Thinking about buying my first lever action

I've been looking at getting a henry .22 but I am considering henry purely because of the name brand and I don't know other manufacturers. What other companies are good that also make .22 lever actions. I want that 'old west' look so no synthetic stocks or ugly woodland cammo. No I am not buying a larger caliber because I plan on using this for fun range days and for squirrel hunting. Henry is selling pic related for $283. Is this reasonable?

Thanks.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1200x249, 176.72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BqqVRUK35fs
browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr.html
youtube.com/watch?v=DxNrX-9P--0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's pretty much your options.
If you're willing to step up just a little bit, you can get the Marlin 1894 in either .38spl/.357mag or .44spl/.44mag and have an excellent gun.
.357 is a nice round to reload and has a mild recoil from a 1894.

wow these look cool. my first .22 semi auto was a marlin as well. thanks for the info

chill man

I did.
Obviously you didn't read mine.
My first line was to say in different words "the .22lr lever gun market is barren."
I then pointed him to other options to consider.
What kind of spastic asshole do you have to be to flip out by a guys saying "consider broadening the field a little?"

Attached: pepecbme.jpg (250x241, 6.88K)

Coming on a little too strong, user. You're gonna have to tone it down a bit to get anyone to buy your shit.

So which Zig Forumseddit thread did you get thrown out of?

Attached: PHOTO_20160426_230605.jpg (2560x1440, 1.41M)

This is you too, isn't it? >>613768

Browning BL-22 was my first gun. Fun as fuck and has a short lever angle. Chiappa makes a good looking side eject 22, as do uberti, marlin and mossberg. My wife's dead on with the golden boy I bought her, haven't seen any problems from it. If you like short guns, you also have the youth model of the OP picture.

I'd recommend a BL-22 though if cost is a factor I'd go for the Henry, both are solid rifles.

I did not know that the BL-22 was back on the market.
That's good to see.
I steer clear of Chiappa after getting a close look at some that have come through the shop.

Henry 22lr are excellent rifles. I wouldn't bother with any other caliber without a loading gate though.

Don't by a pussy. Get a Henry in .45-70

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (803x201, 91.69K)

The only way this is not a shitpost for a first gun is if you are loading a .46 round ball in front of 8 grains of bullseye. In that case, you're actually not doing a bad thing if you only want one gun, though you could do exactly the same with a .30-30.

RIP shoulder

i would recomend a marlin 39A you might find it in the used section

The only real benefit to Henrys is their resale value. They are not bad guns at all, they are quite nice in fact, but Marlins shoot just as nice. The thing is, if you ever end up wanting to get rid of it, the Henry will retain more if its value than the Marlin.
That said, I have sold half a dozen Marlins and never sold a single one of my Henrys. (I am saving them for retirement.)

Get a .30-.30, cheap ammo and very versatile.

Ammo is prohibitively expensive.

Gremlins maybe. Have you seen the premium on actual JM Marlins? You can buy an old 336 in a pawn shop for $300 and immediately put it on gunbroker for $450-500.

Where do you find cheap .30-30 ammo? I can only find it for 70 cents per round plus.

I meant cheaper than 45-70

How viable are leverguns as actual weapons?

As opposed to fake weapons?

Potentially very effective. 30-30 hunting rifles used to be one of the bigger cop killers in the US, heavily because they were a common truck gun that people would not only own but load up with them to drive around with. So, commonality was an issue. The bigger part was rifles are easy to hit with, and the 30-30 with its usually very lightly constructed soft point bullets, and round or especially flat vs. spitzer bullets, is just a plain natural killer. Good hydrostatic shock, great damage. At shorter ranges its as good for deer, and even people, as a 30-06 or 308 with soft points. Less energy, but the bullet shape and structure to make up for it.

This isn't praising cop killing, its just stating that shot for shot many lever guns are damn dangerous. 357 Magnum out of an 18 inch barrel is on average ~double the energy of a 4 inch barrel revolver using the same cartridge, roughly the same as a 223 in an 18-20 inch barrel, and far more destructive with big flat faced soft points at close range. 44 Magnum full power rounds in a rifle are far more devastating with the right bullets. What these rifles lack in speed they make up in sheer short range terminal performance. Most hits with these calibers in these rifles will usually lead to disablement or quick lethal results.

