I'm 30 and live at home with my parents

The story of the US couple successfully winning the right to evict their 30-year-old son from their home, has prompted a number of 30-somethings to get in touch with the BBC about their experiences of living with their parents. Reasons for staying at home range from the culturally acceptable to the financial. Here, people in their 30s describe their current living arrangements with mum and dad.
Derek Radcliffe, 30, Calgary, Canada
"I have lived my whole life in Calgary, an oil and gas-based city. I saw an abundance of oil and gas jobs in the industry growing up, and becoming a petroleum geologist seemed like a natural course to take.
"I was thrilled when I got my first permanent job at a small oil company, and later I had saved enough money for a down payment on a small townhouse.
"But in July 2016 the company I worked for declared bankruptcy as the price of oil fell. I received no severance but I was able to sell my townhouse (at a loss) right before the company went under.
"My parents and I have always had a good relationship and they were gracious enough to let me move back in with them. They recognise and understand the issues young Canadians encounter.
"A lot of my friends are in the same position and understand the situation I am in. If anything, it's me who is putting pressure on myself to leave home.
"There is still considerable volatility in my employment and in the Canadian oil and gas industry. I am not confident in moving forward and purchasing or renting a new place.
"I would now consider myself in a place of 'precarious employment'. I have no employment insurance, no health or dental coverage. I am not alone in my career uncertainty. I feel I have done everything right, but I still feel anxiety towards the future of my career.
"Right now, 'leaving the nest' is just not a financially wise decision."
Helen, 37, Wales, UK
"Tuition fees were introduced at the time I was applying for university so I couldn't afford to go away from home to study.
"I stayed home and studied at the Open University whilst juggling a business and part-time jobs to pay for tuition, business expenses, transport, domestic contributions and saving for a house deposit.
"By the time I graduated from the four-year degree and teaching qualification, house prices in my area had quadrupled - £45,000 starter homes went up to £180,000, and I have been priced out ever since.
"It was devastating - if I got a full-time job at 16 and saved I would have been able to buy a house!
"I think my chance of buying my own home has probably gone. I tried to get a good education, but when I worked it out, I was worse off having gone to university."
"I have a friend who was in the same situation at first. But because of the 'Bank of Mum and Dad' who helped her out, things were never the same between us.
"You do feel cut off from people because you feel you become different from them. It can be isolating.
"I've kind of given up now. When I was around 30, I wanted to move out but you get to the point that it's not worth it. I could probably get a deposit together but my wages are not enough to pay for a mortgage.
"In some ways living at home is a good thing because of family health issues - I might have had to come back home anyway. My parents are elderly, so it's probably too late to move out now.
"I'm paying towards household bills and groceries. We try to make the best of it, but we do get fed up of society saying I should move out - sometimes you don't always have a choice!"
Heidi, 37, California, US
"I have a full-time job and help at home by paying towards the mortgage, utilities, and I do household chores.
"Even though I contribute at home, I still follow my parents' house rules - the main one is that I can't bring a male visitor to stay at my parents' house overnight.
"Also, I have to let them know if I'm going out, where I'm going and with whom just in case of emergency, but I don't mind. It's just a sign of gratitude and respect.
"In my culture as a Filipino, it's normal for children to live with their parents even if they're all grown up. We have a close-knit family.
"I think when parents take care of their kids from newborn to 18, it's the kids' turn to take care of their parents when they get old.
"Nowadays, people are trying to save money especially after college when a lot of us are in debt so more people are staying longer at home with parents.
"I have four siblings who all moved out when they got married. I'm still single and so I'm at home. But I don't feel any pressure to move out. The thought of moving out by myself never occurred to me."

archive.fo/eXCTb
bbc.com/news/world-44236706

Other urls found in this thread:

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/25/most-americans-unaware-that-as-u-s-manufacturing-jobs-have-disappeared-output-has-grown/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You have to go back.

Practicals > Culture. All day every day. A nation with no pragmatism won't last enough to build, or keep, a strong and vibrant culture anyway.

You first, POLyp
Zig Forums.org/pol/

You have to go back to equal misery.

No you.
This is a board that disavows all forms of bigotry, included bigotry against people that live with their parents.

-just millennial things

I'd complain but these posts are way better quality than I thought this thread would be since they're not an unsuccessful boomer's unfunny shoops

t. buttblasted sageposter

yes goy, move out so you have to take out a (((loan))) and become an indentured servant to us for the rest of your life

hilarious and original

Attached: fe41f6d557f8ca14810bf85f141a05e027f9710d7ecdf30a5571f6fa776c91ab.jpg (480x360, 22.92K)

bumping for moar salt

heh

Attached: counterargument.png (434x313, 53.98K)

whoops, meant for

is an obvious Zig Forums falseflag tho tbh, and intensely homosexual

bump

You have to go back

Attached: giphy.gif (360x360, 273.88K)

t. summerfag who can't into board linking spouting a catchphrase he heard on le nazi board

Reported

You have to go back

Attached: NotCCap_00011.gif (960x536, 1.76M)

are you the sperg who had a meltdown yesterday? you seem like him

sure is Kafka in here

you have to start your summer reading

which one? gonna have to get a little moar specific than that lol

go watch pewdiepie or something, squeaker

I really enjoyed reading your lolcow ban appeal that drunken vol posted in the other thread yesterday tbh
Total cringe and lulz
have another bump of freedum

No. I was beating muh dick yesterday.

Attached: sei_7232552.jpg (748x392, 52.76K)

do your summer reading, squeaker

get on my level newb

Men don't have to leave their parents home anymore more because well fare state. The state is playing the roles men used to play–husbands and fathers. Sure you can be stupid and leave the house anyways but you'll just end up getting exploited. Well fare state needs to die so we can have our culture back.

