Unbubba-ing a Mauser

I'm trying to get my hands on an original stock and handguard for a "Serbian" Mauser Model 1924, but I've had no luck on all the major selling sites (gunboards, gunbroker, ebay, etc.) and local gun shops.

This is my first rifle, so I'm trying to spruce it up. Even a Yugo M47/47 stock will do (though it's hard to find one with the bands and hanguard included), but I'd really like to get an original pre-war one.

Any suggestions on where else to look?

Attached: Mauser_2.JPG (3264x2448 820.47 KB, 802K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fox-military.com/en/products.php?w=1
gunpartscorp.com/
ssporters.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I fucked up a little bit. Meant to say a Yugo *M24/47*.

You picked an absolutely terrible time to do it since everyone and their dog wants to remilitarize surplus rifles.

Parts for yugo guns tend to be a bitch to find since they were never really parted out like everything else. If you're willing to deal with some border dickery I might be able to find a gun to part out.

Fuck. This is my first rifle and I got it for a damn good price at $250 given the only non-matching parts are the stock and floor plate + a pristine barrel and markings.

(I got this at a local gun show. Jesus christ, I never thought I'd see the day where a the cheapest 91/30 is $350)

Thanks leaf-friend, I take back 0.01% of what I've said about you guys.

I'll take whatever leads you can give.

Attached: goddammit.png (500x348, 83.93K)

Could always try and find an M24/47 that's been sporterized in a way that doesn't chop the stock, like one with a drilled and tapped receiver. Can't un-drill it so it will never be a correct firearm again so swapping the sporter stock onto it won't be a travesty. At least bubba did a decent job on this one. It's tasteful for a Mauser sporter.

I'm glad it's happening though. Let's hope the trend doesn't reverse in 20 years and they all get chopped up again.

Well I never!

In all honesty the sporter stock is very nice. Who ever bubba'd it had at least some respect for the rifle. The only permanent mod done was a slight bend in the bolt handle, and even then it looks professionally done.

No tapping on the receiver either, which I'm glad b/c imo the mauser was meant to be an irons only rifle. though for the sake of practicality I might get that pic rail that attaches to the rear sight mount and put a long eye relief optic

I just want to get an original stock for the sake of aesthetics and perhaps resale value down the road.

is it honestly that rare? or are you talking about the fact that it's well over 60 years old?

Either way, I knew this wouldn't be an easy task. That's why I'm asking you fags.

Don't ever take that shit back, most of the time they fucking deserve the bullying. is a prime example t.burger Anyway, I haven't a fucking clue on importation of not barrel/receiver/bolt because I found a doner gun.

Attached: dsc_0155_4.jpg (700x200, 70.42K)

Goddammit. I don't have the funds or the time to deal with importing an entire gun from leafistan.

Thanks anyways, man.

It's both rare and old, parts for it haven't been made in almost a century. I restored an antique cabinet for my parents, ask me where I went shopping for parts.

Hint the fucking forest

You may have to do this from scratch, but think of all the things you'll learn while you're doing it.

I was figuring stripping the stock and anything not ATF approved off given the barrel was demilled to eurospecs drilled out barrel and building myself a real nice bench gun with the receiver. I don't need the stock and everything else for that.

That's an option on the table, certainly. My likely course of action from what I've learned now is to search for a more the common M24/47 furniture, pray to the Zig Forumsube for a Serb M24 stock to pop up, and if all else fails, maybe make one myself. I have some minor carpentry experience, but damn is it probably gonna be a clusterfuck for me trying to make one

Well my dude, I don't have much money to give you for the furniture (and I'd need everything from screws to barrel bands). But if you were willing to make a donation to the charity of MyBrokeAss™, I'd be willing to cover as much of the shipping costs that I can.

That's how much I spent on my m24/47 still caked in cosmoline you'll like your serb mauser when she's all fixed up though

Attached: 5fc3f96e21ef0c68a908c6dcf617495bef0c11dd887db7dd47ff9ecf07633d0c.jpg (600x600, 50.75K)

This wasn't a "Bubba" job.
This was obviously a professional stock maker fitting a sporter stock on a rifle.
That said, I know a pro who could do a repo stock for it

Repro stock would be best, I think.

Checked all my usual haunts for unusual crap. Super surprised I didn't find any spare stocks with how common these rifles were just a few years back.

They really went up in price. Not surprising though mine is an absolute joy to shoot. Really one of the better incarnations of the venerable Mauser '98.