Using low power pistol rounds, like 38 Special in a 357 magnum rifle, or 44 Special in a 44 Magnum, will destroy this effect and you will be back to having just a big pistol carbine that does poor damage. Traditional rounds like 44-40 are poor, the new fancy 45 Colt rifles just don't have much power when it all comes down to it. With certain loads 45-70 Gubmit can do some decent damage by shock, but load it with big boi traditional bullets they will cause damage a different way, instead of shock it will be deep penetration. The only advantage of this is long range performance, and that you can shoot a man in the foot and have the bullet punch through the top of his head, which is rare to get a shot at that angle, but for the sake of hypothesis and all that.

So, for the loss of long range performance, for the loss of detachable magazines, higher capacities, manual cycling and short stroke, you gain potential extreme short range lethality for home defense or short range urban combat. Rate of fire isn't 100% of everything. I have my G3 sitting next to my bed for home defense, but I would not feel disarmed with my 357 Magnum lever rifle. Every single shot to the chest of a crackhead is going to be lethal and almost completely ensure a stoppage of an attack by that attacker.

Fug

.30-30 at one point used to be the gold standard in benchrest shooting.

I'd like to piggyback off this thread. Several people here have recommended a 38/375 lever action instead, and that's what I'm int he market for after you guys recommended me to get a S&W 357 revolver as my farm snake shooter/home self defense gun. I got a nice used one for pretty cheap, and I'd like to get a rifle variant so I'm not so spread out on my ammunition types, and also because it seems like a pretty good utility round in general. What's a reliable and fairly inexpensive model to go with?

Attached: SW66-1.JPG (1420x886, 183.96K)

Old ass marlin 1894 like before the 90s old. Marlin started remaking the 1894 but I'll still wait for a long while especially with their current reputation.
Henry is the only other real choice for quality but you have to reload using the fagtacular muzzle end opening in the mag tube. There is no side of receiver loading gate so topping off QUICKLY won't be much of an option. Winchester still makes some but you better bend over to present your boy hole and wallet. Huezillian stuff ain't so nice when you have to return them to the factory for repairs that were supposedly already completed.
There does exist the ruger 77/357 but it's around $800 (nearly the same for a henry anyway) it's actually a bolt action though, it still comes with irons out of the box unlike most bolt guns these days so you don't need to spend for glass just to get shots in a direction you want. Personally it's highest on my next purchase list.

Older Rossi m92's are shockingly nice after a good action job. There is no Marlin anymore, there's a tumor growing out of the cancerous dead yet still moving corpse of Gremlington.

There are some rather fine italian repros of 1892's in .357.

I have an 1894AE which is a good rifle, but I bought it 16 years ago when they were still built in the US. Back then it was $500, but like the other poster said, a new one is probably a rape and a two thirds. If built by Miroku you know you are getting a quality rifle, just keep in mind the price of that quality. Check the used market on this as well, doesn't hurt. I also have a new Rio 1892 44 Magnum. It works, but the quality difference is very, very real. Its good enough, but if you want quality buy Winchester or one of the fine northern Italian gunmakers.

Indeed, in a good action the cartridge is quite capable. Just that you stick it into a tube feed lever gun that accuracy just isn't typically there. Same thing with 45-70, its capable of great accuracy… in the right gun. People who don't think much of it should read up on the issue. Even 25-20 was capable of good accuracy with the right setup. All three calibers mentioned are great with cast bullets as well.

Appreciate the recommendations, and I've got them am wrote down to start calling the local shops; even the rice fed one since it's probably going to be hard to find some of these without buying online.
I have a quick question pertaining to being a lefty. Would being a lady make a big difference on firing a never action? I've noticed with lever actions most stores carry a lefty section, so I'm guessing that a Kay handed person would have issues shooting a non lefty fun, but for the life of me, I can't think how this could be. Are stocks not naturally ambidextrous?

I've only owned JM stamped 336s so i won't claim to be an authority on levers, but from my experience they throw brass like a boneless baby. i've never had any problems shooting left handed.

Another user recommended staying away from Chiappa, are there other Italian levers I'm not aware of?

Uberti.

what are you doing?

just get the Henry. They've got a great warranty and they're stupid fun to shoot

Then get some reloading stuff and get yourself a proper levergun in .30-30. .30-30 is a super versatile cartridge that is really easy to reload for

if this were 1887, very viable

Consider a Rossi Big Loop Lever 357 in 16" barrel.

