Christian Literature Request

Im working on a list of Christian Poetic narratives from all points in history, from anywhere geographically. Problem is, is I hit a wall, and ran out of narratives. You guys know any that I should add?

Attached: Working list.jpg (3048x7756, 4.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anathemata
amishcatholic.com/2017/11/12/when-the-sacred-is-strange-the-art-of-giovanni-gasparro/
mega.nz/#F!esZljaCR!T0L70yRF0-Yc_N6pSsI-OQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

KJB

But that's just the Bible, not a non canonical work of Christian content

Psalms, via the KJV

The Psalms are scripture. Scripture should not be counted alongside works by the followers of Christ

I’m curious about a work you have called “The Sacrifice of Abraham,” it’s credited to anonymous on your chart and I can’t find anything about it by googling. I’m trying stuff like “the sacrifice of Abraham narrative” “the sacrifice of Abraham epic poem” and I just can’t find it. Do you have any resource on this work, or even an online edition?

I was on 4/lit/ a moment ago and saw you made a near identical post. It was deleted, but I saved the pic. Did you delete it or the mods?

Attached: 89AEA710-8C4F-498F-8AD6-5666FAFB3156.jpeg (2472x5520, 3.29M)

It is a Byzantine Cretan play from the Greek renaissance, written at the same time as erotokritos.

I deleted it, realised it wouldn't get anywhere. I made a post in the Catholic thread, though

What translaysh of La Commedia do you prefer? I got the Mandelbaum one but the charts here show Ciardi. Im assuming either is fine for a first time reader. And yes I know about the translations chart for the book but I was wondering what Catholics think, as one.

Here's one I made awhile back.

Attached: Christian Literature.jpg (1744x2071, 1.25M)

Meant to say hope there's some you can use from it.

My personal suggestions:
St. Francis of Sale's Philothea;
Antonio Rosmini's "of the five wounds of the Church";
Andrei Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time [more of a book on film making, but Tarkovsky's religous views permeate this work];
all of Tolkien's, Lewis' and Chesterton's works [and especially Tolkien's letters and essays]

if you like Silence, Shusaku's The Samurai, Wonderful Fool and Volcano are some of his other great works. I'm reading all of what he wrote, and the style and torment of this Catholic in such a non-Christian society is deeply intriguing for a struggling faithful such as me.

There is a surprising lack of french authors.

Here's what we could add, even though I'm not sure you could find them all in english. These I have read and enjoyed.

Georges Bernanos
-Journal d'un curé de campagne ( Diary of a countryside priest)
-Sous le soleil de Satan ( Under the sun of Satan)
-Nouvelle histoire de Mouchette ( Mouchette )
-Dialogue des Carmélites ( Dialogues of the Carmelites)

Pierre Corneille :
-Polyeucte
-Théodore

Jean Racine :
-Esther
-Athalie
-Poems from Scriptures

Those not yet, but I heard they're good.

Léon Bloy, Paul Claudel,Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly, Charles Péguy.

Attached: inside-church-light-small.jpg (650x370, 80.36K)

I got really triggered because of the Seige and Delvivered parts.
Here's a correct one.

Attached: b1525591623110ca35b97b184c491cc6104dc691115f3b1eb2dc212388f888e4.jpg (3048x7756, 4.8M)

Fuck I didn't even notice. Thanks

Where's Beowulf?

Same reason there's no Roland or Or
Ogier or Cid. There's still some Saxon lit in there though.

I cannot find anything about that Book of the Rose even with a simple google search. Anyone?

Try using the name Giwargis Warda afterwards, it's the guy's Assyrian name

Attached: c4d00436b7f6fe15653b3e50d14e95493e00bfae99d979a46b67938387ddbf8f.png (3000x2900 548.13 KB, 1.68M)

pic unrelated but my personal favorite

Attached: brit.jpg (1664x4144, 2.64M)

Attached: random christian books.png (2048x2000 5.84 MB, 954.56K)

Attached: 38B91269-6CFB-4ED1-8D9A-B26FD26B3466.jpeg (2560x2739 3.1 MB, 3.35M)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anathemata

Attached: aa0b08c03516342226c8166d85ffd3dacf516b2bf32de636762153e7b18715cd.jpg (3161x4742, 13.18M)

What a weird looking Christ. What's with his expression?

Don't know what the hell the hell the painter is getting at but this should probably be burned.

It's depicting Christ in the winepress which is a popular christian symbol

Attached: 300px-Christus_in_der_Kelter_ÖNB_Mus_Hs_15501_fol_86v.jpg (300x224, 33.69K)

There's more shenanigans in there than that. Torch it.

It's sincere devotional art, guy
amishcatholic.com/2017/11/12/when-the-sacred-is-strange-the-art-of-giovanni-gasparro/

Ah I see. "Catholic mysticism" That explains the witches.

