What is the best translation of the Bible and why?

What is the best translation of the Bible and why?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 6.95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gospel-thomas.net/noman.htm
ancient.eu/article/225/enuma-elish---the-babylonian-epic-of-creation---fu/
amazon.co.uk/Biblia-Sacra-Iuxta-Vulgatam-Versionem/dp/3438053039/ref=pd_cp_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ED0Q26XND3P3AN8D41F2
archive.org/details/BibliaDeCasiodoroDeReina1569
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew 1&version=EXB
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew 1&version=TPT
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Standard_Version
global.oup.com/academic/product/the-new-oxford-annotated-bible-with-the-apocrypha-revised-standard-version-expanded-ed-9780195283358
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

KJV
no footnotes

We live in a world where you can read two translations of the Bible… Side by side!

In all seriousness though, NABRE is a nice, balanced translation for a first reading. If you intend on studying the Bible deeply, work your way to more literal translations, perhaps even an Interlinear (with the Koine Greek, Biblical Hebrew and English definitions of the words).

Attached: bibletranslationcompv9.hires.jpg (2400x2000, 1.71M)

kjv

Is The Message the best Bible translation to ever exist, and are all outside the Message-Onlyist Church doomed for eternity?

YES YES YES

Attached: Vulgate_1.jpg (281x464, 14.34K)

Gotta go with Big Red

It is the standard translation for academic and scholarly use. If you want a translation with as little theological bias as possible, this is it.

Attached: the-new-oxford-annotated-bible-with-apocrypha-nrsv-4th-edition-1-638.jpg (638x885, 72.55K)

>an (((ecumenical))) study bible

Authorized Version

please don't suggest that Godless bible to anyone

Attached: annotated study bible cancer.png (890x812, 315.21K)

Is there another way to ensure as little theological bias as possible in a translation than having a diverse, ecumenical translation committee? If it were a committee entirely of Catholics, would that be better?

In that case, I will continue to suggest it to everyone

Attached: Daniel Bryan - YES! YES! YES!.mp4 (1280x720, 6.05M)

Then why not just recommend a (N)RSV bible without all the higher critical cancer?

Don't think I've seen this before. What are they implying? God made the world out of a goddess?
Sounds like something the New Age would eat up,

I gotchu bro
Matthew 5:22
Mark 10:24
Luke 2:33
John 6:47
Acts 2:47
Romans 10:17
1 Corinthians 5:7
2 Corinthians 2:17
Galatians 4:7
1 John 5:7
1 Peter 2:2

They are trying to imply that Genesis is based on stolen material from nearby pagan polytheistic mythology. The Oxford's editors do it fairly regularly throughout the Old Testament footnotes.

You still haven't proven anything there is anything wrong with it

Business as usual for the modern (((scholars))), then.

Read the NRSV verses he posted on their own, then. Jesus was angry, Joseph was not His father, Salvation is not a process or difficult for us, the Trinity exists, and you have to believe in Jesus to be saved.

Those all reflect your personal theological bias and not what the text the New Testament authors actually wrote.

Nice digits, but you're a total heretic if you think that Jesus' father was Joseph and not God.

Picking up Koine Greek and Ancient Hebrew then buying a copy of the Biblia Hebraica Leningradensia, The Dead Sea Scrolls-Study Edition, and the Nestle-Aland 28th Novum Testamentum Graece

KJV
no footnotes
no red letters
Final Destination

I didn't say that. I said it is a more faithful translation of the Greek text. The Greek uses the word πατὴρ, which is unambiguously not "Joseph"

Just use multiple

I fell for the KJV only meme, but by the grace of God I got out of it. Here's my Bible history.

Don't forget the LXX and Samaritan Pentateuch.
Hardmode - Reading Codex Sinaiticus and Vaticanus directly and the original blackletter printing of the KJB.

Someone give me a quick rundown on the best translated catholic bible. The nabre isnt really doing it for me.

