Want to convert to Orthodox christianity

Anyone have any ideas how I can move forward?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 12.27.09.png (846x858, 1.37M)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/yETt5fd
youtube.com/channel/UC7raG3cyJT-WfidKNigfRkg
orthodoxyouth.co.uk/
youtube.com/channel/UCmD6XEygStFtWN_3ReZWXGg
orthodox-london.org/
oca.org
eospirituality.com/2016/01/on-dreams-by-metropolitan-hierotheos-of.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Read the Bible and the church fathers.

Do you already go to an Orthodox parish?

If you have trouble finding one, maybe you could check out a Catholic parish near you?

Also, yeah, the discord servers for Ortho Christians tend to be filled with teenage LARPers from Zig Forums.

If anything, feel free to join us on the official Zig Forums discord: discord.gg/yETt5fd

God bless, mate.

Attached: DU7bzKFUQAAiW53.jpg (900x1200, 247.82K)

Get saved and join a Baptist church

Any near me seem to be strictly only for immigrants (greeks/russians/serbians) and nobody else really.

joined the discord anyway, thanks

Interesting. I hope you find a community soon. Like I said, always feel free to visit a Catholic parish and see if you like it. Catholicism has a long history in the UK. :)

Awesome, feel free to introduce yourself. We'll be happy to help with anything!

Attached: 17203092_10155114322024204_7955965793642184930_n.jpg (922x960, 143.7K)

Also, don't take my post the wrong way as trying to advertise Catholicism. I just think that having an IRL Christian community is important. For example, I'm Catholic, but if I was in an area with no available Catholic church, I'd probably go to an Orthodox church.

God bless

That's the thing with Orthodoxy, it's made up of primarily ethnic churches. Greeks go to Greek churches, Serbs to Serbian, etc. Since you're a Brit, your bishop is the Patriarch of the West ie the successor of st. Peter in Rome, not the Serbian bishop of London or whatever.

Also, read up on your great countryman st. Thomas More

If you believe the Orthodox Church is where you belong, ignore the memes and flaws and seek for a good church.
t. Catholic in London

I do not understand, why the orthodox church? You do know that they're heretics right?
Have you read your KJV? Why not join the Anglican church instead?
The orthodox church commits idolatry and prioritizes tradition over scripture.

Attached: Anderson PBUH.jpg (557x513, 341.49K)

Why do you figure it's for immigrants only? Just go to one of them and see. If you're worried about being ethnically excluded, go to an Antiochian parish. Out west, they tend to be full of converts, with much fewer arabs than you might expect. Antiochian orthodox are known to be especially welcoming to outsiders. I'm not greek, but the greek parish I attend has been incredibly welcoming, so there's that.

why do you think they will not receive you? I'm sure they will be legit interested in you. Maybe you will get the attention of that slavic qt.

I had a look at the Anglican church but it's logo is pink, it seems to be SJW as hell and everyone is over the age of 90. It's like the worst of all things combined.

I've emailed them yesterday night, they have an active website and community so I am going to see how they reply first.

Their website seems to be written in such a way "this day is for greek services…. this day for serbian…" etc. Makes you feel like it's all for expats

everyone is over the age of 90
How can you expect to see young people when everyone either becomes an atheist or a heretic?
All we have now is progressive Christians and old people, we need young men like you to secure the future of our church, I must also tell you, please don't choose church for lifestyle.
There's no salvation inside the Orthodox church.

Attached: Cgi0p5FW0AA9K1S.jpg (590x613, 69.22K)

AMEN

It's common for orthodox churches in the english-speaking world to use both english and their ethnic language. At my parish, during vespers/compline/orthros, they alternate between greek and english. I don't know any greek, but I can still follow along with the printout. I imagine in some places they use less english and more greek. I'm reading here that at Prophet Elias Greek Orthodox Church in Berkshire, there is an english service on the second Sunday of each month. That might be a worthwhile opportunity to go and see. I don't know what other parishes are around.

that's the guy I've emailed as I live near it.

Pardon me, I can't into geography. How close is Oxford? Looks like there are a few worthwhile parishes over there, like St Nicholas the Wonderworker

Seems very close - only costs 6-10 pound as well.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 13.55.12.png (918x936, 100.03K)

Try to find your nearest Eastern parish, if not possible then go to a Roman one.

The Anglican church commits the same "idolatry" as the eastern church depending on if you go to a high Anglican church…

EXTRA ANGLICANISM NULLA SALUS

WHEN WILL THESE FILTHY SCHISMATICS RECOMMUNE WITH THE QUEEN

They should've gone with the Puritans attempts to purge the church of popish idolatry

Don't make us send you to the colonies again.

sending the theological weirdos to the colonies was in retrospect a REALLY, REALLY bad idea

What do you mean?

Attached: magic underwear.jpg (425x319, 21.25K)

Lots up London Town

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 18.52.00.png (1176x964, 950.02K)

Next Sunday I might get the ol' train and and take a look. will read up on a few and see which is hte best

Most of them seem to be Greek, like you said, I used to live opposite one (St Andrews) and observing from the outside it did seem to be a bit of an ethnic club but I never attended (I'm not even an orthobro) so what do I know. Someone said the Antiochian ones are normally very open - St. Boltoph's Bishopsgate has a youtube channel and all their services are in English I seem to remember reading on their website.

youtube.com/channel/UC7raG3cyJT-WfidKNigfRkg

Look like the priest is involved with this also, a UK 'youth' (up to 35ish) initiative with a weekend coming up in Essex in May that could be a good place to meet people, seek counsel and ask questions. orthodoxyouth.co.uk/

youtube.com/channel/UCmD6XEygStFtWN_3ReZWXGg

orthodox-london.org/

looks nice here - what should i wear to go to such a place like this

Like I said I'm not an orthobro and never attended a service, but I wouldn't think anything different from any other church service - nothing too scruffy or loud or crass (thinking open Hawaiian shirt over a bright green Incredible Hulk t shirt, shots and flip flops or something) but no need to go super smart - probably best keep it modest and smart casual if you've got the wardrobe to accomodate that, if not, I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'll leave for orthobros to answer better than me.

