Improvised Weapons for Big Boys

This thread is for the discussion of weapons other than small arms that could be manufactured on a limited industrial base such as that held by the PIRA, FARC or Biafra.
Light weapons are not excluded from this thread, only small arms are.
The thread assumes industrial capacity well above a shed with some handtools, but not that of an established state.
Shit like that homemade SAM that the Canuck came up with is the essence of this thread.
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/13/iras-recoilless-improvised-grenade-launcher/
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/11/07/improvised-rifle-grenades-use-called-islamic-state-mosul-fight/

Attached: International_Mine_Action_Center_in_Syria_(Aleppo)_12.jpg (3584x3184 995.49 KB, 3.35M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device
atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-10#mortar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is my personal favourite, you can drive down the MSR through a checkpoint before setting up 2km away and raining death.

Attached: 2uU4Qxv.jpg (599x337 75.62 KB, 21.39K)

Explosively formed projectiles are cool.

Attached: gr2007100102020.gif (970x500, 182.68K)

The Syrian military recently made a display of primarily improvised or heavily modified weapon systems and vehicles acquired from militant groups during the conflict. I'll dump some pictures.

Attached: Syria2018-045-X2.jpg (1280x853 322.52 KB, 240.74K)

Attached: Syria2018-122-X2.jpg (1280x853 264.08 KB, 270.23K)

Here's some improvised mortars and homemade MRL to come.

Attached: Syria2018-133-X2.jpg (1280x853 356.97 KB, 339.6K)

More MRLs and some homemade drones for suicide attacks, such as those which were shot down over Khmeim airbase.

Attached: Syria2018-143-X2.jpg (1280x853 311.54 KB, 325.85K)

Those propane can bombs are so common in Syria. There has to be an ISIS manual on their use and construction somewhere the designs are just way too standardized to all have been independently thought of.

Brother!

Attached: UkrainianDhole.jpg (800x530, 165.79K)

Are OP's picture legal if they were insert like those training rifle grenades?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructive_device
It seems you could legally use inert rounds provided you registered the mortar itself? As an inert round doesn't require a tax stamp?

atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-10#mortar

So does anyone have the Canuck screencaps about the SAM?

The Syrian conflict was probably the best thing to happen for the development of improvised heavy weaponry.
Look at those armured SUVs. I bet they can shrug off 7.62x51.
All of this ingenuity with very few parts.
Look at that last drone. See the landing gear: that's a fucking carbon fiber reinforced polymer. How on earth did they even get access to that? It's already difficult to build stuff like that over here unless you have access to some very good equipment and knowledge. These guys must have had some very bright heads among them, though I doubt that the cable they punched through that part is really good for anything.
I love how they tried to make the thing weathe resistant with plastic foil. It's stupidly simple, and yet effective (even though it will ruin whatever aerodynamics the rectangular body used to have).
Why are all the tires blackened though? They obviously didn't put on brand new tires on these things, right?

This tbh. The range and accuracy may be shit, but if you want to take out a tank, take a bag of explosives and put it in a shaped metal box. Either drop that on top of a hatch, or blow it right underneath the tank.

I believe it was for vehicles and equipment where the tires were completely wrecked. The Russians also used the models for display purposes, so they might have done it. They didn't do it for every wheeled vehicle, but then again they didn't replace tracks for this Centurion, so you got me.

Attached: Improvised Weapon Mount.jpg (1280x853 285.73 KB, 441.4K)

Poor thing. How many decades did it spend rusting innadesert just to get pushed into service one more time, to get abandoned by it's crew, only to get refurbished by some fags and to be crudely modified by some dudes with a welder, only to ride into battle as a monstrous abomination, get abandoned once more and put on display in this miserable condition.
I want to take a grinder to those Schürzen, oil it's turret ring, and clean out all the gunk in the engine. I want to see her smile again.

The only reason I could imagine them blacking the tires is because it would keep them from dry-rotting if they needed to move it around or it was on display at a museum, or keep them in good condition if they need to pull them off and use them on something else.

They have the thickness of the steel stenciled on them.

I disagree. It lived as it was born, a machine of war. No amount of rust, ad-hoc welds, or wear and tear can hide its nobility of purpose. It belongs on the battlefield, dirty and scarred, covered in whatever shitty contraptions are required to keep it usable.
To be polished and babied like a tesla owned by a homosex, that is the cruellest fate.

Attached: pray_to_the_kube.jpg (2816x2112, 473.36K)

The whole Syrian conflicts looks as if a bunch of sandniggers that somehow accidentally LARP'd as the GLA, holy shit! But man isn't it fucking amazing at how much scrap they managed to bolt on to any working motorized chassis they could find?
Also thread theme

Fam, the Houthis are still using rusted T-34s as emplacement guns. Speaking of the Houthis, they managed to took down dozen of Abrams but they don't seem to have any interests in commandeering any of it, is it true that Toyotas are that fucking valuable in the Middle East compared to a fucking Abrams?

I'd take the toyota over the tank due to the fact that I refuse to deal with having a maintenance heavy beast.

Ave Nex Alea

Attached: yugekubeflag.jpg (5000x3000, 1.02M)

I don't know, at first i suppose they could strip the tank into scraps and use those expensive armor plating into vehicles. Then i just realized that the Abrams has composite armor so it's going to be a pain in the ass to scrap it down. After thay i thought that they could have used the friggin thing as a pillbox or some shit. But at that point that must have been redundant as fuck since the Houthis are playing a Hit-n-Run game with the sauds. Lastly, i thought 'maybe they could just like booby-trap it' until it occured to me that the Sauds they are up against.
So with that out of the way, i conclude thay Burger equipment are very much terrible for sandnigger insurgents.

What use Houthis have for Abrams when enemies have relative air superiority?

What do you mean? Do you mean that Houthi thing where they rigged air to air to work as a ground to air missile and shot down a Saudi plane?

Attached: toyota hilux 421321.jpg (640x360 102.93 KB, 1.61M)

I love the idea that some militant engineer in Marawi had the idea of using wood as armor.

Attached: ISIS Anti-Tank Gun.jpg (980x490 88.14 KB, 98.72K)

Can you import DDs such as AT-3 Saggers into the country?

Attached: 199_86563_855902_zps05ff71b3.jpg (900x600, 134.57K)

Why don't you look at the wide variety of foreign .50+ caliber AT rifles in the US before realizing how stupid of a question you just asked was.

Attached: 9af.gif (640x360, 393.35K)

arent they all pre1964 though?

It describes Zig Forums as well as the countless militant movements around Africa, SEA and the ME, but it's still an accurate comparison.

Attached: Battlefleet Gothic Armada - Ork Fleet Introduction.mp4 (640x360, 9.64M)

You should be able to make something similar by buying model parts.
Hell you should be able to make something better.

Is that little one with the blue tank a propane mortar?

Found this pic on Twatter

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1200x810, 824.67K)

Attached: Toyota changing the Truck world.webm (640x360, 2.43M)

That's good

Attached: 50B91214-F62E-4F86-A5B1-C0784B12E052.jpeg (1200x900 2.3 MB, 272.32K)

Attached: disdain.gif (276x282, 1.99M)

Shameful display

To be fair, the 105mm gun is also a ford and is also a professionally done conversion. The chart also tries to sell the same 23mm AA gun as something different a whole three times and calls a 73mm Grom off a BMP a "tank" gun. Basically its shit, made by someone who knows nothing and we can do much better.

Attached: Brightidea.PNG (209x369, 41.59K)

The saddest part is that out there are more modern, lighter Monstruos, but it had to choose the shittiest, heaviest of all just because of the "wow" factor.