Innawoods advice

Zig Forumsillers of men,

I want to go learn bushcraft and generally be less of an indoor fag. The area I live in has bears though and I'm not sure how to deal with them.

Are they generally aggressive? Can I look forward to one dragging me out of my sleeping bag?

Also can a 9mm kill a bear? I've got a Glock 19 I'm planning to bring.

Attached: BAM.jpg (634x960, 105.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×57mm_Mauser
ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Almost any cartridge can kill almost any animal but how much do you want to rely on perfect shot placement? I'd just get a .357 magnum.

I've had a lot of interactions with bears, and they've never scared me, random meth-heads in the middle of nowhere freak me out.

I was a camp night watchman for a few years and made throwing rocks at bears a sport, they'd come around every night and try and get into the dumpsters. Always had a gun, never even came close to useing it on bears, abandoned dogs and people are another story. Bears are not quite animals, normally sound like a blind man in the woods, it's just that most people are entirely incapable of shuting the fuck and listening.

A 9mm will work, provided it's not a big brown bear, although if you want to do bushcrafty stuff, I'd recommend a single shot 12ga, it's really a do-it-all gun, I cut mine down to 18.5", it breaks down into my backpack, still works for birds and small game, and slugs/buckshot for self defense.

Also checkout condor knife and tool, I have a few of their knives and an axe and they're seriously good value for the money.

Spend more time in the woods and get to know the woods.
With enough bullets, stick with 10mm, 7.62 Tokarev, and magnum calibers.

Knights used to fight brown bears. Why can't you fight a grizzly?

:Are they generally aggressive?
I never meet a bear in real life so I don’t know.

Maybe you need the laser tripwire alarm to wake you up when they are close.

No clue

Why even bother responding?

Just trying to help. Laser tripwire alarm is a good idea. Being eaten alive by the bear is not a pleasant way to die.

Yes but you only get retribution of it dying a slow painful death from sepsis while it digests you.

Of coursh!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×57mm_Mauser

not unless you advertise yourself as food or approach a baby with mama around.
usually not
yes, but bigger is better

Depends on the type of bear, the season and how hungry it is.
Black bears? Fuck no. Just shout and they run off as long as they aren't starving.
See above. Look up the types of bears in your area online and/or call a local ranger to get some first hand infos about areas you should avoid/ that are safe.
Depends on age, health, and shot placement. In theory you could kill any land animal using .22LR, it's just going to take a a lot of time for them to bleed out.
Get in touch with local rangers and shit. It's their job to preserve nature and make sure city-fags like you don't die or damage anything.

Black or brown bears? Huge difference.

You will never have a problem with a black bear that can't be solved by shouting at it and waving your arms around while slowly backing away.

A brown bear is a different story altogether. 9mm, .357, .44… they CAN all kill a brown bear, but unless you know YOU can do it (perfect shot placement under stress), a gunshot wound is just going to make the bear kill you harder. In this case, as much as I hate to say it, you're better off with bear spray.

And please, make sure you're using a bear bag/canister to store all your food.

To clarify:
Black bears are not aggressive at all unless you're actively fucking with them or their cubs. They are, however, very curious and will allow themselves to get close to you. If this happens, you don't want to startle them… just let them do their thing; don't even shout at them unless they notice you and you're worried they'll ACTUALLY attack you.

Brown bears aren't actually very aggressive either. It's not like they'll catch a whiff of you from a distance and decide to track you down and kill you. It's just that if they feel threatened AT ALL, they WILL defend themselves without hesitating. If you find yourself being charged by a brown bear, it's already almost too late to use bear spray, and way too late to land the perfect shot with your 9mm. If you spot one close to you, tiptoe your ass away from it, do not make eye contact, and be ready to fight back if necessary. Playing dead won't work.

Aggression has an inherent cost to it, most animals are not aggressive. This is why wolves play-act fighting dominance struggles, because engaging in actual fights is dangerous.
There are exceptions of course, but usually it's with faster breeding animals like herbivores, because losing 1 goat kid out of 10 to dumb aggressive behavior is less evolutionary pressure than losing 1 tiger pup out of 3 to dumb aggressive behavior.

Also any animal will defend itself if it feels that you're threatening it, its progeny, or its territory/food source.
This is because animals have no fallback of a tribe who will catch them if they stumble or have a "bad year". If they lose access to a few square meters of territory a year, pretty soon they'll be starving to death. They defend these things with their life.

Bears mostly attack because they can't see how big you are, so they can't judge how dangerous you are, and halt their aggression. Also the blurry shape they DO see when they spot a human looks like a VERY thin, weak and young bear standing in challenge. Basically any human walking on two legs looks like some punk flipping them the bird.

