Swords, how to use them

We all know that if you don't know what you're doing, with firearms, you're no operator. There are lots of videos available that explain, in detail, procedures for operating, at least to the Army level (probably not quite to a green beret or other elite level).

But swords? Youtube's full of people standing and talking, telling you what losers other people are for thinking the wrong thing about swords. Occasionally, videos will feature flourishes or exchanges, which are not presented systematically. Or somebody will tease basic stances, without offering a system of practice. This is the most useful, but they imply there's much more to be had, and you totally have to move to their yuppy-infested hellhole just to come learn.

Anybody got legit good content on how to master the sword?

Yes, I am aware of the treatises, however, they aren't in digested form, and the drawings are horrifically bad. They're basically MS paint drawings from the middle ages.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1876x1159, 937.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SoeNwEjpTE4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Unfortunately, sword fighting isn't very common. I practice historical european martial arts with the backsword at a place near me. The basket-hilt backsword is a sort of early martial weapon that leads into the infantry saber, and I hope to compete with said infantry saber semi-professionally.

Sword instruction can be taught by the manual, but learning in person from verbally-taught masters is objectively better. The two ways you can learn is via manual or via private instruction. Any other way is kind of a joke.

Sword mechanics are often counter-intuitive and rely on the skeleton, and any habit you develop without correction from an instructor is pretty bad.

Also swords just suck compared to guns. You're going to be at much greater risk than if you practiced shooting or defusing a situation. If you want to learn for the sake of history, I implore you to find a sword school. They're well worth it and I'm a penny pinching jew.

I'm no sword master but the basics are really what you should master, stance, movement, basic 8 form slashes, switching.

The master swordsman isn't about wonderous techniques, it's about drilling that shit and do it smooth and naturally.

And I maintain unless you have a gun or tazer, a sword is the best you have for every day self defense, provided you can somehow conceal carry and deploy it.

How does one manage this? Really thick, baggy clothing? Inside a cane?

Cane sword is one, belt sword is another.
But belt sword sucks last I heard.

Honestly you might as well open carry something like a hand a half sword or saber, preventing fights before they happen on fear alone.

Not always legal is the problem.

There's a reason machete is one of the premier reasons of criminals, it works.

Concealed Carrying a sword is even more illegal, as they often count as 'lengthy knives'. However, OPEN carrying most knife lengths is often legal. In fact, most of the swords- if we're talking america, that are illegal are concealed swords like the cane sword and umbrella knife, what have you.

I'm talking about in general, conceal carrying for us is when shit gets fucked anyway.

Better to go prisons for some years instead of dying.

I mean I have zero respect for the law I'm just letting you know. Conceal carrying a sword is difficult.

There is however, the cutlass. A cutlass is a lot like a machete and is seen as the origination point for modern machetes. Cutlasses are less than 2ft, often only over 1ft in length and effective. A guy had one for cutting practice and managed to easily get through tough materials.

Stick 'em with the pointy end.

Barbarians detected. Do not listen to these gruglings OP. You must train your hungry skeleton to contract and expand into the enemy, parrying and riposting at the same time.

Nigger there are modern books, which translate these treatises for you and show you in color pictures how you have to stand and move.

I posted two of them. Not only that, but Richard Marsden and all the other HEMA clubs regularly make VIDEOS teaching you step by step what to do. Still stand by the fact that it can't beat personal, physical training though.

Just move to Texas. It's legal to open carry swords in that state.

It's technically legal to open carry swords in like 30 states if there are no knife length restrictions. most of the southern states.

I can open carry a sword in my state too, just not on school property or in a child care facility.
Also it's illegal for me to "brandish" a knife or sword which, according to the website I'm getting this information from, looks like this.

Attached: brandish.jpg (150x248, 12.57K)

So don't dress like Doctor Robotnik trying to join a Matrix LARP and you're good.

lol did Michael Jackson steal his glove? He'd better give it back.

thanks

cane swords, tho

The fuck are they afraid of? Anakin?

Cane swords are illegal 9/11 times. I mean if it's concealed it's no big deal but cane swords often have threading that give it away and also who the fuck uses a vampire-looking ass cane?

私の近所で何をしていますか?

Attached: we wuz samrye.jpg (800x1200, 131.18K)

Either you're asking to be my neighbor or threatening to defend your neighborhood. My japanese is shit.

"What are you doing in my neighborhood?" is what it says. Also that's a で not a て.

I fucking hate those goddamn '' so bad but I also knew what particle it was so whatever.

Wouldn't it be more proper to use an existance verb? Shiteimasu means 'doing something' or 'in action' of somesort right? Like, 'iru' maybe? I'm shit at the verbs but idk.

Swords are for cucks. Chads use scythes.

youtube.com/watch?v=SoeNwEjpTE4

Peasants aren't welcome on this board.

Attached: thott-87r.jpg (436x481 532.82 KB, 68.73K)

Nice larp buddy, maybe if you take up messer they'll teach you how to do a World of Warcraft bladestorm.