Alright, so here are the narratives Im considering adding so far

De Serie Sex Elatum - Adam of Barking
Breuissima Comprehensio Historiaum - Alexander of Ashby
Christiad - Marco Girolamo (Marcus Hieronymus) Vida
De Partu Virginis - Jacopo Sannazaro
Der Messias - Friedrich Glottlieb Klopstock
The Anathemata - David Jones
Eclogue of Theodulus - Gottschalk
Eupolemius - Anonymous
Heptateuchos - Cyprianus Gallus
de spiritalis historiae gestis - Avitus of Vienne
Elegy on the Taking of Edessa - Cathlicos Nerses the Grascious
Magnalia Dei - Grigor Magistros
Carmen Paschale - Coelius Sedulius
Vita S. Martini - St. Venantius Honorius Clementius Fortunatus
The Martyrdom of St. Lucy & The Martyrdom of the Theban Legion - Sigebert of Gembloux
Synodus/Synodicus - Warnerius of Basel
Occupatio - Odo of Cluny
Eupolemius - anonymous
The Julia and the Elene - Cynewulf
The Christ Cycle (I, II, III) (The Advent Lyrics, The Ascension, Parousia) - Cynewulf
Christ and Satan - Anonymous
Alethia - Claudius Marius Victorius
Aurora - Petrus Riga
Petrus Episcopus - Vetus Testamentum Versibus Latinis

What'd'y'all think

Attached: Archangel Extension.jpeg (494x768, 114.19K)

For what its worth, I found this rebuttal which explains alot of the things present in
A very interesting read in my opinion. amishcatholic.com/2017/11/12/when-the-sacred-is-strange-the-art-of-giovanni-gasparro/

What reason is that? The Song of Roland is a landmarkof Christian literature, arguably world literature in general.

It falls more into chivalric territory. Believe me, I want nothing more than to put Knight in the Panther's Skin

Real close to being finished, I'll be satisfied after like five more. I think I have around 60

You should rename it the Cretan drama of the Sacrifice of Abraham on the chart, because I couldn't find it until I copied your quote and pasted it and started searching through results. If someone is just handed the chart, they might not be able to find it

mega.nz/#F!esZljaCR!T0L70yRF0-Yc_N6pSsI-OQ

My collection of Christian literature.

Don't worry, I'm gonna have to rework the whole chart in order to be able to fit all this crap on there

Started reading The Brothers Karamazov yesterday. Great book thus far! I'm really liking it. Finished The Man Who was Thursday not too long ago, and it too was a great read

There's only one word of God and it's the KJV bible, you've uploaded many tampered word of God on that link.

Attached: a7be8d6f6d4338bd33ebf02d956f7ca4278d276af0a7612e74b12b76211c9226.gif (234x302, 139.25K)

What do you guys think of the list so far? Anything glaring obvious that I've missed? Should I start looking at more operas and plays?

Im looking at Desmond Egan, still on the look out for Orthodox, Coptic, and Eastern lit

Attached: 743bb3597ff5f04425d224933ef4f1bdd6964c34bbe1ac95a5840fafb9f42ded.jpg (1000x869, 461.05K)

I would add Gregorious, Der arme Heinrich and Parzival. True, the latter two are about a knights, but unlike the poems mentioned here they're much more about spiritual journeys than "deeds of chivalry", Heinrich especially. Even Jerusalem Delivered has more knights doing knightly things than those two.

From Russia, there is John of Damascus by Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy, which is about the life of St. John of Damascus. From the Byzantine Empire there's Digenes Akritas, which is weird mixture of Greek epics, Slavic folk songs, and Orthodox themes. From Hungary there is The Siege of Sziget, which about Battle of Szigetvár. Those are the only ones I can think of that you could call Christian rather than secular.

I love you user ;_;7

Anyway which translation of The Divine Comedy does /catholic/ prefer? I picked up the Mandelbaum one but I keep seeing Ciardi's in lists. Is that just because its the standard one people have on their first read?

I start reading Quartets by T.S Eliot.
It's really not my cup of tea. Why is it usually praised?

Learn Italian.

Holy shit, guy, you're too good. Im in the middle of reading Digenes Akritas right now, I'll give my verdict afterwords. Now Im thinking at looking at more allegories, miracle plays, and maybe some operas, as well as folk epics from christianized nations.

Copts dont write shit

Nice meme. I actually took a year of it but didn't keep up with it

Here's about 3/4ths or so of the finished product. I have about 130 works, but Im just not satisfied until I get more fucking shit

Attached: For our Lord.jpg (4120x8232, 8.11M)

Alright guy, here it is

Attached: The Critical Historical Compilation of the Achievements of Christian Poetic Narratives.jpg (4120x7008, 9.53M)

…Where…where can I acquire these?

Attached: heavy.jpg (320x292, 15.84K)

Attached: output.jpg (4120x7008, 1.49M)

I found like 90% of them free online