

True streloks fight like men.

Attached: true_men-not_pussy_kommandos.jpg (900x598, 93.1K)

The best alternative to ear protection is to wear nothing. You really don't need it my dude.

Gunsmiths, too! Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim went damn-near deaf developing and demonstrating his Machine Gun. Are you trying to say you're better than Sir Maxim?

Foam plugs are stupid cheap. You can buy them by the thousands through industrial supply outlets like Grainger for a pittance. You can also use cotton balls in a pinch. Literally anythinf would be better than a bullet as simply having something that "heavy" in your ear is going to cause discomfort after a relatively short amount of time. Copper and brass can also cause skin irritation, women get rashes all the time from cheap cheap jewelry, particularly earrings.

sorry, Zig Forums meme

Tbh two 9mm/.40 casings work just fine. Even better if they haven't been yet. But I'm also a poorfag with hearing loss from years of drums/guns/airshows.

So did soldiers in WW1 and WW2 wear earpro or not?

Attached: tumblr_mqltkqdEBI1rp30dro5_500.gif (500x270, 928.3K)

I think those manning the artillery did

Attached: artillery.webm (640x360, 3.86M)

Pleb.

1Cut grapefruit in half Plastic cling wrap around your head securing over each ear
Better than peltor.
2. Tim Horton’s coffee cups filled with foam from gun case Plastic cling wrap around your head securing over each ear
3. Tear strip off paper target Roll up tight soak in water insert into ear canal.
4. Marshmallow
5. Gummies
6. Unused cleaning patches
7. Paper funnel nest of baby spiders into ear.
8. Stick widdled into ear plug
7. Tampons

Probably in order to not completely blow their ears out.
I've heard soldiers during ww1 had to use padded helmets in order to not suffer concussions from the shockwaves of the heaviest artillery.

A lieutenant told me that back in the day, soldiers "toughened" their hearing by not using earprotection. Probably didn't work so well.
I don't know if it's true or not.

This

You only need ear protection if your gun make a harmfully loud noise.
Here is a 50 cal shot indoors without hearing protection.
OSS suppressor.

Attached: 1381989425482.jpg (500x600, 31.12K)