AK appreaciation thread

Is the market for this dead? I was interested in getting an AK in this type, not for actual use, but just as a collector's item. Seems like there aren't any around anymore. I would like to see how they shoot, seeing as I've never handled and AK, and I quite like the aesthetic of the more straight magazines. As far as I know, it's still being produced even if the milsurp stuff isn't being imported. So, what the hell? I'm thinking of just going for a 7.62 variant at this point.

Also, general AK thread.

Attached: AK-12.(Girls.Frontline).full.2294357.jpg (1800x2500, 762.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/ak-47
twitter.com/AnonBabble

AK is a meme

AR is a meme

AK's a still plenty prevalent on the US market you absolute plebian. Source: gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/ak-47

AKs are solid rifles that will outlive you, even with use. Now, some of the US built ones are questionable in that regard. But WASRs are still around, and so are other Cugir guns. Bulgarian rifles are still on the market, and yugos are still out there, as well. They've become a little more difficult to get your hands on, but they're definitely still around. And if you're not really looking for anything on the new market, the used market is abundant with good imported AKs.

tl;dr AKs are good and you absolutely should explore all your options before buying. If you have mad dosh to drop on the guns, you might consider a polytech or an arsenal. If you have a moderate amount to drop, consider a used Norinco, polish, yugo, or romy. If you don't have a whole lot, either buy a questionable US built or save your cash until you have enough for at least middle-shelf guns.

Romanian AKs are really good, and if you can buy one, I'd suggest it. Chinese are tip-top tier but they're a bit harder to find and demand a little more than your average AK price. Definitely worth it, though. They're 99% military guns.

Attached: 8mm ak.jpg (1106x442, 301.13K)

AK autistic here. I know everything about everything. The AK market for new rifles is probably in the worst state ever after Saiga/VEPR sanctions and Romanian (WASR) and Bulgarian (SLR) rifles are only trickling in due to the factories fulfilling military contracts. However, you can still get fantastic rifles on the used market. And if you source a parts kit/barrel/receiver, there's no shortage of builders out there that can assemble you any pattern of AK you want at quality surpassing any factory (JBI Armory, Two Rivers, Mygunsnorthwest, etc).

My apologies, I meant a 5.45 AK variant. That's the type that seems to have dried up.

For 5.45, you're going to be looking at the used market or parts kit builds. Lee Armory might have some Bulgy 74s or Romy Md.86 builds in stock - I know he was doing some.

Standard fixed-stock 74 build would probably run you $600-700. A few hundred more in parts and you can have an AKS-74u, AK-105, etc.

Yeah, the market is so dry I'm considering getting a new production 5.45 from Rifle Dynamics. Sure it's overpriced, but surplus 5.45s are even more overpriced to the point that it's almost worth it to get a new-production from RD.

I never understood the point of AKS74u when you can have the same thing with a round fitted for the role a lot better. Burgers have their blackout while AK has had x39 long ago, why do the same mistake of reducing rifle effectiveness so much when you already have established supply of the proper round?

.300 blackout is retarded, and both it and 9x39 are designed to be suppressed. AKS-74u was designed as a PDW for vehicle crews and to have high parts interchangeability with the AKS-74. Fills that role really well.

Plus it's the most beautiful raifu ever.

Attached: aks74u_velky_zpsd2f9b68d.jpg (900x551, 34.7K)

I just started reading Action Violence I like it so far though they do slightly stretch the realism, since that was what I was expecting but still good
I also started reading Magical Girl Special Ops Asuka. It's pretty solid as well though I hate how the MC is seen with a rifle but instead uses a knife instead.
Marginal Operation started out pretty good but I end up dropping after the dude switches sides. WT F? arnt mecinaries greatest sin is switching sides?
I still need to read bubblegum crisis. Any more./ak/ y'all recommend? I seen GITS, Poop laggon but that was trash, and Jirgomound or whatever. I just hate it when these /ak/ ones turn into a 180 and pull a "world peace" bullshit on us.

My plain honest opinion is simple, the AK is a decent system, very reliable, cheap to make. Not a bad decision for a militia or self defense weapon in the US, the ammunition, parts, magazines et al are common enough, if there was a Red Dawn invasion you might end up getting enemy supplies. The problem IS the current market.