Yeah, I'm really glad I got it when I did. I might try to take an elk with it next year

Goddamn I love being an American. As pictured in the OP, that's how the rifle came when I got it. I just got lucky that the guy selling the mauser was desperate to move some stock.

I don't think he knew how much just having the serb crest and matching bolt&barrel would raise the value of the gun. To be fair, neither did I until I did my research after getting the rifle.

Tbh you're right. I just called it bubba'd b/c saying "sporterized" isn't nearly as funny.

And I'd appreciate some info on getting a repro stock. I likely can't afford it right now, but it's good to have options.

Happy hunting my dude. Use some of the Yugo surplus sniper ammo. 198gr, pretty cheap, and averages ~2100 fps on the few rounds i've chronoed.

Attached: tfw_american.jpg (564x692, 71.95K)

>my own sword "told" its name to me—even though it's a cheaper one, it is not bereft of magic and likely made in a factory, though do factory-made weapons have any spirit to them?

Attached: hurrr.gif (960x686, 170.34K)

lol wut

Hi are you from the hackerbase known as "4Chan"?

Attached: better_not_be_retarded.jpg (609x720, 69.3K)

Fuck. Dicking with a Serbian Mauser with the Karadjordjevic crest intact. Bubba you have gone too far!

Thanks, I actually got over 200 rounds of PPU and Sellier and Bellot soft points for ~30¢ a round from someone who was trying to move stock and was planning on using some of that.

Read the thread before posting and also dicking guns sounds really dangerous, but also kind of lewd.

Attached: flustered_reimu.jpg (1200x1200, 534.11K)

blayd
*although they are not the same thing
Moe =! loli, but loli can be moe.

Attached: Death_Boner.png (814x883, 815.03K)

I'd probably charge 150, that includes shipping. This is providing said parts gun doesn't go missing in the next few days or I forget about it due to a fuckton of other projects I have on my plate.

Attached: 916bde1405c580f1f820fd5eeb62f702e6114b894c8038e3aa11c67a5343c005.png (614x900, 568.01K)

Referencing the original Bubba, not OP who obviously is trying to right the wrong.
hehe

shitpost = shit reply

I've lurked 4/k/ for about a year and then switched to Zig Forums after GG. Never gone back since

Not everything is a shitpost, you black homosexual.
ur dum

hehehe

no u

You got a burner email or something I could use to contact you more about this?

Goddammit, didn't mean to post that. Disregard my autism.

From someone who's been down this rabbit hole before you: Pay for a finished repro stock so you can just bolt it together and go. Inletting is a BITCH to get right, especially when you're just cutting your teeth on it.

Where does one even get a repro 24/47 stock though?

I'll take your words to heart. I got a Leaf here who's offering the furniture of a M24/47, but if that falls through, then probably getting a repro is the next best thing.

You have a ballpark for how much that might cost?

Nikkareserve @protonmail.com Hit me up whenever.

Depends on who is doing it

I rarely check/use mine, but now I guess I have an excuse.

I'll contact you within a day or so.

Attached: Cultured.jpg (1024x576, 51.01K)

I picked up a sportered wartime K98k for a song intending to do the same thing. She's so fucking accurate in the semi sporter stock that I don't want to touch her though.

My friend is a professional stock maker and gun smith.
He does it for about $400 in walnut, professionally beds it, and hand oils it.
It usually takes about 4 months for turn around as he gets original hardware.
You aren't the first guy who wanted to put military dress back on a rifle that's been sporterized.
If you know a local gunsmith, you can order a stock (just google them, there's several sellers) and have him fit and be it for you.

oh fuck, I might as well make the rifle a heirloom at that point.

I doubt I'll be able to afford such work, but if you could pass your friends info to [email protected] it's a shitty Metal Gear reference I'd be happy to give him a call should I win the lottery.

A shitty (and I do mean shitty) repo stock will run you $150 and your gun will shoot like shit if you don't bed it.
A decent gunsmith will run you $100+ to bed depending on where you live.
email sent

email replied

thanks again, man

You know what I didn't say?
His shop is in Tacoma, Washington.

This seems as good a place as any to post about my bubba'd Mauser, also bought at a gun show, also for $250.
Bubba cut her up but the parts that remain all match. I haven't taken her shooting yet. Is it worth it to restore a rifle like this? A bayonet and sling would be cool but mostly I just want a nice old gun to shoot.

Attached: 20181013_204625_HDR.jpg (4160x3120 2.38 MB, 3.81M)

The stock is pretty hacked up but is any of them metal damaged?

