Why do you not keep the Sabbath?

Literally it's the 5th commandment. Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday and rose on the Sabbath day, yet some Christians for some reason worship on Sunday which is actually the day of the Roman solar deity. This practice was introduced by Emperor Constantine in 313 A.D.

Please, obey God and worship on the day he appointed which is from Friday to Saturday evening, which is the Sabbath day.

Attached: Sabbath-a-Moral-Law1.jpg (400x365, 92.15K)

The first pope?

Also here a more lowkey fecespost
The Didache
"But every Lord’s day . . . gather yourselves together and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned" (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).

The Letter of Barnabas​​​​​​​
"We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (Letter of Barnabas 15:6–8 [A.D. 74]). ​​​​​​​

Ignatius of Antioch​​​​​​​
"[T]hose who were brought up in the ancient order of things [i.e. Jews] have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and by his death" (Letter to the Magnesians 8 [A.D. 110]).

Justin Martyr​​​​​​​
"[W]e too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what reason they were enjoined [on] you—namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your heart. . . . [H]ow is it, Trypho, that we would not observe those rites which do not harm us—I speak of fleshly circumcision and Sabbaths and feasts? . . . God enjoined you to keep the Sabbath, and imposed on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness and that of your fathers . . ." (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 18, 21 [A.D. 155]).
"But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead" (First Apology 67 [A.D. 155]).

Tertullian​​​​​​​
"[L]et him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day . . . teach us that, for the time past, righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and were thus rendered ‘friends of God.’ For if circumcision purges a man, since God made Adam uncircumcised, why did he not circumcise him, even after his sinning, if circumcision purges? . . . Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering him sacrifices, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, was by him [God] commended [Gen. 4:1–7, Heb. 11:4]. . . . Noah also, uncircumcised—yes, and unobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. For Enoch too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, he translated from this world, who did not first taste death in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God" (An Answer to the Jews 2 [A.D. 203]).

Eusebius of Caesarea
"They [the early saints of the Old Testament] did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we [Christians]. They did not care about observing Sabbaths, nor do we. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things" (Church History 1:4:8 [A.D. 312]).
"[T]he day of his [Christ’s] light . . . was the day of his resurrection from the dead, which they say, as being the one and only truly holy day and the Lord’s day, is better than any number of days as we ordinarily understand them, and better than the days set apart by the Mosaic law for feasts, new moons, and Sabbaths, which the apostle [Paul] teaches are the shadow of days and not days in reality" (Proof of the Gospel 4:16:186 [A.D. 319]).

Athanasius
"The Sabbath was the end of the first creation, the Lord’s day was the beginning of the second, in which he renewed and restored the old in the same way as he prescribed that they should formerly observe the Sabbath as a memorial of the end of the first things, so we honor the Lord’s day as being the memorial of the new creation" (On Sabbath and Circumcision 3 [A.D. 345]).

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (214x255, 99.7K)

The Christian Sabbath is Sunday, the Lord's Day, this is basic New Testament

Because I'm a Christian and not a Judaizer.

Firstly, it's the 4th, not 5th.

I'm willing to bet not one of you actually know when it is.

This is one of many teachings of the Messianic Jews that I struggle with. I find it difficult to throw away Christian tradition which is common amongst virtually all denoms, yet in the Bible the sabbath is clearly on Saturday. I'm hoping a knowledgeable bible-believing user can defend a Sunday sabbath.

The Sabbath isn't on Saturday, Sunday, or Friday as the desert dwellers erroneously believe.

how about

Those are interesting quotes, none of which are from scriptures.

I find no evidence of saturday worship for as long as the christo-judaic split has been a thing.

That should come up a lot, especially among non-Roman(oriental and assyrian) churches, if "muh Constantine" changed it 300 years later

Our Lord rested on the Sabbath and rose on the 8th day. Don't be fukn stoopid

Correct, they're testimonies from the early Church.

Acts 20:7

Okay

Where did you come up with this?

Since the debate is on the requirement to observe Judaic regulations, what metric does one go by and why in determining the start of a observed day? In the present the conventional practice is to consider the start of a day at midnight, but in the Jewish tradition it goes from sundown to sundown. But since Christ is risen, may it not be more pertinent to begin observations at sun up? Even though such issues have been decided on, it still begs the question.

Also relevant is calendar usage which itself has been a cause of conflict. Despite it, it could have made sense to follow the Hebrew calendar for determining things though the use of solar calendars is owed partly to the fact that they are simply proven to be more workable for agrarian people and that for the sake of convenience it's desirable to use or accommodate to a single calendar.

Attached: 1457794493324.png (794x560, 480.69K)

I have .pdfs of the Didache and St. Just Matyer's letters. Does anyone have the Letter of Barnabas, and Ignatius of Antioch?