When I got my PAP, my gun dealer said that Ak47's, even the good ones, really should never sell for more than $300. I fully agreed with him then, I even fully agreed with him before we did the paper work and I paid $600 on Bud's to buy the damned thing. I still sit here and hurt over how much I paid for the thing, and its a good AK47. I kinda regretted the decision as I made it, and it haunts me every time I enjoy shooting it. Its stamped steel and simple manufacture, it should be a damn $300 gun. Its a damn good Ak47 but it was double the price what it outta be.

The fact that you are going to pay the current market price as is for the what you are getting is the current shit state of the AK US market. Its shit. Even if they are good guns the price is retarded. Its almost a joke.

Yeah, Century and especially Arsenal have been using the scarcity to shamelessly jack up prices. Arsenal are a bunch of greasy kikes that make a big deal on social media when they "sell out" of a rifle only to "find" a crate of them in their warehouse two months later and sell them for $200 more than before.

There isn't a very good reason to buy 7n6 surplus unless you have a specific reason for wanting it at this point as you will likely pay too much. Commercial 5.45 is the same price as 7.62 and is all the usual brands for the most part. Only real issue with 5.45 commercial imports is that there can be some stretches where maybe your preferred brand isn't in stock anywhere.

You're not wrong mang but I was talking about rifles and not ammo.

A M92 is the best if you want an effective krink style AK. 7.62x39 in the same form factor as a AKS-74U.

I hate yugos. They look like AKs with down syndrome. Aesthetics are terrible.

What's so bad about them? Mine looks fine. Fits in a backpack and packs more punch than a similar sized gun in another caliber. Only downside is that it is heavy as fuck.

Attached: homura.jpg (1280x720, 148.84K)

Well, we already have one of those, I think. But as long as we discuss raifus and raifu accessories, I think you're free to post as many /ak/ images as you want along with your on-topic post.

Attached: fal-chan.jpg (884x1024, 55.67K)

Why is /ak/ the best board combination?
Also: did anyone cap the GuP thread where a real German tanker showed up? It happened on /a/ a couple months ago, and it was the reason why our local train-autist made a thread about human factors in military design.

That fucker always comes in /v/ tank threads just to bitch about how awful tanks are and why we shouldn't like them. We get it, his shitty Leopard wasn't comfy, but that doesn't make tanks not cool as fuck.

buy Arsenal.

I hear the quality has gone down in recent years.

Because cute girls and guns will always be on your side.

Has anybody heard somewhat directly of an 80% build built-up to look like a dragunov clone, complete with a larger caliber like 7.62 NATO or x54r?

What i'm after is, do I need to be a serious engineering metalhead to construct my own dragunov from spare parts, or can I assemble parts kits a, b, c and cut part D a little larger to assemble everything and have it shoot predictably and somewhat accurately?

Barring that has anybody seen an AK-compatible grendel barrel? Other than just buying a completed rifle, I mean?

Attached: CriterionBbls.jpg (760x400, 249.72K)

Just sounds like a parts kits build to me, 80% AKs still require welding and some skill. AK parts kits builds also involve presses, rivets, and a larger investment in parts than an 80% AR build.

I have a DDI ak74 before they went retarded (2015). Should I sell it to fund a ptr32? Ammo is not easy to come except for gun shows or ordering ammo through some shops distributor, and internet sales aren't viable since the price will sometimes go above brass 5.56 prices after certain bullshit laws and fees. Does it even have much value to even bother trying to sell it? I like it but it's hard to have fun with a gun you don't shoot much

Attached: 0e2f146657dbc25e0aa28d07c865309358414431a272f6a483cc56289a1faf13.png (1280x905, 242.16K)

Well, seeing as they're not being made anymore, and they were quality shit, I wouldn't sell it. Just save up for the PTR32. Those aren't going anywhere.

I guess I'll buy a giant bulk pack of ammo, shoot it up and then decide from there.

You'd probably be better off buying a vepr

Dude just dremel the chamber until some 5.56 fits and shoot that, it should be fine.

t. bubba