Commander and General formation

How do the thinking minds get educated in order to lead their soldiers into battle? I suppose there's an obvious theoretical part with studying involved, but do they have access to any kind of simulators to turn them into the best commanders possible?

Attached: commanders at work.jpg (480x360, 24.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel_(wargame)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_General_Staff
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you never heard of Prussia?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel_(wargame)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_General_Staff
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_War

Mein Neger.

Haha, basiert

The US has a War College.
Literally they get a Masters degree in commanding troops in war.

I would like to get more modern stuff, actually.

Yes but what kind of simulation they use so they don't have to send actual soldiers to their deaths just to teach them?

Wargames.

They have table top games.
they have strategic and tactical computer simulators.
You have to understand, anything above an O-3 isn't on the front lines unless he's a pilot.
Most is simply text or aural in nature; sometimes both.
Some of the sims are about being able to process a lot of info at once, other's are about mitigating losses and effecting a positive outcome when SHTF.
None of it is like COD or Red Alert.
What little is graphical is very simplified so that the students can focus on decision making and the computer can calculate outcomes.
They try to make the sims as close to the equipment they would use IRL. (a room full of juniors looking at radar sweeps, camera feeds, maps, ect all shouting information at the student)
They will mock up and run through battles from throughout history, from the earliest recorded battles up to modern wars be waged right now.
They look at obscure stuff too like "what would it have taken for the Zulus to have beaten the British.

Sounds like the assburger stuff I would enjoy. Aren't board a bit too little on the number side of things? i thought they would play computer wargames of some kind, and no, I didn't think they would play shitty RTSes like Red Alert.

Attached: assburgercolor.jpg (600x683, 32.3K)

If you're referring to my "table top" reference, no.
First, the Tables they play on are huge.
Avalon Hill games were based on the same system that the US war college uses but MUCH smaller scale.
Second, They don't try to represent every individual person but squads, platoons, or even whole divisions.
Third, the rules aren't ridgedly set in stone.
If a student wants to do something unexpected, they'll find a way to allow it.

I imagine a bunch of generals playing wargame:rd and getting assmad cause they got helirushed by some vdv deck

Attached: 1457454622187.jpg (487x460, 77.44K)

To get close try one of the Combat Mission games. Perfect to LARP as Batallion commander. Another game series that could be of interest is Close Combat. I have not played it myself but it was recommended by some Muhreen Platoon leader to enhance your leading skills. Found it in a murdercube file.

I imagine a bunch of generals playing warmage:rd and getting assmad cause FUCKING APACHES AND KONKURS-M! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Anyone who plays RD for the realism has lost their mind.

don't forget that it takes an accurate frontal salvo from ten t-34/85s to destroy an abrams because HEAT mechanics
the game is still the best you can get for some multiplayer fun though, perhaps one can try playing something like steel panthers but it's a pain in the ass to find a sparring partner for 2d turn based games

Bump.

Bumping again.

How do you even test for that?

And I can confidently tell you that shouting information that you are receiving is far more pleasant than it has any right to be. Sure, it's not glorious, but fucking hell, you're in a comfortable place and you get to have a fairly decent situational awareness without having any of the downsides, like actually having to carry responsibility when SHTF or being out in the rain.

Well some reservist courses have used ArmA2 for NCO training, and atleast britbongs are probably still using Virtual Battlespace.

Logistics
Logistics
Military history
A bit of engineering
Logistics

What makes you think real world leadership is any different?

These are the development stages of a soldier:
1. Civilian - Thinks he's made of light instead of flesh and blood.
2. Boot camp - Still thinks he's invincible, but now can follow orders
3a. First "battles" - Fires on enemy without enemy ever having the ability to return fire, feels like a god, slightly loses ability to follow orders
3b. Sees aftermath of an actual battle - Sees a friend catch a bullet to the guts and while trying to poke his bleeding shitty intestines back into him, loses his feeling of invincibility
4. First real battle he gets shot at - No ability to follow orders, feels like the worm he is, hides behind the nearest solid thing, hugs his rifle and cries to his mama
5. Xth battle - He's the sole survivor of several fireteams (or tank crews or whatever) getting wiped out, despite the fact that his fireteam hid real well and diddee mao when the going got tough….. begins to clue in that shooting back is a better survival tactic than hiding or running
6. X+Yth battle - Realizes that following orders works even better than shooting back and keeping the enemys heads down

If you're a good leader, you can reduce X and Y.
That's basically the sum total of your job.

On average with western troops and the troops of dictatorships get stuck in 3a and never evolve into proper soldiers, because they're mostly firing at civilians or what amounts to criminal gangs like the taliban. The few people who made the full evolution are Soviets in WWII and Vietnamese.

I disagree entirely.
A good leader is much more than a morale boost to your troops, or a tutor in "how to forget you are scared and act like you are told".
In my opinion a good leader has the following traits and abilities.
A leader who waits around and does nothing just because he doesn't know where exactly the enemy is will not succeed in making his men win the fight. He will wait and wait and wait until the enemy has encircled him.
We all know the standard "No plan survives contact with the enemy" line, but it's true. Your enemies are people, and people sometimes react reasonably, and sometimes they don't. Being able to notice and adjust when your enemy doesn't do what you expected them to do is important.
This is what the average soldier will notice about their leader. Bad leaders don't necessarily give bad orders, but they give orders badly. They will either spend too much time mulling over their words and miss a critical moment, or constantly talk without saying anything. This is very important, because badly worded orders are not only annoying, they can be confusing, dangerous and deadly.
Do as I say, not as I do is the worst a leader can be. It's in the word itself: leader. He is meant to lead the way by example.

A good leader has no influence on the development of his troops. He is their leader, not their mother. They will overcome fear eventually, or not.

It's not about morale, how did you miss the point so UTTERLYU!!?>!??!

Wow. Name a single lieutenant that can't manage that.

Attached: moron.gif (1307x734, 803.92K)

You haven't been in the military in recent years, have you?

Out of every 5,000 lieutenants, only 1 is competent. Now you know how bad things really are.

The military nowadays is all about babysitting shitskins and wom*n, and not actually about fighting anymore.

Name the average nine year old child who can't do that. Those are skills you learn on the playground.

Making a decision without information?? Fucking wow that's impressive, it's not like four billion retards are using cellphones without understanding them.

You seriously underestimate the incompetence of the modern military.

Talking about theories, not realities here. Realities is the second part of the comment… I specifically said most western soldiers don't partake in that entire evolution process.

The US Marines used Darkest Hour once.

I think a few western military's use a variety of grand strategy games.

Arma is great is great under the right conditions.

You can basically train everything with Arma if you have the right people and mods for the game. If you play with (former) soldiers it is either hit or miss. Some of them are the best guys you can play with others are the most arrogant pricks you will encounter online. Arrogance and elitism is generally widespread in the (German) Arma community though.

:^)

Because in real life communications break down, morale breaks down, situational awareness is always delayed and has some guesswork involved, and you're not in combat most of the time so people need to be fed, stimulated in right amounts or morale and people start breaking down. And you're not going to discover new, undiscovered layers of human retardation.