Nothing there indicates that Sunday replaced the sabbath.
More specifically the sabbath is a day when all God's people abstain from doing work.

Sunday is the sabbath

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Jesus Christ routinely broke the rules of the Sabbath day. He even says:
John 5:17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is working still, and I am working.”
Forget it, the reason it seems special is because its the only piece of ceremonial law in the otherwise moral law tablet.

Attached: Ignatius Letter to the Philadelphians.pdf (Letter of Barnabas.pdf)

Attached: Ignatius Letter to the Trallians.pdf (Ignatius Letter to Polycar….pdf)

Only if the week begins on Monday, though I don't recall Genesis saying which day creation began. For all we know Tuesday is the Sabbath and God's pissed that we get it wrong.

???

Is God pissed that we eat pork? Do works of the law save?

Not like the Bible says Friday.

Except for Sunday being used as the Sabbath day?
It is the day where they abstain from all worldly function (not just work) and practice the worship of God instead, which is what we see in this verse. Hence, we can see that in the apostolic practice, Sunday did not replace the Sabbath, but was the new day of it, which they called the Lord's Day. The first Sabbath signified the creation of the world, and the last signifies the new creation in Christ Jesus.

That isn't a sound interpretation. It wouldn't make sense for God to sneak ceremonial law into the summary of the whole law. The context of that verse is that Jesus healed a man who was invalid, so what this verse establishes is not that the Sabbath is abolished, but that works of mercy have always been excepted.

" Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink, or in respect of a festival day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbaths,

Which are a shadow of things to come, but the body is of Christ."

Colossians 2:16-17

I guess Paul was the real Constantine all along.

That's plural for a reason, user

the point is that there is no need to follow the Sabbath, except to put aside one day of the week to worship.

Which is the only Sabbath this thread is about

becuz Christian, not jew
Thanks, Benyamin, for reminding us

Attached: Jew_Larva.jpg (800x600, 107.38K)

Because I work most weekends. The best i can do is maybe pray a rosary in down time.

Due to cherry-picking Commandments, of course.

I'm Christian not seventh day adventist or jew

No, Jesus was crucified the night before the Sabbath. Reread the gospel
Note there. It was the day of preparation, i.e. a Friday, and they didn't want Jesus to hang overnight and remain until the Sabbath day. So Jesus died on Friday, was buried on Saturday, and rose again on Sunday

It's don't. Justin Martyr said that Sunday was the holiest day.

The Sabbath in question was the Passover.
He was crucified around 3PM on Weds.

If I keep the Sabbath to myself, then how can I share it with my brothers and sisters?

The quote you gave is not including the original flavor of the sentence. Here is a quote with it intact.
Act 20:7  And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

I wanted to share this and explain it. Upon the first day of the week means, just as the first day of the week is about to be upon them. The Hebrews calculated their day from dark to dark. So, upon the first day would be at dark on the Sabbath. ie. Saturday at dark. That woold conclude their shabbath service and then they would eat together. Paul was so wound up that he wanted to keep on talking and did so until Midnight that night. Makes perfect sense and does not need to break the Sabbath to make the scriptures make sense.
Shalom….

This.

No, no. The Last Supper was Passover, which was obviously NOT the Sabbath, since he was crucified the next day. Jesus died on Friday.

Also, as to OP, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." There is a holy day, and as long as you are getting in a weekly day of resting and holy remembrance, it's legalism to say that it must be from 6pm Friday to 6pm Saturday in accordance with the Hebrew Lunar Calendar.

Attached: brain damage.jpg (600x604, 49.86K)

That is neither what the English nor the Greek word means. You are twisting the scripture.

I repeat, Commandment cherry picking.

The Israelites had other sabbaths than the weekly sabbath, like the sabbath where they let the land lie fallow for a year at the end of every seven years, and the Jubilee which was every seven cycles of seven years, after which slaves were freed and debts were forgiven. The plural sabbaths has nothing to do with Sunday being a sabbath.

The Sabath is from Friday at sunset till Saturday at sunset.

Jesus died shortly before sunset on Friday. He rested in the tomb Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, and probably rose from the dead at sunset on Saturday. Jesus kept the sabbath, fulfilling its ultimate purpose.

Spoiler alert: he wasn’t actually resting in the tomb, he was trampling down death by death.

He rose 72 hours after his death. "Three days and three nights".

Three days: FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY.

COUNT LIKE A JEW

Three days and three nights; not three whole days and three nights, but part of three natural days, from which, in common computation, the nights used not to be separated. We have an instance of this, Esther iv. 16, where the Jews were ordered to fast with her three days, and three nights: and yet (C. v, v. 1) Esther, after part of three days, went to the king.

Show me in the Bible where it says "72 hours".