I've heard that bearsdetermine how dangerous someone is by how large and tall he is, so if you met a bear that didn't decide whether it wants to eat you or not just yet you can put your huge backpack above you so it sees a large figure, shits itself and fucks off, though i've got no trust or faith in source of that. Bears also are not very good at running downhill, so if it chases you try to run down from some hill - they either crawl slowly down or slide on their ass, sometimes rolling down. In both cases the bear is either losing distance or losing you out of sight. I don't know what kind of bear the person was talking about but it was Russia so probably brown.

Usain Bolt sprints at 28mph, and the fastest a human could run before the limbs tore off is about 40mph. This was calculated in a computer, based on the force it takes to tear a human leg off at the knee, if a human were to run at 40mph the leg would swing at such centripetal force that it would be torn off.

The average bear jogs at 25mph and can sprint at 37mph, in rough terrain. More importantly, while Usain Bolt can run on perfectly flat ground at 28mph, he can probably only run 15mph over any kind of rough ground, grass, bush without risking tripping or breaking a leg. You aren't Usain Bolt, you could SPRINT at maybe 5-10mph over relatively flat forest terrain. So the bear is always at least four to eight times faster than you.

tl;dr there is only one reason to sprint when faced with a bear:
1. the bear is 100 feet away
2. your rifle is 10 feet away
3. youre sprinting towards the rifle so you can turn around and shoot the bear
In all other cases running is not an option when you face a bear, even bikers often don't stand a chance.

Does this really look like a face that would violently maul you to death and play hopscotch with your intestines?

Attached: 1401281173054.jpg (1600x1200, 182.04K)

For that matter, I don't see why bears would be so protective of their cubs when the cubs spend their time learning kung-fu to be able to defend themselves.

Attached: 050612-100..jpg (600x400, 37.61K)

And it all else fails, OP, just offer to mate with the bear. Who knows, you might just get lucky.

Wink, wink.

Attached: 1401281221061.jpg (700x709, 202.81K)

Agreed. Just learn to sexualize your fears OP.

An old lady killed a large grizzly with .22 long.
ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/
Not a record sized grizzly like the article says, but well above average. Her first shot from 10 yards hit the bear in the side of the head and may have killed or stunned the bear, then she finished it off with more shots to the head. Note that .22 long is even smaller cartridge than .22 long rifle.

Shot placement is everything, but in general people recommend .357 magnum, .45 super, 10mm, or .44 magnum in handguns. A 12 gauge with slugs works and you can buy pump shotguns for $200.

Black bears are rarely aggressive and are in fact very likely to run away from humans, loud noises, and sudden movements, they are smaller and have claws made for climbing. Grizzly bears are much larger, stronger, more aggressive, and have long claws built for digging, but they will absolutely fucking things up when used as a weapon. Both bears are attracted to strong smells, either food or exotic stuff (shampoo, candy) they've never/rarely smell.

Attached: 22_Long,_22_LR,_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG (351x450 37.87 KB, 19.53K)

Attached: B310AE45-76B6-431C-978C-4FC228BF4BBE.png (728x426, 260.56K)

Notice how he said kill, not stop the bear in one shot.

Take a neighbor loli with you while you at it. This way you'll become real-life Rambo by the end of it if you survive. +Traditional family innawoods as in Zig Forums dreams.

If you gonna bug out for any considerable amount of time, don't bring guns. You gonna run out of ammo or your gun will fail, whichever comes sooner, and then you're shit out of luck. Instead, read up on crafting traps and get skilled with it. Simple materials found in the wild can be used for armature, springs, snares and spikes.

Virtually all wild animals are skittish and prefer to walk away, because every violent confrontation may end in death, either instant or delayed due to debilitation from injuries. All predators prey on weak and small animals, specifically to minimize the change of death. But also a lot of animals are very protective of their offspring and will get defensive with little provocation, so be respectful and keep your distance. Human is a pretty fucking large animal (if not very strong) so there's basically no chance of you getting attacked for food, and all animals are universally afraid of fire so you can exploit this for protection.

If you're attacked by a bear, it happens at a very short distance, and you will not possibly carry a gun that can put down a bear instantly, so if the bear didn't decide to back off due to injury he'll tear you to shreds no matter what gun you use. If the bear wasn't serious about killing you, a simple bluff would suffice, or if it comes to direct contact, a sharp stick will do the job of delivering an injury the bear wouldn't want to put up with over killing you.

Bears in some areas understand that the sound of a shot = dinner time. More common with grizzlies who will take your kill and walk off with if provided he doesn't feel like trying to fuck you first. Also the season somewhat determines how aggressive the fucks can be, if its later in the year when food is scarce they're gonna be more enticed to try and fuck with people given they see us as a threat to them and their food.

t. someone that lives in a country where civilians are almost entirely disarmed