Bishop Barron on the Jordan Peterson Phenomenon

"Like many others, I have watched the Jordan Peterson phenomenon unfold with a certain fascination. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you don’t spend a lot of time on social media, for Peterson, a mild-mannered psychology professor from the University of Toronto, has emerged as one of the hottest personalities on the internet."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/wordonfirevideo
stream.org/surprising-scholarly-agreement-facts-support-jesus-resurrection/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

discarded

Attached: image.jpg (500x186, 11.56K)

Why? Even if you're not a Catholic, he has some great videos, check them out: youtube.com/user/wordonfirevideo

We're all Christians, for example I'm a Catholic but I watch videos by Protestant pastors.

Attached: 79.jpg (600x776, 49.76K)

Doesn't he believe hell isnt real?

Real but "we don't know anyone is there".

What does "real" mean? I never get this. Do you mean hell is a physical place? That seems a stretch - like, if you dig in the Earth deep enough, there is red-skinned demons with pitchforks? Or is it on another planet somewhere, like the Mormons think God is.

Or, are we talking a spiritual reality, in which case calling hell an allegory is as true as calling it real since it cannot possible be perceived by the senses which is what we assume when we call something "real"

Does the state of being in hell exist? I think that's pretty clear - but a "real" place, that's a problematic expression.

What is real? If hes talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

Then Heaven and Hell aren't real because our brains stop functioning after death.

If we ignore the spiritual nature of the human body.

Back to le reddit with both of you pseudo-philosophical jerkdicks

Attached: MLP-fedora.png (578x566 263.39 KB, 11.64K)

No such thing. Our bodies are merely temples, not part of our immortal souls

The other user's post reminded me of the "what is real" scene from the matrix, i though you guys would recognize it.

Attached: 669.gif (267x219, 1.05M)

I am genuinely not sure of, is there something in the bible about the differences between the body, soul/spirit? I've only discussed the differences between these topics with Jehovah witnesses and they have an infamously distorted view of them.

And i'm not saying JW are christian, i'm just showing my terrible experience on the soul and spirit.

Instead of starting a new thread I'll just use this one. Peterson recently tweeted out a link to this article supporting the case for Christ's physical resurrection:
stream.org/surprising-scholarly-agreement-facts-support-jesus-resurrection/
This could lend hope that he may be coming to accept a more literal understanding of Christianity than he has been willing to publicly confess to thus far.

He has also uploaded this video about Jesus and the resurrection. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, sounds pretty heavy/complicated.

Except that our bodies are resurrected at the Judgement

He believes it's real, but claims that we don't know if there are any humans there. That Hell may be empty is a very improbable position (although it's plausible that more people will be saved than damned - majority getting damned seems the most probable interpretation, but it's not absolutely certain), but some Catholic theologians argue that all the relevant texts can be interpreted as allowing for it being empty. Personally I don't buy their argumentation and think that it's clear that at least some people are there, but it's apparently a, in the wider sense of the word, legitimate (although unpopular and improbable, and many would claim, with good reason I think, demonstrably false) position that a Catholic theologian can hold - provided he finds some way to explain the Magisterial/Biblical texts seeming to point to the contrary.

What about Judas? How could hell be empty and not at least have him there? How would it be better if he had not been born if he's not in hell? sage for off-topic

cathohomos at it again

yeah…that's something which always confuses me. While I understand why e would hope even for the worst of sinners to enter heaven, many saints had visions of Hell, and it seemed pretty full in their recollections of these events.

“But I noticed one thing: that most of the souls there are those who disbelieved that there is a hell. When I came to, I could hardly recover from the fright. How terribly souls suffer there!” (Diary of St. Faustina, 741)

The church hasn't condemned anyone to Hell, and it's possible that he repented before he died and made it to heaven, but the idea of Hell being empty is pretty unlikely. I think Bishop Barron said so cause it's more pleasing to young youth. I find most of the catholic youth on youtube to be extra cringey leave it to beaver kind of people trying to say "hey we're catholic and we're cool" it nauseates me, but yeah saying that Hell is empty and that the unbaptized go to heaven etc is more palatable for people these days.

If you want a breath of fresh air this kid is Catholic.

Judas hanged himself, he's in Hell.

Upvoted. Thanks a lot.

go back and never return

Attached: 1446122632593.jpg (334x393, 29.16K)

underrated

4chan's Zig Forums fags and man-children are at it again!

It's him digging himself deeper into the freud/Jungian psychoreligion where everything is metaphorical. Making long videos where the Resurrection is just a fable to inspire people does not help him at all.

Attached: 1464155217477.png (246x284, 54.91K)

"Better that he had not been born" could be interpreted as a hyperbolic statement. The Catholic tradition definitely supports the idea that Judas is in hell, but I would not call someone a heretic for saying, maybe it's possible that everyone will be saved.