The Veil

Should Christian girls wear traditional veils to Church as a sign of modesty, or is this an outdated tradition?

1 Cor 11:3-5: "But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonours his head, but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonours her head – it is the same as if her head were shaven."

Attached: Catholic veil.jpg (1000x1500, 289.09K)

Any modest head covering will do.

I suppose we should not pray or fast either because the Muslims stole that from us as well.

I second this. It should be done in church primarily and I would say that wearing it outside of church might be acceptable as well. Nothing hijab like, but definitely what is in OP's pic. Of course it should be the woman's choice whether or not to wear it outside church.

My gf wears one. I like them. It serves as great modesty and covering of all the hubbub that women put into their appearance. Granted, I do think she looks better in a veil than anything else, which is a bit ironic, but perhaps I'm simply attracted to modesty.

1 Cor 11:14 - 15: "Doesn’t nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. "

Long hair is a valid head covering for women. This is reinforced in OPs citation where 'a woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonours her head - it is the same as if her head were shaven'
shaven head = no hair = no head covering

Veils aren't necessary if the woman in question has long hair
Paster Anderson has a sermon on this

Not to speak badly about head coverings, I think they're neat and quite useful from a modesty point of view. All I'm saying is that it isn't necessary for a woman with unshaven hair. modest is hottest after all xDD

As an aside, I visit this board sporadically and was just wondering what happened to the denomination flags? They appear to be missing since the last time I was here

I'd wager just about every man on here would agree with you, myself included.

There is no good authority for reading “veil” instead of “power,” as some do. We should observe: (1.) Power denotes here the authority, right, or rule of the man over the woman, not of the woman herself. The reference is to Gen. iii. 16.
(2.) Power, by metonymy, signifies here the symbol of the man’s power, the veil which the woman wears on her head to signify her subjection to her husband’s power, and to denote that the man, as it were, is enthroned upon and holds dominion over her head. Power here, then, is used with an active meaning with regard to the man, with a passive in regard to the woman; for a veil is worn by one who reverences the power of another. As a bare and unconstrained head is a sign of power and dominion, so when veiled it is a sign that this power of his is as it were veiled, fettered, and subdued to another. Hence Tertullian (de Cor. Mil, c. xiv.) calls this covering worn by women, “The burden of their humility,” and (de Vel. Virg. c. xvii.) “their yoke.” S. Chrysostom calls it “The sign of subjection;” the Council of Gangra (sess. xvii.), “The memorial of subjection.”
(3.) From this covering it was that, by the Latins, women are said nubere, that is, caput obnubere, when they pass into the power of a husband. On the other hand, in the case of a man, a cap was the badge of the freedman, as Livy says at the end of lib. 45. Hence slaves who were to be enrolled as liable to military service, were said to be called “to the cap,” that is, to liberty.

The Latin Version reads, “Neither doth nature itself teach you,” i.e., Nature doth not teach that women should be veiled, but it does teach that if a man grow long hair, it is a disgrace to him; if a woman, it is her glory.

Ver. 15.—But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. To let the hair grow long is contrary to what becomes man, is the mark of a weak and effeminate mind, unless it is done because of ill-health or intense cold. Hence S. Augustine reproves some monks who wore their hair down to their shoulders, to gain the appearance and reputation of holiness (de 0p. Monach.). Again, it seems fitting for a man to pray with uncovered head, for a woman with covered, as the Apostle has proved here. The woman ought, therefore, to let her hair grow long, but not the man, for her hair was given her for her covering.

Take note, however, that it is not absolutely enjoined, either by natural, Divine, or ecclesiastical law, that a woman should let her hair grow long and man should not. On the other hand, the men of some tribes, like the Gauls, used to let their hair grow long for an ornament. Hence we get the name of Gallia Comata. Homer, too, frequently speaks of the “long-haired Achæans.” The Romans, also, in ancient times, grew their hair long, and did not apply the scissors till the time of Scipio Africanus. Pliny says (lib. vii. c. 59) that the first barbers came into Italy from Sicily, A.U.C. 454. Lycurgus also enacted that the Lacedæmonians should retain their hair. S. Paul, therefore, is not laying down any rule, but merely points to the teaching of nature, that it is fitting for a woman, when she goes out in public, to go with bonnet and veil, but not for a man. Still, he here adopts the decency taught by nature, and wishes the Corinthians to observe it as if it were a precept, hence he adds—

Ver. 16.—But if any man seem to be contentious. To be contentious is to contend for renown and victory, not for truth; and here it is to contend that Christian women should not be veiled when they pray in Church, but should be bareheaded, according to the ancient custom of the heathen.

Is it okay for a woman to shave her head as long as she wears a head covering?

My grandmother (mother's mother) used to go to church with it, but allowed my mother to go without…same with my sisters.

They're a good thing.

I come from a rural part of Eastern Europe and up until the 1990s or so it was common for women to wear veils at all times, even outside of church. The practice fell away (there's still older women that wear it every day), but now it's starting to return with the younger women who veil at church.

My village parish is also segregated by sex, lol. Women on one side of the church and men on the other.

Attached: Cardinal Burke.JPG (1024x678, 556.11K)

Head coverings are a nice cultural tradition but it's not some authoritative teaching. The Bible says that long hair brings just as much glory to the woman. Really it is up to the individual woman to choose.

Exactly. It used to be required, and to disobey the Church is a sin, so it was once a sin, but now it's no longer required. A beautiful tradition and great conveyance of modesty, however.

So, ok …

The head of the woman is her husband.
Any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled …

So, should women be putting veils on their husband?

Attached: heretic spotted1.jpg (720x478, 34.03K)

Flags are off since beginning of Lent.

based upon the Scripture quoted in my previous post, I would say yes

thanks user, God Bless

does a baseball cap or beanie count?

Attached: 1458232529723.jpg (600x337, 26.1K)

no

Attached: meanwhile.jpg (315x480, 37.68K)

veil is QT tier

Attached: f95258c537efdfcddd6b46c0723f6105.jpg (240x320 84.57 KB, 17.76K)

obeying scripture is not outdated tradition

…or helps you blend in if you're ugly

Top post tbh

I don't think it should be enforced but *they make women look cute

nice try larp. any church that requires head covering for women doesn’t care how, as long as it’s covered