I have an office job so I have formal attire - maybe dark jeans and a dark coat would be ok for them anyway. Don't want to look like a prick.

Spoken by someone who has never attended Liturgy. Nice idol of your idol though.

Go to them

You tried that in Ireland
And you paid for that, Ireland stayed faithful to the Catholic Church. And eventually overthrowed the Eternal Anglo.

Hmmm

Why even go on…

asides the meme's here, I think this site will prove useful
oca.org
Yes, its a webpage of church of America, but I find it generally good page for Anglophones to start their education on Orthodoxy.
Sorry if it isn't too much, but I'm generally bad at this.

I emailed the orthodox church in the UK telling them I'd like to join and so on.

Their response was really aggressive actually, but maybe that's just their style. A few lines from the email i got

Damn, sounds like an Italian tailor when you enter his atelier and ask for a new suit…

This is really…weird to be honest. Especially this part
This is quite an anomaly that I never heard of. You may try to email the other church?
As for the second one, it is somewhat (but not totally) understandable, as there have been massive numbers of converts to Orthodoxy lately in the west, but it is largely due to "Orthos are sooo conservative and based and I can Zig ForumsLARP there" or "Orthos are skyrim greybeards that can summon bears with a shout". So, uh, yeah, people tend to get skeptical to new converts because of this, sadly.

In generally tho, I would advise you to write to other churches as well, if there are possibilities. Choosing a good priest (who will also be your mentor or whatever it's called in english) is very important in all Christian denominations, including Orthodoxy.

Attached: DQ366OpVQAA5nXp.jpg (1200x675, 82.82K)

Is this man the Orthodox Pope?

I was welcomed nicely at my Greek Orthodox parish. The priest was ethnically Canadian though. My only complaint was that it was all old people mostly and some little kids with their parents. I feel like I stick out hard. Feels bad.

Sometimes orthodox are like this. Most of the time it's because they don't want anybody to half-assedly join the church. You must want it a lot, and even be willing to suffer for the faith. Don't get upset. Pray for whoever sent you this letter.

This. Every catechumen is a soul to be saved. You conform by following in someone's walk.

That's fairly unusual.
Could you post the text of the email you sent?

That does seem a little odd. Mostly it's true, but poorly worded, but this bit is particularly starnge:

Any priest would have the authority to bring you into Orthodoxy. He would have an obligation–to you, to his bishop, and to God–to make sure that you where actually sincere, and had a reasonable proportionate to your intellectual capacity grasp of what Orthodoxy actually is, but any parish priest or hieromonk could make that decision.

It's possible that he means well, but is just clumsy at explaining things, at least in English, and/or responds poorly to ignorance and misunderstanding. Regardless he's probably not ideal for leading you through the catechumenate process, so I'm inclined to agree with the other people who've suggested trying one of the other local parishes.

Orthodoxy is the meme among 17 year old trad spergs these days. He can tell from a mile away you'll join for a few months, try to chat up all the girls in church then leave.

You are being too judgemental. Only God can read hearts of men and yet you somehow know what he desires and will do in the future? Stop doing that.

I'm in my mid twenties and am not some edgy idiot looking to get my cock wet.

I had a follow up and I think I may have triggered them by mentioning I was once an Anglican.

I told him I was still interested

Also this sounds a bit odd but is anyone in L O N D O N or nearby who also wants to give this a go on Sunday?

if he actually said that, top kek, good bants

Guys, a follow up.

After the awful email exchange I did some reflection as to why I disliked catholicism.

I couldn't really find a valid reason other than I hate the Irish.

Last night I had a dream of visiting a catholic church and having a wonderful time. Probably just a dream, but I have found the nearest Catholic church and have emailed the priest.

I understand I can't do communion until I'm a real Catholic.

But I'm still going to go have a looksie.

Attached: 1519349084388.png (560x544, 496.95K)

My ID appears to have changed as It's been a while, but I assure you I'm OP as OP won't post again on that ID as it was me.

also the "i hate the irish" comment is tongue in cheek before paddy gets uppity on me

Hey KGB

What, the one that ordains trans-gender priests? Of whom half the clergy are Atheists? That already supports Muslims more than Christians?

Nope. The continued exodus of Anglicans (along with Lutherans, Baptists etc) back to the Mother Church is evidence enough that the rebellious offspring have no future. One nice side effect of all this degeneracy I guess - certainly helped in gradually getting people remembering WHY all hierarchy and Tradition is so important.

Good. I know the Roman Catholic Church cops a lot of flack (often rightly so), but it's still the final bulwark of Christianity.

I converted myself - I was attracted to what I read of Christ, which bore very little resemblance to what I found in Protestant churches. Best decision I ever made.

I honestly think it's the best hope humanity has, old and rickety as it seems. As times get darker, it'll be the last fall background of sanity against the rising tide of degeneracy and darkness we're seeing.

KGB?

Don't fall for it.
eospirituality.com/2016/01/on-dreams-by-metropolitan-hierotheos-of.html

Anglicans, man

Bless your heart, user.

I didn't follow the thread - did you attend Divine Liturgy a few times at least, before contacting a priest to ask to convert?

i'm pretty sure the priest was entirely right about op, considering he was going to become Orthodox because he hates the irish and now wants to be Catholic because of a dream he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. If i were that priest and i got an email from OP saying he wants to join the church i would respond in the same way. he will probably become pagan in 3 months because thor has a cool hammer.