Half swording is good for really close CQC, but half swording is useless without a good pommel

t. someone that has never used a sword

I do use one, but it is not a western one, but a bokken.

Well, yeah isn't the handle heavier? might as well buy a baseball bat or club.

Halfswording isn't about the pommel though, it's about driving the point and or guard in deeper at a closer range. You can whack someone with the pommel sure, but it's a lot easier to shank em two-handed with the short end or pickaxe em in the eye with the guard. Just saying.

This. Niggers fear the sword.

Skallagrim is a faggot.

A basebat is a terrible weapon due to the top heaven and short length.

A wooden sword is much better weapon for both striking and thrusting.

First of all, a baseball bat is like 2 and a half feet which is perfectly adequate, and also 'top heavy' is how hammers work. A baseball bat is a properly balanced weapon for its job- smashing. You wouldn't use a mallet with all the weight at the guard, only swords do this because they're for cutting and thrusting.

Swordfudd go and stay go.

Attached: Remove yourself from the discussion.jpg (770x437, 91.15K)

Man, his death was legitimately depressing to me. He might've been just an inch autistic but he had legitimate self-taught skill, a 16 year old qt apprentice, and no fear- social or physical. He's more of a man than many could hope to be.

Didn't most real hand to hand combat involving swords emphasize bashing the other cunt with your shield over parrying?

Parrying is the idea of getting the point away from your face. Riposte is stabbing them, at least with my limited face-to-face experience with my instruction. If you do not parry, your only other 2 options are voiding (getting out of the way) or being stabbed, one of which is viable while the other is not. In many sword systems, notably my experience with the german longsword and backsword, you do in fact parry in almost everything. In the first instance, you parry while attacking or parry and then attack in short order. In the second, you parry and then respond in a sort of 'chess duel' react and respond system typical of the later martial eras.

So we are talking about different roles, because a bokken is balanced for slashing and thrusting, and it's not like a hammer.

Then why the fuck is it made of wood?

Training purpose, duh.

Alright so here's the problem. You're talking about the 'bokken' as if it's a weapon. I googled it, it's a wooden sword modeled after a katana. Why couldn't you just say 'wooden katana' or 'i practice katana' or something? The weapon isn't a bokken, a bokken is a wooden sword, the weapon is a katana.

See how this doesn't make any sense?

A bokken i.e. a wooden sword is a weapon and there are techniques developed for it.

How and why? A bokken d hurts like any wooden weapon, which means a lot, except its shape is meant for thrusting and slashing since it has an edge and the force is concentrated upon that edge unlike a baseball bat.

So let me get this straight: You chairman mao gooks use a wooden sword with an edge? What the fuck? That actually never crossed my mind, I thought you were just stupid but turns out I forgot you can sharpen a stick.

You never seen a bokken before?

First one is the type I have.

Attached: bokken types.jpg (800x1652, 114.26K)

No I've seen them, I just didn't know they were actually used for combat. I thought they were like our training synthetics in HEMA, for no other purpose than to simulate a real bladed weapon.

They are training tools but can be used for combat.

I've enrolled in saber fencing classes, will keep you fags posted.
Meanwhile will read into the pdfs posted by

Best sword tbh.

True, also based. A pole learning the Szabla. I'm sticking closer to the cavalry saber but there's a special place in my heart for that beautiful fucking sword.

Gdzie?

していますか?
asking politely what trespassers are doing

You can kill someone with a bokken, even break a sword. Shit's solid oak, and more dangerous because it has an edge and a point to focus the impact.
There's a reason kendo uses shinai. Shinai are just four bamboo strips tied together so they collapse if you strike or thrust hard enough.

I won't bring up Musashi, as it invariably brings some autist out of the woodwork trying to tell us Musashi was a fictional character.

Szermierkaszabla.pl
Saw lots of flyers near my place, and decided to give it a shot.
First couple of months as I've been told you only practice stick fighting, and only then you move on to training sabers and then to real. Sort of gives me a chance to back off if I will decide that I'm too poorfag for this shit.
Made myself a training saber akin to bokken from a polished broomstick and self-vulcanizing tape. I actually made two, but one of them was too thicc and heavy - a meter of 3cm thick hardwood + rubber on the handle, so I will throw it away / use it later / will put in my car instead of a baseball bat.

You start with wooden/synthetics where I'm at, then move on to steel sparring weapons which are basically blunts with protected tips. You generally never get to use a 'real' saber and I'd recommend against cutting your friends to ribbons.

Thanks.

Thank fucking god my instructor looks like a well-adjusted buzz-cut skeleton that eats deer hearts in the woods and not this guy, who would seem more at home making sonic the hedgehog reviews than dueling by the fucking street.

By real I meant metal. Of course it won't be sharpened, but it is sharpablesharpenable capable of being sharpened. I would imagine to endure constant fighting stress it has to be done from good springy steel anyway.
Btw, would a fucking leaf spring be a good material for the saber?