The previous generation is just waiting for the current generation to die so they can have a future but by the time they die it will be too late.

nice meme. manufacturing jobs have declined due to increasing efficiency in manufacturing tech, not "shipping jobs" anywhere. it simply takes fewer people to produce a car, tv, etc. these days. manufacturing itself, especially in weapons and medical tech, is very solid in the US still, it's just the number of workers required is lower.

Attached: promised-reality-label-g-m-os-signs-monsanto-protection-act-end-wars-12017233.png (500x522, 93.62K)

Even nicer meme. Yes that's what happened. All that modernization that occurred in the factories that closed years ago when Nixon signed that trade deal with China.

sauce or fuck off

and Slick Willie with NAFTA

The manufacturing output of the country continues to grow, while the number of factories and workers declines. That's called e f f i c i e n c y.

>nice proofs

i am 31 and live at home ama

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/25/most-americans-unaware-that-as-u-s-manufacturing-jobs-have-disappeared-output-has-grown/

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (640x359, 27.15K)

this is my cousin, the kid of my uncle who works at nintendo ask him anything about nintendo :^)

i will get u banned from the miiverse if u talk shit m8

either way the jobs aren't there and the meme about working blue collar factory floor stuff to get your foot in the door is bullshit.

my uncle is head admin of the miiverse, that's one of his jobs at nintendo, you're already b& kiddo

The BLS’ index of labor productivity for manufacturing is two and a half times higher than it was at the beginning of 1987. This reflects several factors, among them businesses investing more in machinery and replacing old machines with more advanced ones; workers becoming more skilled and educated; and firms streamlining and improving their industrial processes. Economists track productivity growth closely. As Christine Lagarde, managing director of the International Monetary Fund, commented earlier this year, “it is the most important source of higher income and rising living standards over the long term. It allows us to substantially grow the economic pie, creating larger pieces for everyone.”

I know the jobs aren't there, that wasn't the argument. You blamed the lack of jobs on "shipping jobs" somewhere and gutting our manufacturing industry, and i am demonstrating those jobs are gone due to increased efficiency of manufacturing tech.

Yeah, and you've shown evidence supporting your argument that automation is one of the factors at play. You haven't disproven my specific point that manufacturing jobs (and call centers and other white collar shit) are also a factor. You also haven't disproven my broader point, which is that there are no or not enough jobs to be had.

You haven't proven your point, period. You've just made assertions without evidence. It's not on me to disprove your vague claims. Back up your argument with evidence or stfu.
Provide evidence of this assertion as well.

Your evidence doesn't refute my central point that there are no jobs. Stop changing the subject or just fuck off.

Your multiple assertions are backed by no evidence and you clearly cannot back them up with evidence so there's nothing else for me to say to you. Go back to facebook.

Why am I not surprised?

I'm rich! I'm rich!

I've asserted there are no jobs, and you've tried to obfuscate that any way you can, in this case by regurgitating stock insults at me.

>grr I'm using bold to show how cereal and right I am

surprise bitch

You only get back from your children what was put into them. I wouldn't lay this phenomenon entirely at the feet of the parents, but however those children grew up, they weren't responsible for raising themselves.

Disgusting

You should enter the mental gymnastics olympics tbh

Your damage control is palpable

MODS

You should make an argument instead of throwing shit and hoping it will stick tbh

I'm hoping for his sake he's only being ironically cringey.

There has been an obscene dip in quality of the posts here lately.

it is a mystery

Attached: summer-time-1405961074jxc-1.jpg (1920x960, 344.39K)

you should never give away your tactics tbh

you should lurk more then

I am 57 yrs of age and have fucked 1 female several times,got 4 BJs(2 by males)Fingered and kissed and ate out my cousin and sister in my teens.

That's it for my sexual hestory

I live with my parents

I am trapped

Gods help me

fuck you

back story? asking for a friend

Attached: wahoo.mp4 (1280x720, 608.45K)

Or save up while working a fuckton then getting training for a trade, getting the fuck out of the deadend jobs, and getting decent money. Then either stay the course or aim for an even better career/trade.

How Did OP upload a 264 mb video file?
Inside job?

also dupe vid

Hipster millennial leech look for new host to attach itsself to.

I don't think you can roll this into an "I trole you" situation.
Also, there's plenty of jobs out there. The problem is their either trade skill jobs or college degree jobs. If you go to a job interview and your hobbies are arguing on the internet, anime titties, and eating ice cream you're probably not gonna make a cut.

You seem mad about job prospects but tell me how many times you apply a week? Did you know there's a rule of thumb that states if you apply to at least two places a day it will take a month or so for every $10,000 on payroll? If you honestly are in the no skill labor section then you'll have to compete with the Mexicans in construction.

Or you can keep jacking off to 2D in your folks basement. Whatever makes you happy I don't judge.

Attached: images (3).jpeg (237x212, 5.69K)

oooooooooohhhhh pole oh muh leftypole ohhhhhhh poles yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeessssss pole
t. retarded shitposters on a dying irrelevant shithole

You can't live with your parents if they died from chemtrails, pollution, poisons, brainwash, etc

this is 18 years ago to now. f

Attached: 0d1.jpg (640x559, 22.6K)

this. ffs

I believe the bit about you being 57 and living with your parents

if I put my dick into my children, then shouldnt I evict them so I dont get raped later?

I havent seen - does this fool have a job? he must have done all those interviews in one day after the haring, since its clear he only has one fancy shirt and tie, and purple at that.

"ai and 2008 fucked up the jobs, so i turn to shitposting to forget"

oh and mopping floors in a dollar store is such a special and hard job johnny nep?

white,poor,males are the evilest thing in the world and we can live without them!

Attached: roasties.png (500x366, 80.17K)