Long range shooting

When are you going to learn how to shoot a mile, Zig Forums? Don't you know it's an essential skill for any oper8tor worth his salt?
Even Zig Forumsommandos in no-guns countries can mostly get their hands on bolt-action rifles. Mildot reticle scopes with good tracking and ballistic calculator apps for phones are more reliable than ever. Just fucking get on it.

Attached: sniped.jpg (361x414, 68.41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_bore
weaponsman.com/?p=21443
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/01/starline-straight-walled-unfinished-223-remington-brass/
ar15.com/forums/general/357_Magnum_SABOT_project/5-1439041/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlejohn_adaptor#Use
forums.spacebattles.com/threads/tapered-bore-as-alternative-to-saboted-ammunition.613766/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>with civilian

The rifle is the easy part, the weight is carried by the optic and ammunition with lots of practice.
Your greasy triggerfinger is letting you down and a ~$2,000 rifle won't fix that.

Riflemen ought to be strung up on trees. Rather fitting, considering they favor hidden branches.

Attached: absolutely_disgusted_redcoat.png (227x360 235.16 KB, 77.61K)

I've done it with a k31 which was $250 at the time, adding the mount and scope was another $600. Its doable.

I'd rather build mortars and rocket launchers for that kind of work. It's cheaper and requires less hassle, especially here.

Attached: hmm.png (600x358, 41.47K)

The 25th shot hit the gong and at that point I was done for the day. I prefer 1000 yard shooting on nice not breezy days. GP 11 ain't a meme.

Attached: have you tried circles.jpg (640x480, 54.47K)

I'll keep using my Kentucky rifle and there's nothing you can do about it.

Attached: S213.jpg (318x301 576.11 KB, 13.41K)

Fight like a gentleman, you filthy coward!

Attached: d3896030eb68ca335d00f372cfdbb9bc.jpg (661x785, 163.33K)

I don't believe the leaf for a second gyrobro, but it's theoretically possible–the Kay31 holds the record for longest shot made with open sights, which was in excess of 2000 yards.

Assuming you're not bullshitting entirely after 25 rounds you really can't say if that was your skill or the gods of probability taking pity on your unraked ass.

I remember hitting targets at 200 yards with my 1911 and Model 10 revolver. I'm a pretty good offhand shot, and a damn good Kentucky Windage/holdover shooter offhand, had the advantage of shooting over a lake where I placed a few rounds to gauge my drop, and even had the benefit of a spotter who helped guide me. Hit a 10 inch target one with each gun out of only five shots fired, with guidance of my spotter, my skills, the fact that it was one of my "hot" days where I was at my best, and most of all fuckloads of LUCK. That was a damn good shooting day, I was on fire, my skills and talent were put to good use, but even then I acknowledge LUCK was huge on that nice shooting day. Some days LUCK is the only reason you hit the target on a bad day (not feeling well, tired, cold, hot, just out of it), or LUCK is when you have a gun/ammo combination that shoots 5 MOA and you are trying to hit a 4 inch dinger at 200 yards. Some days it requires you to be at your very best PLUS the LUCK to get some of those great moments. Men who are serious and call their shots may be bragadocious to others about their hit (yeah man, I fucking nailed it, of course) but deep down to themselves they feel the stars aligned and everything went smoothly, or know that the odds were stacked against them.

Even if that 1,600 yard shot happened, even if it did require a lot of luck, it also required some skill to put it close enough to hit. We'll give him the benefit of the doubt if it did happen, he needed LUCK but at least the gun, the bullet, and the man did their part.

Combination of having a very good spotter and a bit of luck given the circumstance, I'm not a stranger to smacking gongs at 600-1000. If I recall the first ten shots fell short, the next twelve were to the right, the two before the hit were above. I'm a real sucker for smacking steel at 150-200 with 22lr.

>with civilian

You can do that or practice within a common practical range and utilize your environment, avoid known large clearings.
Make it so there is no long shot, just equal standing at a ranges you're more than proficient at.

you need magnum power for that range, and even 300 and 7mm magnum will be gassing out at that point.

>new K31 assuming you mean surplus still in cosmoline
There's not a lot to envy in the Europoors, but what there is is pretty good.

Attached: despair.png (201x160, 33.75K)

So France is where all of my fucking GP11 has been going. K31 food is $1+/round WHEN YOU CAN FIND IT WHICH YOU FUCKING CAN'T.

Been there done that. I prefer picking off the officers so they can't keep the king's subjects in line. Why should I listen to a criminal anyway?

Attached: Dh2-m-YVQAE_9n6.jpg (1114x614, 115.43K)

And it worked, didn't it? C'mon, let's show the French what's for again, just like the good old days. Give up your silly notions of rifled bores and cover before you hurt yourself and lead to a chain of entirely foreseeable events that will ruin the Earth for white men forever.