Most channels aren't guides to physical fitness. It's just assumed that you'll gain that on your own as you commit yourself to training. These are technical guides done in non flip-o-rama format. Speed, Posture, fluidity, and timing is all you ever really need to focus on to grasp how to fight. I'm paraphrasing from the verse on the Wrath Stroke from Liechtenaur's Recital. If you're job is just to go into a fight with a longsword this is all you really need to train, though it is exclusive of most melee weapons a knight uses.

Isn't*

It's likely to be just soft steel. It's cheaper and more durable that way.

Pretty good, yeah, the steel is fine for that. You'd still have to bend and grind/forge it and assuming you ask the question you'd probably fuck up if you try to. Bending it without messing tempering or fucking up the metal is an issue, as well as forging - even more so.

The sword is the samurai's soul. He died as a true samurai, trying to save his sword.

You don't have to cut your friends to ribbons, but you can.

Func fact: At least one of these faggots managed to get themselves killed already.

And faggots say lol barehand wrestlers can beat up a HEMA dude with a sword.

Maybe maybe, дружище, I'm in no way a steel expert (yet)

Sometimes I wish for an alternative timeline, in which Hitler was not fucked by anglos.

Not if he has pocket sand. You can't hit what you can't see.

Why doesn’t this surprise me?

It really shouldn't. Places like that breed overcompensating edgelords like a pond breeds scum.

Last time I was there I was going to see the new music hall being built (that ugly brick and glass one of the waterfront) and while looking at the map in a bahnhof some south East Asian looking tranny come up to me and asked, in German much worse than mine, which line to take to get to Reeperbahn. He was sort of fit but was wearing a tight leather pencil skirt and high heels, and his face was plastered in makeup. If that wasn’t disgusting enough I finally realized he had said Reeperbahn. I didn’t even bother to say a word to him and just turned and walked a few feet away. The police were more than happy to help though.

Indian clubs exercises are good for coordination. You condition yourself on smaller ones for a few weeks straight, then up the weight each time you feel you're not getting any gains. Soon you'll be swinging around lamp posts and oak trees as if they were well balanced clubs.

An ubdate:
There were very few people in the training, and most of us were complete beginners. There was one 12-year old looking boy and one grandpa looking grandpa. We were made to do the most basic stuff - stance, advancing, horizontal cuts, advancing and horizontal cuts, 5 strikes (left right legs and arms, and head), 5 defences, and lots of unrelated reaction / endurance crap. I find it very amusing and I will continue attending.

I have a metric shit-ton of e-books on various styles of swordplay, if anyone's interested.

If someone wants to kill you, seeing you with a sword will just make them think youre a weeb dork and will embolden them

pic related

Attached: YmLQGtH_d.jpg (640x483, 27.53K)

Please share my dude.

dude if you're being hunted down by a fucking assassin nothing short of personal security guards is going to 'deter' someone. It's just that people are less likely to attack someone that can swing at them. I know people think swords are a meme but they're incredibly dangerous. Even Kairo Seijuro, as laughable as people treat him, probably could've fatally wounded everyone on that train just by swinging in random directions.

you must not live around niggers

go watch some fights on worldstar to see the context i was thinking of

If that's the case, you're even more wrong. Anime niggas know what's up. I knew some street samurai in socal that would carry swords to avoid the trouble of getting guns. Course, that's anecdotal, but nobody messed with them.

Stick the hilt firmly between your bumcheeks, perhaps even insert it inside your anus to secure a grip, then you are ready for any sword fencing.

I'm not talking about the based niggas you weeb about anime with in your community college. I was talking about drug dealing, mugging, raping, just-got-out-of-prison, crips and bloods, niggERS. They aren't going to be intimidated by a dorky whiteboy with a sword, they'll see it as something to brag about to their cellie after they're locked up for murdering you.
Or it could also be a cartel spic where I live, or just some random angry redneck

I don't know, using a sword against niggers seemed to work pretty well in Sweden.

Attached: mid-rampage photo.jpg (1300x2336 43 KB, 324.2K)

I meant anime niggas as a joke. I'll concede that people underestimate blades (knives especially). That's why you should carry a SZABLA. It's like a more wickedly curved confederate saber. Scare them down to their ancestors.

Also you can cut them with it.

Yes, because he USED it.
Swords are still good weapons.
But they aren't intimidating anymore, they're seen as a joke.
Same as how pepper spray is effective self defense, even though it's perceived as a bitch weapon for women and faggots, and "tough guys" assume it won't affect them

thats another one come to think of it. if youre going to use pepper spray, you have to actually USE it. If you just try to threaten someone with it, theyll laugh in your face and knock you out. I've personally witnessed that happen to multiple security guards when I worked loss prevention

If you want to scare people out of a fight just do what I do and carry 4 steel pipes banded together with model rocket igniters and talk to people about suicide.

ebin

that might actually work. coloreds seem to sincerely buy into the whole "crazy school shooter white boy" thing

See top of graph

Attached: do you want to win a fight pipe bomb.jpg (1632x1424, 545.24K)