You can twirl-cock it like The Rifleman.
youtube.com/watch?v=BqqVRUK35fs

This faggot, back again.
Been checking the pawnshops around me ever since I posted my reply thanking you streloks for the recommendations. Not one of them has had a 357 rifle show up at their door in a while. Are these super rare now or something? Considering just biting the bullet and getting a different caliber, but I don't know what. I know it should be something that can reliably kill a deer, an elk, and be inexpensive enough I wouldn't refuse to put it on a gunrack on my 4 wheeler. The rounds should be cheap enough I could shoot a porcupine/coyote without batting an eye, and hopefully something lever action, because I don't want to spend months waiting for a lefty version to show up. 30-06 kinda sounds like it fits the roll, but I don't really understand the velocity speeds and how it all applies. Sounds like pro hunters don't like them because it's too slow for longer distances? I think it's the best 200 yards would be my Max range anyways if that matters.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll second this faggot. Go for a .357 lever action. You can feed it .357 and .38 and keep a revolver happy too.

I reload 😎

Henry as a brand uses their proprietary tubular magazine design. this means to load the rifle you have to

Marlin likes to have a side loading tubular system that is similar to most pump shotguns. (not in .22)

Browning has a mag fed lever action.(not in .22)

moss-burg is "special." (not in .22)
Winchester is riding on the coattails of their legacy, they use an overly complicated mechanism that is outdated. (not in .22)

I own a Henry .22.

I've been looking at a browning blr in either 223 or 308. How's the build quality if brand new?

Attached: images (27).jpeg (334x400, 6.42K)

back again,
found out about a gun show this weekend. i'll be attending in hopes of getting that elusive .357 lever action. I was considering giving on the idea until a neighbor let me fire his .44 lever. Now i MUST have one. What do I need to be aware of as far as inspecting a lever action? Don't want to male a costly mistake here.

Belgian made, thrown together in Portugal. Its more of a bolt action that is operated with a lever than a lever action proper. Also they're made with an aluminum receiver if I recall.

There were only two in the entire show. a new rossi for 1.2k, and a chappal clonr for 780. recognized it as an italian maker that wasn't chiappa or whatever that someone warned against, so I haggled them down 100. No clue how well I did, but I'm sure it'll last me and do what I need it to, even if I might have overpaid.

Lol what?

Also, post pictures.

After I get off work today. Got the name wrong as well. it's a chaparral 1873. can't find any for sale online, but going off gunbroker's prices, I don't think I did bad.

Attached: chaparral plate.jpg (4128x2322 2.07 MB, 3.61M)

Loading more than 4 shots gets somewhat tricky, as they don't want to push in. Ejecting needs some gusto, otherwise they tend to stick but I'm happy they eject out the top as a lefty. Seems like the absolute best configuration aside from ordering a left handed model. Butt has a slot and a brass door for storing a cleaning kit, the seller said. Had some sort of locking mechanism to stop the lever from cycling, but it's broken/disabled. No loss there.

Attached: chaparral innards.jpg (4128x2322 1.94 MB, 1.85M)

Take the mag tube cap out. Its italian therefore its got a screwed in rod attached to said cap.

I dicked around with it some more and realized my lack of experience with lever actions is the cause of my loading issues. I was trying to feed the rounds without paying attention to where the prior bullet was, and also pushing the bullet all the way in past the gate, which made loading the next one in harder to spot. I can get 11 in the tube, and one chambered which for me is probably more than enough. The other thing I noticed with this one (not sure it applies to all of them), but when ejecting the old casing, you have to do a two motion lever. Push it out till the casing is exposed, then pause and finish the motion. going too fast or too fluid tends to jam the round in the ejector. I'm also cycling unused rounds, so that might play a factor as well.
If I pulled the rod out, how many more rounds would fit? I put 11 alongside the barrel, and I think I might get one more, or break the spring. It's 18.25" on the barrel length.

If there is a mag block in there, you'll probably get 10 357/44's or 7 30-30.

Can confirm, I'm a former owner of a chiappa .357 mag. Italians iirc have a universal five round limit on magazines, so they screw in a rod that prevents you from loading more. It's mounted to the magazine cap, and takes all of 5 minutes to fix with a single screwdriver (spring us under tension, don't let shit fly off).

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Could you make a gas seal cartridge by simply taking a .357 Maximum case, seating the bullet as deep as if it was a .357 Magnum, crimping the case before the bullet, and then trimming the excess? Of course you'd need a revolver with a gas sealing system for it, but at least that revolver could fire .357 Magnum too. Also, would the cylinder have to be longer than in a normal .357 Magnum revolver?

Should be able too.