Attached: darjeeling.jpg (858x1200, 667.98K)

Not here.

Longest I have ever gone is 200m with my leverfun. The drop with my 475 grain projectiles at that range was ~ 40 inches. I am going to move onto 350 grains to flatten that down dramatically- 8.8 at 200 with a two inch high at 100m.

Plz list loads and what is going wrong. In big boi 458 caliber guns the long range bullets ARE the big bullets because they have far better BC. 40 inch drop at 200 yards seems pretty incredible, if not completely unlikely. Remember that smaller bullets at hot loads may give you slightly better trajectory short range but are inferior at the longer ranges. If you ever want to make that gun hit the mark at 600+ you'll be back to 475+ grains.

That's the fault of the French and their revolution, not the burger war for independence.

do not post my wife

Ya'll dummies think I meant a 1-mile shot is the gold standard. The point I'm trying to make is that long range shooting is challenging and fun. And it's not crazy expensive. More enjoyment for each round, when it's slapping steel at 600m+.
You don't need a fiddy bmg rifle or .338 finngolian to reach new grounds.

A decent .260 load can stay supersanic out to 1100m, and then it's gonna be tough from there, but it's possible if the conditions allow it.

Oh lawdy I'm coming down with a case of the vapors

Attached: Denel NTW-20.jpg (1200x374, 40.25K)

What changes with the bullet going below sound barrier? Is ballistics really that different and not just the trajectory more steep due to lower velocity?

When the bullet turns transsonic the sonic crack behind it actually catches up with it, which causes it to destabilise. That results in a faster drop in velocity and rotation speed, greater susceptibility to further disturbances like wind, and lower accuracy overall, not just due to drop but also horizontal drift. Basically, there is a pressure wave travelling with the bullet that once the bullet falls below a certain speed outpaces it, and the interaction between the bullet in flight and that pressure wave costs energy.

And no, I'm not talking '.50 BMG shockwave dun blowed that guy in half from two feet away' memes either. It's the same kind of interference that you would get from suboptimal gas port location, an asymmetrical muzzle brake, that sort of thing… a small inconsistency in pressure against the bullet that upsets harmonics and has an effect over a large distance. Poor velocity energy retention like this is one reason 5.56 NATO doesn't perform well at range; the lighter bullets have actually been known to begin keyholing past a few hundred yards, which is only made worse by the short barrels most people like to use.

Sage for double post.

So it's basically "what is supersonic should stay supersonic"? Does that mean that some rounds like 9x39 that are subsonic can be better at range then some supersonic intermediate rounds?

The transition from super to subsonic is a big complication, but it doesn't totally ruin performance. With enough number crunching you can still calculate trajectories further than supersonic range, you'll just have to expect increasing inconsistency the further out you reach. The heavier and longer the bullet is, though, the better it retains velocity and resists destablising. The deciding factors there are ballistic coefficient and momentum, and something like 9x39 does pretty well at both.

Something I wonder about is how would a 9mm rifle cartridge would work together with a squeezebore barrel that goes down to the 6-7mm range.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_bore
Of course the projectile would need to have a bit weird shape, so that it comes out as a Spitzer bullet on the end of the barrel. I'm just not sure how much it would increase the velocity, or if it would do anything weird that ruins the concept. Of course it should be tested with an actual barrel.

Ok, thanks for the insight.

Don't blame us for the ideas of jews from France and Germany
it's only treason if you lose

Attached: 6a7c32eda8379093d1a1702b9554aef5901f3b9f42bedb43ccdde5ac86877d3f.png (1240x1870, 3.48M)

sacrilege, hamilton loved the fucking kikes

To elaborate a bit: I wonder if you could neck up a 5.56 case to 9mm and fire a 8g (~123.5 grain) projectile at "normal velocities" if you used a squeezebore barrel. Of course it would most likely wear out quickly even if you managed to do that, but I wonder how far would it be possible to push the concept.

By the way, here is a better article: weaponsman.com/?p=21443

Would be impossible, as the case diameter of 5.56 is 9,00mm, and 9mm projectiles are actually 9,03mm.

Just use a heeled bullet. We 19th century now.

>>>Zig Forums
>>>/oveninaction/
>>>/facebook/
>>>/cuckchan/
>>>/oven/
>>>/fur/
>>>/suicide/
So many choices and yet you decided to spread your diarrhea here.

Attached: communist_irony.jpg (872x1200, 218.47K)

What if you started with a larger cartridge and gave it a rebated rim like .50 Beowulf so the same bolt could potentially be used

Attached: 39272b0a6fe301a0c0e73a6fffa6375a9f1a59bd5402bb9cfb27c906d9841aea.jpg (777x704, 36.33K)

Surprised you didn't tell me to go to /tv/, Zig Forumseddit

I don't mean it as actually taking an already finished case, but making something like this:
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/01/starline-straight-walled-unfinished-223-remington-brass/
And it looks like somebody already did it, minus the squeezebore barrel. Now, there is this:
ar15.com/forums/general/357_Magnum_SABOT_project/5-1439041/
Apparently a 110 grain (~7.1g) 7.62 projectile fired from a .357 Magnum case with a sabot can fly at 2800fps (853.44m/s). That's pretty close, and the .357 AR should have a greater capacity than .357 Magnum.

