Where can i get custom seamless steel pipes to make barrels out of?

Where can i get custom seamless steel pipes to make barrels out of?

Every video i see about making guns from 'scratch' involve making the receiver then just re purposing an old barrel instead of actually making it, i live in a country where you can't get any firearm parts without a license and i can't find any way to source a steel tube stock with the right grade steel and dimensions yet alone a precursor to a barrel, how the hell do i get or make a 9mm barrel?

Attached: Round-Bar-Stainless-Steel.jpg (1633x1225, 546.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gtLYnqZQHCY
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_10_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=steel dowel rod
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_10_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=steel rod
amazon.com/Online-Metal-Supply-Steel-Mechanical/dp/B072BXJXXZ/ref=sr_1_17?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1540602025&sr=1-17&keywords=Metal Tubing
metalsdepot.com/alloy-steel-products/4140-alloy-round-bar
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's much easier to make a smoothbore shotgun

what if i want to make an actual centerfire gun?

Start with bar stock.
Use a drill bit welded to a drill rod.
Use a lathe to drill through.
The use a button to cut rifling.

youtube.com/watch?v=gtLYnqZQHCY

Attached: 1470367862240-k.png (500x376, 253.51K)

You'd need to know enough about lathes to invert the threading gears. The fastest I've seen a factory lathe go to is one turn in four inches, much too fast for even a .308.

There are three ways that rifling is cut.
Button rifling is done be swaging or broaching out the barrel with a "button."
Hammer forged barrels are hammered with a special machine over a mandrel.
Machine cut rifling is done on a special machine that holds a tool bit and pushed through at a controlled twist rate.
All three are shown on youtube vids and easily found.
Button is the easiest way for a home shop hobbiest to make a rifled barrel without spending a small fortune.

You'll have to get round stock and drill it, ream it, and then you can button rifle it. Rifling buttons can be had on eBay shipped out of China in most any sort for a decent price and can be used many times. No idea what needs to be done in terms of heat treat/stress relief though I've never messed with it that far.

how do i drill out a round without the drill bit wondering and going completely off? the guy in this video had the exact same problem

i'm trying to do this without having to use a lathe

Use a lathe and do it in stages.
Do some googling and watch some youtube vids on the subject.

You could bore your initial hole with a drill press and then just shove a rifled liner in. Even if your hole isn't perfectly straight you can adjust your sights to account for it so long as where the bullet ends up is consistent.

This is a recipe for disaster.
Lined barrels have been tried before.
A moderate pressure cartridge (9mm for example) can blow the liner out the muzzle.

Ha, you're fucked. In fact good luck making anything gun related without a lathe.

Not sure how it differs all that significantly from the two-piece barrels currently being used on .357 revolvers.

The two piece barrels are essentially a full on barrel that have an external sleeve.
It is not a liner as such that the inner barrel is where all the load baring structure is.

By clamping it tightly and start by drilling a smaller diameter hole and keep making it larger so you can correct the hole if it wanders. If I had to do it by hand I'd drill both sides of it with a very thin drill bit and work my way up to the proper size.

The important question that everybody is ignoring is where to get proper steel for a barrel without going to a metal supply place and getting rod stock there. Is there a cheap substitute you could find in a junk yard or as a replacement part or as a piece of something that's widely sold everywhere?

what the least expensive lathe would you recommend then?

there is a car yard near where i live, i hear the metal in car axles is strong enough to be used as a barrel

Beam axle off a large truck. A lot of it is SAE 10XX series which may or may not be usable. If it is 1018 go ahead, but 1050 is pretty common and not as suited for the task. Some heavy equipment uses 4140 in which case you've hit the jackpot.

could i just pick an axle with a larger diameter to compensate?

This comment alone proves you are retarded. Take up a machine shop class for a year and then try.

How? a round with a larger diameter should be able to resist pressure and shock better than a smaller diameter despite it being the less ideal grade of steel, the reason why gun manufacturers don't do this all the time is because it adds weight and costs more material wise than just easily sourcing a more ideal grade.

You see, that would be helpful if i was actually asking a question related to machining.

Go make a barrel out of 50mm of BMS if this is your call. I guarantee it won't end in disaster.

On the topic of lathes, I'm no "fuck yeah science" kind of guy, but lathes are pretty fucking awesome.

Buddy, rounds don't spontaneously combust when you will them to fire. See, there's this thing called a primer…

no, i'm talking about a round bar not a bullet

It's easier to cut rifling in a pipe that's already made, but if you want to go the hard way here you go:
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_10_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=steel dowel rod
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_10_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=steel rod
The magic words are "steel dowel rod" or "steel rod"

THEN USE A BUTTON METHOD ON THIS
amazon.com/Online-Metal-Supply-Steel-Mechanical/dp/B072BXJXXZ/ref=sr_1_17?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1540602025&sr=1-17&keywords=Metal Tubing

Fucks sake if I cared about gun making I'd read every post, not every 10th.

You are asking a big question there. Modifying the internals of a pipe is one of the greatest challenges of machining.
There are some smart solutions, but oldschool is cooler than all of the new ones.
Get two bars of steel, one already rifled on the outside and with the diameter of your caliber (Rather difficult to produce, but it's possible. Use a very heat resistant and hard metal. It's called a mandrel.), and one bar of steel of the kind you want to use for your barrel.
Heat the future barrel to a point where it can be worked on. put the barrel-negative below the bar and beat it with a hammer so the future barrel folds around the barrel negative. Keep doing this until you get to a point where the two ends of the future barrel meet.
Heat that area to a point where the metal actually melts to connect the two ends. Let it cool until it's all solid again.
Now heat the entire thing until the barrel expands to a point where you can remove the mandrel.
Now you need to heat-treat the barrel and you are set.

High quality screws and bolts. The big ones. You can get them in the perfect diameter and length for pistols and sub-machine-guns, and nobody will bat an eye if you buy 20 or so M30 screws.

It's right in your OP pic: use thick medium hardened steel rod, drill bore into it, lathe to a smaller external diameter if necessary. There is no special fuckery involved in making gunbarrels, it's just finding exactly right material means you can make it thinner and more lightweight for the same strength.

I never knew rifling buttons were so cheap, a few of those, a bunch of drill rod and a harbor freight hydraulic press and you'd be set for rifling.

Steel isn't so hard that you need a hydraulic press, it can be done with a simple drill turning a geared press.

The one part I know would work is the output side of a crankshaft. It may only be good for a pistol/smg barrel as it's short (~4-5") but it will be forged, high strength alloy steel that is guaranteed tonve strong enough for a barrel.

Attached: serveimage (11).jpeg (1024x542, 89.45K)

Just get a medium carbon steel rod, they're widely available. Low carbon is too ductile and will deform readily, high carbon is stronger but will explode with no warning if overstressed.

Attached: Tensile-testing-ExtruDesign.com-005.jpg (1440x1452, 204.09K)

Can you just *BUY* one-off steel rods?

look up 4140 steel bar, or seamless rolled tube of the same grade. you should be able to find a local supplier in the nearest reasonably sized city. failing that they could probably order in a standard length.

metalsdepot.com/alloy-steel-products/4140-alloy-round-bar

I want to practice rust bluing, what are my best options regarding stock metal?