Ever notice this?

If you take to the time to read the Gospels you will notice that Jesus Christ took the time to condemn people who divorce and remarry (Matthew 19:9, Luke 16:18) but couldn't be bothered to give an opinion about slavery, even when confronted directly by it. (Luke 7:1-10 )

Attached: jesus with slave owner.jpg (512x485, 102.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kingjamesbibleonline.org/Revelation-13-10/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Slavery of Jesus time and the abuse of africans as slave of the 16th to 19th century have little in common. Study history my friend. It was more akin to minimum wage job of today where all you can afford is to live by. They provided the slave with food and housing and he was free to move about, he wasn't chained. Sure it is a low status position, just as it is now with minimum wages. Most often the slaves were paying back debts with work

god wants us to suck it up and obey?

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would show to Christ. 6And do this not only to please them while they are watching, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart}.…Ephesians 6:5

Yes, like Christ, who was the most powerful, richest, had everything, literally God, did not consider it robbery to let it all go, become the lowest of all, poor, a slave, spat upon and crucified. The servant is not greater than the master. So if the master submitted and humbled himself even to a cross, how much more are we to submit

isn't that convenient for those in power?

Attached: jesus puppet.jpg (570x710, 126K)

Only God is in charge.

What is convenient about having power in a godless age?

Whether or not something is convenient to someone and whether or not it is true are completely independent questions and to mix the two is an act of willful ignorance caused by concupiscence.

Give to Caesar what is Caesar's. Be good to the people who serve you and depend on you. If others aren't and they call themselves Christians, point it out to them and, if they refuse to change, leave them. That is all. God will judge the remaining people.

Pick up your cross.

Slavery is different when practiced by different people at different times

Actually it would be three
John 4
16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

Attached: 2BAD14E8-D3DA-45D5-B1B0-96534FC2E347.png (1000x510, 952.43K)

Slavery was a-ok, its only sinful now.
See:
Highest Authority is God. He says he has no opinion.
Second Highest Authority is the state. It said then that slavery was fine, and now it says it isn't.
There's also the family but that's more personal.

Attached: 38523a442fdae56113eb02c5c620e7b894e4ef2b840cef11b2f677fe67cc5fc4.gif (633x443, 14.89M)

Slaves were usually criminals or prisoners of war back then. Even so, in the slave states of the US, you would have been better off obeying your master than defying him as the latter would only get you killed.

pick one
Muslim conquerors are righteous authorities if they don't force you to disobey God blatantly, but would many be willing to submit to them today if the implementation of their rule suddenly came about? Is so then you got a point.

Both

That is becuase those in power are burdened with the weight of responsability, in theory, they shoudln't be abusing their power and should be leading the people in a just and righgeous way. The more you are give, the more God expects from you and your judgement will be harsher.

OP, I kindly suggest you to read the verse before Matthew 19:9.

"Jesus answered, “It was because of your hardness of heart that Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but it was not this way from the beginning."

Same for slavery. Same for God allowing Israel having a king. Same for poligamy. Same for animal sacrifice. Now The New Covenant forbids slavery, divorce, poligamy and animal sacrifices because Jesus came to redeem the world and free us from sin. He came and fulfilled the promise of giving us a heart of flesh instead the heart of stone.

Attached: 053 - UQkezoX.jpg (1500x1610, 621.27K)

If Christian theology of submission to worldly powers was convenient why were the romans so angry about it?

Christians are only bound to submission of wordly powers if the Government does what he is supposed to do.

"Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to the king as the supreme authority, or to governors as those sent by him to punish evildoers and praise well-doers." 1 Peter 2:14

Bow down to the Emperor and acknowledge his supposed godlike nature is idolatry and shall not be tolerated by any Christian.

Because we recognize only one King, and Judge, and Law-Giver, and will never bow down to a pathetic mortal filled with sin who is an offense to God, and a created animal. (what creates and animates is infinitely better than the created or animated).

Slavery is ownership (of person and rights) by someone else. It describes the relationship between people, not abuse or pain and misery inflicted upon someone else.

Slave and Servant at the time were colloquial. Asides this old times slavery were different from slavery of later era.

>and will never bow down to a pathetic mortal filled with sin who is an offense to God, and a created animal.
Please educate yourself about Christianity

I have. We do not worship human mortals, and sinners are an offense to God, and we are created animals (I purposefully drop "rational" from that at times).

Humans are not mortal, we have immortal soul, but corruptible body.
And yet, you are ordered to obey the government, even though it was made by sinners. Your first post doesnt emphasizes this, rather saying retarded "bow down" that has double meaning.
No, we are created living icons of God, made in His image and likeness, who "God created to be immortal, and made him to be an image of his own eternity.". We are not animals, but supreme creation.
Nobody cares. Calling humans "animals" in Christian theology is enough to sound retarded already.

Where?

Sounds exactly like slavery in the US, for the most part.

ecclesiastes was pretty clear on this.

It is the will of God to be enslaved sometimes (see Joseph in Egypt).
Sin is not the will of God.

I guess killing isn't a sin either, huh?

bump

No, but murder is.

t. somebody who has no idea how US slavery worked

Not him, but I do know of a passage in revelations that looks like it prohibits slavery to me.
kingjamesbibleonline.org/Revelation-13-10/

Doesn't look like it to me

hate to be that guy but show me where that is? And know, Jesus talking about Adam and Eve being the first isn't the same thing as saying that any other form of marriage is wrong.

no***

"No longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a fellow man and as a brother in the Lord."
Philemon 1:16.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Galatians 3:28.

Would you advocate the slavery of your fellow brother in Christ?
Read your Bible, brother.

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator made them male and female, and said, For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Matthew 19:4-6.

This is marriage in the New Covenant and this was marriage in the beginning. God permited poligamy because of the hardness of heart of men. But now, Jesus came and gave us a heart of flesh. Fufilling the prophecy of Ezekiel.

"And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh" Ezekiel 11:19.
"Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26.

Because slavery isn't actually morally wrong, unlike adultery