We're all forgetting the true translation

Attached: 51VDWZNR7AL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (325x499, 38.75K)

KJB based versions are the ASV which uses an Alexandrian text-type (that's the "corrupted text" in KJOist speak), Breton's Septuagint, Murdock's translation of the Peshitta which is considered to have a majority text-type, and the OSB.
This article about translations of the Coptic Nag Hammadi texts explains why non-gender neutral/inclusive language is more accurate.
gospel-thomas.net/noman.htm

In the Babylonian Enuma Elish the pagan god Marduk splits Tiamat (literally Ocean) in half and from her corpse fashions the heavens and earth.

What? No. The world is fashioned from the mingling of Apsu and Tiamat. Only later on does Marduk slay Tiamat and become the king of gods.

ancient.eu/article/225/enuma-elish---the-babylonian-epic-of-creation---fu/
Tablet 5 goes into Marduk fashioning the earth from her corpse but it's fragmentary, and also kind of lewd so I'm not posting it here.

They're trying to push the meme that the book of Genesis is a ripoff old Babylonian myths, made up by people who haven't read either.

EOB for new and OSB for old.

Oh my..

Where can I get this?

A fair cop.

I'm a fan of the Knox Bible, tbh.

Douay Rheims. It was the official for 5 centuries and is a literal translation of the clementine st jerome vulgate. KJV was based on it. Otherwise OSB for old and EOB for new.

The neo vulgate and its translations are mediocre

Amazon sells the Sixto-Clementine Vulgate (though in a more clean version and with no pictures.
amazon.co.uk/Biblia-Sacra-Iuxta-Vulgatam-Versionem/dp/3438053039/ref=pd_cp_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ED0Q26XND3P3AN8D41F2

It's wonderful and surprisingly small for such a text.

Attached: MSG Onlyism.jpg (244x320, 55.57K)

Douay-Rheims best English translation tbh

although best translation in general is the Vulgate ofc

NET (New English Translation)

Attached: 1258241389_551e541a2a_o.jpg (630x976, 51.5K)

Anything that flat out beats KJV for prose?

Anything that's the easiest and least boring to read.

Attached: hella fckin epic.jpg (250x250, 8.17K)

What is the best Spanish bible translation, or what would be the kjv of the Spanish bible?

Reina-Valera Antigua also know as the Biblia del Oso
Note: "Reina" refers to one of the translators and not to any monarch.
Similarly I used to think Dewey Raimes was a person.

archive.org/details/BibliaDeCasiodoroDeReina1569

Attached: biblia-del-oso-1569-casiodoro-de-reina-D_NQ_NP_824111-MLC20495278474_112015-F.jpg (932x1200, 183.63K)

This.

How well God must like you—
you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon,
you don’t slink along Dead-End Road,
you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College.
Instead you thrill to God’s Word,
you chew on Scripture day and night.
You’re a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.
You’re not at all like the wicked,
who are mere windblown dust—
Without defense in court,
unfit company for innocent people.
God charts the road you take.
The road they take is Skid Row.

Truly, what a crowning achievement for the faith.

Nácar-Colunga

no worse than the apocrypha tbh

What about for Gatholics

I started reading the Vulgate and it's the best translation I've read, but I can read Latin.

Bringing up the Message bible and Da Jesus Book should be a bannable offense, even if you're joking around.

Probably EXB (Expanded Bible) since they provide footnotes within the Scripture to help you understand what is going on. I think the boredom factor stems from the lack of context and the unfamiliarity, and what I consider training wheels will help you read the Bible: biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew 1&version=EXB

I've recently been looking into The Passion Translation (TPT) by Pastor Brian Simmons, only the New Testament and the books of Psalms and Proverbs has been translated, but I can't fully recommend it until I've fully read it: biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew 1&version=TPT

Eventually, of course you should level up and read the DRA or KJV.

Pick one

OP I would say KJV since it is the only version I am away of that wouldn't make God a liar if it were true, which it is true. But since you brought up hard mode I will go straight with Matthew 4:4 instead and say every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God

Why, what's wrong with those translations? Do they make God a liar if they were true against titus 1:2? I'm dead serious, answer me as I am too lazy to look up john 7:1-10, mark 1:2, malachi 3:1, 1 samuel 17:51, 2 samuel 21:19, isaiah 14:12, and revelation 22:16 in them amongst possible others.

New American Bible seems pretty good, but I don't like how it departs quite a lot from a lot of the famous verses.