Attached: 357 AR.jpg (660x200, 43.2K)

We've got issues with accuracy when using either sabots or squeeze bore now so it's kind of pointless to do so without improving the technology. Pistol rounds on the other hand are very interesting.

Is squeezebore really less accurate? The only thing I can find is this quote:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlejohn_adaptor#Use
Which isn't much. And I just don't see why would it be less accurate in the first place.

I was talking about small arms. I don't remember where did i read the criticism of both sabots and squeeze bore in that regard. I can see that is the case because it's hard to compress the projectile consistently, as well as it's hard to consistently discard the sabot. Against squeeze bore i've also got this forums.spacebattles.com/threads/tapered-bore-as-alternative-to-saboted-ammunition.613766/ .

You can shoot IPSC in Norway, which lets you buy an AR and pretend to be a cool guy on the range.

Do you have to provide a "good reason" to own guns in Norway?

Yes, but are set standards for competition shooting and hunting that has pretty clear cut ways of how to aquire guns. The police can't deny you if you fulfill all the requirements and have a clean record.

Isn't "providing a good reason" is just a way to say that they only have may-issue licenses?

You're right, fuck off back to /tv/ too, faggot
>>>/tv/

Waaaaa cry Zig Forumseddit cry waaaaaaaa

quit watching "Hamilton!"
cuckold

Quit spamming the board, faggot.

Zig Forums is a shithole board. Might as well spam it to death. Everything is shit anyway. Might as well hurry up and trash it all.

Start with yourself first.

Attached: smug saki.png (660x720, 309.01K)

Attached: 1434220198690.png (431x696, 617.26K)

Daily reminder to filter spammers
Excuse the double post

Yes, surprisingly. Subsonic bullets retain their velocity much better than supersonic bullets due to decreased air resistance. The .510 whisper for example, with a ~900 grain bullet will only lose a total of 100 feet / 33.4 meters per second at 500 yards/455 meters. Assuming a speed of 850 fps/258 mps at that range you are looking at 1958 joules of energy, about the same as 7.62X39 at the muzzle. If you use a heavy enough bullet you can get results you want.

My 475 grain bullet sits on top of 37 grains of AR2207, local equivalent of IMR 4198, at an OAL of 2.5", with a muzzle veloxity of 1400 fps. With a zero at 100m, it drops 32 inches at 200m. Given a 2 inch high at 100m, this improves to 23 inches, but means that at 75 meters the bullet is travelling 3.6 inches high. This is inacceptable, as the maximum I will take is 2.5 inches high inside of 100.
The 350 grain load starts at 48.5 grains of AR2207 per adi powders, with a starting velocity of 2000fps at 2.54 inches OAL, and a 13 inch drop at 200m with a 100m zero. Given a 2 inch high at 100m, it drops 9.2 inches at 200m.

I am shooting through a multi-x equipped bushnell 3-9x trophy. I would probably do better with a DOA 600 reticle, but I don't have the money to buy another scope.

Attached: Screenshot_20181029-195015_Strelok Pro.jpg (976x834 233.7 KB, 256.03K)

CT STs-130 with .50 1100 gr AP bullit when?

My nigga. I use that for my handloads too. What resource do you have for calculating BC?

I already shoot IPSC.

Attached: Norman Osborne.jpg (631x549, 40.83K)

I live in the American Gardens Building on West 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of my raifus and a balanced ammunition diet and rigorous training routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing disassembly drills with my custom Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 Super. I can do it in 4.3 seconds now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep bore cleansing penetrating oil. In the shower I use an aquaphobic grease lubricant, then a Hoppes No. 9 frame oil, and on the barrel a dessicating graphene powder lubricant. Then I apply an Ipswich pine lacquer stain which I leave on the grip plates for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use a finishing oil soap with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries the wood out out and makes the stain thin. Then a slide polishing, then an anti-glare abrasive buffing followed by a final function and zero check.

Attached: 1465606498344-furry.png (670x770, 187.01K)

Lee lists their ballistic coefficients for their cast bullets, so I use those. My 475 grain bullet is a lee 459-500-3R with the mold machined so that the nose is shorter by 7mm- afaik no other bullet exists with this exact profile. The 457-340 has a BC of .211.

Attached: transsonic.png (454x603, 313.39K)

Have you accepted 6.5 master race yet, Zig Forums?

Attached: cowboy sip.jpg (1200x1586, 691.58K)

Mutts are going 6.8 for their next magic bullit, so no, unfortunately :(