What is your opinion of the new Henry Rifle with the marlin style side loader? Personally I always liked that feature and found the front loading of the tube mag to be kind of tedious. I'm glad something like that is being adopted.

Attached: H014-65-1.jpg (960x197, 62.89K)

The first-in-last-out magazine is what distinguishes a Henry rifle from its predecessors; not that the current Henry Repeating Arms Company has anything to do with Benjamin Tyler Henry or the original New Haven Arms Company beyond having acquired the ((intellectual property)) to the name.
In adopting the King's Patent Loading Gate they're moving away from the design of the Henry Rifle and towards that of the lowest common denominator contemporary lever action. The question at that point becomes, if they're making essentially the same lever action as everybody else, what reason does anyone have to buy a Henry instead of a Marlin, Winchester, et al?
I suppose they're relying on their brand and marketing to move product.

Still able to use the tube like every other Henry, now you can top it up if you so choose to do so.

Dogshit with no QC that would have died in the 2000s if not for freedom group yet still manages to suck cock due to freedom group. It's low cost still won't make up for shipping to and back from the factory or the eventual trip to the gun smith.
$1000+ not exactly budget friendly and it's market is just rich fudds who would just as likely buy from uberti or poor fudds with a refund check looking for a name and a safe queen.
Huezillian shit that MIGHT be good if you ignore the shit fit and finish and get lucky on one that was pieced together by a trained monkey.

It's not like they're going to discontinue all the other rifles. And henry has been using thier non jew price and actual quality control to move product, not just relying on their name.

is a magfed lever action heresy?

Not really, it ends up becoming a lever actuated bolt action which can handle some really potent loads, i.e magnums.

Where does Ruger fall in all this? Got a neighbor who owns all the revolver calibers, and is currently completing all the lever actions. I liked the few I fired, but I don't know my ass from my elbow, so what the fuck does my opinion matter.

no, but it isn't very "cowboy."
>browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr.html

unnecessary, opens up places to dust when you don't have to. it is against the principle of a Henry firearm that makes sense. it is mildly innovative but it feels too mall ninja and like you are trying to cut up a perfectly functional gun.

what I would do is turn around and sell accessorizes (parts meant to fit older models) so people can just cobble the gun they like kind of like the AR 15.

if you want to play up the features, make a "double tube" like above pic the Kel-Tech KSG Shotgun. I would start by doing this with you large calibers like .45-70 govt and lever action shot guns. which if you make it with the keltect "selector switch" you can change loads for hunting vs varmint, lethal and non-lethal, or ball vs hollow point or you could simply double mag ammo.

link to the gun so you can see it working
youtube.com/watch?v=DxNrX-9P--0

you could also try building a model with a barrel interchange like .22 and .22 mag, .30-30 and .357, or .45-70 and .45-60

This, i made the horrible mistake of getting one and paying good money for it in in 2017 that was complete unusable garbage with headspacing that was all sorts of fucked. However, last month i traded a stripped lower to some mall ninja for one in .44 mag and it's worked for the 200ish rounds I've fed through it so far.

Avoid them unless you can get a working one for for next to nothing.

I almost made the horrible mistake*

Mine had a bent mainspring guide, but I was able to straight it out and make it work. Mine was a problem that was easily rectified, so mine functions, but the point goes back that you shoudn't have to fix shit straight out of the box.

The only one I can really think of is the Winchester M95. Ive always been kind of partial to that gun since I find loading the tube mag on most lever actions to be kind of tedious, except with the side gates like on Marlin lever actions.

Not that I've heard of. When out hunting you can have at most 2+1 loaded though.

I did a bit of research on that and it turns out only non-sporting longarms are limited to 5+1.

Absolute gaylord!

Attached: halffag the fuddificent.png (501x304, 363.6K)

Found the real homosex.

No, you're the realest of the homosexes.

Attached: 8338403.jpg (293x387, 37.17K)

(checked)
You think the FAMAS can accept side rails? That way you can stick on a couple more launchers

It can with some tinkering. Stick a 12 gauge on the left rail and an AR-15 on the right rail. You know…for breaching and clearing. You can tape the flashlight to the soldier's beret.

Zig Forumsindergarten pls go and stay go

Nigger you keep showing up every time I post on Zig Forums to complain. I'm beginning to think you have a problem.

Attached: unknown.png (104x180, 41.65K)

Truly a weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

Anyone snag one of the new Henry sideloaders yet? Was thinking about getting a 357 Marlin but a new 30-30 Henry would be fine too