The Jerusalem Bible or the RSV/NRSV.

This

Attached: navarre-bible-new-testament-set-62826xl.png (900x792, 910.79K)

NRSV is banned from liturgical use in the Orthodox Church.
RSV for the OT and NKJV for the NT seems to be the best combination.

But also, Catholics use the NABRE.

If you're a Catholic, is there any good reason to not simply use the Douay-Rheims?

Is it that brainlets don't understand the thou, liveth and dieth etc?

Attached: 790bb2e4504d533652e827bc2703e1c67502b74023adb773b88e1a63ef56f7f8.jpg (191x255, 17.82K)

I personally use The Expanded Bible - The Autist's Choice™.

Attached: 548018_4_exc.jpg (516x787, 181.45K)

One reason is that it doesn't have "The lord is my shepherd" for Psalm 23 (22). It has the Lord ruleth over me. The Nova Vulgata has The Lord is my Shepherd, but the DR is a translation of the Vulgate which uses rules over me, and is not really the best translation for example. The Lord is my shepherd is so iconic too

I don't think you'd find a KJV like that outside the 1611 version.

Isn't the RSV the one that says the "young woman" will give birth?

I have the Gospels-Acts version of this and the commentary is good, but it seems to rely a bit much on the works of St Jose-Maria Escriva, since virtually every page cites his work.

Personally, no. It really is the best English version there is, with the Knox version being a close second.

I suppose that that's got more to do with the fact that as Anglophones we are more used to the "standard" being the KJV verse than anything else. For instance, also in Ps. 22, the KJV has "My cup runneth over", but in the DR it's "and my chalice which inebriateth me, how goodly is it!"

I found the EXB to be immensely helpful reading the Bible and makes it fun and enjoyable since I don't have the scholarly background. I plan on going through the Bible in a more literal translation next time around and read it in KJV again.

Also you may want to check out The Passion Translation (TPT) by Dr. Brian Simmons although I haven't read through it fully yet (only the NT and Proverbs/Psalms has been translated).

Attached: 74AF74D1-1E2E-4697-9722-7742EB28D74F.jpeg (1024x1020, 158.23K)

Not reading the superior old Latin texts.

One can dismiss the commentary, but still approve of the translation.

"The Lord ruleth me" sounds cooler.

Yes, that's a silly translation of the Latin.

Calix meus inebrians, quam praeclarus est.

ESV. Very clear, very accurate, very orthodox.

The word appears to be related to grazing.

I read there was an ecumenical version of the RSV with a broad Orthodox canon. I want to know if there are any versions of the RSV without archaic pronouns for God only and gender neutral language.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Standard_Version

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (750x1000, 110.14K)

No the latin has changed from the vulgate to the neo-vulgate for that psalm

also best english translation overall despite myself having some issues with it so far has to be the RSV 2CE

Just received Hart's translation in the mail this week. Been astray for over a decade, but looking to rediscover Christianity.

Found it interesting that he makes use of the original Greek 'Logos' in John 1:1, in contrast with 'Word' that seems to be common with most translations.

Thoughts from anyone that's read it? Also, is a literal translation of the NT a good starting point?

Attached: hart.png (421x589, 476.38K)

How does it translate hamartia (sin)? It's a word that has stumped translators til now.

NASB. One of the most literal translations (besides transliterals) and still readable.

Checked a few verses in John where it occurs, and he used sin.

Is there a particular passage I should look into?

According to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance it's 43 occurrences for 264. ἁμαρτάνω (hamartanó), 4 for 265. ἁμάρτημα (hamartéma), and 173 for 266. ἁμαρτία (hamartia).
I'm also seeing it translated that way looking at an ePub file of the book that I found that some user posted one day that was still loaded on my Calibre so it's probably safe to say that's the way it's done throughout the book. Most translations have done the same but I think some may have used "transgression" in some instances.

Why not learn Greek or Hebrew and read the oldest manuscripts we have?

Probably for the tradition and easier than learning two languages.

Once I finish it, mine.

Digits proclaim the greatest bible translation being written.

o>>632625
global.oup.com/academic/product/the-new-oxford-annotated-bible-with-the-apocrypha-revised-standard-version-expanded-ed-9780195283358

?