I can't get it to come out in a picture, but there is a lot of surface rust on the barrel. Other than that, the whole thing needs a good cleaning, but the barrel seems to be the only flaw metal wise.

Front sight doesn't look original. Can we get a look at the side rail? Barrel length as well. Probably a Kar98a but these details will confirm. Good luck finding a stock for it. They can be made with quite a bit of work from Gewehr 98 stocks, but good luck finding those either. Get your wallet out and troll GunBroker and eBay. These guys fox-military.com/en/products.php?w=1 may be able to make one, seen some good reviews. Will be a few hundred bucks. May not be listed but he can make it.

Managed to get some decent pictures of the rust

The front sight is marked 50 same as the rest of the rifle. 23 inches from the tip of the barrel to where I imagine the barrel ends, 31 inches from the tip of the barrel to the safety. The side does say kar 98 so I assume it's a kar 98.
This was an impulse purchase and I know nothing about Mausers, so I appreciate the assistance
Splitting this into two posts since my camera takes large pictures

Attached: 20181013_214312.jpg (4656x3492 2.75 MB, 4.03M)

It depends on you, doesn't it? Restoration projects are always a labor of love; even assuming you do all the labor yourself you'll never get back out of it the money you put into it in parts. The sum population of these rifles will only ever diminish, how much do you value their preservation?

Assuming your actual question was "How feasible is this proposal?", it doesn't look that bad. The worst part would be finding a new stock.

Sage for doublepost

Attached: 20181013_214128.jpg (4656x3492 4.65 MB, 4.38M)

Just noticed these markings which probably mean something as well

I meant more in a historical sense, should I throw out a butchered stock that may have seen WWI to replace it with an intact replica?

Attached: 20181013_220155.jpg (4656x3492, 6.42M)

Not unless the remaining portion of the original stock has markings that prove some provenance, I wouldn't see why not.
I've seen where people have spliced on a repair section for just that reason, but then you're getting into advanced-level cabinet making.

I must have just been looking at it funny, that is the correct front site. This is a Kar98a. My suggestion, should you wish to restore it, is to get a repro stock and keep the original. I often do this with rifles I get. If a part is damaged I will buy a replacement but also keep the original for historical provenance. Best of both worlds. You get a correct shootable rifle and you preserve the history by not throwing out parts. The sporterized stock will have hardly any value on its own anyways unless used as a donor to splice another broken stock.

Thanks for the help, I'll do some looking for stocks and bayonets and such, but for right now I think I'll just clean the rifle and enjoy it as is. Don't really have another few hundred dollars to invest in it right now anyways.
If I do ever get around to restoring it, I'll be sure and post it here.

There is literally nothing wrong with lewd guns.

Attached: 84d4dc09f022439c5c9e16cbaf23483fe9cb2552be92fc0104a1032fb5cb2a4a.jpg (536x688, 40.42K)

I wouldn't even call that a bubba job. Care was made in the modifications to suit the user's need. While also not going wild with the mods.
If you kept it as is, it wouldn't be a sin. Just keep that in mind. It would look good if it was as issued; but as long as the barrel is good, the crown undamaged and the bolt solid, it will do you well.

most likely acceptance/rearsenal markings from a state armory (hence the crowns and ornate letters)

Just stop spreading your cancer.

This thread reminded me of my own unbubba-ing project I need to finish. I have a 1941 G series Portuguese commissioned Oberndorf Mauser I bought in 2001 for $100. It's all matching with no import marks. It's missing the correct stock (I found a 1938 Portuguese stock but it's configured differently) the front sight hood, barrel band spring, cleaning rod and a set screw. I found most of the stuff at gun shows but I also wasted money on some incorrect parts.
Numrich has a lot of various parts but I think their re-pro stocks are sold out. gunpartscorp.com/
I also heard about this place from from a co-worker who's grandfather was a serial sporterizer he actually did good work from the example I saw, that now appears to be closed, fuck.
ssporters.com/
They had stacks of surplus rifles and parts. I guess I shouldn't have waited until I had the time to drive up there.

Really? Fucking really? So much of a newfag you call them meme arrows?

You're obviously from cuckchan because of your shitty posting habits. Learn to greentext, you're still doing it wrong idiot.

Yeah he's definitely from 4chan,I've taken a few peeks back at that trainwreck of a website. Most of the posters don't even know how to greentext.
It's pretty much just edgy reddit at this point.