Miss Liturgy 3 times = Excommunicated?

Thinking of going Ortho until I heard this. Is this for real? I sometimes have to work a lot of Sunday's. Will I really be excommunicated for missing 3 in a row?

Attached: 2vsn_1271.jpg (1200x799, 462.47K)

Not Mark 3:28-29

Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, but whoever misses mass three times never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin

no, if you've a reason for missing they won't count it against you. Like I can barely ever get to liturgy since there are no churches within 75 miles of me. If that rule applied I'd have been excommunicated long ago.

Wait a minute: you mean, miss Mass three times in a row or three times throughout your life?

I don't understand your post. Are you meant to be joking when you "don't" quote Mark 3:28-29?

It was a dumb joke, I was making fun of the idea that missing mass/liturgy three times was worthy of excommunication by posting a fake citation from scripture.

Miss Liturgy three times without a good reason and you're technically excommunicated, yes. But for that, your bishop would need to know that you missed Liturgy three times, for invalid reasons. In other words, the whole "excommunicated if you miss 3 times" thing is only there to highlight the gravity of missing church out of laziness several times in a row, it doesn't have any weight in reality.

Yes, because Christians are not required to live as a community.

For invalid reasons, of course.

If you don't know about the topic discussed, shut up.

Duuuuuude.

Sage for offtopic

Attached: 1363836308015.jpg (478x361, 12.1K)

If you've got a reason, like a work schedule you can't move, you're fine.

I just wanted to say, isn't this based off of canons from one of the first seven ecumenical councils or something? I can't remember the source but I'm pretty sure this is so far in antiquity that it would apply equal to Latins, not just an Ortho thing

Even if you were, you can be reconciled.

Yes it's real. Don't freak out. Excommunication literally just means you won't be allowed to take communion. It doesn't mean you're b& from the orthodoxy. All you have to do is talk to your priest and explain why you were gone and then you can partake of the body and blood.

If no one got it, was it a joke at all?

Been ortho all my life. That would mean my whole family and friends who attend are basically excommunicated then since they are inconsistent

Cathlodox don't believe the Bible though

At least in the Catholic Church the Saturday Vigil Service is counted as fulfilling the Sunday obligation. I expect that its likely the same in the Orthodox Church.

forgot to read

Real shit?

Yes, as long as you go either Saturday evening/night or Sunday morning the Sunday obligation is fulfilled afaik

It's speaking falsely, you know.

Most of the people in my parish probably shouldn't take communion. Barely anyone attends Vespers to give confession.

According to the ancient tradition, the day starts at sunset, so what we would think of as Saturday evening IS Sunday to the church.

But to the orthodox, it strikes us as alien to think of liturgy as some obligation. The priest would withhold the body and blood out of concern for that person, not because that person has failed to meet a quota and has therefore made some kind of offense. Priest wants to touch base with that person, to know what's going on with that person, to know why they have been absent and help work through any problems or obstacles.

Yep it was a terrible joke and not at all helpful or edifying, I'm willing to admit that

Maybe they simply don't need to confess? Or they make appointments with the priest instead?
My parish offers confession before every Divine Liturgy, and about half of the people have communion.

I know one guy in an American parish who probably shouldn't have communed though. He harassed my girlfriend during coffee hour…

I'm not so sure we don't have such a thing as Sunday obligation. Christ told us to eat His body and drink His blood, and the apostles broke bread together, and so it is a sin to avoid going to Liturgy without an excuse (which is why, canonically, you should get excommunicated for avoiding Liturgy three times in a row).

Huh, I don't remeber that part in the Bible

I don't remember reading about you using computing devices in the Bible either. Might as well throw away your computing devices.

1 Corinthians 5:11-13
But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler–not even to eat with such a one.

Numbers 15:30
'But the person who does anything defiantly, whether he is native or an alien, that one is blaspheming the LORD; and that person shall be cut off from among his people.

Romans 16:17
Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an unruly life and not according to the tradition which you received from us.