Sleeping Gear

Not exactly weapons-related, but this is the closest thing to a living /out/ board on pigchan.

How do animal hides compare to commercial sleeping mats in terms of insulation? I need to get a sleeping mat, but the inflatable ones don't appeal to me because punctures are something nobody has time for. The foam ones seem okay and quite cheap but they are a little bulky (an animal hide can be folded/rolled in all sorts of ways; a foam mat can only be rolled one way) not to mention it may not tolerate UV very well.

Attached: 1448734016766-1.png (900x1350, 908.89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

carinthia.eu/bags/en/shop/Sleeping-Bag/Defence 6/?card=1168&list=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Literally just get yourself an animal hide them mate.

Yeah, but that shit isn't cheap.

what if she rolls over?

I've always used air myself, never had a problem with punctures and I carry a patch kit just in case. But if you're worried about punctures they make hybrid mats that are a thin layer of foam that also inflates. Not nearly as bulky as full-foam (but still thicker than a good air mattress), not as likely to get punctures as it's a thicker material, and if it does puncture and you're a retard that didn't bring a patch kit it still has some semblance of insulation from the foam. We've got a camp supplies gear over in if you're interested, I don't believe mattresses were mentioned but we did talk some about sleeping bags.

Then don't lie on a patch of cacti, or a shit-ton of rocks. Prepare your shit before you seep. It's not that hard.

Get a good sleeping bag with a sturdy cover and you won't even need a sleeping mat.
Pic related. It's the one we were issued.
Back then it was -20°C and I slept almost completely naked in that thing without a tent or mat. I woke up well rested but wet from sweat because it was so warm and ultra-comfy. At first I thought that the snow on top of it must have melted through, but no, the outside was completely cold and the inside simply caught the heat so well that nothing got out.
They are rare on surplus sites, but the cover makes them 100% waterproof, and they are so robust that you can hand them down to your grand-grand-children. One of the few things where the military actually bothered to buy something that works effectively instead of cheaping out, because they know that sleepy soldiers bitch the loudest.

Also: How do streloks keep away insects and parasites when sleeping innawoods? I like to pack a bundle of dried lavender into my sleeping bag, which not only creates a pleasant smell, but also keeps away the larger bugs.

Attached: bag.jpg (1200x1200, 104.73K)

What is it called and who makes/made them?

The best solution I've found is a sleeping mat using those long balloons typically used for making balloon animals. It's popular with ultra low weight backpackers.

You can reuse the balloons by clamping them with a small binder clip and a bag of a hundred balloons doesn't cost much for when they break. For the weight and volume it packs down to it can't be beat. With a bit a sewing on a cheap sleeping bag liner you can make your own for next to nothing.

Attached: balloonbed-review-5.jpg (400x300, 33.9K)

That works if you're really budget minded, but Jesus Christ don't call your nigger-rigged parade float the "best solution."

Seconding who makes that. I have sneaking suspicion it's on the heavy side but curious nonetheless.

fug yes the bundeswehr sleeping bag is so fugging comfy

Attached: 1422247267316-3.jpg (733x798, 137.59K)

They are produced by Carinthia.

Two Carinthians?

carinthia.eu/bags/en/shop/Sleeping-Bag/Defence 6/?card=1168&list=1
This is the closest I could find on their site. Do you reckon it would be as good?

Should be Carinthia has a good name.

They are officially called "Schlafsack, Mumienform", which translates to "sleeping-bag, mummy-type". I have no idea who makes them, but they are still being produced.

It's a little over 2 kilos and can be packed into the size of two kevlar helmets strapped together. It should come with a (waterproof) bag you can stuff it into. We were ordered to stuff it, and not roll it, because otherwise the filling material would get damaged or whatever. It works, and you can squeeze it down to an acceptable size.

Looks like it. You could always ask.
You may want to get a used one for less than half the price of a new one.

My dad used to do geomatics up in Northern Ontario. He swore by these mummy bags. Unsure if they are made by the same people but his is rated for -40.

"Mummy" is just the shape. They are wider at the top and narrower towards the feet. This allows you to move your arms around during sleep, without adding more volume/mass to the bag. Some people prefer this over normal rectangular sleeping bag (me too), because you usually sleep with your legs together but with your arms spread out.

Attached: shape.png (1000x1000, 18.77K)

What about hammocks

They do make hammocks that are insulated like sleeping bags, and come with a rainfly to protect from the elements, which have their own benefits+tradeoffs to tents.
–hammock is lighter than sleeping bag+pad+tent (in most cases)
–guaranteed comfort–inclines, rocks, roots, etc., don't matter anymore
–separated from anything that crawls on ground
–less likely to get wet
–easier to stay cool in warm weather

As long as you are in an area with woods nearby:
You would be mostly safe from insects in non-subzero areas, and in sub-zero areas you would get some distance between your body and the frozen soil.
No need to carry around a piece of cloth either, although a piece of cloth like a hammock is much appreciated in most circumstances. Zeltbahn Hurra!

I just got a camping hammock and I love it. Heavy-duty carabiners, hammock straps instead of ropes, attached 6" bag that the whole thing packs into. Takes seconds to set up between a couple trees. Put your sleeping bag in it and you're just as cozy as anywhere else, and way more comfortable than being on the ground. Drape a tarp over it and it's weatherproof. I've been sleeping in it in my backyard on weekends just to get used to it before my cold-weather camp trip in a couple months.

Tl;dr i'm never setting up another tent again unless I'm with my family.

hammocks are the shit, i went from mats to hammocks and i am never going back

Question. When sleeping in an uncovered bed innawoods, how do you stay safe from fleas, ticks, mosquitos, and so on? Most insects and spiders won't bother you because they don't want to crawl all the way to get to you, but these little bloodsuckers like to fly and jump and fall out of trees. You can't spray repellant on yourself in the middle of the night and it isn't safe or smart to leave an open fire or to burn candles all night, so what can you do? Catching Lyme disease during a nap sounds pretty shitty. I've always used tents myself so I have no experience with avoiding bites in a mat or a hammock.

I've never actually slept on a hammock for some ungodly reason, but I remember hearing or reading a tip regarding cold weather-hammock stuff. Supposedly you're supposed to put a sleeping mat between you and the hammock to compensate for lost insulation effectiveness caused by the compression.

You don't. Your only protection is your clothing. And a mosquito net. You can get some pretty neat mosquito nets and hoods if you bother to look for them. Other than that, you just have to suck it up and enjoy your new friends and diseases.

the heat loss is real yes, i slept a couple nights in the ardennes without an underquilt, -3 celsius, i lived but it is not an experience i would recommend, if you're planning to go out in cold weather you will end up packing as much as having brought a regular setup and a bivi back, but in the summertime an inflatable mat and a good sleeping bag are all you need

and a tarp obviously

What’s this suppose to look like?

Yeah, camp hammocks come with either a mat or an underquilt that you use on colder trips. Haven't bought one myself as I have a very nice tent and I like it, but when I've tried tehm they're very comfortable.