Protestant idolatry

I had a Baptist tell me the Bible is Jesus because it's the Word of God. And when I visited his church it really did look like they worshiped the Bible as God.

I see Protestants worshiping Bibles as Jesus/God all the time. But isn't this idolatry?

They don't understand the Logos, and don't care.

I highly doubt this. The only one I've ever heard claim the Bible is literally God/Jesus was Steven Anderson in that widely mocked old clip. Never in my life have I ever heard any other protestant/baptist make that claim.

It would be if it were actually happening. You are most likely lying about seeing this happening "all the time" as it virtually never happens.

I'm a protestant, I disagree with this, but I have seen this mistake propagated from both mainstream Methodists / Baptists, to Evangelicals. It's a shame of our side and I try to set them straight whenever I can. But it is a real thing.

Lying is a sin user

Idolatry is a worse sin, Protesatan. The Bible isn't to be worshiped, please worship God alone.

Has anyone ever noticed how false religions always claim to be a restoration of the "truth"? Islam claims to be the restoration of Judaism and Christianity before they were "corrupted." And Mormonism and Protestantism also claim to be a restoration of the early Church before the "great apostasy."

As an Evangelical myself, and I can tell you, it's because most Evangelicals tend to have low IQ's that they fall into this mistake.

t. falseflagger

Not different when Catholics idolize the saints.

Well, have fun restoring the Catholic Church to pre-Vatican II!

That’s not idolatry, that’s respect.

Jesus Christ also came to "restore the truth," are you implying something here? You have to ask yourself, what is Truth?

It's one thing to "worship" the Bible, but I would bet many of them have never seriously read the Bible cover-to-cover more than once.

Jesus never came to restore the truth. He is the truth. There was nothing to be restored though. There were truths that even had to be revealed that hadn't been revealed yet. Christianity isn't a restoration of anything though, it's a continuation of revelation given to the world through Jesus Christ.

A nonbeliever looking from the outside won't see it that way though, they will see Jesus claiming to "restore the truth" from the Old Testament laws. How would one differentiate the New Testament given by Jesus Christ and the "New" New Testament given by Joseph Smith for example? With your logic, we all should stick with the Torah and go back to slicing and dicing cattle on the altar because it's "the original." Look, I'm with you as a fellow believer in Jesus Christ, but your claim of "restoration of the truth" automatically equates to apostasy takes it way too far, which is your argument as to why Protestantism is apostate. Unfortunately, you're not able to discern for yourself what is and what is not the Truth, what is and what is not producing the fruits of the Spirit. It's really a lazy cop-out for to automatically dismiss the workings of the Holy Spirit in other places other than your particular denomination or sect. Lastly, if you're trying to insert a pro-Roman Catholic argument here, you'll need to content with what this fellow Christanon is saying.

No, they will see Jesus fulfilling the OT laws. There was nothing to restore. Jesus is a continuation and fulfillment of the whole truth.

Apparently you're not understanding my point, so this'll be my last post. A nonbeliever looking from the outside will read your post and make that conclusion regarding Christianity in general. They won't see Jesus fulfilling the OT laws, although that's what you and I believe. God bless.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor

Yes they will if they read the Bible.

This is false witness. You should be ashamed.

As a non-Protestant, I see no general pattern of Protestants worshiping the Bible. Unless you want to use the same standard of “worship” as Protestants do when they call praying to Saints worship.

You do not venerate a book, just as you do not venerate an icon. You venerate what is behind them.

Literal bible idolatry does exist but is by no means a mainstream thing.

17 But to me thy friends, O God, are made exceedingly honourable: their principality is exceedingly strengthened.

You know Anderson pulled that in that copypasta right? Either way they know whether or not they're sinning and the consequences thereof, so just remind them of the 8th Commandment while acknowledging you're only suspicious and watching out for their wellbeing.