Prayer rope

Is it ok to get a prayer rope made of wood? Is it pretentious to pray with a prayer rope over 33 knots in public? (lets say I am in the train and want to pray silently) For private use is it ok to pray with a 300 knots or is it only for monastics? Is it better to buy online from a monastery or knot one yourself?

Attached: 19377290.jpg (420x420, 35.61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Orthodox-Prayer-Rope-100-Knot/dp/B00RMZ0GSM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8
ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=orthodox_wings&_sop=16
etsy.com/shop/OrthodoxPrayerCrafts?ref=l2-shopheader-name&order=price_desc
mountathos-eshop.com/en/product-category/monastic-handicrafts/prayer-ropes-monastic-handicrafts/
stpaisiusgiftshop.com/prayer-ropes/
orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/comboschini.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is there anything more pretentious, more attention-seeking?

In seriousness, it is okay to get a prayer rope made of wood. It's not pretentious but you might get some looks and there is a risk of becoming prideful (i.e. praying so others see you praying). There is nothing monastics do that you're not allowed to do, if you want to pray with 300 knots do it. I have no experience re: your last question

Attached: 1500420808086.png (248x459, 248.81K)

I don't know. Buy from a monastery, as it will be a small help. The rope itself don't mind. Same can be said about crucifixes.

I love this meme, God bless /lit/.
Thanks for your answer I'll get a wooden one I think

When they were children, st theresa of lisieux and sister loved to pray all the time, so they counted the decades of the rosary on their fingers so no one would see in public. If you're worried about pride I suggest you do the same.

1) Yes, get a rope made of wood or satin or anything, it's fine. I'm about to buy my first one soon.

2) Never use them or any other prayer tool in public. I used to think it no one would notice, they will. Just recite it silently whispering where no one will see or in your head.

3) Get whichever you wish, 33 all the way to 300. You'll be rounding them fully or partially anyway.

4) Buy one or make one, I'm going to buy for the blessings that comes with it (they pray while knotting over it), so that might be something to consider. And if you buy, get one from a monastery.

Bunch of links for good ones I've found around the web so far (it's Wednesday and I'm purchasing Friday):

Amazon monastery: amazon.com/Orthodox-Prayer-Rope-100-Knot/dp/B00RMZ0GSM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

eBay Orthodox shop: ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=orthodox_wings&_sop=16

Home-made ropes from Olga on Etsy: etsy.com/shop/OrthodoxPrayerCrafts?ref=l2-shopheader-name&order=price_desc

Mount Athos shop: mountathos-eshop.com/en/product-category/monastic-handicrafts/prayer-ropes-monastic-handicrafts/

The very best for the very last, and the one I'm probably buying from: stpaisiusgiftshop.com/prayer-ropes/

To pray in public and getting some attention/recognition because you hold the komboskini or Rosary is not the same as parading it in order to draw attention.

The last one is where I a considering buying a wooden one from. They are very nice

>stpaisiusgiftshop.com/prayer-ropes/

That's awesome.

There are 10 bead rosaries that fit easily in your hand.

Aren't you supporting Israel with this?

No, you're supporting the Monastery of St. Paisius.

If you are worried about attention, can't you just keep it in a pocket while praying?

is it ok to want a beautiful rope? or is it more appropriate to get a very simple wool one

Get whatever you wish, but do know the novelty will wear off and the need for a discipline with it will set in. All items gotten like that eventually don't fit that purpose as it becomes your new normal.

Op here, after much consideration I decided to go much simpler and discreet so that I can pray wherever without drawing attention from anyone. I bought these on etsy

Attached: il_570xN.1052243282_jce0.jpg (570x428, 66.44K)

You have made up your mind but for other anons consider a prayer/rosary ring.

Attached: 9816942B-2.jpg (500x500, 62.12K)

That's a great idea

Dosen't the bible say to pray in your room with the door closed? Also why 33 knots?

I like to make komboskoina in my free time. Usually I make them two-toned, or rather with two very different materials (ie: wool & nylon, wool & cotton, wool & hemp twine) which feel very different. The alternating materials add a significant amount of tactile feedback, making the rope much easier to use. Also can look quite nice.

I make them with 144 knots. Three sections of 33 knots and one section of 12 knots.

Pics related. White one is my own. I gave the good looking ones away. The charcoal-looking one is a work in progress.

To anybody thinking about making one, definitely do it with alternating materials. It's absolutely worthwhile. Makes the rope stronger, less prone to stretching, easier to use because of the whole tactile thing. Just do it.

But there's of course much more value in having one made by someone else and to have their prayers alongside yours. And it's good to support the monasteries.

Attached: IMG_20180314_211146.jpg (3456x4608 1.55 MB, 1.64M)

It's not ok to have a prayer rope because those aren't in the bible

Four* sections of 33

neither are you

It also tells us to pray unceasingly. And the 33 knots are one for every year Christ was "physically" alive in this world

That's okay then, the 33 degrees of freemasonry is also a references to the age of Christ, but they're wanting to become a Christ, that's why i was asking.

I always thought it was to count to 100 easier lol. since 10 knot fits a finger and around 30 a wrist, just make 3 rounds of the wrist rope to get 100

Please don’t be any of the above
I’ve seen enough over enthusiastic converts
Just be normal and pray in your room

For the record they choking/komboskini are reserved for monastics

*chotki

that’s not true, they are encouraged for use by layman. just ask your priest
orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/comboschini.aspx

You definitely shouldn't be wearing it as an accessory or LARPing, but plenty of reasonable people bring a prayer rope to church and use it before the service starts. You should just be putting it away once the Liturgy begins.
And no, they're definitely not reserved for monastics.

I'm just a regular dude who wants to pray, and wearimg death to the world shirt or accessory is akin to band shirts, it is cringy. Prayer ropes are not for fashion, and I see plenty of people with ropes at liturgy.

Literally everyone benefits from a good prayer tool (really that's all the rope is), and as long as someone isn't wearing it as an accessory but to remind them of God (I use a small cross necklace for this), then it's fine.

Nothing wrong with wearing a prayer rope in the church. What, do you suspect your fellow orthodox christians lack a prayer rope? Does it embitter you to discover that someone does, in fact, have a prayer rope? Better to have it and use it than to leave it at home.

Or maybe upon seeing someone else's prayer rope, you are struck with the thought that they're just showing off or putting on appearances. I can sympathize, I've had those thoughts. How orthodox is it to suspect such things from our brethren?

kinda dumb to get shocked at somebody praying in a church tbh